FL FL - Tiffany Sessions, 20, Gainesville, 9 Feb 1989

oh no.

reminds me of linda yalem up here in buffalo. i hope tiffany's fate was better though ... even though that's doubtful considering the fact that she's been missing for so long :(

(side note: linda yalem went out for a jog at University at Buffalo. she was raped and murdered by the notorious Bike Path Rapist, (or Altemio Sanchez) a serial rapist and murderer who was caught last year.)

yes, I remember. the store up the street had a missing flyer of her on the door, I remember thinking what a pretty smile, who could hurt her:mad:
I wish young women wouldnt go jogging alone, its just too dangerous. I remember when I was younger though, I never thought anything would happen to me. God bless Tiffany.

I remember her disappearance :( . I wondered if she had ever been found....guess not :(

New Development in Tiffany Sessions Missing Person Case

By Jackelyn Barnard
First Coast News

Tiffany's Story
Christmas 1988 was the last time Tiffany Sessions would be home for the holidays. Six weeks later, she would just vanish into thin air.

The day was February 9, 1989. Her mom, Hilary, remembers it well. "Tiffany went out about four o'clock in the afternoon."

The University of Florida Junior left her apartment at Casablanca in Gainesville for some exercise. She went for a walk. An hour passed, then two hours, three hours. Five hours later, Tiffany's roommate made a phone call.

"About nine o'clock, Kathy called. It was her tone of voice, I immediately knew we had a problem," says Hilary Sessions.

Sessions says her daughter never came home. There was no sign of a struggle, no sign Tiffany even made it out of her apartment complex parking lot.

For days, crews searched the area looking for any clues. "Nothing -- no clothes, no walkman, no batteries, no shoes, no Rolex, no clothes -- nothing. It was like aliens came down and picked her up," says Sessions.

Eighteen years later, more than 2000 leads into Tiffany's disappearance have been investigated.

There have been possible sightings. The last one came in December 2006. Tiffany was believed to be a care giver at an elderly center in Hawaii. That lead and the thousands of others have been a dead end.

The lead investigator on the case, Agent Larry Ruby, of FDLE, says there is a new hope from a new lead.

"I've always told people when we solve Tiffany's case, it will be the last day I work," says Ruby.

Ruby has been assigned to Tiffany's case for the last 15 years. Ruby says a month ago, a new lead came in to his office. He says it actually surfaced back in 1996, but this time he says there is promising information. "It's nice to chase somebody instead of a ghost," says Ruby.

Ruby says the person he is investigating lives on the First Coast. He lived in Gainesville at the time Tiffany disappeared and he was also a long time student of UF.

"He's got kind of a violent history and he's just a person that could commit a crime like this and let it roll of his shoulders and never look back," says Ruby.

Ruby says the man had a job back in February 1989 that would allow him to go to apartment complexes as a delivery man. Ruby says right now, he has not found evidence that the man knew Tiffany.

"We don't have anything that connects them together other than we've gotten information that he liked to cruise the campus and kind of check out the girls on campus," says Ruby.

Ruby says he's not been able to rule out another man as a potential suspect either. Michael Knickerbocker, 41, is serving six consecutive life sentences for rapes in Gainesville and the 1989 rape and murder of a 12 year old girl in Starke.

"We haven't been able to associate him (Knickerbocker) to this crime and part of the reason is that we have no crime, no crime scene, no way we don't really know what happened," says Ruby.

No crime scene and no evidence means no DNA. "Rollercoaster... The worst rollercoaster I have ever been on. One day you're up, the next day you're down in deep depression. It's a fast ride it's a slow ride," says Sessions.

In the last 18 years, Hilary Sessions has looked at more than 170 dead bodies with the hope that one was Tiffany.

218 months have passed since she last saw her daughter. Still, Hilary holds out hope that her only child is still alive. "I can't give up that hope. There are days when I wish that it was over, one way or the other....either let me grieve or let me be happy, but this in-between is really difficult to deal with."

Sessions says tips called in over her daughter's disappearance have actually helped solve other murders. While frustrating, she is glad her daughter's case has brought closure to other families.

