GUILTY FL - Camden Hiers, 5, drowned in bathtub, St George Island, 4 Jan 2010

Such a tragic case. That sweet little 5 year old is now happily playing in heaven. The grandma must have had some intense emotional trauma associated with divorce, or some heavy psychological baggage prompting her action. Prayers for this family.:angel:

What a horror for this family who shared the duplex last week at St George with the Bordts & little Camden.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...-death-at-St.-George-stuns-Tallahassee-family

"When Gandy, a Tallahassee resident, went to the Web site and recognized the woman’s face, she started crying. Then she threw up.

"Marianne Bordt’s image was familiar, and at that moment Gandy was learning that the 5-year-old boy her family had come to know on the beach at St. George Island was dead and that the person arrested was Bordt, the child’s grandmother. The two families met while vacationing there last week."

"The Gandy family, the German couple and their grandson became vacationing neighbors on Dec. 28. The two families had rented units in the same condominium ...//... Gandy said, Hiers seemed to gravitate to her family, including her husband Nick and their two sons, 12-year-old Grant and 8-year-old Gregory.

“He wanted to do whatever he could to hang out with us,” Nick said. “He talked my ear off. He even admitted to me, ‘I talk a lot.’ ”

If you can't trust Grandma who the he!! can ya trust?
Florida again hmmm I'm not shocked.

jmo

Please not everyone in FL is bad. The articles states they were Germans vacationing here.

And I wonder if she was in the early stages of alzheimer's. I know from experience that they can get kind of weird if their routine and surroundings are changed. Maybe the trip here unhinged her.

No matter though this is so tragic

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/98364124.html

71 year-old Marianne Bordt appeared before the judge Tuesday (July 13th) for a case management hearing.

A trial date is expected to be set sometime in October. The prosecutor says he expects the trial itself to take place either late this year or early next year.

Bordt, a German native, is accused of drowning her 5 year-old grandson in the bathtub while they were vacationing on St. George Island back in January. She's charged with first degree murder and aggravated child abuse. The state of Florida is seeking the death penalty.

71 year-old Marianne Bordt was back in court today for another hearing. Today, The judge rescheduled another hearing for December 13th to determine if Bordt will remain in the Leon County Jail or be placed in a mental institution to ensure her competency for court.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v...v.tv/realestate/misc/34092719.html?realestate
Bordt, a German native, is accused of drowning her 5 year-old grandson in the bathtub while they were vacationing on St. George Island back in January. She's charged with first degree murder and aggravated child abuse. The state of Florida is seeking the death penalty.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/98364124.html

grandmother seems bloody unhinged to me. Like someone said, she could be/have alzheimer's or a mental disorder. I hope she has a physch eval.

MOO

Mel

APALACHICOLA — Both the prosecution and defense in the first-degree murder trial of Marianne Bordt last week agreed the 72-year-old German woman is not competent to stand trial.

But what steps need to be taken to restore her to competency, and where that should take place, are very much in dispute.

At a hearing before Circuit Judge Angela Dempsey Nov. 23 at the county courthouse in Apalachicola, Robin Myers, assistant state attorney, said the report of forensic psychologist Dr. Gregory Prichard, of Bristol, determined Bordt was “marginally incompetent” to stand trial.

more here

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...ndson-in-St-George-incompetent-to-stand-trial

WTH is with the grandparents these days killing their grandbabies? How is it that they were able to raise children who are alive long enough to have kids?

She needs to be put on trial,she was competent when she drowned her grandchild.She murdered him she deserves the DP. is now playing the old and batty card,she needs to go to trial.This world has gone crazy!If I was the other grandparent she would not have made it to a jail cell.

This is so sad.. I am telling you, you can't trust anyone these days

What a sweetie

Attachments

• Camden_Hiers.jpg
    Camden_Hiers.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 25
This case is moving very slowly. There was some sort of hearing scheduled for yesterday related to the competency issue. I don't know if it was even held, since this article is from June:

http://www.apalachtimes.com/articles/challenge-9568-plans-bordt.html

It turns out she is depressed because of the death of her grandson, whom she allegedly murdered! Can you believe it?!

http://www.apalachtimes.com/articles/psychologists-9058-chattahoochee-competency.html

Thanks, JoeFromLB - I read those links. In reference to the second link all I can say is what a bunch of psychobabble. Even if all of those terrible things mdid happen, those events have no relevance to to this woman's murder of her grandson. How is it that she functioned well for all of the years in between?? Just delaying justice for the father of the little boy she murdered!!

