Family Stranded at Airport After Being Kicked Off Plane

For thos asking how these children could be trouble free for the next flight?
One Word:

Benadryl.

Jeana and Paladin I agree with you both..

However, Paladin if an adult is going to snap because a child is on the plane fussing then its the adult with the problem and that person has their own issues .. We cannot hold a fussy toddler responsible for an adult that acts like an A$$.
Not that that was the case here.. just saying.
If the threat was truly that another adult would snap then we cannot blame a toddler for that.
And adult needs to be responsible for their own actions whereas children are not... That is why they have parents:)

No, we cannot blame the child for that. We can blame the parents for not handling the situation better. And the airlines can stop anyone they wish from boarding their planes.

I'd say flying planes is more of a privilege these days than a right.

I am in favor of children friendly flights. Not all flights or destinations would have them, but some to popular touristy areas. I know that I would never fly with an infant and two toddlers out of respect to other fliers - at least not without enough adult help and things to keep the kids happy. I would be willing to fly with the kids if I knew that it was a kid friendly flight with other kids and all who were flying could fairly expect someone's kid will melt down. I would know that those that wanted a quiet business trip probably took a different flight.

Allowing unruly children out of their seats can be more than just an inconvenience to be tolerated by other passengers.
I was on an early morning flight once where a young child was allowed to run up and down the aisle. A sudden jerk of the plane caused her to fall into me, dumping the cup of hot coffee I was drinking all over myself and the person sitting next to me. The mother just laughed at the child and said to her, "now do you see why I want you to stay in your seat?". No apology from her at all. The only apolgy I got was from the flight attendent and he moved me and the person sitting next to me to first class for the remainder of the flight.

No, we cannot blame the child for that. We can blame the parents for not handling the situation better. And the airlines can stop anyone they wish from boarding their planes.

I'd say flying planes is more of a privilege these days than a right.

I agree flying is not a "right".
But when I am paying I do expect some semblance of customer service.

As for parents I do again agree BUT that does not mitigate some other adult losing control in a public place when they subjected themselves to the public. I still cannot agree with the airline saying a toddler is a safety risk.

Even the best of children with the most diligent of parents have moments.

Allowing unruly children out of their seats can be more than just an inconvenience to be tolerated by other passengers.
I was on an early morning flight once where a young child was allowed to run up and down the aisle. A sudden jerk of the plane caused her to fall into me, dumping the cup of hot coffee I was drinking all over myself and the person sitting next to me. The mother just laughed at the child and said to her, "now do you see why I want you to stay in your seat?". No apology from her at all. The only apolgy I got was from the flight attendent and he moved me and the person sitting next to me to first class for the remainder of the flight.
Also, you can BET ON IT, if the child had received burns that the parent would have sued. You can also bet that if the kids of this thread had been hurt, the parents would have sued! Suits cost us ALL money. If you can't control your kids, or yourself, you don't need to ride in an airplane and disrupt everybody's flight. MOO:cow:

I despise parents who let their children run around in public places unless its a child place like McD's or Chuckee Cheese Pizza.

Also, you can BET ON IT, if the child had received burns that the parent would have sued. You can also bet that if the kids of this thread had been hurt, the parents would have sued! Suits cost us ALL money. If you can't control your kids, or yourself, you don't need to ride in an airplane and disrupt everybody's flight. MOO:cow:

But who defines disruptive? I agree the children need to stay in their seats ..

But a crying toddler IMO is not a risk to the flight and at best is annoying.

You are talking about different behaviors. Screaming or throwing a tantrum is entirely controllable by both parent and child, autistic or not. However a tantrum is 100% different from stimming. Stimming is not learned, often cannot be controlled and is often hard to redirect. And environmental overstimulation often leads to stimming.

I wasn't talking about stimming. I was talking about screaming and tantruming. Which is why I said it can be a learned behavior for any child autistic or not. I know all about stimming I deal with it everyday. I work with my students to reduce inappropriate stims and replace them with appropriate stims constantly. It may take some work but it can be done. I don't think this was a stim. I do think the child became overstimulated and threw a fit. Mom should have saw her child was becoming upset and removed him from the situation. Even if it meant she had to take a later flight. I'm just upset because so ofter people underestimate children with autism and assume everything they do is because of their autism. It's not. I also hate the fact that when a child with autism gets kicked off a plane it makes the news. Do they report every time a non-autistic child gets kicked off a plane? No.

HOW??? You can't tell if a typical child (or some adults) are going to be okay in a situation, let alone an autistic child

The parent should know their child well enough from going out in public. If the child becomes upset at the store then most likely them will become upset at an airport and in a noisy plane.

And where exactly was she supposed to go?