"I'm here on earth to learn two lessons and it took me a very long time to figure it out. The first one is I have to learn patience. Well, 18 years you can say well, my patience has run out, but I'm very patient. The second one is to educate. So, between both of those I'm learning my lesson."

Saving Other Kids
These days, Hilary spends all of her time focused on saving other kids. She is the director of the Child Protection Education of America. It is the second largest missing children's organization in the country.

The group fingerprints kids, distributes photographs of missing children and is also there to help support the family. "We recognize their birthdays and you can't believe the heartfelt thanks that we get from their parents. We have one child that has been missing 30 years and the mom says you still remember my child and that makes us feel so good that we can bring a ray of sunshine to the mom."

Sessions has taken her message to national magazines and even on the road to make sure her story hits home. It's a story she never thought she'd have to tell. Sessions and her team help to train kids how to protect themselves if someone ever tries to abduct them.

The children are actually put into a scenario where a retired police officer tries to grab them. The kids have to try to get away.

Samantha Jackson, 10, of Citrus County just finished taking one of the classes. "I thought he was really going to take me. I did stomping on the foot, hammer to the nose, pepper to the eyes, I think that's all I did."

Her mother sat by watching and got a little emotional seeing her daughter struggle to get away from her attacker. While it was hard to watch, Samantha's mom says her daughter is more prepared because of the class. "I think she's safe now...kids aren't safe today. They're not safe without the knowledge they need the knowledge."

Sessions agrees and that is why she spends all of her time preparing kids and their parents for the possibility of what happened to her could happen to them.

"I look at parents sometimes and I just want to shake them and I just want to say don't you understand what you have there. It is the most precious, the most precious gift that God can ever give you. One of the things that I want to do is make sure that every child is prepared, every family is prepared, just in case this should happen, because I always thought it was going to happen to someone else."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/n...s&storyid=81135

http://www.wcjb.com/news.asp?id=14590

On The Eve Of Disappearance Anniversary, A Look At Unsolved Cold Cases
2/8/2007

By Stacey Samuel, WCJB TV20 News

We see them on television, criminal investigations, and they're usually solved in the course of an hour. But many real life cases continue to mystify. February 9th, marks eighteen years since the disappearance of Tiffany L. Sessions, a University of Florida student who left her home in southwest Gainesville one evening and vanished.

Law enforcement says it's a delicate balance they must strike with every case, between efficiency, due process and patience. Even when no expense is spared, as in Session's case, crime investigations can't always close the book on open cases.

The 1989 search for Session spread far and wide for many months, foul play has always been suspected but no leads ever turned up. According to then Lieutenant of Alachua County Sheriff's office, Spencer Mann, says her disappearance was suspicious, "...credit cards that sort of thing certainly hasn't shown up anywhere," he said then.

He adds that there were thousands of leads and hundreds of people involved in the investigation. But the question begged is, with more resources than lesser known cases, how does a case like this go unsolved?

University of Florida professor emeritis in Sociology, with a specialty in crime, Dr. Fred Shenkman says the public's expectations are often too high and police resources too slim. According to Shenkman, "forensics have come a long way and that's gotten a lot of high profile coverage on television and people expect to find some DNA or some evidence." In reality only 20 percent of index crimes get solved. This type of crime that are officially included in crime rate statistics include murder, arson, rape and larceny. So when tiffany sessions left her home here at Casablanca East and never returned, her disappearance was never officially categorized as a crime, leaving law enforcement that much more dependent on the community for clues.

"The police could work more quickly but whether or not that crime would ultimately be proved beyond a reasonable doubt in court of law is something different that the police just knowing in their gut who committed that crime," adds Shenkman. He adds a large percentage of crimes are solved because someone tells the police.

That however hasn't been the case for the family of Tiffany Session. Mann says,"as I continue to say to many victim's families of crime of homicides and other disappearances is keep the hope, we never give up." Her case remains in the hands of the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/N...mp;pageId=3.2.1

Decades bring no answers in woman's disappearance

Last Edited: Friday, 09 Feb 2007, 5:51 PM EST
Created: Friday, 09 Feb 2007, 5:48 PM EST

18 years after her disappearance, Tiffany Sessions' mother holds out hope for answers. We've got you covered

BRANDON - Not much has changed in 18 years inside Tiffany Sessions' bedroom.

