GUILTY FL - Gannon Werking, 5 mos, dies in hot car, Vero Beach, 23 July 2009

Although I have sympathy for this families pain and grief, I think LE did the right thing by charging her with manslaughter.

The baby died as a result of her actions that day. What was LE supposed to do? Even if she accidentally left him in the car, it caused his death.

Let's say someone is driving a car and "accidentally" goes thru a red light or a stop sign. If they strike another vehicle and an occupant is killed, they are responsible for that death, whether or not they say they forgot to look at the light/stop sign/texting/cell phone.

It's all very tragic, but it happens.

Has the other case that was mentioned in the article been tried (same county, same charge)? I was wondering what the sentence was in that case?

I'm always sorry for the loss of a child. It's a life cut short, all that potential is gone.

While I do find the call for compassion by the Mother's defense attorney :)wink:) a legitimate request given that this baby died and more than likely died a very painful death ~ I have become so jaded that I can't help but see this as a preemptive stike by the defense to persuade the potential jury pool to have sympathy for the Mother.

That's why I asked what the outcome was for the other case of this that was mentioned in the article. (Just my big 'ol humble opinion)

Rest in Peace sweet angel.

I just do not understand forgeting your child in a car. I have three children. I have never ever forgot and left one of them in a car, house, store anything. they always rode in the back seat when they were in carseats and were never left in the car. I just do not understand it? I cannot understand how anyone can be busy enough to forget their child in a car.
I feel sorry for people when I hear about this happening and I see that they are devastated over losing their child. But I have to ask.. how does this happen? I have two children and they used to ride in car seats in the backseat of my car and I drove them to day care and everywhere, and I've never forgotten them. As soon I as I parked my car and opened my door, I was opening the back door and getting them out, even if they were asleep. I feel so sorry for these people, but I'm not understanding how it happens.

I don't understand it either. How do you forget your child? I was a very busy mom, but I always knew my kids were inside the car with me! I talked to my children, sang to/with them, told them stories, and interacted with them as I was driving. What it tells me is that parents today don't do this anymore. Are they on their cell phones? Have their I-Pods in? Music too loud? They are missing wonderful opportunities daily to spend some quality time with their children and also to alleviate the possibility their child will die in a hot car.

It is very sad these parents lost their child and I do feel sorry for them as I would not wish it on my worst enemy. However, they have to take the responsibility for their actions.

I am floored by the variations of those being charged and of the punishment across the country. It changes so dramatically from one case to the next. One mother/father may get sympathy from the SA while the next may spend time in jail with the other children removed from the home. It is time they establish something across the board to equalize this.

ITA. I was going to post exactly the same thing about talking to my child. That is what I did. I still do. Although now she wants the music!

There is no excuse. None whatsoever :(

Charging a parent with a crime, in these cases, is sort of aside the issue. It's not exactly a deterrent. What they DO charge, in whatever jurisdiction, is too little too late and not going to discourage someone from "forgetting".

I have no compassion for the parents. I can't imagine, and have never forgotten my child, so that's probably why.

It boils down to the child's safety being secondary, to *something* else. What else could it be? Their child DIED as a result of their stupidity. 8 hours worth of stupidity. No excuses, none at all :(

I might be the only one here but I do NOT feel sorry for her. She dropped off one child and the other was not. How could that happen???

These are my thoughts too. Employees at the day care would be wondering where the child was; why didn't the director of the daycare or whomever is responsible for monitoring and recording the centre's attendance verify the child's whereabouts with the family? I work as a school administrator and I would be calling a family member without doubt by 9 am. This tragedy could have been prevented if the incident was reported to the supervisor when the employees became aware that the child was absent and unaccounted for. If the centre staff had followed established procedures and responded to the matter in a reasonable amount of time, this tragic outcome like many others could have had been changed. My heart goes out to the mother and family members at this difficult time.

Yeah, you're right the day care employes would have wondered where he was, the reality is most day care centers don't have the resources to have someone place the calls. If day care centers could get parents to call if the child isn't going to be there, as part of the routine; the once in a great while child who is missed, the parents could be called.

But the reality is when Jr wakes up sick in the morning, the last thing a parent is thinking about is calling the daycare center to say Jr won't be there. They have to call their employer, call the doctor, still get the other kids out the door. The whole routine is shot. So then the day care center calls Jr's mom because he didn't show; they get her machine at the office, because she isn't there to turn it off, no answer at home, no answer on the cell phone because she turned it off at the doc's office. So they call dad at work, but he isn't there yet, he's dropping Sissy off at school, running her to her classroom. His cell phone is on the car charger just like every morning, so he missed the call too. Day care has now placed 5 calls for 1 child! How many kids are no shows that day?

