Emirates airlines crash lands at Dubai

I don't think the passengers knew the plane had a small fire. I doubt it would change anything if they did. I read something a few weeks ago that said more people then not get their luggage in situations like this. I would most likely grab mine too, especially if it's right next to me. I don't know, it's been years since I traveled.

There is really IMO, no way another pass doing that is not putting others in danger. Sliding off the raft look like its easy, but two hands would def imo increase liklihood of not piling up the raft on the tarmac

jmoo!

I believe I said above, I carry pain medications on vacation, it's been years since I went anywhere so am not sure where I would hold my script, it could be in my pocketbook, but I don't like to keep it all in one spot in case someone ripped me off, so there is a chance I have a week or more in my carry on. My Dr makes me sign something saying I'm responsible for my meds, they will not replace them, not even with a police report. There is no way I would leave a bag with meds on the plane.

Received from a friend of mine whom I used to work with at Emirates.

Passenger's report posted on avherald:-

On Aug 8th 2016 a passenger reported in the reader comments on AVH below, that the approach was normal, the landing gear was down. The aircraft touched down, however, the nose was not lowered onto the runway and the aircraft appeared to climb away again, the gear was retracted, however, the engines did not spool up. The aircraft made ground contact again, skidded along the runway with the right hand engine separating from the aircraft but still being dragged along with the aircraft until the aircraft came to a full stop.

The article:-

Accident: Emirates B773 at Dubai on Aug 3rd 2016, touched down with gear retracted during go-around, aircraft on fire

By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Aug 3rd 2016 09:32Z, last updated Monday, Aug 8th 2016 22:15Z

An Emirates Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EMW performing flight EK-521 from Thiruvananthapuram (India) to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) with 282 passengers and 18 crew, was on final approach to Dubai's runway 12L at 12:41L (08:41Z) but attempted to go around after first ground contact. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames. All occupants evacuated via slides, 13 passengers received minor injuries, 10 were taken to hospitals, 3 treated at the airport. The aircraft burned down completely. A firefighter attending to the aircraft lost his life.

The airline reported: "Emirates can confirm that an incident happened at Dubai International Airport on 3rd August 2016 at about 12.45pm local time."

United Arab Emirates Government confirmed an Emirates aircraft arriving from India suffered a crash landing at Dubai Airport, all passengers have been evacuated, there are no reports of injuries.

United Arab Emirates General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) reported a firefighter attending to the fire, while saving lives, lost his own life. The director of the GCAA said: "I salute his ultimate sacrifice that kept many from harm’s way. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Emirates Airlines' chairman reported 13 passengers received minor injuries during the incident and were treated by medical teams.

On Aug 4th 2016 the airline reported that both captain and first officer had accumulated more than 7000 flying hours. The aircraft involved in the "operational incident" was equipped with Trent 800 engines and had been delivered to the airline in March 2003.

A passenger in the aft cabin reported, that the approach was normal, there had been no announcements or indications of anything abnormal. Then there was a heavy impact, oxygen masks came down, the aircraft skidded shaking violently and immediately filling with smoke and came to a stop. All doors were opened, it appeared however not all of them were used for evacuation. After sliding down the chute the passenger began to run, about 100 meters from the aircraft an explosion was heard (editorial note: watch video "The aircraft erupting into flames", the right wing caught fire and including right hand engine separated from the aircraft).

Another passenger reported that the captain made an announcement they would land at Dubai and the weather was fine, nothing appeared to be amiss. Suddenly the aircraft hit the ground tail/belly first, at the same time the right hand engine caught fire, and the aircraft skidded to a halt, smoke filled the cabin, only at this time the passengers realised the seriousness of the situation. The accident came entirely out of the blue.

A ground observer reported EK-521 made a normal approach with the landing gear extended, touched down hard and went around, the gear was retracted, however the aircraft appeared to lack power and sank back onto the runway. (Editorial note: The Aviation Herald noticed the lack of a significant detail in the narration of passengers mentioned above, there was no mention of sounds of engines spooling up).

