Resolved FL - Palm Beach Co, WhtFem, UP16715, 22-44, in wooded area, two diamond rings, Dec'82 - namus removed

I wonder if they contacted Benrus watches to see if this watch was registered.

Palm Beach Post, 20 December 1982, C2.
clip_115319207.jpg

Alan Bavley, "Body found off Okeechobee Road," South Florida Sun Sentinel [Fort Lauderdale, FL], 20 December 1982, 9B.
Body found off Okeechobee Road_.jpg

Joanne Fanizza, "Woman discovered dead Sunday was shot," South Florida Sun Sentinel [Fort Lauderdale, FL], 21 December 1982, 7B.
Woman discovered dead Sunday was shot_.jpg
The woman had extensive upper and lower dental work, and police have made her dental charts available.

[...]

She was discovered about 1 p.m. Sunday by a real estate agent who had been checking the area, police said.

The agent spotted the victim's body, which apparently had been pulled out from a more dense area, possibly by an animal, police.

Edgar Sanchez, "Woman Believed Murdered: Body Found in Woods Had Gunshot Wound," Palm Beach Post, 21 December 1982, C1.
Woman Believed Murdered_.jpg
A middle-age woman whose decomposed body was found Sunday in a wooded area in suburban West Palm Beach died of a single gunshot wound to the head, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County Medical Examiner's Office said yesterday.

[...]

"I found evidence of a gunshot would behind the left ear, probably from a handgun larger than a .22," Hobin said.

"The nature of the wound leads me to believe it was not a suicide." He said the victim might have been dead since September.

The body, found near Okeechobee Boulevard and F Road, had been partly eaten by animals, Hobin said.

The skeleton was clothed in jeans. It also wore a necklace, a heart-shaped charm and two rings, one of which was appraised at $700 by a jeweler yesterday.

"To the eye, the appearance of the hair is brown, but this could be misleading because the color could have changed since the woman died," Hobin said.

[...]

The body was found by a real estate agent who was surveying the property early Sunday.

Edgar Sanchez, "Victim's Jewelry May Help Officials Determine Identity," Palm Beach Post, 22 December 1982, C2.
Victim's Jewelry May Help Officials Determine Identity_.jpg
In addition to the anchor, the necklace has a small key to a No. 7 Master padlock. The key has the number P216.

There is a comment reply in the Facebook group about this case under Palm Beach County Cold Cases. The daughter identified her mother as the victim. I have not named her because there is no official story from the police I have found. But she has confirmed in the comments and on her FB page.

Height says 63. Those are some LOOOOOONG pants for someone who’s only 5’3” or 63 inches. Maybe they meant 6’3” that’s highly unlikely though. Could be she just had some really long legs. I’m 5’2” with a 31 inch inseam, trust me I know the struggle. If she is 5’3” that’s distinct, the long legs. If she’s 6’3” that’s also distinct because, well, how often do you see a 6’3” woman?!

There is a comment reply in the Facebook group about this case under Palm Beach County Cold Cases. The daughter identified her mother as the victim. I have not named her because there is no official story from the police I have found. But she has confirmed in the comments and on her FB page.
Has she reached out or considered reaching out to LE about this? Hoping her suspicions are confirmed and this woman gets to rest in peace.

Well, I’m a bit late, aren’t I? Waiting for an identification to be confirmed.
According to the reply she says she has called and it was confirmed to be her mom.I have not seen any statements or news articles confirming from the officials. Maybe due to this being a break in the case maybe they are waiting a little to not raise any suspicions until they know more from this new information.

According to the reply she says she has called and it was confirmed to be her mom.I have not seen any statements or news articles confirming from the officials. Maybe due to this being a break in the case maybe they are waiting a little to not raise any suspicions until they know more from this new information.
Ok, can they get DNA from the remains?

Based on the NamUs page being pulled down, I'd say they've likely confirmed JDs identity at this point. We are probably just waiting on an announcement now, if they give one.
Right. I was wondering just because of the user saying that the Jane Doe is her mom. That’s been confirmed according to users here. The surprise Namus removal always confuses me.

If you follow the daughters profile, she has many photos and the name of her mom posted. They made the match in November 2022. I guess the name is not yet officially released due to investigation work. She was gorgeous.

Anyhow, i was right. Someone terribly missed their mom. I am so glad the children got closure after 40 years. The daughter writes how 40 years ago she saw her moms ghost floating between heaven and earth, unable to find peace. Without the daughter knowing the mom was dead. I hope her murderer will be found and charged.

Gosh so sad -
From newspaper articles in 1982 she was missing, they had suspect but no body. There was a missing person and a body found same year, how was this not matched 40 years ago?
could you share the newspaper article here? I appreciate we can’t share the unconfirmed info from social media, but no reason the newspaper article couldn’t be shared as a possible match?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back