FL- Pro Gun Florida Woman shot in the back by 4 yr. old son

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see the grandmother expressing a single word of concern for the grandson who could be dead now because of her daughter's criminal irresponsibility and stupidity.

And why the heck wasn't the child strapped in a car seat?

BBM

This was my first question too. A properly restrained child car or booster seat (is 4 old enough for a booster?) should limit the childs reaching down ability to right up against or really close to the car or booster seat. That would make this gun right next to him or he wasn't restrained. Either way, child endangerment or similar should be charged against the mother. Not a victim my rear end.

Mar 22 2016, 6:53 pm ET

Authorities Want to Charge Mom Shot By Her 4-Year-Old Son

by The Associated Press

PALATKA, Fla. — The mother of a 4-year-old boy who shot her as they were riding in a pickup truck should face a misdemeanor charge, authorities said Tuesday as they released details of the shooting for the first time.

The mother, 31-year-old Jamie Gilt, put a loaded .45-caliber handgun underneath the front seat of her pickup on March 8 and the weapon slid into the back seat where her son Lane was riding in a child booster seat, Putnam County Sheriff's Capt. Gator DeLoach said.

The boy had recently learned how to unbuckle himself, got out of his seat and picked up the gun. He fired through the front seat, hitting his mother in the back. There was also a dinosaur toy on the floor near where the gun would have slid, according to a police report...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/authorities-want-charge-mom-shot-her-own-4-year-old-n543731

Mar 22 2016, 6:53 pm ET

Authorities Want to Charge Mom Shot By Her 4-Year-Old Son

by The Associated Press

PALATKA, Fla. — The mother of a 4-year-old boy who shot her as they were riding in a pickup truck should face a misdemeanor charge, authorities said Tuesday as they released details of the shooting for the first time.

The mother, 31-year-old Jamie Gilt, put a loaded .45-caliber handgun underneath the front seat of her pickup on March 8 and the weapon slid into the back seat where her son Lane was riding in a child booster seat, Putnam County Sheriff's Capt. Gator DeLoach said.

The boy had recently learned how to unbuckle himself, got out of his seat and picked up the gun. He fired through the front seat, hitting his mother in the back. There was also a dinosaur toy on the floor near where the gun would have slid, according to a police report...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/authorities-want-charge-mom-shot-her-own-4-year-old-n543731

From this article: The gun, which was not in a holster and didn't have the safety lock on,

Yeah that's gun sense!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Stupid cow.

I would hope that those people who claim to be responsible gun owners will disavow themselves of this "person".

Also, this child is being given tv watching as therapy after shooting his mother? "oh he's fine- he's watchin' them there cartoons!"

Oh. Well. Good, then. All fixed.

Stupid cow.

I would hope that those people who claim to be responsible gun owners will disavow themselves of this "person".

Also, this child is being given tv watching as therapy after shooting his mother? "oh he's fine- he's watchin' them there cartoons!"

Oh. Well. Good, then. All fixed.

Watch them be violent cartoons. He probably still doesn't understand that he shot his mother through the seat. He doesn't understand his actions. This kid will see nothing wrong with guns growing up, despite what happened. This was no "accident", this was an accident waiting to happen!

They say .45 caliber is supposed to be an effective man stopper...

...just not a mom stopper I guess.

Maybe she had kevlar seats. [emoji106]

She absolutely won't see one day of jail. She's "too pretty to go to jail."

I hope that's not the case nrdsb4 - although I can see where/how that might happen.

This mother is not getting smarter as she gracefully ages - at age 28-ish, this mom took her child on a theft spree for designer shorts (it can't be a pretty sight for a 1-2 year-old to see their parent arrested and at the same time they are carted off by someone till mommy gets home), then 3 years later at age 31-ish, this mom left an unsecured, loaded handgun under the front seat of her vehicle - leaving an open gate to her child getting their hands on it.

Pssst poster gal, unsecured items under a car seat slide back over time - or immediately.

Seriously concerned for this child - what careless/thoughtless thing will mom do next? Something needs to happen here. Jmo.

Florida gun enthusiast who was shot in the back by her four-year-old with a handgun she'd left in her truck WON'T be prosecuted

Gun advocate Jamie Gilt, 31 was shot in the back by her toddler March 8

She had left a gun under a car seat, which her son then grabbed

She will not face prosecution provided she meets certain conditions

They include making ten speeches about the need to secure firearms

Gilt was formerly active on social media, bragging about son's gun skills

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eft-truck-WON-T-prosecuted.html#ixzz47uYVBdVL

She got shot, I mean that's kind of karma right there.

10 speeches is an awesome sentence, though. Hopefully this sinks in with her and she takes safety a bit more seriously.

Prosecuting someone is not always about the someone involved - it's also suppose to be about deterring others from committing the same offence. No karma where the law is concerned - the law has not been applied.

Here is a link to another recent thread where 7 toddlers in the US have shot themselves or others between 20 April and 3 May 2016. 13 Days. The total number of fatalities involving toddlers for 2016 to date, at the time was 23 deaths. We're talking children up to the age of 3 in the US of A.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ddlers-have-shot-at-least-23-people-this-year

Not impressive for a civilized country imo - how many children died in war torn Syria, Afghanistan or Iraq in the same time frame? The original purpose of the US 'right to bear arms' came about in the days of the 'wild west'. How that applies today is lost - imo.

Canada is far from a super power - we have no right to bear arms and very few gun deaths. The guns deaths that do occur are from guns made in the US. We can fix this with a united effort. Jobs will be lost, money will not be made - but hey, is that a big deal in this regard?

When a child protective service worker went to interview Jamie Gilt’s young son about shooting his mother, they handed him a coloring book.

They talked about injuries. They talked about going to the doctor.

That’s when the 4-year-old began to spin the yarn about what happened on that day in March as Jamie Gilt drove along in Putnam County. He unbuckled his booster seat, hopped down on the floorboard, grabbed his mother’s pistol from under the front seat and shot her.

But the little boy’s story wasn’t so straightforward. He told the child protective worker that it was Tyrannosaurus Rex that shot Jamie Gilt and had help from a Velociraptor. He was adamant, according to a recently obtained case file on the shooting of Jamie Gilt, that he wasn’t in the truck with the dinosaurs and his mother, a run-rights advocate from Jacksonville, on that fateful day.

That day, March 8, would launch the 31-year-old from obscurity to infamy as people across the nation and around the world argued about gun restrictions and gun rights.

Six months after the shooting, Gilt can’t seem to escape the infamy. This week her name bubbled up again.

On Tuesday, Gilt announced on Facebook that she would like to be a gun-safety instructor.

“I have chosen to take this very negative and scary experience and make something positive out of it. I have gone through a lot of training since the accident, and am nowhere near finished. I realize that many of the classes offered are seriously lacking and I plan to do my best to improve that. I will be teaching classes as soon as I am ready, and I will continue to share my story in hopes that it will help just one person make a different decision or get a little more training,” Gilt wrote.

“I think the first thing you do is take down this site and stop associating your name with “Gun Sense.” Until then you deserve all the ridicule that the internet can deliver,” wrote a poster on Facebook.

On Wednesday, not long after a story about the post first appeared on jacksonville.com, the post had been taken down.

Gilt has tried in the past to erase activity on her Jamie Gilt for Gun Sense Facebook account even though some 85,000 people shared the story of the gun-loving mom being shot by her own son.

What’s left behind is this:

“My right to protect my child with my gun trumps your fear of my gun,” Gilt posted in February.

There was a comment she posted the day before the shooting, when she explained that all her children shoot and how her 4-year-old “gets jacked up to target shoot with the .22.”

The account was reactivated in late July, shortly after prosecutors decided she would no longer face jail time for failing to secure her gun from her child.

“If you’re testing the waters to see if its safe to start littering your hypocrisy all over social media again, I can tell you right now, the answer is no.”

Gilt responded that she wasn’t testing the waters and that if the poster didn’t agree with what she puts on her page, he should feel free to unfollow her or refrain from commenting.

The July poster responded this way: “No thanks. Somebody has to keep an eye on the children.”

Ridicule of Gilt has come from around the world.

“I presume you’re going to rename this page now? Jamie Gilt’s impractical gun keeping would be more apt. Whatever you do, lose the ’sense” bit as you clearly have none,” wrote another Facebook poster from the United Kingdom a day after Gilt was shot.
Jamie Gilt, gun advocate shot by her 4-year-old son, remains infamous six months later

@imstilla.grandma
Thank you :)for providing update, from 6mo after the Mar. 2016 shooting.

Hoping that, now 5 yrs later, Jamie Gilt's son has more common sense than she did then.

Any more shootings by members of their household? I did not search.

ETA: Just to clarify, as 4 y/o he was not to blame.

@imstilla.grandma
Thank you :)for providing update, from 6mo after the Mar. 2016 shooting.

Hoping that, now 5 yrs later, Jamie Gilt's son has more common sense than she did then.

Any more shootings by members of their household? I did not search.

ETA: Just to clarify, as 4 y/o he was not to blame.
We in other countries don't get this. I mean, we take scissors from 4year olds, not allow them to shoot deadly weapons.

We in other countries don't get this. I mean, we take scissors from 4year olds, not allow them to shoot deadly weapons.
@Gibbo214 Thanks for your post.
As a U.S.A. citizen and life long resident, I don't get it either.
A shooting like this is extremely disturbing, but I do not know how it can be prevented.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhysiare
Back