Or maybe dad is out of town on business, Jr had been up half the night (he's teething) mom is exhausted and it's only 7:30. She took a different route this morning, to drop Sissy at school (a job that dad usually does) By the time she's on the road, (running late, again....) her mind is already going over the report that is due by 2:00 (no lunch today!) running up the stairs (no time for the elevator!) she tells her secretary to hold all calls, puts her cell phone on vibrate and gets started on that damn report.

Back up 5 minutes. Mom read a story about the agonizing death of a baby left in his car seat, after dad forgot to drop his baby off at day care and went to work for 8 hours. Ever since that day mom has put her purse on the floor in the back every time she puts Jr in the car seat. As she reaches for her purse she glances over and sees Jr peacefully sleeping. Her heart beats double time when she realizes how close she was to having a tragedy of her own...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6042618-7.html

With that in mind, the Baby Alert's Child Minder--one of many child-reminder technologies for cars--works by installing the "active buckle" to existing car seat straps and placing the receiver on a key ring. Should you leave the vehicle with the child still in the car seat and walk 20 feet or more away, the receiver alerts you by playing nursery rhymes, according to the product site. The buckle is deactivated when it is unfastened.
You can also order the Child Minder with an

We talked about these devices back in 2006 and I had never heard of them but here they are.
Why aren't they being massively advertised?

Because no one believes they would ever be the one to forget their baby in the car. Unless you've had a scare (and then probably would never forget again), no one wants to think that there is even the remotest possibility that they could do this. What mother or father would want to admit that they could forget their child in the car? They're afraid of what that would say about them as parents.

After being a lurker for years, I can't believe this is the post I will first respond to.

I feel only compassion and sorrow for this family, especially the mom. Honestly, what can the justice system do to her that would be worse than what she will do to herself for the rest of her life. At some point her mind will allow her to think about the suffering her child endured and she will have to live with that.

I have small kids and understand how hectic things can be in the morning. I have NEVER had a close call like this, but I can see how it could happen. For example, the freeway near my house has been under construction for a couple of weeks and I've been taking side roads to work to avoid the hour delay. The other morning I got in my car, on autopilot, and totally forgot to go the back way and ended up at the freeway. I was so used to my normal schedule. I truly think that is what can happen in these cases.

I can't ever imagine doing something that led to my child's death. It's heartbreaking.

After being a lurker for years, I can't believe this is the post I will first respond to.

I feel only compassion and sorrow for this family, especially the mom. Honestly, what can the justice system do to her that would be worse than what she will do to herself for the rest of her life. At some point her mind will allow her to think about the suffering her child endured and she will have to live with that.

I have small kids and understand how hectic things can be in the morning. I have NEVER had a close call like this, but I can see how it could happen. For example, the freeway near my house has been under construction for a couple of weeks and I've been taking side roads to work to avoid the hour delay. The other morning I got in my car, on autopilot, and totally forgot to go the back way and ended up at the freeway. I was so used to my normal schedule. I truly think that is what can happen in these cases.

I can't ever imagine doing something that led to my child's death. It's heartbreaking.

Welcome Brown Rice.

You're right, her mind will punish her worse than anything our justice system can do. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Funny what hits a cord and brings us out of lurkerdom, we've all been there.... Now that you've made the leap, hope you'll be back!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most daycares are paid wether the child is there or not. So why would they call if a child was not there? I sure wish they did call, but they are a business and it boils down to the all mighty dollar not the child. If my kids are absent from school they are calling by noon to see why they are not there.JMO

The first time I read about these a couple years ago, I thought of something 'No-Tech'. A lg red plastic link you attach to your key ring when you put the child in the car seat. Then back onto the seat when you take the baby out.

No battery, no on off switch. The car seat manufacturers could make them for an additional penny or two and include them in with the car seat.

Something needs to be done, with the attention this gets every time it happens; it still seems to be happening more and more.

My heart goes out to anyone who loses a child, but a bigger part of my heart goes to the child who died an agonizing death.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think it is a great idea, but if they can't be bothered to remember their child is in the car...would they be the type of people to take a few seconds to put a red link on their keychain?

Maybe the alarm transmitter should be in the locking mechanism of the baby's car seat and the receiver embedded in the actual car key. When the car is turned off...the alarm automatically buzzes the key then blares after a minute or so. To disarm it, simply unlock the car seat. The alarms should be universal on all vehicles as standard gear and should interact with every seat in every car. I guess this would only happen in a perfect world. (sigh)

Welcome to WS, BrownRice! :) I am so glad you posted. I agree with everything you wrote. I hope to hear more from you.

Welcome, Brown Rice (although you are not "new") =D Thanks for posting...and keep 'em coming! =)

I have yet to read about a device that I think would help. Some of that is, as other posters have pointed out, the fact that most parents wouldn't purchase something like that because you never think you could forget your child.

But also, when folks forget a child is in the car, they are in a kind of dissociative mental state and they are checked out and on automatic pilot. I can't think of anything that will truly startle them into remembrance.

