GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
NG-Insanity unless the prosecutor is powerful enough in closing to convince me otherwise.

Don't throw stuff at me, please.

goodmorning! I have been busy in RL lately but have read every single post by you wonderful people. THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATES.

If I were on the jury I would find her guilty. No insanity for my vote. Based on the notes, the calendar, and a bunch more she clearly planned this. I was surprised that they didn't stress the one note where she mentioned that C would maybe go to heaven! (vs herself and her son for sure going to heaven).

This woman was MI but she was also very angry imhoo and planned this out.

That being said the entire thing is just so tragic. :-(

That is what stops me from believing the defendant was insane. She was cognizant of other peoples' reactions to what she was planning and finally did. IMO you can't reason with an insane person, their world doesn't include any understanding of what they are doing impacting other people. IMO they are incapable of empathy.

JS understood that Beau might cause problems if he heard Calyx being shot. JS understood her husband's heart would be stomped on upon hearing about the deaths and JS understood that a community would need to mourn and therefore planned Memorial Services.

JS while mentally ill was and is not insane. I do hope she continues to get treatment if incarcerated in prison.

I am clearly not on the fence and feel very comfortable with my opinion that she should be found Guilty of First Degree Murder.

The last doctor who testified wrapped it all up in a neat bow for me.

Everything she did beginning five days before the murders until she executed the murders took clear cognitive thinking. She accomplished everything she set out to do. I no more believe she was planning on committing suicide anyway.

I have no doubts whatsoever that she was not insane at the time and she did know how to calculate and plan all of this out to a tee. All of that takes clear cognitive thought to plan this out and then execute it.

All the things she did to cover it up also has convinced me she is not legally insane. How she lied to Beau about it being a toy gun.... to how she crept up behind Caylx and lied why she was there. How she put the vehicle in the garage knowing her murdered son was inside of it even though she had never parked there before. All of her own words and actions shows me she is one evil, cunning, and manipulative murderer.

IMO

See this is where I'm hung up. JS was well practiced at pretending to be 'ok'. I think she pulled it together enough for appearance sake (very important in the military) on many occasions. So while it seems she was thinking clearly and functioning well cognitively, it could've been an 'act'. People with BP type 1 IN psychotic breaks CAN appear clear thinking if they really wish to. They can't keep it up for very long but it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABCActionNewsCourt ‏@actionnewscourt · 3m
Jury is now entering the courtroom for closing arguments in #ScheneckerTrial. WATCH LIVE NOW: http://wfts.tv/1jGWUtl

Jeff Patterson ‏@WFLAJeff · 3m
Judge Battles has now entered the courtroom.. All in place, closing arguments set to begin in #ScheneckerTrial

7:14 AM

Twitter
carsonchambers

@CarsonChambers

Closing arguments about to begin in #JulieSchenecker trial

I'm stuck on a sentence from yesterday.. 'Were it not for her mental illness, this would not have happened."

Trial Junkie ‏@Trial__Junkie now
Closing arguement in the #JulieSchenecker trial about to get underway

See this is where I'm hung up. JS was well practiced at pretending to be 'ok'. I think she pulled it together enough for appearance sake (very important in the military) on many occasions. So while it seems she was thinking clearly and functioning well cognitively, it could've been an 'act'. People with BP type 1 IN psychotic breaks CAN appear clear thinking if they really wish to. They can't keep it up for very long but it can be done.

I think it could also come down to is who has had experience dealing with MI and who hasn't--

goodmorning! I have been busy in RL lately but have read every single post by you wonderful people. THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATES.

If I were on the jury I would find her guilty. No insanity for my vote. Based on the notes, the calendar, and a bunch more she clearly planned this. I was surprised that they didn't stress the one note where she mentioned that C would maybe go to heaven! (vs herself and her son for sure going to heaven).

This woman was MI but she was also very angry imhoo and planned this out.

That being said the entire thing is just so tragic. :-(

Morning Sleuthers! :seeya::loveyou:

Just wanted to say I agree with you nurse. My vote is for guilty.
I believe she only met 1 of the 2 requirements for the insanity vote. She is Mentally Ill, but knew what she was doing was wrong.

Having said that, I do not judge or dislike anyone for having a different opinion than mine.

I had to step away from all the psych talk yesterday, it scrambled my brain a bit..so now am going back to catch up reading on the old thread.

Court is getting a late start today!