On Aug 8th 2016 a passenger reported in the reader comments on AVH below, that the approach was normal, the landing gear was down. The aircraft touched down, however, the nose was not lowered onto the runway and the aircraft appeared to climb away again, the gear was retracted, however, the engines did not spool up. The aircraft made ground contact again, skidded along the runway with the right hand engine separating from the aircraft but still being dragged along with the aircraft until the aircraft came to a full stop.

According to ATC recordings the aircraft performed a normal approach and landing, there was no priority or emergency declared. Upon contacting tower tower advised the crew to plan to vacate the runway at taxiway M9 and cleared the aircraft to land. Another approach reported on tower frequency. About 2 minutes after EK-521 reported on tower, the crew reported going around, tower instructed the aircraft to climb to 4000 feet, the crew acknowledged climbing to 4000 feet, a few seconds later tower instructs the next arrival to go around and alerts emergency services. The position of the aircraft is described near the end of the runway.

Related NOTAM:
A1156/16 - AD CLSD. 03 AUG 11:20 2016 UNTIL 03 AUG 14:00 2016. CREATED: 03 AUG 11:18 2016

A1155/16 - AD CLSD. 03 AUG 10:00 2016 UNTIL 03 AUG 12:00 2016. CREATED: 03 AUG 10:07 2016

Metars:
OMDB 030900Z 11021KT 3000 BLDU NSC 49/07 Q0993 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 1500
OMDB 030800Z 14012KT 100V180 6000 NSC 48/09 Q0994 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 4000 DU
OMDB 030749Z 14012KT 110V180 6000 NSC 47/09 Q0994 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 4000DU
OMDB 030700Z 06007KT 360V100 8000 NSC 44/10 Q0995 NOSIG
OMDB 030600Z 06005KT 350V100 8000 NSC 42/12 Q0995 NOSIG

Passenger's report posted on avherald:-

The article:-

Accident: Emirates B773 at Dubai on Aug 3rd 2016, touched down with gear retracted during go-around, aircraft on fire

By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Aug 3rd 2016 09:32Z, last updated Monday, Aug 8th 2016 22:15Z

An Emirates Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EMW performing flight EK-521 from Thiruvananthapuram (India) to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) with 282 passengers and 18 crew, was on final approach to Dubai's runway 12L at 12:41L (08:41Z) but attempted to go around after first ground contact. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames. All occupants evacuated via slides, 13 passengers received minor injuries, 10 were taken to hospitals, 3 treated at the airport. The aircraft burned down completely. A firefighter attending to the aircraft lost his life.

The airline reported: "Emirates can confirm that an incident happened at Dubai International Airport on 3rd August 2016 at about 12.45pm local time."

United Arab Emirates Government confirmed an Emirates aircraft arriving from India suffered a crash landing at Dubai Airport, all passengers have been evacuated, there are no reports of injuries.

United Arab Emirates General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) reported a firefighter attending to the fire, while saving lives, lost his own life. The director of the GCAA said: "I salute his ultimate sacrifice that kept many from harm’s way. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Emirates Airlines' chairman reported 13 passengers received minor injuries during the incident and were treated by medical teams.

On Aug 4th 2016 the airline reported that both captain and first officer had accumulated more than 7000 flying hours. The aircraft involved in the "operational incident" was equipped with Trent 800 engines and had been delivered to the airline in March 2003.

A passenger in the aft cabin reported, that the approach was normal, there had been no announcements or indications of anything abnormal. Then there was a heavy impact, oxygen masks came down, the aircraft skidded shaking violently and immediately filling with smoke and came to a stop. All doors were opened, it appeared however not all of them were used for evacuation. After sliding down the chute the passenger began to run, about 100 meters from the aircraft an explosion was heard (editorial note: watch video "The aircraft erupting into flames", the right wing caught fire and including right hand engine separated from the aircraft).