For example, one of the saddest of these types of cases that I ever read involved a father of 4 - professional, involved in the community, by all accounts just a great loving Dad. In any event, he left his infant in his car and went into his office. His car alarm kept going off (probably the struggling infant setting it off) and he would just take his keys and stop it. He figured it was just an alarm issue (I have the same reaction to auto alarms - they go off so much they are meaningless background noise to me) and it never caused him to think his child was in the car.

IMHO, two of the reasons these types of incidents seem to occur more than they used to is the moving of baby seats to the back seat and the fact that many more babies now go outside the home to be cared for.

As I have said before, I do understand how this could happen to a loving parent, I place no blame on the parents and my heart breaks for them. I think charging them is unduly cruel and I am glad that, for the most part, the Courts seem to be lenient with parents in cases like this.

This is certainly tragic, but I don't know if I can say I feel sorry for the mother. Heck, there are times when my 4 y/o is not with me and I still start to open the back door to get him out. I understand accidents happen, but we're talking an entire 8 hours she left him in the car without realizing!

As far as the daycare calling, my son's daycare doesn't. It's their policy that the parent is supposed to call in, but there have been times I haven't and they don't call. It's a daycare with young children. I'm sure there are many kids who don't go every day. My two older kids school calls me if I don't, but I think daycares are used to kids missing days here and there. This should not be put on them.

The way I look at this accident, parents are supposed to protect their children. If they don't, they should be held responsible. If I accidentally left a gun out and one of my kids shot the other, would you say "oops, it was an accident". If I forgot to buckle my kids seat belt and they died in a car crash, would it be "oops, it was an accident"?

There's a big difference between a tragic accident and child endangerment.

There is no excuse. None whatsoever :(

Charging a parent with a crime, in these cases, is sort of aside the issue. It's not exactly a deterrent. What they DO charge, in whatever jurisdiction, is too little too late and not going to discourage someone from "forgetting".

I have no compassion for the parents. I can't imagine, and have never forgotten my child, so that's probably why.

It boils down to the child's safety being secondary, to *something* else. What else could it be? Their child DIED as a result of their stupidity. 8 hours worth of stupidity. No excuses, none at all :(
No there is no excuse for it. Being that absentminded when you are entrusted with the care of a child means you are negligent. Outside of one case that I can recall, the parent who left the child in the car is the same one who put that child in the car. The child is at the mercy of that parent and if the parent fails...the consequence is the child dies a horrible death. This goes beyond a mistake or an accident.

I have yet to read about a device that I think would help. Some of that is, as other posters have pointed out, the fact that most parents wouldn't purchase something like that because you never think you could forget your child.

But also, when folks forget a child is in the car, they are in a kind of dissociative mental state and they are checked out and on automatic pilot. I can't think of anything that will truly startle them into remembrance.

For example, one of the saddest of these types of cases that I ever read involved a father of 4 - professional, involved in the community, by all accounts just a great loving Dad. In any event, he left his infant in his car and went into his office. His car alarm kept going off (probably the struggling infant setting it off) and he would just take his keys and stop it. He figured it was just an alarm issue (I have the same reaction to auto alarms - they go off so much they are meaningless background noise to me) and it never caused him to think his child was in the car.

IMHO, two of the reasons these types of incidents seem to occur more than they used to is the moving of baby seats to the back seat and the fact that many more babies now go outside the home to be cared for.

As I have said before, I do understand how this could happen to a loving parent, I place no blame on the parents and my heart breaks for them. I think charging them is unduly cruel and I am glad that, for the most part, the Courts seem to be lenient with parents in cases like this.
That is why I don't think it should be an item for purchase. It should be included on the car seats and something for the parent to make them aware by a warning or alarm. How about a device in the locking system that sends the parent a text message or calls their cell phone? I bet they would remember to answer those! GRRRR! :mad:

I don't understand how anyone could forget their child in a car either, but I believe the act was unintentional. I cannot imagine the horror that Mother felt when she realized what she did, nor the guilt she will feel for the rest of her life, outside of whatever legal consequences she will face. Very sad for the whole family.

I just never understand these stories and i probaly never will

when my son started pre k. i say everytime i got out of the car when he was in prek I would open the door to get him out and i would not even have him
I really thought i was losing my mind for a wile but its a habit and i think its a good habit

the first time i did it my heart stopped becouse I just didnt understand why he was not in the car seat but he was in school. i know im crazy

why cant everybody be like me

That is why I don't think it should be an item for purchase. It should be included on the car seats and something for the parent to make them aware by a warning or alarm. How about a device in the locking system that sends the parent a text message or calls their cell phone? I bet they would remember to answer those! GRRRR! :mad:

heck tie there purse and cellphone and keys to the car seat everytime they get in the car. i have always heard if you do something 28 times everyday in a row it becomes a habit
just have a one key on the car ring,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back