FL FL - Kingfish Boat Ramp Murders, Holmes Beach, 1 Aug 1980

The website says they opened in 1978.

Maybe he worked there??
I don't know, I looked at tennis fashions of the 80's, many were simular but not exact. The diagonal line through the shirt or "v"-like shape seemed to be popular then.

I emailed itcouldhappen this evening and asked him if he knows if James Burnside was ever considered a suspect. I will let ya'll know when I hear back.

I am wondering if the perp was wearing a tennis shirt or if it was just a tennis style shirt.

The "I just got off the tennis court though I don't know which end of the racket to hold" look was fairly popular in the late 70's-early 80s. Complete with head bands, wrist bands... Guys wanted to be John McEnroe I guess.

I am wondering if the perp was wearing a tennis shirt or if it was just a tennis style shirt.

I'm leaning more towards the "style".
It seems like I remember this style, especially in men's shirts.

Can't find a lot of info on this Burnside character before the murder of his wife (other than mentions of prior convictions in the 50s and his escape attempts). When he showed up in federal court in Alabama on the weapons charges stemming from his wife's death, he had a plastic handcuff key, a razor blade, and a pen stuffed with pepper (its assumed this was for blowing in the face of a guard to aid his escape).
Prior planning, such as the fake injured ankle, certainly seems to be this guy's forte.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AIBAJ&pg=2697,2384072&dq=james-burnside&hl=en

A repeated theme in news reports of the murders is the differing descriptions of the assailant (this is mentioned directly as an issue for law enforcement in several articles, such as the one linked below).
Could he have been wearing a disguise?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAAAIBAJ&pg=6558,7178351&dq=juan+dumois&hl=en

Not sure.

Something that crossed my mind however was the guy that got shot in the grocery store parkinglot. I wonder if the victim recognized him.

More thoughts swimming through my head... Annette worked at Conley Buick (which is still in existence today, by the way). The 'getaway' car was described as a tan over dark brown Chrysler. Chryslers and Buicks of the late 70's/early 80s, at least the larger models, were similar in style and appearance. I wonder if there is link between Burnside and the car dealership beside Annette...

Article describing the auto: http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4287,171803&dq=juan+dumois&hl=en

And a pic of a typical late 70's American land yacht, in the described tan over brown color scheme:

3342_540_pict0091.jpg

...And one more bit of speculation for the night. Climbing out of the box a bit--The article linked below quotes one of Dumois' colleagues as stating that he couldn't understand why Dumois would pick up the hitchhiker. He states that Dumois was a conservative man and would hesitate to pick someone up, fearing harm would come to his family. However, other co-workers remarked on Dumois' compassion. What if...Instead of the assailant asking for a ride due to an injured ankle, in actuality Dumois had struck him with his vehicle? Dumois may have then offered the man a ride, but he (the killer) was so angered by the incident that he tried to murder the entire family. I can only assume the story of how the man came to be in the car came from the survivor, and I cant speculate as to why he would tell the story he did...But it's a possible scenario to ponder.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4833,981600&dq=juan+dumois&hl=en

More thoughts swimming through my head... Annette worked at Conley Buick (which is still in existence today, by the way). The 'getaway' car was described as a tan over dark brown Chrysler. Chryslers and Buicks of the late 70's/early 80s, at least the larger models, were similar in style and appearance. I wonder if there is link between Burnside and the car dealership beside Annette...

Article describing the auto: http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4287,171803&dq=juan+dumois&hl=en

And a pic of a typical late 70's American land yacht, in the described tan over brown color scheme:

3342_540_pict0091.jpg

She started working there after she got married which was 1981. In the video he was driving a van but I wonder what type of car he had prior to that.

Well, if he bought a car or two there, and was familiar or even friendly with the staff...Might have helped her get the job.

More wild speculation, but that's why I love it here. :)

Wow, this thread is on fire after lying dormant for a while. Keep the ideas flowing, folks. I'm not really sold on Burnside, but he's worth a look.

I received an email back from itcouldhappen. He said that he is not sure if Burnside was looked at but he said to keep looking at the dog track vengence angle, not necessarily drugs or mob.

I received an email back from itcouldhappen. He said that he is not sure if Burnside was looked at but he said to keep looking at the dog track vengence angle, not necessarily drugs or mob.

Does he have any interest in posting on here again?

I don't know if one of you in Florida wants to call Detective Nancy Rogers, but I'm sure she'd be helpful and interested in the continued discussion.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonsuli
Back