'Extra Small' Condoms for 12-Year-Old Boys Go on Sale

We used to have a class where the 9th graders first wore a pregnancy belly for a day (it was very heavy), and then carried around babies that cried frequently, and they had to turn a key in the baby's back to stop the crying. A computer printout would tell if the baby was well-cared for, neglected, or whatever.

I don't know what happened to the program; I thought it was the law in my state to have a sex ed class, but I know we don't have one. :waitasec:

Our school has a very high pregnancy rate, as does our state (SC).

That's a great idea.

I have a 10 yr old boy, and just last night I had to say the "V" word in a sentence to him. It was horrible for me ( I wish they just stayed babies forever) but at least he felt comfortable asking mom what the proper word for the anatomy was. Believe me when I tell you that sex is out there parents, its happening, whether we like it or not. Making it safer is ALWAYS going to be a good idea. Talk to your kids, dont mix signals, make them understand your expectations. We talk to ours about drugs, stranger danger, molestation, etc, we need to give them all a clear opinion about sex too. I'm pretty squemish about it, don't get me wrong, the idea of talking to my 10 yr old son about the mechanics does not sound like a task I will enjoy. However, I wouldnt feel like Im giving him the best possible advice if I dont make myself clear. Thankfully, I haven't had to cross this bridge yet, but it can't be all that far off. Sex is happening younger and younger these days, and we need to give our kids the "tools" to deal with it. I agree that marketing directly to preteen boys makes my head spin, but having an appropriate product available is kind of a nessesary evil. Uggg, please help mama when I have to do this talk!

:clap:

I clicked on this thread out of curiosity and also thinking I must be really getting old. But what you say is totally right on mm5. While I do not have children, just precious furbabies, I would think it a daunting task to talk with them about this subject. The world has definitely changed compared to when I was young. But children have so many outside influences with other children and the internet. Parents hold the key to responsibility for their own and they must continue to educate and speak with them about the world. Not only this subject but drugs, predators, phone and internet usage and the list goes on and on. I am sure you will do a fine job when the numerous talks ahead come up.

JMO

Question: when do 12 year olds have the opportunity for sex? My middle daughter is 14, and I still pretty much know where she is all the time, but when she was 12 I don't think she had many opportunities to be out and about without me or another responsible adult. I dropped her off at school; I picked her up from school. If she had play practice, I dropped her off, but there was always an adult present. If she went to a friend's house, that parent was present. If she went to the mall or to the movies with friends, there was always a parent nearby. I never felt comfortable just dropping my young daughter off somewhere and picking her up later.

I work full time and so does Mr. Mr. E, so I know it's not because of working parents. So where are kids getting opportunities to have sex?

Question: when do 12 year olds have the opportunity for sex? My middle daughter is 14, and I still pretty much know where she is all the time, but when she was 12 I don't think she had many opportunities to be out and about without me or another responsible adult. I dropped her off at school; I picked her up from school. If she had play practice, I dropped her off, but there was always an adult present. If she went to a friend's house, that parent was present. If she went to the mall or to the movies with friends, there was always a parent nearby. I never felt comfortable just dropping my young daughter off somewhere and picking her up later.

I work full time and so does Mr. Mr. E, so I know it's not because of working parents. So where are kids getting opportunities to have sex?

Well, when I was in school, there was plenty of ditching class to go to the homes when the parents were at work.

But, I do wonder the same things at times. I didn't lose my virginity until after I was done highschool - before that, when would I have done it? I didn't have a car, I didn't skip school, and my mum was always home... That kind of limits the opportunities.

(Except, I suppose, for those kids who are ok doing this kind of thing at home while their folks are there. I'm married, and I wouldn't even do that at my folks' house now. Some people's hormones are just really determined, I guess.)

ETA: Now that I think about it, when in student police there were a lot of reports of finding suspicious signs all over on the school grounds and such, as well. I think when you are young and quick under the outside bleachers is enough.

I'm very much hoping that this is my best defense against bad behavior! I am a stay at home mom, and I try to make sure each of my children is involved in their own activities. They are great students, so I havent ever had to worry about them ditching school...yet. They are still young. So hopefully, if I keep them busy with school, and activities they enjoy, they will not have an opportunity to get themselves into trouble. Its not a foolproof plan, but I'm hoping that giving them a solid foundation, and boosting their self esteem whenever possible will help them make the right choices.

I remember in 7th grade (still 12) there was a group of kids who just came from families where there was not any discipline, their parents worked and often were not home and in some cases the parent(s) let their 12/13yr old kinda just do what they wanted. They all took the bus home from school (or walked) and often would go to eachother's houses where there were no parentals and unfortunately in some cases there were parents around. They were basically having parties. They were all smoking pot and drinking by this time and they were having sex.

I was 16 when I lost my virginity and I was at my boyfriends house who lived with his parents but they totally did not care if I stayed there. My parents cared very much if I stayed there but of course teenagers find ways to get around such obstacles. His parents just didn't seem to care and he could do whatever he wanted. He, by the way, lost his virginity when he was 12yrs old - probably in his room at his parents house.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back