Facts and Opinions Relating to Gary M Hilton Serial Killer???-

I've never thought GMH drove his victims around any more than absolutely necessary to get them to a place for safe keeping. I seriously doubt ME was in the van any of the times GMH left wherever he kept her. Keeping her at an abandoned home site Adams keeps touting would have been very risky. Look at the pic of this house (from The tiny URL site Marshmallow posted) - see that yellow line on the road? They only put those on roads that are used a lot in the south.
59823499314_0_BG.jpg

Frankly I think she was tied to a tree in the woods vs. any comfort of a cabin. He knew those woods and he knew that most wouldn't happen upon her. I don't think he ever left her for long periods of time anyway and then moved her when his day job was done.

Glenn thought Hilton had stayed in that house only on the coldest nights. He found a half-used bag of dog food, food wrappers, bottled water there. During the day Hilton tied her in the outbuildings or further into the forest. He found a frayed rope and broken wood supports (shown in the photos on kodak gallery site). From the beginning posters speculated that Hilton broke into cabins on the off season. Interestingly, on the map of possible victims created by websleuths poster sleddog, the majority went missing during the late fall/winter/early spring, off-season for the home renovation business. http://tinyurl.com/2bgf6l These cases were only put on the map if they fit Hilton's MO and were unsolved.

Rossana Millini and Deborah Moody seemed to be good candidates for a Hilton murder. Tara Grinstead was murdered by someone close to her, I feel sure of that. Some of the others I would have to research further but in any case the map is frightening. BTW, I also think Justin Gaines is a possibility for Hilton.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/03/13/hilton.movie/index.html

"The filmmaker said that two days after Hilton's arrest, he visited his former client in the Dawson County jail in Georgia. Hilton was surrounded by investigators, and Rael says they didn't do much more than exchange pleasantries.
"He said 'hello' and thanked me for coming by, and that was about it," Rael said.
He wonders about Hilton's behavior when they were friends but quickly dismisses thoughts of murder during that time.
"I sincerely doubt he was capable of doing anything like that when I knew him," he said."

this article raises more questions than it answers...........

The lawyer doubts Hilton was capable of murder, at the time that he knew him? I doubt that GMH was any different, then, than he is now. The whole bit about GMH being a sociopath, I mean, that would be more than enough for me to keep my distance. Weird.

The whole idea behind this movie is super creepy, and I've no doubt that the plot of the movie was more like reality to GMH, both at the time and - obviously - since then. Does anyone here watch the show, "Criminal Minds"? The idea of kidnapping people, then releasing them into the woods and trying to see if the killer could keep up with them, was at the center of one of the episodes. I've never been so disturbed by a show than I am by that episode.

The fact that several news sources have interviewed the attorney, but GBI says they haven't been able to reach him speaks volumes to me. I believe the attorney is touting this connection to GMH for his own publicity - and not as willing to help GBI as he says.

The premise of the movie - the use of a cabin to house victims in particular - might be useful to GBI. While I doubt the cabin single out by the psychic guy in Dawson is the one because it is just too close to a hard surface road, it would not surprise me to find that Hilton had located such a structure near a rock / dirt road in the national forest for this purpose. I have accidentally stumbled over many abandoned structures while hiking.

ME was alive for three days after her abduction. The temps were pretty low during that period. In order for ME to survive for three days given the conditions, one of these things had to occur -- GMH held her inside some sort of structure (cabin, van, tent plus sleeping bag) -or- gave her a substantial sleeping bag (one good down to around 10 degrees) -or- had a roaring fire going. I doubt he would have risk a roaring fire. It would be nice to know if any of ME's (or Dunlap's or Bryant's) DNA was found in the sleeping bags recovered.

Isn't it interesting that Hilton made friends with lawyers? He must be a pretty intelligent guy in some respect. The one he did the murder film with didn't think he was capable of murder..I guess I believe that for now since he says he let him shower at his house since Hilton was living in a storage unit. Still very bizarre..how many lawyers are friendly enough to let a client who lives in a storage unit shower at their home and then offers them cash to help out on the plot of a murder movie? Very weird to me.

Then the police say that they don't think Hilton was involved in murders at that time..that seems weird to me also. That time was 1995..that would have made Hilton alot older then when most serial murderers start their career. Hard to believe that in his 60'S he just decided to become a serial murderer. He never murdered for money. Lot's of people are robbed of their purses and wallets and not murdered. He could have beaten up everyone of these vics until they gave him the ATM info, etc and then let them go. But he didn't..he murdered them afterwards. The murder was as important to him as the money..maybe even more so. I believe he was active at this in 1995 and earlier. But that's just my opinion.

.......He never murdered for money. Lot's of people are robbed of their purses and wallets and not murdered. He could have beaten up everyone of these vics until they gave him the ATM info, etc and then let them go. But he didn't..he murdered them afterwards. The murder was as important to him as the money..maybe even more so. I believe he was active at this in 1995 and earlier. But that's just my opinion.
It is possible he realized that he would be very hard to catch if he murdered the victims. He likely would have been caught long ago if he had left Cheryl Dunlap alive.

Most serial killers start killing early in life and most do not rob victims. It is all about the killing for them. My personal feeling is that GMH is a petty thief who was also a sociopath and killed simply to avoid detection. As you noted, GMH is a bright man - bright enough to know that kidnapping is a felony and can be punished by death in some circumstances.