One thing I am wondering, if anyone see any other articles about this tragedy: where is the former Mrs. Hier( daughter of the murderess)? How she she coped with the loss of her son at the hands of her mother? I have always wondered.

I was wondering that too Kate as I was reading thru this horrible story.

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/Woman_Accused_of_Drowning_Grandson_is_Back_in_Court_.html

[UPDATE ] 10-31 at 6:15pm by Jerry Askin

A two day competency hearing has led a judge to find 72-year old Marianne Bordt ready to stand trial. A public defender spent Monday morning trying to convince the judge that Bordt is not ready.

"She doesn't understand the fifth amendment. She thinks I get to decide whether she gets to testify. She thinks Mr. Myers is going to sentence her if she's found guilty," says Public Defender Andrew Thomas.

Bordt opted not to appear via video link for the hearing, saying she didn't want to be upset.

---------
State Attorney Robin Myers says Bordt only speaks German and that's been the biggest barrier, but he claims she's ready for trial. He says her post-traumatic stress and mental health have very little to do with her competency.

Forensic psychologist Dr. Harry McClarin evaluated Bordt three times while she was being held at Florida State Hospital. He ultimately found her not competent to stand trial.

--------
But state experts who testified last week said Bordt is competent, understands the legal system and is ready for trial.

The parents of little Camden were not in court today. We did call his father and he says he's relieved the case against his former mother-in-law can resume and move forward.

Attorneys in the case are scheduled to be back in court on November 14th to schedule a trial date.

-------
[UPDATE] 10-31 - 11:30am -

The judge just found 72-year-old Marianne Bordt competent to stand trial. The judge agreed with the state that many people do not understand the court system and just because she has a language barrier or past mental illness does not mean she's incompetent.

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/Woman_Accused_of_Drowning_Grandson_is_Back_in_Court_.html

[UPDATE ] 10-31 at 6:15pm by Jerry Askin

A two day competency hearing has led a judge to find 72-year old Marianne Bordt ready to stand trial. A public defender spent Monday morning trying to convince the judge that Bordt is not ready.

"She doesn't understand the fifth amendment. She thinks I get to decide whether she gets to testify. She thinks Mr. Myers is going to sentence her if she's found guilty," says Public Defender Andrew Thomas.

Bordt opted not to appear via video link for the hearing, saying she didn't want to be upset.

---------
State Attorney Robin Myers says Bordt only speaks German and that's been the biggest barrier, but he claims she's ready for trial. He says her post-traumatic stress and mental health have very little to do with her competency.

Forensic psychologist Dr. Harry McClarin evaluated Bordt three times while she was being held at Florida State Hospital. He ultimately found her not competent to stand trial.

--------
But state experts who testified last week said Bordt is competent, understands the legal system and is ready for trial.

The parents of little Camden were not in court today. We did call his father and he says he's relieved the case against his former mother-in-law can resume and move forward.

Attorneys in the case are scheduled to be back in court on November 14th to schedule a trial date.

-------
[UPDATE] 10-31 - 11:30am -

The judge just found 72-year-old Marianne Bordt competent to stand trial. The judge agreed with the state that many people do not understand the court system and just because she has a language barrier or past mental illness does not mean she's incompetent.

BBM.

Who knows, she could be "not understanding" those things on purpose.
How many times have we learned of clever criminals fooling the psychologists? Enough already with the endless testing!

These insanity pleas and "not competent" filings are mostly garbage, imo.
They're just an attempt to manipulate the system and escape responsibility.

[UPDATE ] 11-18

Marianne Bordt, accused of drowning her grandson during a vacation to St. George Island, will have a court hearing on December 12th at 1:30pm. It is not known at this time if the Dec. 12th hearing will be in Apalachicola or Leon County.

On Janurary 10, 2012, Bordt will have a case management hearing at 1:30pm in Apalachicola. The trial date will be set at this time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back