I am one of the ones who have always believed mothers murder their children for the same reasons that fathers do. Although that is a minority opinion held.:) Mothers tend to be given excuses when the father is not.

I believe she killed her children because deep down she had no attachment or love for them. They had become 'mouthy' burdens she didn't want to carry. She felt they loved their father more than they loved her. She also wanted to hurt Parker in the worst way possible..........and did.

Really the vast majority of women that murder their children aren't MI. Only 2-4% of the time are they mentally insane. Of course that defense isn't even used if the murderer happens to be the father.

It is a myth that has long been told that a mother must be insane to kill her own children when that absolutely isn't the case.

IMO

IMO evil is not sexist. It comes in all shapes and sizes. This is a mother whose own feelings were paramount and wouldn't tolerate kids who no longer orbited around her sun.

I remember the youngish girl (can't recall her name) but she wanted to see what killing a person felt like so she lured her young neighbor into the woods, killed her and the buried the child in a shallow grave. :eek:

BBM. There's something that bothers me...about the sole female expert to testify being the most adamantly insisting *JS was sane.* Is she judging JS more harshly than the male docs? (Or are they going "soft" on JS because she's a woman?)

JS requested Dr. Stein to be her psychiatrist, (she doesn't realize that would be impossible?! Is that a delusion?)

Maybe JS opened up more to Dr. Stein because she's female, a possible explanation for the tears during testimony. The doc used the female connection to get more from JS (and then turned on her.)

IMO the fantasy/plan to murder her children and commit suicide was forming in JS's mind for years prior to the ultimate outcome. I believe that those thoughts fueled her addiction, her MI and her deteriorating relationships. JS let herself go because the effort required to keep her head above water was too great. I do believe that she was insane, (maybe not in the legal sense.) I think she let herself "go there." Sadly, it's too late to go back.

Correct me if I am wrong (I very well could be!), but wasn't Dr. Stein hired by the state? I believe the ones the state hired were paid to proclaim "sane".
I don't think her sex has anything to do with it.
I missed the end of the first Doctors yesterdays testimony. He was a state witness also, yeah?
Did he conclude that JS was sane when she committed the murders or no?
TIA.

PS- Defense had a woman Dr. also, who claimed she was Insane ATT. She however was not as "sharp" as Dr. Stein, IMO.

There's something bothering me as well. I can't put my finger on anything exact though. It's a few things that are throwing me off. I am in NO way saying she's innocent nor am I blaming PS...I do believe he thought he was doing the right things to help her. I just can't help but feel that there's much more to this family dynamic and their marriage that we aren't hearing. I do feel that Parker leaving for Qatar created the perfect storm. It had obviously been brewing since her car accident and continued to brew until he left. I don't believe she was completely sane when committing the murders. She was in the midst of a psychotic break, her thoughts of wrong vs right were skewed. I just don't know how to feel here. She's very ill and has been for quite some time. Leaving her alone with the children and all of life's hassles when she had just spent weeks in bed in a depressed state wasn't a call I would've made. Jmo here. Like I said, this one has me wondering.

What has amazed me the most about this case is Parker's full commitment and devotion to not only his children but to Julie as well.

It is almost unbelievable that he would continue to stay with someone who was making his life and the life of his children a living hell just trying to struggle day to day living with Julie.

Yet, he seemed to support her in everyway she would let him. He was certainly good enough for her to see that she got to go to the treatment facility she wanted to go to but not good enough to be given the right to information about his own wife's treatment/condition, who he and his children had to live with.

It really seemed Julie pulled the strings there. She sure wasn't fearful of her husband. No woman fearful gambles the thousands of dollars away like she did.... all behind his back.

I think having to live with Julie for 20 years taught Parker that the best and only way to have some kind of semblance of peace when it came to Julie was to spoil her, give into her. He was even willing to send his own daughter away to boarding school because JULIE couldn't get along with her own daughter.

I have nothing but heartfelt sympathy for Parker. Not many men in the same situation would have suffered through 20 years with a wife that caused so many problems. Most men would have thrown up their hands and walked out never to return.

Parker didn't deserve any of this and neither did the children.

IMO

NG-Insanity unless the prosecutor is powerful enough in closing to convince me otherwise.

Don't throw stuff at me, please.

NG - Insanity, I have decided that interspersed moments of sanity or clarity do not constitute a sane mind, I think she's been sick for a long time and only getting sicker.

I think the only difference the verdict will make is where she receives treatment for the rest of her life.

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 45s
Observation: one juror wearing a suit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther