Expert Statement Analysis on Casey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's a southern thing..up North we either say a few things when we don't hear someone."I'm sorry" isn't said up here at all. We either say "excuse me" or "what did you say"

In the updated section, I am not really buying what this person says about her using the present tense when relaying the events of the 9th. THe reason is because if you recall, just prior to that, Melich says, " Walk me through it. You GET off work and...go from there." If Melich had said "You GOT off work..."then her reaction and the way she stated things may have been different. We know that Casey is the type that will show men what they want to see. By Melich making that statement, he showed her that he wanted her to relate things in the present tense.

That was interesting and so true..I never trust people when they say "I'm sorry?" after I say something..I agree with this person 100%.

MD Mommy - I say "I'm sorry?" all the time. I'm hard of hearing. But, what I notice when I say this is that I actually heard what the person said, my brain just has not processed it completely so I do use it to stall. About the time I have finished saying "I'm sorry" I realize what the person has said and I follow up with the answer or response. Interesting, huh.

When I really don't hear someone, I say so - I can't hear you.

I would love to see an analysis of someone's statement that was shown to be telling the truth to compare to all these liar's statements.

Salem

I wonder what his thoughts are on Casey's use of the word ABSOLUTELY all the time? Seems like that is her favorite word. Probably doesn't mean anything. But it is annoying to hear her say that.

I thought some of the things that the person said about KC were kind of interesting. Then again, some of it seemed out of touch with society. For instance, the question "I'm sorry?"; if what he says holds true, then I guess I'm a big fat liar. On the other hand, it could just mean that I live in the south and have no idea what you just said.

I don't know.. I could buy some of this BS, but then I wandered on over to the Jon Benet Ramsey thread; that's when the guy lost me. He rambles on for ever about how it said "hence" in the ransom note. To me saying that word is like saying "and so". This dude needs to go back to college, and get in touch with today's society. Also, he talked about how the person that wrote the note was playing the pronoun game by using "I" and "we" interchangeably. News flash, some people are self centered and most are not experts in English grammar. Last term, I had to collaborate with some guys that majored in various studies, and a few of them would often use the word "I" in our proposal. Some of them were highly intelligent, but they made mistakes when writing. It was aggravating, at the time, but I moved on.

Also, I want to mention that the term "actually" is one that is used to fluff up sentences. Not to mention, people use it to make themselves seem smarter. Of course, I would not perceive them as such, but try reading a paper written by a teenager that has a limited vocabulary. That word will unnecessarily be present most of the time. People begin using those unnecessary words in high school when they are fluffing up their reports, essays, and whatever other projects that require more than three pages. When writing an essay for an English professor, one might use a ton of filler words. They do not mean much, but most professors like the flow of it. Not until a student takes a class like Technical Writing will they stop using the fillers. For those of you who do not know, Technical Writing teaches you basically the opposite of whatever you learned in Composition I. TW teaches you to get to the point, and get there fast. It doesn't matter anyway because most people do not take that class.

You'll have to please forgive my lengthy posting. I just needed to vent after I read this. It came as quite a shock to me to find out that I am a liar, and, according to this guy, I do not use words that "normal" people use.:rolleyes:

I guess it's a southern thing..up North we either say a few things when we don't hear someone."I'm sorry" isn't said up here at all. We either say "excuse me" or "what did you say"

I say "I'm sorry" all the time when I don't understand what has been said. I also say "excuse me" and "what did you say?"

The problem with this is, this country has different speech patterns all over. Even in Texas, depending on what area you live, you will find different patterns of speech and the use of different words... it also applies in different cultures. There is NO basis for saying that a certain word indicates lying... because while it is common in one part of the country, it might be very uncommon somewhere else.
I would be more inclined to believe an analysis on body language because that tends to be a standard pattern all over.

