Elizabeth Johnson Trial - Jury Selection

Opening statements in the #ElizabethJohnson trial have been moved to September 20th, to ensure a jury can be selected in time.#BabyGabriel

from InSession twitter

Opening statements in the #ElizabethJohnson trial have been moved to September 20th, to ensure a jury can be selected in time.#BabyGabriel

from InSession twitter

Opening statements in AZ v. Elizabeth Johnson have been moved to Thursday, September 20th, 1:30 p.m. ET, to ensure a jury can be selected in time. A new panel of prospective jurors will be brought in this morning for continued voir dire. Johnson is charged with kidnapping, child abuse, and custodial interference in the 2009 disappearance of her 7-month-old son Gabriel.

WHAT?!?!?!? the 20th??? the 20th??? I have a darn job interview on the 20th!!! The court hates me. I just know it.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/092012/m5422951.pdf

9/11/2012 EVIDENTIARY HEARING/ JURY SELECTION (QUESTIONNAIRES)

In part.....

...This is the time set for Evidentiary Hearing regarding the Defendant’s Motion in Limine to Exclude Elizabeth Johnson’s Statement to Detective Velazquez.

Det. Jenny Velazquez is sworn and testifies (telephonically).

...The Court defers ruling pending the additional motion to be filed by the State regarding voluntariness and/or public safety issues.

IT IS ORDERED the State shall file any/all further case law to be used in argument no later than Monday, 09/17/2012.

...As to the motion filed regarding Special Agent Chavez,
Based on the motions and testimony provided previously,

IT IS ORDERED precluding the statement(s) made to Special Agent Chavez once Miranda was invoked.

THE COURT FINDS that further ruling may be needed if statements are used for impeachment purposes.

...The Court has received and reviewed the Defendant’s Motion to Remove the Defendant’s Shock Belt.
Mr. Dutcher is present representing the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.

IT IS ORDERED setting Oral Argument regarding said motion on Thursday, 09/13/2012 at 3:00 p.m. in this courtroom.

...Defense counsel orally requests the Court preclude the State from appearing at the hearing set regarding the Defendant’s detention issues.

IT IS ORDERED denying the request.

ok to me this says
defense wants the court to bar the state from the hearing regarding the shock belt? anyone?

WHAT?!?!?!? the 20th??? the 20th??? I have a darn job interview on the 20th!!! The court hates me. I just know it.

:floorlaugh: The court may hate you, but we don't. :seeya:

Like artsy1 says, We love you, seachiq -- that should be enuff....
icon10.gif

What about the shock belt ?
I still never read an answer did I?
Please someone answer, That will only
add to the drama of an already dramatic court room!
TIA

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/cop_shop/article_62cf691e-01e3-11e2-a6eb-0019bb2963f4.html

Opening arguments in Tempe mom's trial in 'Baby Gabriel' case to begin Thursday

By Mike Sakal, Tribune

More than two years after the disappearance of then 7-month old “Baby Gabriel,” the trial of his mother, Elizabeth Johnson, who has said she killed him and also that she gave him away, is scheduled to begin on Thursday.

Jury selection for the case concluded on Tuesday and opening arguments in the trial are scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m. Thursday in Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Joseph Kreamer’s courtroom...

...Authorities do not know whether Gabriel is alive or dead. If alive, he would be 3 years old. Charged with kidnapping and custodial interference, Johnson faces anywhere from nine months to 20 years in prison if convicted after the trial, which is projected to last for at least the next three months, according to prosecutors...

...It was not known whether Johnson, who has appeared at recent hearings looking haggard and disheveled, will be present in court for the opening arguments on Thursday...

More at link.

MC Superior Court‏@courtpio

Trial in the State v. Elizabeth Johnson will begin on Thursday at 10:30 and end at 2:30 pm. Normal trial schedule will resume next week.

MC Superior Court‏@courtpio

15 jurors were sworn in yesterday in the State v. Elizabeth Johnson. Opening Statements set to begin tomorrow at 10:30am.

https://twitter.com/courtpio

I just started a new thread for tomorrow's opening statements, since I'm sure there will be WSers ready to talk about the start of the trial before I even have my coffee. lol

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185117"]Elizabeth Johnson Trial - Day 1 - Opening Statements, Thursday, Sept 20 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back