I believe the key to determining when GMH started killing lies in when he had to change his normal means of obtaining money - doing home improvement projects on a freelance basis and conning people into giving him money purportedly for for a veterans organization. Hilton's health likely forced him to stop working and his arrest for the veteran's fund scam likely forced him to stop that activity. Hilton had to find a new way to get money and to avoid detection - and the new method involved not leaving any witnesses alive.

It is possible he realized that he would be very hard to catch if he murdered the victims. He likely would have been caught long ago if he had left Cheryl Dunlap alive.

Most serial killers start killing early in life and most do not rob victims. It is all about the killing for them. My personal feeling is that GMH is a petty thief who was also a sociopath and killed simply to avoid detection. As you noted, GMH is a bright man - bright enough to know that kidnapping is a felony and can be punished by death in some circumstances.

I believe the key to determining when GMH started killing lies in when he had to change his normal means of obtaining money - doing home improvement projects on a freelance basis and conning people into giving him money purportedly for for a veterans organization. Hilton's health likely forced him to stop working and his arrest for the veteran's fund scam likely forced him to stop that activity. Hilton had to find a new way to get money and to avoid detection - and the new method involved not leaving any witnesses alive.

I agree except that he may have killed others early on. This sociopathy is a lifelong thing.It could depend on who was vulnerable at the time. And if the detection methods were faulty. i.e. He wasn't known to be in an area at the time or his MO changed. Unfortunately I am privy to a sociopath and they are cunning. But if you watch them over a number of years the pattern is all too obvious.

The older they get the more territorial. The more desperate to protect their turf.But, with that said the more mistakes they make.

It would not surprise me at all to learn GMH had killed one or more times before if he felt it was in his best interest in a situation, but I really believe his current method - finding a lone hiker or couple unable to defend themselves, kidnapping them, attempting to obtain money via ATM cards and then killing and beheading them came into being after he was forced to quit soliciting money using the veteran's scam. That had been his means of support during the winter months when the home improvement type work he did was difficult to find. I believe LE needs to look at closely at all murders and missing persons reports where victims disappeared in the winter months in or near a wooded area or where the victim was found in a wooded area near a rock or dirt road. It appears he needed about $300 per month to support himself while living in the woods - and I'm betting there is about a victim per month during the periods when work was scarce since he had to stop the veteran's scam.

I disagree, Hiker. I think that this monster has been killing for years, and taking great joy from it! Look at the plot line for the 1995 movie! He did not just dream that up on the spot. I think that he had been living it for a while.
I recall that Taber said that Hilton would go to the woods very often. I think he was pursuing his "Deadly Game".

I think he has been at this for awhile, too. It sounded too routine when he called Tabor for money and his job back.

Greetings everyone. I'm new to this board, and have been following this case very closely. It has really impacted me, unlike many other heinous crimes. At any rate, I came across this story which I thought I would share, as I don't think it's been posted yet. It clears up alot of the speculation about where Meredith was kept in the last days of her life (in Hilton's van), and also reveals what a Hilton is....he even made her go hiking on one of the days she was captive! Apparently she fought very hard to escape him, but my theory is that he somehow captured Ella, and in some way threatened her, playing on Meredith's love for her doggie. Hilton is truly a sick individual, and I suspect he has done more killing than anyone will be able to uncover. As for the link, there are two parts, under "Tracking a Killer". It's really quite amazing that he continued to elude the LE for as long as he did.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/15425488/detail.html?taf=gs#

Welcome Karsky! Thanks for joining our dicussion. Unfortunate to meet under such circumstances. Thank you for the link! I am at work and need to get home to have sound, it seems interesting and I look forward to checking out the video's this evening. This subject maybe worthy of it's own thread and discussion? I'll let you posters decide.

Thanks Christine, and I agree, I wish we had met differently :( Y'all have lots of great info here, and I just wanted to share what I found, as gruesome as it all is. And you're right, it may warrant some additional discussion, it was definitely pretty alarming to watch those videos.

Hi and welcome Karsky! Great link! I had been wondering how Hilton was able to get Meredith under control. The pellet gun was used for some of the time, but I would really like to know what happened on the trail head and parking lot. The video stated that she disarmed him of his knife and baton, so did he have the gun on him then? I wish LE would release the trail head information. They seem to be letting out other things for these reports.

Welcome Karsky, and thanks for the information!
I have always felt that the key was her dog, and her love for her dog.
She managed to disarm him, and could have gotten away initially, but I am guessing that he had control of her dog, and told her that if she would go with him, he would not kill Ella. That is my guess, and if true, was the only promise the sick monster kept.

Yes, and I had heard at one point that he kept her in the van. How awful for her, and for those who now know how close she really was.

The image I referenced in post # 80 has been taken down. I saved a copy and this is it.
Dawsonvillecabin.jpg

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15838537/detail.html

Article, plus link for video
“I’m a sociopath man. I’m what they call an anti-social,” Hilton told GBI agents.For the first time, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has allowed Channel 2 access to its entire case against Hilton, who is serving a life sentence for murdering hiker Meredith Emerson.Channel 2’s Jodie Fleischer spent the day going through four hours of interviews with Hilton right after his guilty plea in the Emerson case.The tape is different from past tapes. First, because it’s video you can see Hilton’s movements and what gets him worked up. But also because it doesn’t completely focus on the Emerson murder – it instead shows how agents were trying to use Hilton to uncover information in other murders, including the three he’s already suspected of and any others that may still be unsolved."You could take me to the front door of this jail and say go forth and sin no more. I would literally have to turn back around and walk back in here,” said Hilton.He refers to his behavior as a rampage and appears to admit he’s killed more than once."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back