Fight in Houston School

BillyGoatGruff said:
America at large is suddenly going to learn a lot more about the very byzantine connections of race, class & culture that have made NO what it is, both good and bad, for 300 years. Forget all the tourist-friendly BS. Pretty soon the city's psyche--which is as twisted & knotty as a cypress knee--will be laid bare as thousands upon thousands of displaced New Orleanians attempt to blend into new communities. Bear in mind many of these are people who have lived in NO for upwards of 6 generations, and some who have never left it before, period. It's going to be like putting saltwater fish in a freshwater aquarium.

Although I've never lived there and no offense intended but I've never really cared for N.O.. As they probably (and others at that) don't care much for Houstonians. N.O. is not my cup of tea. But I don't wish them ill will.

kato said:
Although I've never lived there and no offense intended but I've never really cared for N.O.. As they probably (and others at that) don't care much for Houstonians. N.O. is not my cup of tea. But I don't wish them ill will.
I don't think the woman wished them ill will. She was simply scared of them. The live ones, anyway.

BillyGoatGruff said:
What you're morely likely to see (since it appears the gangbangers are being culled and shipped back to LA at the shelters at the first sign of trouble) is how woefully behind these kids are in their education. Whatever grade they're supposed to be in, they're probably performing two grades below it, assuming they attended a public and not a parochial school. And since the various archdiocese around the country are accomodating the displaced Catholic school children, I doubt there will be much overlap. As I said, New Orleans public schools are, for the most part, pretty bad, mostly due to lack of funding. No one was ever willing to raise the tax levies for the schools--after all, most of their kids were in parochial school.
Nothing like good old generalizations. By the way, did anyone see that little boy, Charles, with Campbell Brown, when she was in NO? I was so touched by him, as apparently were countless others. Alot of people e-mailed the Today show asking about him.

I just heard yesterday that we were getting 500 survivors, not sure which city they are from. This is quite a way from their home environment, don't know yet how many are school aged children. They will be spread throughout the city so there won't be as many in one school. This will be a valuable tool for the school community to teach the youth (and parents) how to be hospitable.

BirdieBoo said:
Nice. What a welcoming attitude for evacuee CHILDREN.
I agree. I thought that was totally rude, but I try to understand that there is pressure for the NO kids AND the people in Houston and the other areas that have accepted displaced students. Tensions will rise, tempers will flare and "foot-in-mouth" disease will run rampant at times.

jannuncutt said:
Nothing like good old generalizations. By the way, did anyone see that little boy, Charles, with Campbell Brown, when she was in NO? I was so touched by him, as apparently were countless others. Alot of people e-mailed the Today show asking about him.
Generalizations nothing. I knew people working in the NO school systems, both parochial and public. The public schools sucked hard in the 80s. They sucked just as bad in the 90s. I'd never lived anywhere where the majority of the city's children, white, black, whathave you, attended Catholic schools, whether they were Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim or Buddhist. Public school for these parents was never a question. New Orelans was a unique terrarium--culturally, racially & economically--that no one clucking their tongue over this will ever comprehend unless they lived there.

jannuncutt said:

These are not generalizations, jan. Louisiana schools rank 47th in the nation. 47!! And of the worst schools in Louisiana, two-thirds of them are in New Orleans. Those children are going to be behind......particularly since Title one schools have been using a program called "Success for All" which roughly means that no matter how dismally the child reads, he cannot receive a grade lower than a "C." He is a success! Passed from grade to grade and can't read a lick.

The schools in the other states where these children are now enrolled are about to be privy to one of Louisiana's dirty little secrets.

Billy has a pretty good take on New Orleans. He lays it on the line, and I haven't read anything that sounded like an exaggeration--he is right on target.

kgeaux said:
These are not generalizations, jan. Louisiana schools rank 47th in the nation. 47!! And of the worst schools in Louisiana, two-thirds of them are in New Orleans. Those children are going to be behind......particularly since Title one schools have been using a program called "Success for All" which roughly means that no matter how dismally the child reads, he cannot receive a grade lower than a "C." He is a success! Passed from grade to grade and can't read a lick.

The schools in the other states where these children are now enrolled are about to be privy to one of Louisiana's dirty little secrets.

Billy has a pretty good take on New Orleans. He lays it on the line, and I haven't read anything that sounded like an exaggeration--he is right on target.
Thank you for your explanation. It sounds like a horrible situation.

Just heard on the news that our schools enrollments have increased 4 fold and that's not everyone. I really am glad that we can help but our taxes are probably going to skyrocket. Don't mean to sound crass but that's the reality of it.

Just read, on Drudge, that 2 displaced students from Loyola and Tulane in LA were stabbed at Boston College.

If true WTF? Is it open season on these poor people?

Also, just read app. 53 deaths in Houston (Harris County) most natural of the elderly and 2 suicides. 13 deaths in Dallas considered all natural and of elderly.

kato said:
That was yesterday.
I'm aware of that fact. I thought I'd post a link to the story, since it is the title of this thread. (I looked to see if it had already been posted and I couldn't find it).

jannuncutt said:
I'm aware of that fact. I thought I'd post a link to the story, since it is the title of this thread. (I looked to see if it had already been posted and I couldn't find it).

Oh, thought you meant another one.

I hope the kids from New Orleans make out okay. The first couple of weeks are tramatic as it is. I say give it a few months and hopefully it will be like they lived there all their lives. The less attention drawn to them, I think the better off they'll be. It must be awful to be uprooted from the security of your home, school, family and neighborhood to be thrown into an environment where your different, if only because your the new kid.

Beyond Belief said:
I hope the kids from New Orleans make out okay. The first couple of weeks are tramatic as it is. I say give it a few months and hopefully it will be like they lived there all their lives. The less attention drawn to them, I think the better off they'll be. It must be awful to be uprooted from the security of your home, school, family and neighborhood to be thrown into an environment where your different, if only because your the new kid.

This is incredibly hard on these kids. My highschooler has told me that he sees tears every day at school--even some of the guys from New Orleans have cried. My son was moved to a different English teacher--she's a displaced teacher from New Orleans--and she cried in class today. She told them she has lost everything, her home, her car, even her momma. She told the class that she will never go back to New Orleans, she's moving here permanantly. The trauma in these lives is unimaginable.

kgeaux said:
This is incredibly hard on these kids. My highschooler has told me that he sees tears every day at school--even some of the guys from New Orleans have cried. My son was moved to a different English teacher--she's a displaced teacher from New Orleans--and she cried in class today. She told them she has lost everything, her home, her car, even her momma. She told the class that she will never go back to New Orleans, she's moving here permanantly. The trauma in these lives is unimaginable.

I am seeing this more and more. The hardship is incredible. The stories I hear daily are unimaginable.The pain people are going through just keeps me in tears most of the time.But we keep reaching out and doing what we can. But this is tougher than any other disaster we have faced. I have hugged so many lately than my hug machine is working overtime.But I always have time for one more.Working for the Red Cross is an awesome experience.

Houston could have a new crime wave in the wake of Hurricane Katrina brought in by New Orleans gangs, the FBI warned Wednesday.

The FBI intelligence memo obtained by KPRC Local 2 warned other law enforcement agencies that gang member evacuees might bring an "us versus them" mentality that could lead to shootings and other violence all over Houston.
http://www.click2houston.com/news/4975025/detail.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea