GUILTY FL - Courtney Wilkes, 15, raped, murdered in Seagrove Beach, 16 June 2011

I'm beginning to wonder why intelligent, educated, ambitious, successful and promising young women and teenagers are so often victims.

The folowing is my own opinion which I have formed from knowing several members of the Wilkes family and from reading descriptions of the Cozzie man on the internet. I wonder if jealousy played some part in this horrible crime. I think one can interpret the essence of both the victim and the indicted person from reading on the internet. Courtney was everything that Cozzie is not and probably would never be. From reading the Florida newspaper articles with their accompanying user forums, it seems he attached himself to families on vacation. Courtney happened to be the unlucky girl near him when his rage found its outlet. I think if it wasn't her, it would have been another young girl at some other time. Thankfully, he is where he can hurt noone else.

Is there not a glaring contradiction in the above news article? The mother says Steven said he was under the influence of drugs that night. Courtney died in the afternoon not night.

Another thing I find to be a contradiction is the fact she says he came to live with her at age 18 but yet the family had this Ghost hunting business as early as 2004 -the first webpage they had has been removed but I found this created by Steven himself... http://webspace.webring.com/people/cj/juniorghosthunter/Paranormal_Links.html hmmm in 2004 he would have been what 15 -just seems odd to me the whole family seems odd.

Referencing a forum poster accompanying this newspaper article
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/south-41095-walton-county.html

The forum poster said he went to high school with Cozzie, and Cozzie was 20 years old and still in high school. Other comments made on different articles by this same newspaper have memtioned that Cozzie was an ESE student. This probably means he was some type of special education student as they can stay in school until their 21st birthday. His family dabbles in the paranormal. I think his special ed status, if he in fact had one, and his upbringing will be used heavily in his defense. From what I've read about the WCSO and their feelings about this crime, I'm sure they are dotting their i's and crossing their t's with this one.

Referencing a forum poster accompanying this newspaper article
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/south-41095-walton-county.html

The forum poster said he went to high school with Cozzie, and Cozzie was 20 years old and still in high school. Other comments made on different articles by this same newspaper have memtioned that Cozzie was an ESE student. This probably means he was some type of special education student as they can stay in school until their 21st birthday. His family dabbles in the paranormal. I think his special ed status, if he in fact had one, and his upbringing will be used heavily in his defense. From what I've read about the WCSO and their feelings about this crime, I'm sure they are dotting their i's and crossing their t's with this one.

I am a paranormal researcher - Both myself and my husband. We're not about to go off and murder people. That has nothing to do with this. This is a sick individual who was kicked out of his house and finally snapped. IMO

I did not mean to imply that someone interested in the paranormal would be likely to commit murder. I am widely read in the subject but not a paranormal researcher. From my experience, a lot of people are not familiar with paranormal activity and could think it involves something sinister because they do not know that it is the study of things that cannot be explained scientifically. What I meant was that a defense lawyer could claim that since Cozzie's family is interested in the paranormal, people could perceive him as different from them and a rush to judgement occured. The special education mention is because it has been used before when trying to establish a dimished capacity defense. Many people outside of education do not realize that special education status applies to a wide range of abilities from those considered intellecutally gifted to profoundly mentally handicapped. I have not heard an official statement that Cozzie had a special education status in school and do not expect to hear this. If we hear he was special education, it will probably be from his defense lawyer. Neither a special education description nor an interest in the paranormal made this man commit this horrible crime. My opinion is he did it because he wanted to. This man has a trial court appearance in his future. Neither of the above mentioned issues should have a place in that courtroom. My thinking is that both of them will make an appearance due to his defense.

ok the parents kicked him out for some reason. This doesnt make any sense at all. Another case of some mentally disturbed person that the family just pretends nothing is wrong!!