Another passenger reported that the captain made an announcement they would land at Dubai and the weather was fine, nothing appeared to be amiss. Suddenly the aircraft hit the ground tail/belly first, at the same time the right hand engine caught fire, and the aircraft skidded to a halt, smoke filled the cabin, only at this time the passengers realised the seriousness of the situation. The accident came entirely out of the blue.

A ground observer reported EK-521 made a normal approach with the landing gear extended, touched down hard and went around, the gear was retracted, however the aircraft appeared to lack power and sank back onto the runway. (Editorial note: The Aviation Herald noticed the lack of a significant detail in the narration of passengers mentioned above, there was no mention of sounds of engines spooling up).

According to ATC recordings the aircraft performed a normal approach and landing, there was no priority or emergency declared. Upon contacting tower tower advised the crew to plan to vacate the runway at taxiway M9 and cleared the aircraft to land. Another approach reported on tower frequency. About 2 minutes after EK-521 reported on tower, the crew reported going around, tower instructed the aircraft to climb to 4000 feet, the crew acknowledged climbing to 4000 feet, a few seconds later tower instructs the next arrival to go around and alerts emergency services. The position of the aircraft is described near the end of the runway.

Related NOTAM:
A1156/16 - AD CLSD. 03 AUG 11:20 2016 UNTIL 03 AUG 14:00 2016. CREATED: 03 AUG 11:18 2016

A1155/16 - AD CLSD. 03 AUG 10:00 2016 UNTIL 03 AUG 12:00 2016. CREATED: 03 AUG 10:07 2016

Metars:
OMDB 030900Z 11021KT 3000 BLDU NSC 49/07 Q0993 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 1500
OMDB 030800Z 14012KT 100V180 6000 NSC 48/09 Q0994 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 4000 DU
OMDB 030749Z 14012KT 110V180 6000 NSC 47/09 Q0994 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 4000DU
OMDB 030700Z 06007KT 360V100 8000 NSC 44/10 Q0995 NOSIG
OMDB 030600Z 06005KT 350V100 8000 NSC 42/12 Q0995 NOSIG

No clue how we missed this one - WS thread Plane vanished THREE WEEKS ago in echo of MH370

The 'puzzling' disappearance of an Indian military plane

On 22 July, an Indian military plane with 29 people on board, including six crew members, went missing over the Bay of Bengal.

More than three weeks and a massive search operation later, there is no trace of the plane.
..The Antonov-32 transport aircraft took off from the southern city of Chennai (Madras) at 08:30 local time (03:00 GMT), for a three-hour flight to Port Blair, in the eastern archipelago of Andaman and Nicobar.

The plane climbed to a cruising altitude of 23,000ft (7,010m) over the sea before disappearing from air traffic control screens at approximately 09:12 local time, some 270km (167 miles) east of Chennai.

Seven to eight minutes before the aircraft vanished, the pilot said he was changing course to the right to avoid a thundershower cloud.

Records show it descended "very fast" from its cruising height and vanished from the radar. There was no distress call from the cockpit.

"It just disappeared - no SOS, no transmission at any frequency. That is the worrying part," says Mr Parrikar.

When it disappeared, the plane was on the fringes of an area of around 150-200 nautical miles where there was no radar coverage. Such "blind spots" over remote areas of land and sea are not uncommon...

...The plane was equipped with an emergency locator transmitter, a portable emergency locator transmitter which pilots activate in the cockpit and personal locator beacons, that are attached to life vests and dinghies. "We have been looking from signals from all three," says an official. "But we have received nothing." ..

But the aircraft was missing something crucial: the underwater locator beacons, or pingers, which are fitted to aviation flight recorders - cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder - and transmit signals at low-level frequencies from deep under water. They have a battery life of 30 days.

This appears to be a big chink in the armour of India's trusted transporter - none of the Antonov-32s were equipped with them. Since the plane vanished, the air force has been scrambling to put such beacons on these planes flying over the sea. Also, according to one report, the plane "reported three snags" in less than two weeks last month.

View attachment 99976View attachment 99977

[video=youtube;mjKEXxO2KNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKEXxO2KNE[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221