I have to disagree. I'm sorry is a polite way in the south to say, "what? I didn't hear you, or huh?". If you go to other parts of the country outside of the south and say "I'm sorry," you get looked at weird. But, for living here in Florida, it's said all the time.

I am going to agree with you here. I say, "I'm sorry?" instead of "what?" or "excuse me?" when I need someone to repeat something because I didn't hear them correctly.

*snip*
I don't have a problem with the words, "I'm sorry?" when someone wants you to repeat what you've just said. I think it is a southern thing, because I'm from the north and I always heard, "Excuse me?" or "Pardon me?" Or it could be just a more recent lingo thing.

Not a southern thing, because I have lived in Jersey my whole life LOL.

From the San Francisco Bay Area (born and raised in Berkeley, CA)--and I also say "Sorry?" when I didn't hear or understand someone--but then again, everyone says that we are all just a bunch of weirdos up here.

If she recieved a phone call from whomever had Caylee...she says it was a "private" number....so therefore she wouldn't have a way to call back correct? Soooo how would she know it was no longer in service????

Here's what has always stood out to me about the way Casey talks to LE. It's obvious to me that she's trying to downplay the situation and get emotions under control so she can maintain control of everything. She's giving them the answers they want when they ask "how is lying helping" by saying "it's not". So she agrees with them to kind of get them to think she's on their side and has recognized her "mistakes". I can hear her trying to work the conversation and so far, either it is working or she at least believes it is because while they are confronting her, they're not really putting the whole puzzle together and backing her into a corner with it. They're still leaving her an out. That's even more evident when she laughs it up with the investigator who complains about the chair.

That was interesting and so true..I never trust people when they say "I'm sorry?" after I say something..I agree with this person 100%.
I always that "I'm sorry?" meant, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you, can you repeat that?" But I think Casey uses this when she needs more time to drum up her response.

Depends on what you define as North. I grew up in MA,(17th generation) and I use "Sorry?" all the time whe I don't hear or understand what's been said.

I didn't know where to place this.

Mark McClish, detecting deception using statement analysis.
If the admin/mods need to move this, I understand.

I sent Mark McClish the link to hear Casey Anthony's audio tapes. Here is the analysis.

http://www.statementanalysis.com/caylee/

The book by Mark McClish called "I Know You Are Lying" is excellent -- I bought it for $11 after I read his site. It's awesome!!

I found the observations of Mr McClish interesting. I think though that it is also interesting that without professional help everyone who heard KC from the very beginning 911 call with her Mother was sure she was lieing. I realize he is able to point to the exact phrases showing her lies but even the most casual listener is sure that KC is not telling the truth. Of course once LE checks into the story and are able to confront her exact lies the rest of us are sure from the get go. Same is true of CA. We are all able to tell the truthfulness of her 911 calls but the rest that she has to say, as the story evolves, we are all sure she isn't telling the truth. I guess though the wacky statements she comes up with have something to do with it.

I think we should all collectively pat ourselves on the back.

I think all of the things the expert pointed out have been discussed here.

Im southwest and say "Excuse me?" or "Pardon Me?" but not "Sorry?"

I say "What?" in casual conversations with my kids, but not formally.

"Hmm?" or "Huh?" just sounds rude IMO.

Casey sounds west coast valley girlish to me. A bit Paris Hilton maybe? Cute and innocent on the surface........sarcastic and snippy underneath. Just plain annoying in my pov.

I associate Floridians with a southern drawl.
(Im in AZ so what do I know?)

This is very interesting and I hope it is ok to post the link. Its just something to think about and may be fun to pick apart.

This gentleman has worked on such cases as Scott Peterson, OJ simpson, Jon Bonet Ramsey, Susan Smith, etc.

It looks like he is now working on the Caylee Case tooo!!!

He teaches interviewing techniques to Law Enforcents.

At the very least, it is a very interesting science of how to detect deception in defendants written and verbal statements.

Enjoy!

http://www.statementanalysis.com/cases/

I commented below

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads