Etiquette & Information Discussion

Okay...Now I can see it - weird...I'll go look for another example. Thanks !

This is all I see - None of the diagrams/thumbnails...Quoting jvk's post in the Lindsey Baum thread #2, page 7, post 167. The pics you are referencing are from Caylee's thread? I have never seen those also, and have been all over her forum...

Look Familiar?

That city-online picture was in fact pointing straight down Maple @ the Shell station.

It's also nearly right in front of '647

Here is what's on the other side of that rail

DSCF2161.jpg

.. a ditch/creek w/a high fence (on the other side) Pretty much no getting over it.

If you keep looking to the left..

DSCF2150.jpg

.. a church..

.. The end of Maple st (last house is 655 iirc) (right next to 647) is basically closed off (enclosed in) toward the west & south.

On the east (behind the house(s)) there's some forest

@ The very end of maple is a water treatment plant

DSCF2131.jpg

DSCF2011.jpg

Crosswalk @ 3rd & ~Maple ('the') (pointing toward/at Shell)

DSCF2016.jpg

The bus station (which is very small) The Shell station is about ~30ft behind.

DSCF2028.jpg

Here is 1 of 2 (useless) Shell station Cameras. This camera wouldn't pick up anything except for people literally pulling up to or going into Shell.

DSCF2021.jpg

This is the 2nd (useless) camera which sits ontop of the pump(s) roof (lack of a better word) What it's aimed at i have no idea but it seriously serves no purpose whatsoever. It might as well be pointing at the sky (it nearly is) - You can see it in the first picture ^ to the right of the stop sign

DSCF2015.jpg

This is looking east up 3rd st. (bus station just to the right, out of picture)

DSCF2035.jpg

The Police Station looks more like a warehouse (well, i guess you can't tell from this pic) i may have seen 2 (LE) cars but most of the time just one.

DSCF2010.jpg

Looking @ the bus station from the Shell parking lot

DSCF2098.jpg

DSCF2097.jpg

This is looking back down to the end of Maple. 7th is really the first opportunity to get off Maple. Aside from getting behind the houses (on the left) - Going over the rail/ditch/fence really isn't an option. (on right)

DSCF2108.jpg

'647 (& 655)

DSCF2191.jpg

DSCF2196.jpg

I hope i'm still in order here but i think this was @ 6th & Maple.

DSCF2203.jpg

Looking back down Maple. The majority of Maple is fairly wide.

DSCF2220.jpg

It was near 9pm when this was taken (losing light)

DSCF2218.jpg

Same w/this one..

.. I guess 20 images is the most i can put in one post..
Last edited by jvk; Today at 01:21 AM.

You're right, I just checked...I just got the internet at home (short story)...At work I can see some pics but not all, but at home on my work laptop computer I am the administrator because I do lots of programming, I can see everything. Ha, I can see the pics in my previous post here (posted from work) with no pics, but am able to view here at home

Thanks for working so hard for me...just a small contributor to WS! Bless all of you Mods! Guess I need to do more work from home! Thanks .

Robin

Blurb...Explaination for funky firewall - I work for the State of California! Sometimes right, Most of the time left. Sometimes yes, most of the time no...Sometimes right, MOST of the time wrong! But I am GOOD at what I do! Smart at work, dumb at home (Thanks to for pointing my problem out to me, thought there was no difference in the firewall!)

I am wondering what the policy is for a link to a charity page? I am participating in a biking event to raise money for Autism and have a page set up for direct donations. Would this be allowed as a link in my signature?

I have seen one member (possibly two) that has a link to their personal website where they are selling items.

I'm confused at to whether this is allowed. Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Maz

I am wondering what the policy is for a link to a charity page? I am participating in a biking event to raise money for Autism and have a page set up for direct donations. Would this be allowed as a link in my signature?

I have seen one member (possibly two) that has a link to their personal website where they are selling items.

I'm confused at to whether this is allowed. Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Maz

Good question. Some people have paid to advertise their businesses and some causes are approved by the owner Tricia for promotion.
Send her a pm Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community or an email tgrif@xmission.com
and you can go over it with her. thanks for asking Maz.

You have 24 hours from when you make a post to edit it. After 90 minutes you will see the notation that it has been edited, edits made in the first 90 minutes are applied without any notation.

You also have 24 hours from when you start a thread to edit the title of the thread or add a poll to it.

I didn't realize this until today. I've been updating the timeline offline in a Notepad document and would now like to post the latest version to the thread. Since it has been more than 24 hours since my last edit, I am unable to update it.

What should I do?

re: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88430.

I didn't realize this until today. I've been updating the timeline offline in a Notepad document and would now like to post the latest version to the thread. Since it has been more than 24 hours since my last edit, I am unable to update it.

What should I do?

re: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88430.

Hi Californian :)

I would contact one of the Mods of that forum, I'm sure they will be happy to help you out with this. PM one of them, they can help you.

Is it against TOS to speculate on who a poster is or was? I am sorry I have looked and don't see this included in TOS. Can someone please let me know? And show me the text that supports this? Thanks in advance!

Is it against TOS to speculate on who a poster is or was? I am sorry I have looked and don't see this included in TOS. Can someone please let me know? And show me the text that supports this? Thanks in advance!

We had a lengthy discussion on this not too long ago. WS members named in ongoing cases - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Also, WS does have a privacy policy: Best Practices Privacy Policy Statement - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The Privacy Policy is very broad, but the fact that WS does try to keep your anonymity is clear. :)

FYI. I was reading the Etiquette and Information thread. I have been trying to view a picture in a closed thread and and am trying to find out why I do not have permission to view it. In reading, I found that you have the "Contacting People and Meeting in Real Life" Paragraph stated twice in the rules.

FYI. I was reading the Etiquette and Information thread. I have been trying to view a picture in a closed thread and and am trying to find out why I do not have permission to view it. In reading, I found that you have the "Contacting People and Meeting in Real Life" Paragraph stated twice in the rules.

Welcome to WS, Ber!

In order to access most of the special features and all, I believe you need to have 50 posts. You can up your number quickly by going to the various games in the member only section (toward the bottom of the main page). But then again, sometimes when the thread is old, the picture if it is hosted at flicker, photobucket, etc, might have been removed by the original poster of the photo so it won't show up for anyone. If the photo doesn't show or has not found or red xs, etc, that is why.

I think it is great that they mention that paragraph twice. It is very important and I think this way it will catch one's eye and attention.

Again, welcome to WS! This is one of the greatest websites around and I hope you love it as much as I do!

Rosie

Dear Websleuths Members,

Hopefully after you read this post you will have a clearer understanding of certain issues on Websleuths.

First, I want you all to know that Cubby has worked very hard and continues to work hard on Anna's forum to make sure things run smoothly.

Any decisions Cubby has made or any explanations Cubby has given are backed up by me 100 percent. Cubby is doing exactly what I ask of her and I appreciate her time and dedication to Anna's forum.

Psychics On Websleuths.

This topic has always been a hot potato and very controversial.

The reason I do not allow psychic discussions on Websleuths has to do with controversy and the problems that come along with allowing psychics on the forum.

How do you tell which psychic is correct?

Who do we link to and who do we not link to as far as psychics?

What if a psychic is popular but wants money, do we link and discuss that psychic?

Imagine how many psychics would suddenly appear on Websleuths discussing their "visions" on cases if we allowed this. Psychics that could casually steer people to their for profit only websites.

We do not have the people power to monitor every post every psychic makes. No way.

How do we let just a few psychics on the site? Who decides who is good enough to post and who isn't?

If I opened the door to psychic visions Websleuths would turn into a battle ground like no other. I know this to be a fact. Just one mention of one psychic on the Caylee Anthony forum caused me so much grief and hell I can't tell you.

The battle wouldn't be between members and psychics. It would be between psychics and psychics.

You should have seen the behind the scenes crap that went on between waring factions of Psychics. It was disgusting.

I will not allow Websleuths to be used by people who claim to be psychic just so they can become famous.

Of course I know not all psychics are like this but trust me when I tell you most of the ones who will want to post on Websleuths will not have the best interest of the families in their hearts. In my opinion based on past experience.

Of course there are very dedicated, kind, and caring psychics. No doubt. Those people would be drowned out by the others.

So, between deciding which psychics to let post and which ones to not, between the waring factions of the psychics, between the posters who despise psychics and those who do not, I cannot allow psychics on Websleuths because of the problems.

As it is we have enough to deal with concerning posters who are offering their opinions. Can you imagine if we started allowing psychics to post their visions? OMG. It gives me a headache thinking about it.

I am not going to comment on whether psychics are true or not but I will say I would never feel comfortable allowing the psychics I have seen on the web on my forum. Not all of them but most of them.

It would cause more harm for the moderators, for the members, and most of all for the families.

Think Sylvia Browne and Shawn Hornbeck. Think desperate families coming to Websleuths and having to deal with the psychics who do not have any scruples. Who, like Sylvia Browne, would pull something out of their behind no matter who it hurts. Like she did with Shawn.

It is too much trouble. Websleuths is above all of this.

Why Does Websleuths Have a Forensic Astrology Forum?

The people in the Forensic Astrology forum have proven to me over the years that they are dedicated, well behaved, well educated, and have no ulterior motive in being here.

Plus, their work is based on something we can all see, the stars. Whether I believe it or not is not the issue. The issue is what they bring to the forum. The people in the Forensic Astrology Forum have brought many interesting aspects to cases. I have never had one complaint from a family member about their work. They are not here for money. They are here to use something real (the stars) to try and interpret information. I'm not saying I believe it or disbelieve it. I am saying since we have allowed this forum we have had many interesting discussions without any problems.

If you disagree with me that is certainly your right. I'm going to be bold and a bit stern when I say I do not want to argue my decision. It is made and it has been this way for a long time.

One exception is if in the main stream media a psychic makes the news. Then I have no problem linking to the article, video, or audio in the main stream media about the psychic.

Please understand I made this decision based on years of experience. My goal is to make Websleuths a place for all to enjoy, a place for new people to come and feel comfortable, free of the usual problems associated with discussion forums.

Free of the battle of the psychics, the battle about who is real and who isn't, the battle of who is in it for money and who isn't and who is saying what about which psychic and why. Websleuths is free from all of these issues and will continue to be.

Thank you for all you do and your participation.

Sincerely,
Tricia

Grey Area?
Can we post google maps/Pics of crime scenes with houses and streets or is this prohibited?

I read again to refresh that I remembered the rule of etiquette! Question: It mentions a WS chat? I can't find information on such only it's referred to that you have one in that area. Thanks!

Hi... I'm wondering what the size limit is for an image in your signature. Thanks!

That's a good question, I had to go look it up.

The setting is 500 wide by 100 tall, I've attached an image of that size.

Eep! thanks for the info . I think some people aren't aware of that rule, as I've seen quite a few images in signatures that are much taller than 100 px. The one I wanted to use is taller than that, too, so I'll refrain from using it. Thanks again!

I just got an iphone and finding that it makes things sooooooo much easier if I read on the phone and type my responses on my laptop. Just wanted to make sure that that's legal because that means I'm logged in in two different places.

Thank you for everything you do here :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back