FL FL - Gail Joiner, 13, Thonotosassa, 22 Sept 1972

Richard, I can't thank you enough for this information. I have waited 33 years for this. Gail was a little younger than I was. I was born in 1960. Her older sister was about 10 months older than her if I remember right. I appreciate all this information about Gail it really helps me with dealing with what I lived with all these years. In fact I lived in Florida from 1980 till 1995 and remember the case against Stano. Little did I know that he was more than likely responsible for her dissappearance. As I sat here reading this I want to scream for what happened to my friend as I know now it was horrible indeed. Sitting here crying I wonder how her older sister is. I plan on continuing my search for her and hope that we can once again be friends. Can I ask where did you find all this information out? I tried asking the police in Florida and never got anywhere. I am still waiting for this one detective to call me back. I feel most of all for Gails dad James as he really loved her and I know the police thought she ran away for a while. They had only moved to Florida a few months earlier. Once again Thanks for all you help. Tressa

TressaClip said:
..... Can I ask where did you find all this information out? I tried asking the police in Florida and never got anywhere. I am still waiting for this one detective to call me back. I... Tressa
The information which I relayed in in my previous post came from the book "Blind Fury" by Anna Flowers. She claims in the beginning of the book that it was written using public records produced in court during Gerald Stano's numerous criminal trials. The book is well written and contains a large number of photos.

Anna Flowers acknowledged and thanked the Sheriff Departments of Florida's Volusia and Brevard Counties for their assistance and also Detective Paul Crow, who wrote the Forward to the book, and who was intimately involved with the investigations.

Stano confessed to the murder of forty two women during his seven year killing spree - which would have run roughly from sometime in 1972 up to his capture on 25 March 1980.

There is a separate thread on Gerald Stano in these boards. I have bumped it up to make it easier to locate.

Richard said:
This case is a perfect example of Law Enforcement holding on to vital information long after the reason for doing so has expired. It makes one wonder if the withholding of information or "classifying" it might be to cover up screw-ups in the investigation, rather than protecting sources or a hot investigation.

They haven't solved this one in almost 34 years. Does anyone believe that they are on the verge of solving it tomorrow - thus the necessity of with holding information like her photo, height, weight, eyecolor, birthdate, etc?

Thanks for sharing this. I've been simply astounded with how little info is available, all too often, and it really irritates me when a case is decades old.

Are they concerned that the disappearance is actually a case of insurance fraud? Do they believe that the disappearance is a homocide?

Well..... even if they do, why would they withhold so many details that might lead to a correct identification/location of the missing person?

It's like, for alot of these cases, you'd have to have seen the missing person, close up, day after day, for months & months & months, in order to make an identification from the usually ONE photo provided.

VERY irritating.

Only 24 years later does a picture come out, I swear I don't know where these peoples brains are half the time.

Gail Lorraine Joiner
Missing since September 22, 1972 from Thonotosassa, Hillsborough County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: July 22, 1959
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5' 0"; 100 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics:
White female.
Blonde/brown hair;
brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: She has a scar on her cheek and facial freckles.
Clothing: No shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Joiner was last seen in Thonotosassa, Florida on September 22, 1972. It has been reported that she came home from school, ate a sandwich, then left home to walk her pet raccoon, Bandit, on a leash. Witnesses saw Joiner standing near a white car parked on the edge of a work area, but nobody saw her get in the vehicle. She has never been heard from again.
Joiner moved to Florida from Michigan a few months before her disappearance. She has six siblings. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office 813-247-8000

Agency Case Number: 72M00001

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The Charley Project
Florida Department of Law Enforcement
The Doe Network: Case File 2190DFFL

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2190dffl.html

This case is a perfect example of Law Enforcement holding on to vital information long after the reason for doing so has expired. It makes one wonder if the withholding of information or "classifying" it might be to cover up screw-ups in the investigation, rather than protecting sources or a hot investigation.

Fluctuating PR policies is the price to pay for democracy I guess. As elected officials Sheriffs have a natural propensity to exert more control over what is divulged to the public about the cases they handle than municipal PD's, State police or even the FBI. If certain aspects of an ongoing investigation are deemed politically detrimental to a Sheriff the SO will usually do its best to prevent them from reaching the public. Leaks originating from political opponents often foil such attempts at secrecy, but not always.

September 22 will mark the 35 year anniversary of the disappearance of Gail...

Bump

Gail is not listed in NamUs at this time.

This month will mark 38 years that Gail has been missing. Come home soon.

Gail Lorraine Joiner
Missing since September 22, 1972 from Thonotosassa, Hillsborough County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: July 22, 1959
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5' 0"; 100 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde/brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: She has a scar on her cheek and facial freckles.
Clothing: jeans. No shoes.
Dentals/DNA: Not available.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Joiner was last seen in Thonotosassa, Florida on September 22, 1972. It has been reported that she came home from school, ate a sandwich, then left home to walk her pet raccoon, Bandit, on a leash. Witnesses saw Joiner standing near a white car parked on the edge of a work area, but nobody saw her get in the vehicle.

She has never been heard from again.

Joiner moved to Florida from Michigan a few months before her disappearance. She has six siblings.

A suspect (Gerald Stano) confessed to her murder and described the location of the remains, but a search could not locate her. The suspect recanted the confession but knew details only the killer would know.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
813-247-8000

Agency Case Number: 72M00001

Source Information

Florida Department of Law Enforcement
The Doe Network: Case File 2190DFFL

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2190dffl.html

Members online

Online statistics