Gotcha. :blushing: Sorry for jumping to conclusions. :heartluv:
I did not mean to imply that someone interested in the paranormal would be likely to commit murder. I am widely read in the subject but not a paranormal researcher. From my experience, a lot of people are not familiar with paranormal activity and could think it involves something sinister because they do not know that it is the study of things that cannot be explained scientifically. What I meant was that a defense lawyer could claim that since Cozzie's family is interested in the paranormal, people could perceive him as different from them and a rush to judgement occured. The special education mention is because it has been used before when trying to establish a dimished capacity defense. Many people outside of education do not realize that special education status applies to a wide range of abilities from those considered intellecutally gifted to profoundly mentally handicapped. I have not heard an official statement that Cozzie had a special education status in school and do not expect to hear this. If we hear he was special education, it will probably be from his defense lawyer. Neither a special education description nor an interest in the paranormal made this man commit this horrible crime. My opinion is he did it because he wanted to. This man has a trial court appearance in his future. Neither of the above mentioned issues should have a place in that courtroom. My thinking is that both of them will make an appearance due to his defense.

No apology is necessary. I do share your interest and have most of my life. The roots of one part of my family are Cajun. As a child, I loved listening to the very old members of this side of the family talk. Because I know several of Courtney's family members, I am very concerned about what could happen in court when the trial starts. With the Anthony verdict fresh in our minds, nothing seems certain anymore. We have just been reminded in a very big way that good people doen't always win. I dislike the idea of the Wilkes family sitting there in a courtroom while someone tries to "explain" why this man killed their child and sister. I don't really care what extenuating circumstances may exist in his life if there are any. He did the crime, DNA linked him to it, and he should suffer the ultimate penalty for his crime. Our community is working through its grief for this young lady. Friends and supporters of the Wilkes family are carrying on with the FFA projects she would have completed this year. She had gotten a calf to raise and show next school year. The FFA members are raising this calf and will show it in her honor. Another project was to restore an older tractor of her grandfather's. Money is being raised to see this project completed also.

Pearl, it hurts to think of all that Courtney would have contributed to this world, had it not been cut short by this monster.

Courtney's family placed a full page thank you for the support they have and are receiving in our local paper this week, the Vidalia Advance. Their heartbreak comes through in their words. The notice was surrounded by pictures of Courtney involved in her many activities, FFA, soccer, school, and family. I cried when I read it.

Courtney should have started her junior year in high school today.

This is from our local newspaper, The Advance, this week. Can't provide a link because it is not online.
The state of Florida will seek the death penalty if Steven Cozzie is convicted of murdering Courtney. State's attorney has concluded that the murder was "heinous, attrocious, and cruel."

August 3, 2011

Steven Cozzie — pronounce that “cozy,” please
— and his attorney Lenny Platteborze apparently have reconciled their differences.

Given the forum of a court appearance, Cozzie appeared most interested in setting the record straight about the pronunciation of his name.

Wells granted his request to address the court.

“I want to make something clear,” the defendant said in a firm tone. “My name isn’t Cozzie (cozzie), it’s Cozzie (cozy).”

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/court-95790-slideshow-defuniak.html#ixzz1W1qWkgF8

What's in a name?
For Steven Cozzie it may cost him an insanity plea.

http://www.waltonsun.com/news/florida-7320-cozzie-says.html

August 16, 2011

State Attorney Bill Eddins announced Tuesday that his office will seek the death penalty if it obtains a conviction in the murder case against Steven Cozzie.

A pre-trial hearing in the case is scheduled for Dec. 15.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles/cozzie-42729-seek-penalty.html#ixzz1W1pY0obg

Courtney's earthly life was taken one year ago today. Rest in Peace, sweet girl.

The trial for the man accused of killing sweet Courtney Wilkes is scheduled to begin jury selection this coming Monday. Prayers for the Wilkes family.

The trial for the man accused of killing sweet Courtney Wilkes is scheduled to begin jury selection this coming Monday. Prayers for the Wilkes family.

pearl, I am glad you posted about this upcoming trial. I was not familiar with this case until your new post brought it up in the index. I just read through the thread... So sad, what a truly senseless tragedy. It's so clear that her murder greatly impacted your community.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astoldbybels
Back