Fight in Houston School

mysteriew said:
Houston could have a new crime wave in the wake of Hurricane Katrina brought in by New Orleans gangs, the FBI warned Wednesday.

The FBI intelligence memo obtained by KPRC Local 2 warned other law enforcement agencies that gang member evacuees might bring an "us versus them" mentality that could lead to shootings and other violence all over Houston.
http://www.click2houston.com/news/4975025/detail.html

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I don't mind us helping them out. But I sure hope they respect us and our city. I'm sure they'll be some bad apples floating around.

Two college students displaced by Hurricane Katrina are recovering after being stabbed in Boston.

The students from Loyola University in New Orleans are attending classes at Boston College. Police and BC officials say they were attacked after an argument with five men at about 1:30 a.m. outside a convenience store in the Cleveland Circle neighborhood.
http://www.wdsu.com/news/4972970/detail.html

BillyGoatGruff said:
Wake up. For the most part the other towns in LA have seriously disliked/mistrusted NO for centuries. Its the big city where the the rubes get fleeced and mugged and shook down, and it shares a reputation much like that of pre-Guiliani NYC for being full of crooks, con-men & hookers. And after watching the looting and other crap on CNN, I would be leery as well, especially if I lived in a small town with A sheriff.

when i first read this, i thought "wow"...then as i read your further comments, you do have a point...it does make sense....i've read elsewhere, also, that a lot of people are very leery of the kids/folks from NO coming to their cities/towns.....

kato said:
Yes, quite rude. I wish I could go track her down. She was an elderly woman about 65-70. You'd think she'd know better. Guess not.
Maybe she was frustrated. Our shelters are getting torn up, and the crime is rising. You have to look at it from our point of view also. It is hard to be nice all the time when things are being abused and nothing seems to be good enough for some. The road runs both ways my friend. I know that all are not this way, but there are WAY MORE that are acting this way in the Houston area. I can not speak for what is happening in other areas of the state. :(

deandaniellws said:
Maybe she was frustrated. Our shelters are getting torn up, and the crime is rising. You have to look at it from our point of view also. It is hard to be nice all the time when things are being abused and nothing seems to be good enough for some. The road runs both ways my friend. I know that all are not this way, but there are WAY MORE that are acting this way in the Houston area. I can not speak for what is happening in other areas of the state. :(
A friend in Minneapolis told me that a bus load of evacuees got off the bus and refused to go further when they realized it was headed for Minnesotta. They didn't want to go anywhere cold, and demanded to be sent somewhere warmer.
So I guess beggars CAN be choosers. Of course, the joke was on them, really, becase Minnesotta is one of the biggest welfare states around, next to Vermont.

BillyGoatGruff said:
A friend in Minneapolis told me that a bus load of evacuees got off the bus and refused to go further when they realized it was headed for Minnesotta. They didn't want to go anywhere cold, and demanded to be sent somewhere warmer.
So I guess beggars CAN be choosers. Of course, the joke was on them, really, becase Minnesotta is one of the biggest welfare states around, next to Vermont.
It is also a nice place to live. I am so sick of the fools from NO that ruin it for the sweet ones here that are happy we are helping them. It only takes a few to ruin everything. And believe me......we have more than a few of those horrible ones here in Houston. I feel so very sorry for the college students misplaced. This must be a nightmare for them. I suspect the semester will be a bust for most of them.

BillyGoatGruff said:

They did the same thing in Utah. They told the people they were going to San Antonio and didn't tell them they where they were going til they took off. I wonder why they are being deceptive. I'm sorry but I've lived in Houston all my life and there is no way I could or would live up north. Just too dang cold.

kato said:
They did the same thing in Utah. They told the people they were going to San Antonio and didn't tell them they where they were going til they took off. I wonder why they are being deceptive. I'm sorry but I've lived in Houston all my life and there is no way I could or would live up north. Just too dang cold.
You can always put on more clothes. And houses up north are built to conserve heat, not like down South. I'd rather live somewhere with a change of seasons than somewhere where where it's either Summer or Not Summer.

BillyGoatGruff said:
You can always put on more clothes. And houses up north are built to conserve heat, not like down South. I'd rather live somewhere with a change of seasons than somewhere where where it's either Summer or Not Summer.

Well, putting on more clothes does not help me. When I went skiing in MT after my parents moved I had on 2 pairs of long johns, a t-shirt, sweater, 3 pairs of socks plus my ski stuff and I froze my butt off. I'd much rather be hot. In fact I have a heater in my office and keep my door shut so the cold air from the hallway does not drift in.

kato said:
Well, putting on more clothes does not help me. When I went skiing in MT after my parents moved I had on 2 pairs of long johns, a t-shirt, sweater, 3 pairs of socks plus my ski stuff and I froze my butt off. I'd much rather be hot. In fact I have a heater in my office and keep my door shut so the cold air from the hallway does not drift in.
The trick is not to just layer stuff on, but to create air pockets between the layers. And you'll be surprised how much you sweat in cold weather. But don't let the sweaty layers get exposed to cold. Silk is a much better material for longjohns that thermal cotton, for example.

BillyGoatGruff said:
The trick is not to just layer stuff on, but to create air pockets between the layers. And you'll be surprised how much you sweat in cold weather. But don't let the sweaty layers get exposed to cold. Silk is a much better material for longjohns that thermal cotton, for example.
Yes it is. It makes a big difference! This past year is the first time I decided to cough up enough money to buy the better lj's and it was WELL worth the extra money.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BasicallyAnxious
Back