FL- Girl 12, found dead at abandoned cement plant

This one is going really strange...earlier this morning this story was posted and has since been taken down.

SHOCKING: Bullies target friend of girl who committed suicide, create page 'Brianna's next' http://www.wfla.com/story/23491060/online-bullies-target … pic.twitter.com/7XkvDrfjnR

Just recently today

Lakeland teen arrested over cyberbullying hoax
Posted: Sep 21, 2013 10:33 AM EDT
Updated: Sep 21, 2013 11:10 AM EDT

LAKELAND, FL -
A Lakeland girl who claimed someone was threatening her on Facebook admits it was all a hoax.

12 year old Brianna Earls was a friend of Rebecca Sedwick, the girl who killed herself after being tormented by cyber bullies.

Yesterday Brianna and her mother went to police when a Facebook page appeared saying 'Brianna is next'.

Polk sheriff's investigators asked her to come back to the sheriff's office last night. After questioning Brianna again, they explained to her mother that the page had been created from their home, and arrested Brianna.

Brianna soon admitted she created the threat after her family was asleep. She explained she did it to make the other girls pay for what they had done to Rebecca Sedwick.

http://www.wfla.com/story/23492252/facebook-bully-is-a-hoax

This one is going really strange...earlier this morning this story was posted and has since been taken down.

SHOCKING: Bullies target friend of girl who committed suicide, create page 'Brianna's next' http://www.wfla.com/story/23491060/online-bullies-target … pic.twitter.com/7XkvDrfjnR

Just recently today

LAKELAND, FL -
A Lakeland girl who claimed someone was threatening her on Facebook admits it was all a hoax.

12 year old Brianna Earls was a friend of Rebecca Sedwick, the girl who killed herself after being tormented by cyber bullies.

Yesterday Brianna and her mother went to police when a Facebook page appeared saying 'Brianna is next'.

Polk sheriff's investigators asked her to come back to the sheriff's office last night. After questioning Brianna again, they explained to her mother that the page had been created from their home, and arrested Brianna.

Brianna soon admitted she created the threat after her family was asleep. She explained she did it to make the other girls pay for what they had done to Rebecca Sedwick.

This is extremely immature logic. I don't understand how she thought it would make the other girls pay, unless she believed people would think the girls created it- but she was easily exposed, and now she is in trouble. Just sad and takes away from her friend's death...

Just recently today

LAKELAND, FL -

Strange turn of events. Sickening.

This is extremely immature logic. I don't understand how she thought it would make the other girls pay, unless she believed people would think the girls created it- but she was easily exposed, and now she is in trouble. Just sad and takes away from her friend's death...
Okay, I just noticed that it was Facebook. 12-year-olds aren't even supposed to be on Facebook! The rules state 13 & above.

Just recently today

LAKELAND, FL -

"Never in a million years would we have suspected that. We are disappointed and embarrassed and prepared to make Brianna face the consequences for lying to law enforcement," said Brianna's mother, Darlene Earls.

^^^this is the kind of response I like to hear.

And the kicker to all of this is that Brianna is almost certainly going to get bullied over this now.

And the kicker to all of this is that Brianna is almost certainly going to get bullied over this now.

I think it might more correctly be called "feedback" rather than "bullying". A negative social reaction to someone's terrible choice of behavior is not a bad thing.

Creating fake threats against yourself to get attention is something that young women often do, and I'm not at all opposed to the public reacting very negatively when they do that.

It takes away from people who ARE truly assaulted, or verbally threatened, stalked, etc., when girls who are off-track create an illusion that they are a victim.

I think it might more correctly be called "feedback" rather than "bullying". A negative social reaction to someone's terrible choice of behavior is not a bad thing.

Creating fake threats against yourself to get attention is something that young women often do, and I'm not at all opposed to the public reacting very negatively when they do that.

It takes away from people who ARE truly assaulted, or verbally threatened, stalked, etc., when girls who are off-track create an illusion that they are a victim.

Ok, but in this situation the "public/society" is pre-adolescent girls whose judgement is no better than the girl with the fake FB, and girls who have already bullied one girl to death at that. In other words, she will almost certainly be the victim of actual bullying now, in addition to whatever legal price she pays. Not my idea of justice, but I also don't embrace the idea that bullying is really just some "survival of the fittest" competition.

JeannaT, if I understand you correctly, you think the sole difference between bullying and "feedback" in some cases is that in the latter the target of the "reaction" did something wrong.

Your view seems to be the view of many, perhaps most, Americans.

What I wonder is how do you expect children to know when "negative social reaction" is deserved and how do you expect them to know when such reaction becomes bullying -- or does it ever --- when they adopt this kind of thinking about bullying.

Does it occur to you that in the majority of juvenile bullying cases there is a very strong feeling among the kids that the bullied child did something wrong and deserves the "negative social reaction"?

I also wonder what kind of "negative social reaction" is desirable in the case of Brianna. This is a preteen girl who was just unimaginably humiliated on the TV and the Internet, was made to publicly apologize, and was labeled by her own parents as someone mentally disturbed.

What should the "negative social reaction" be in Brianna's case? And what do you think it will accomplish? What is it that Brianna has not learned yet from the immediate outcome of her mistake that she will learn from the subsequent negative social reaction?

* slowly backs out of the thread

Girls, 12 and 14, arrested in death of bullied Florida girl, police say

suicide.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/1...ted-in-death-bullied-florida-girl-police-say/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/1...ted-in-death-bullied-florida-girl-police-say/

After the suicide, police looked at the girl's computer and found search queries for topics including "what is overweight for a 13-year-old girl," "how to get blades out of razors" and "how many over-the-counter drugs do you take to die." One of her screensavers also showed Rebecca with her head resting on a railroad track.

Thanks for the link to the Sheriff's office web page. I was just saying to myself that I would love to see pictures of the two bully's and viola. My suspicions are right on. jmo

I drive by that Cemex plant every day on my way to work, how devestating that it got that far :(

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

Re, the perps: Shaw looks pretty neutral; Roman looks like she hasn't been sleeping. Shaw is supposed to have been the ringleader.

I drive by that Cemex plant every day on my way to work, how devestating that it got that far :(

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

I was a tormented child. I have thick skin and like to act as if I didn't hear or didn't understand the tease (torment). It breaks my heart that some young ones just can't take it. I feel so sorry for her Mom and family.

After the suicide, police looked at the girl's computer and found search queries for topics including "what is overweight for a 13-year-old girl," "how to get blades out of razors" and "how many over-the-counter drugs do you take to die." One of her screensavers also showed Rebecca with her head resting on a railroad track.

Also from the link above.

A man who answered the phone at the 14-year-old's Lakeland home identified himself as her father. He told The Associated Press that his daughter was "a good girl" and he was "100 percent sure that whatever they're saying about my daughter is not true."

I have heard that many times from the perp's parents. I seem to remember that from the parents of killers like Casey Anthony, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, or 9/11 Hijackers.

Re, the perps: Shaw looks pretty neutral; Roman looks like she hasn't been sleeping. Shaw is supposed to have been the ringleader.

I would be interested in what kind of family life they had. Were the parents extremely permissive or strict?

From that same article:

Tuesday morning and said authorities acted fast because even though the accused girls' parents were contacted by police about Sedwick's death, the parents did not cooperate with police and the girls were still able to use their social media accounts.

"The parents were not doing what parents are supposed to do," Judd said. "My goodness, wake up, girl."
He said police moved in and made the arrests because it was unclear if the girls would pick a new victim

Good Lord, these parents hopefully got a huge wake-up call with the arrests. :banghead::banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back