Try later. Go for a walk allow your child to calm down. Forcing it is only going to make the behavior worse.

In a classroom environment. However the more unfamiliar the situation, the more difficult it will be to maintain that behavior.

Actually I do take my students out on CBI's (field trips) and as long as we take their visual supports and reinforcements they are fine. We have been shopping, out to eat, the park, museums, laser tag, the water park and lots of other places. Believe me I know it's a pain carrying and using all of that stuff, but it does work. Plus it's worth it to keep the child from becoming upset. I also know I don't live with these children, and I not going to tell anyone how to raise their children. As far as the visual supports I always make extra and send them home. The parents use them at home, and the children are able to generalize better.

But who defines disruptive? I agree the children need to stay in their seats ..

But a crying toddler IMO is not a risk to the flight and at best is annoying.
A crying toddler or baby is not disruptive. It is a fact of life and I am not talking about stuff like that. There is a HUGE difference between one crying and one throwing a fit. I really do love children, ALL children, so I hope you don't get the wrong impression of me. :blowkiss: I do think that a parent should control their children. Running up and down the rows in an airplane is not appropriate, nor is allowing your kid to be a brat and disrupt other passengers. From the reports coming in now, it seems like it was the ADULTS acting like FOOLS! It seems like many irresponsible parents are the FIRST ONES TO SUE after NOT taking care of their children properly. I am sure the suing issue is one that is considered when deciding to kick a passenger or family off a plane, or out of any public place. I have a strong conviction that a person's rights end when they infringe upon another person's rights. JMO and probably not worth the time it took to read this post! ROFLOL! :bang:

I wasn't talking about stimming. I was talking about screaming and tantruming. Which is why I said it can be a learned behavior for any child autistic or not. I know all about stimming I deal with it everyday. I work with my students to reduce inappropriate stims and replace them with appropriate stims constantly. It may take some work but it can be done. I don't think this was a stim. I do think the child became overstimulated and threw a fit. Mom should have saw her child was becoming upset and removed him from the situation. Even if it meant she had to take a later flight. I'm just upset because so ofter people underestimate children with autism and assume everything they do is because of their autism. It's not. I also hate the fact that when a child with autism gets kicked off a plane it makes the news. Do they report every time a non-autistic child gets kicked off a plane? No.

The parent should know their child well enough from going out in public. If the child becomes upset at the store then most likely them will become upset at an airport and in a noisy plane.

Try later. Go for a walk allow your child to calm down. Forcing it is only going to make the behavior worse.

Actually I do take my students out on CBI's (field trips) and as long as we take their visual supports and reinforcements they are fine. We have been shopping, out to eat, the park, museums, laser tag, the water park and lots of other places. Believe me I know it's a pain carrying and using all of that stuff, but it does work. Plus it's worth it to keep the child from becoming upset. I also know I don't live with these children, and I not going to tell anyone how to raise their children. As far as the visual supports I always make extra and send them home. The parents use them at home, and the children are able to generalize better.
Spaz...you are going to be such a blessing to your parents and their children for many years to come. You go girlie!!! I admire you so very much!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

As far as I know, we still don't know that it was the autistic child causing the disruptions. As I said earlier they apparently have two very young toddlers that were highly active on the news video! Did anyone clarify on the morning show(s) which children were causing the trouble?

I'd also like to ask if anyone knows any rich families that have 2 disabled children. I think that's very rare. IMO anyway. Flying 6 people had to be expensive and I can see why they wouldn't have had a lot of extra money to play with. Maybe their grandmother paid for their trip out there (the first time!).

:cow:

Taximom, you are correct that it doesn't say which child/children were disruptive. Flying is hard on so many people, especially children. I couldn't imagine taking 4 kids (2 with disabilities) on a flight myself, or even with a pregnant relative as my only help. That just sounds stressful, and expensive.

As far as I know, we still don't know that it was the autistic child causing the disruptions. As I said earlier they apparently have two very young toddlers that were highly active on the news video! Did anyone clarify on the morning show(s) which children were causing the trouble?

I'd also like to ask if anyone knows any rich families that have 2 disabled children. I think that's very rare. IMO anyway. Flying 6 people had to be expensive and I can see why they wouldn't have had a lot of extra money to play with. Maybe their grandmother paid for their trip out there (the first time!).

:cow:
I am sure we are going to find out a lot more about this story in the future. :) Don't you just LOVE that cow!?! I think he is great!

