GUILTY FL - Gannon Werking, 5 mos, dies in hot car, Vero Beach, 23 July 2009

It is so sad.

While I do understand how it can happen, I don't think there should be no punishment just because it is devastating. In that case, there would be no punishment for a lot of crimes!

This is certainly tragic, but I don't know if I can say I feel sorry for the mother. Heck, there are times when my 4 y/o is not with me and I still start to open the back door to get him out. I understand accidents happen, but we're talking an entire 8 hours she left him in the car without realizing!

As far as the daycare calling, my son's daycare doesn't. It's their policy that the parent is supposed to call in, but there have been times I haven't and they don't call. It's a daycare with young children. I'm sure there are many kids who don't go every day. My two older kids school calls me if I don't, but I think daycares are used to kids missing days here and there. This should not be put on them.

The way I look at this accident, parents are supposed to protect their children. If they don't, they should be held responsible. If I accidentally left a gun out and one of my kids shot the other, would you say "oops, it was an accident". If I forgot to buckle my kids seat belt and they died in a car crash, would it be "oops, it was an accident"?

There's a big difference between a tragic accident and child endangerment.

Yes, I would. Actually, that's the very definition of accident - a mishap that no one means to happen.

I :rolleyes: when I see people discuss this case and put the word "forgot" in quotations - this implies to me that some people really don't think that the mother in this case forgot - that instead, she was just too stupid or lazy or sociopathic to take her child out of the vehicle.

There are, of course, cases where parents consciously leave a child in a car (for various reasons) with an equally tragic outcome. And then there are cases like this.

That is why I don't think it should be an item for purchase. It should be included on the car seats and something for the parent to make them aware by a warning or alarm. How about a device in the locking system that sends the parent a text message or calls their cell phone? I bet they would remember to answer those! GRRRR! :mad:

That's not a bad idea, SS. Unfortunately, it wouldn't help someone like me as I am constantly misplacing my cell phone, not hearing it ring or buzz - just generally fairly disconnected from it. But it might help in some cases - several of the solution thoughts I have read might help in some cases, but I can't think of one that would be helpful across the board.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back