FL - Cooper Dubovik, 5 mos, dies of head trauma, Jacksonville, 7 March 2017 *Arrest*

This is a problem with a person you don't know watching your child alone, for a little bit of money full time. I'm also not blaming the parents - certainly they thought they were doing the right thing in hiring this grandma to care for their baby.

But this is a recipe for disaster. Sketchy women (and she's sketchy by any standard) left alone to care for a baby they don't love, and are paid little, and the children are too young to tell tales, create a fertile ground for serious abuse. This is the scenario when children are beaten or killed by a caregiver.

I didn't even know you could throw a child hard enough into a play pen to fracture a skull, and I kind of doubt that's what happened. Playpens are padded.

If you have to place a child in care with strangers, a licensed commercial daycare is the way to go, with many adults having their eyes on the kids.

So, so sad. This picture of this child - he looks frightened.

Parents often think that they'll get better care with a one on one caregiver, and it seems this couple hired a grandma expecting her to be the better care than a larger facility. The outcome is so sad.

To the part I put in bold above....

Unfortunately, many families cannot afford that type of daycare. So their options are very limited. It's quite sad. I don't know this family's situation but I do know that is a common one.

Piggybacking off of Amy's comment, even a lot of "licensed" places have been found to be toxic environments for the children enrolled there. I think it was a couple decades ago that investigations into daycares across the country uncovered widespread abuse, even Satanic ritual abuse in some instances. Even if it doesn't escalate into full-on abuse, I know that when I volunteered one summer at a day camp for disabled youth, I witnessed at times some callous attitudes towards the children. Your child might be bullied or sworn at even by a teacher: [video=youtube;tfkscHt96R0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkscHt96R0[/video]

You'd be surprised at how many daycare providers are actually money-grubbing abusers in sheep's clothing. Just because a place looks clean, with shiny, modern facilities and an educated staff, does not mean that your child will necessarily be in good hands... just saying

Piggybacking off of Amy's comment, even a lot of "licensed" places have been found to be toxic environments for the children enrolled there. I think it was a couple decades ago that investigations into daycares across the country uncovered widespread abuse, even Satanic ritual abuse in some instances. Even if it doesn't escalate into full-on abuse, I know that when I volunteered one summer at a day camp for disabled youth, I witnessed at times some callous attitudes towards the children. Your child might be bullied or sworn at even by a teacher: [video=youtube;tfkscHt96R0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkscHt96R0[/video]

You'd be surprised at how many daycare providers are actually money-grubbing abusers in sheep's clothing. Just because a place looks clean, with shiny, modern facilities and an educated staff, does not mean that your child will necessarily be in good hands... just saying

I completely agree - but if you don't have the money to place the child with a known loving person, and observe that your child thrives under that care and looks forward to seeing the caregiver, you're stuck with the second best (IMHO) option is commercially licensed child care with more than one adult supervising the child (and each other). Although that's certainly NOT perfect - daycare workers can treat the kids with such hostility even while I'm there observing! Hostile and cold. But not the kind of abusive we've all seen on hidden cameras of adults who are alone with the child. Sad sad sad.

I completely agree - but if you don't have the money to place the child with a known loving person, and observe that your child thrives under that care and looks forward to seeing the caregiver, you're stuck with the second best (IMHO) option is commercially licensed child care with more than one adult supervising the child (and each other). Although that's certainly NOT perfect - daycare workers can treat the kids with such hostility even while I'm there observing! Hostile and cold. But not the kind of abusive we've all seen on hidden cameras of adults who are alone with the child. Sad sad sad.

That isn't entirely accurate. Horrible abuse can happened at commercial, licensed facilitates as well. Here is just one example - (it's local to me so it was the first one that came to my mind.) http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/oma...cle_debf6628-cc47-11e5-a27d-efa3fa06dc54.html

I am an early childhood educator who plans to open my own child care centre in my home - as sad as it is, a lot of child care centres are not up to the right standard. When I was doing my field placements, the only time things were done properly was when we were being inspected - the teachers completely changed their routines on the days they were inspected. It was horrifying and is my motive for opening my own home, quality child care. I don't trust regular child care centres because I've seen it first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back