Spaz...you are going to be such a blessing to your parents and their children for many years to come. You go girlie!!! I admire you so very much!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Thanks. I try my hardest. I think the most important thing for anyone in my field is to do it because you want to and not for the money. Not that there is a lot of money involved. :blowkiss: I have learned more from my students than they will ever learn from me. :heart:

A crying toddler or baby is not disruptive. It is a fact of life and I am not talking about stuff like that. There is a HUGE difference between one crying and one throwing a fit. I really do love children, ALL children, so I hope you don't get the wrong impression of me. :blowkiss: I do think that a parent should control their children. Running up and down the rows in an airplane is not appropriate, nor is allowing your kid to be a brat and disrupt other passengers. From the reports coming in now, it seems like it was the ADULTS acting like FOOLS! It seems like many irresponsible parents are the FIRST ONES TO SUE after NOT taking care of their children properly. I am sure the suing issue is one that is considered when deciding to kick a passenger or family off a plane, or out of any public place. I have a strong conviction that a person's rights end when they infringe upon another person's rights. JMO and probably not worth the time it took to read this post! ROFLOL! :bang:
I totally agree with you, Dean

Last September on my way back from my honeymoon...worst flight I've ever had.

First...we board on the plane. Cargo door won't close. We find this out after sitting on the plane for almost 2 hours. Then they unload us and put us on another plane. We lose our nice window/aisle seats. My wife and I are now separated by about 10 rows and both in the center seats, wedged in between huge people. Yay.

I brought a box of macadamia nut cookies to enjoy on the plane. I got them from Hawaii. Was thinking it would be a nice treat. Then attendant gets on the intercom ... "Ladies and gentlemen. We have a special request to ask of you. We have two little twin girls with a severe peanut allergy." LOL...I'm like...what else can go wrong?

Oh...I know....

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid starts crying while we are sitting on the tarmac...in a plane where the air conditioning WASN'T working....for an hour and a half, and the baby was screaming the entire time. The parents almost didn't lift a finger to shut this thing up. Just passed it back and forth saying "You deal with it."

LOL, this guy in the row behind me finally lost it and said "GOOD GOD! SHUT THAT THING UP!" I clapped.

Last September on my way back from my honeymoon...worst flight I've ever had.

First...we board on the plane. Cargo door won't close. We find this out after sitting on the plane for almost 2 hours. Then they unload us and put us on another plane. We lose our nice window/aisle seats. My wife and I are now separated by about 10 rows and both in the center seats, wedged in between huge people. Yay.

I brought a box of macadamia nut cookies to enjoy on the plane. I got them from Hawaii. Was thinking it would be a nice treat. Then attendant gets on the intercom ... "Ladies and gentlemen. We have a special request to ask of you. We have two little twin girls with a severe peanut allergy." LOL...I'm like...what else can go wrong?

Oh...I know....

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid starts crying while we are sitting on the tarmac...in a plane where the air conditioning WASN'T working....for an hour and a half, and the baby was screaming the entire time. The parents almost didn't lift a finger to shut this thing up. Just passed it back and forth saying "You deal with it."

LOL, this guy in the row behind me finally lost it and said "GOOD GOD! SHUT THAT THING UP!" I clapped.

I guess babies can't be invited to play with the pretty blue water in the toilet?:rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about stimming. I was talking about screaming and tantruming.
My son sometimes screams and yells as part of his stimming. That behavior is entirely different from when he is angry and throwing a fit. Sorry if I'm nitpicking.

I don't think this was a stim. I do think the child became overstimulated and threw a fit.
At this point, no one can say. No stories have specified which child was doing what. It's hard to speculate.

Mom should have saw her child was becoming upset and removed him from the situation. Even if it meant she had to take a later flight.
Easier said than done. There may be financial and/or time contraints that make changing travel plans difficult.

I also hate the fact that when a child with autism gets kicked off a plane it makes the news. Do they report every time a non-autistic child gets kicked off a plane? No.
No they don't. But it attracts more attention when it gets reported that way.

I disagree. The novelty of air travel trumps any typical behavior history. Past behavior is a strong indication but no guarantee.

Again, for various reasons that may not be an option. Especially if the airline is uncooperative.

We have been shopping, out to eat, the park, museums, laser tag, the water park and lots of other places.
Are you working at an autism-specialized private school?

The PLEA school my son was at took a lot of field trips like that. However the public school he is at now only does 1 trip a year.

For the most part I agree with what you are saying. From what I've seen in the interviews, the two adults are idiots and allowed their children to run amok. The only part of your comments I disagree with are regarding the parents predicting their childs behavior. To a great extent, in most situations, I agree that you can do this. But sometimes you can't.

I appreciate what you do as a teacher. Dealing with a roomful of autistic kids is not something too many people can do. But teachers like you give kids with autism a better chance at coming out of their shells and experiencing the world. Thank you.

It's always nice when adults can handle stressful and unpleasant situations with grace and maturity.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cluesearcher
Back