FL FL - Dori Myers, 44, St Lucie County, 11 Jan 2006

Sister of long missing Lakewood Park woman keeps memory, fight alive

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/crime/st-lucie-county/sister-of-long-missing-lakewood-park-woman-keeps-memory-fight-alive-32bb53da-c5e5-3860-e053-0100007f-383292211.html

When Dori Ann Myers disappeared from her Lakewood Park home on Jan. 11, 2006, the only clues to her disappearance were her house and car engulfed in flames.

Ten years later, Donajean Kapp keeps her sister's memory alive by distributing posters and "justice4Dori" bracelets at the annual Community United Effort Center for Missing Persons conference in Wilmington, North Carolina, where she volunteers as a Florida outreach coordinator.

Ron Wentz, the detective assigned to Myers' case at the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office, said he spoke with Kapp in January, the month of the 10-year anniversary of her sister's disappearance.

"She was very emotional. Every phone call is emotional," Wentz said. "They have no closure."

Kapp, 56, of Jasper in North Florida, said there was nothing new Wentz could tell her about the investigation.

Kapp said Myers, who was 43 at the time of her disappearance, has been declared legally dead since 2007.

"We're looking for any evidence related to her disappearance, logically including her body," Wentz said.

Myers' son, Jesse King, 31, said he feels like her disappearance is now a cold case.

"Detectives are doing all they can. It doesn't get any easier," King said.

I wish this case would get solved, I've emailed and talked to her sister. She is so dedicated to finding her, but still there's no new leads. So sad...

Was there any evidence to suggest she was dumped at the boat ramp where her car was found? Someone near the beginning suggested the boat ramp was on Lake Okeechobee, which drains through a few coastal rivers to the Atlantic Ocean (don't quote me on this though).. if this is a possibly then could she be UID #UP148? Partial remains with shark activity found down in Tavernier FL 4 months after Dori was last seen, no more info given except pierced ears and short dark hair (in Dori's short hair pics on NamUs, it looks darker than her thumbnail pic).

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
#UP148 has 3 ruleouts of missing florida women who disappeared early 2006 - I wonder why Dori Myers wasn't checked and ruled-out? I don't live in America so if it's not possible for an entire body to pass through those coastal rivers and reach the Ocean let me know!!

Aug 23 2023 rbbm
'ST. LUCIE COUNTY, Fla. —
The St. Lucie County Sheriff’s office has about 34 cold cases. One of them has been put in the spotlight, with a billboard placed along U.S. Highway 1 just South of the St. Lucie-Indian River County line.

Dori Ann Myers, 43, vanished without a trace 17 years ago. Her face is a part of the department's efforts to find answers, with little clues left.'

''Case files reveal the 43-year-old was at a bar at the St. Lucie In in Fort Pierce on the evening of Jan. 10, 2006. In the early morning hours of Jan. 11, detectives say she was seen heading back to her Lakewood Park home with two men she met there to play poker.

A neighbor told investigators she heard some commotion in the middle of the night.''

''Investigators say Myers' car was set on fire about 80 miles away and left at a boat ramp along Lake Okeechobee in Glades County.
Myers was nowhere to be found. The two men that were with her were never found either.''

"I really feel that these people, whoever is involved in this, told somebody about it,” he added.
A $10,000 reward is being offered to anyone with information that leads to an arrest.''

'Somebody knows something': Detectives hoping billboards revive Dori Ann Myers cold case

FORT PIERCE, Fla. (CBS12) — Detectives are hopeful that two billboards can help make some progress on a mysterious case.

“Somebody knows something,” said Paul Taylor, a Cold Case Homicide Detective at the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office.

On January 10, 2006, Dori Ann Myers left the St. Lucie Inn with two men to play cards at her home in Fort Pierce along Salerno Road, near Turnpike Feeder Road.

Investigators say neighbors saw her car leave the home early in the morning, but didn’t see her. Later, both her car and her home were on fire.

Myers was never seen again.

Two new billboards feature Myers’ photo, a $10,000 reward for information and a tip line. One can be found off US-1, North of Turnpike Feeder Road, while the other one is west of Lake Okeechobee - near where Myers’ torched car was located.

“A lot of time passes, and I’ve seen that in other cold cases, where somebody was afraid of somebody, or they were friends with somebody, and now that relationship is no longer there, and it kind of leads them to come forward," Taylor explained. "I believe that these billboards are just something to help push them.”

Taylor says he hopes to get people talking about the case again because - 17 years later - most of the residents along Salerno Rd. were not aware of what happened on their block in 2006.

“I moved here, the house was...it didn’t have a roof, if was like a deserted house, so I never knew what happened till later on," said Al C., who lives on the same block as Myers' former home. "It’s unsettling, for some type of crime (to happen) and not being solved.”

Detectives believe there could be a clue when it comes to where the car was found.

“Dyess Ditch, if you don’t know it’s there, you’ll never see it, you wouldn’t find it, unless you knew it was there...for some reason, they went to that specific area, and it was somebody that knew that area," the detective shared. "They deserve justice, so we’re going to keep fighting until we solve the case.”

If you may have information on this case, Detective Taylor asks you to call him at 772-462-3386.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back