Photos from Tiffany's senior prom still hang on the wall.

Her favorite stuffed animal lies on her bed.

Her mother Hilary says it's her sanctuary.

Hilary has spent nearly two decades looking for any shred of evidence to tell her what happened to Tiffany.

She keeps a brave face, but on this day, the anniversary of her disappearance, it's tough.

"A little sad, it's been hard to get through today, because it was 18 years ago that Tiffy went out for a jog, and hasn't been seen," Hilary Sessions said.

Hilary spends her days thinking of her only child.

But she is also a crusader to find other missing children.

Three years ago, she became the executive director of Child Protection Education of America.

"When I come to work everyday here, I know that we're making a difference in people's lives," she said.

She works alongside other women who have a relative missing.

This summer, she'll head up a program for young children, teaching them how to fight back against an abductor.

Hilary is now writing a book about Tiffany's disappearance. In a few months, she'll be going back to Gainesville to search another area. She says she has information from three different psychics.

Hilary doesn't think Tiffany is still alive.

But she says there's a chance.

Even if she's no, Hilary just wants to know who took her, and why.

"Initially my thought was a stranger came along. But because of the length of time, my thought is it was either someone she knew peripherally, or someone who knew of her," Sessions said.

Hilary never thought this much time would go by with no answers.

She says in her field, they bring back a lot of children.

But she knows sometimes, they just can't.

The night she disappeared, Tiffany had on a Rolex watch.

Rolex has put a red flag on the serial number of that watch.

But they say no one has ever tried to sell or pawn it, anywhere in the world.

Old sweat shirt tested for link to student missing since '89
©Associated Press
August 31, 2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The FBI is running tests on a sweat shirt unearthed near Gainesville two years ago to see if it belonged to missing University of Florida student Tiffany Sessions, her mother said.

Hilary Sessions said she doesn't know why it took so long.

Tiffany Sessions disappeared Feb. 9, 1989, after leaving her apartment for an evening walk along a jogging path. She was 20.

Two years ago, a prison inmate, reportedly dying, told authorities where to find a bloody sweat shirt that belonged to the student. Alachua County sheriff's deputies went to the scene and found it.

Hilary Sessions said she was told this week that the sweat shirt was being tested. Nobody has told her why the evidence languished for so long, she said.

Jeff Westcott, an FBI spokesman in Jacksonville, wouldn't talk about the reasons for the delay or any other specifics of the case.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement spokeswoman Sharon Gogerty said Alachua County authorities gave the shirt to them in May 2001, and it was handed over to the FBI in June 2001. Hilary Sessions said she and Tiffany's father gave blood and DNA samples two years ago, along with a baby tooth from Tiffany.

Test results won't be available for three weeks, Hilary Sessions said.

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/08/31/State/Ol...irt_teste.shtml

20-year anniversary of Tiffany's disappearance.

http://cbs4.com/local/Tiffany.Sessions.Missing.2.930450.html

GAINESVILLE (CBS4) ―
During the winter of 1989 at the University of Florida in Gainesville, a young woman left her apartment to go for an early evening jog but she never returned. Her name was Tiffany Sessions and she disappeared without a trace twenty years ago today. To mark the 20-year anniversary of the case, the Alachua County Sheriff's Office held a news conference to release information about a possible new lead and remind people that she may still be out there somewhere.

http://tiffanysessions.com/

I remember her case very well. Still go on her mother's website to find out any new info. My friend Jim was good friends with her at the University of Florida in 1988/89. Although Tiffany's case was around 5 yrs earlier, I always felt there were similarities with Shannon Melendi's case, who disappeared from Emory University in Atlanta, GA while scorekeeping a softball game. Butch Hinton was convicted of her murder, but considering the proximity of Gainseville, Fl in Tiffany's case and Atlanta with Shannon's, one must wonder if that's just a coincidence?

Hi
Yes,Her story is real sad.I keep her family in my prayers always.

suzanne

College student went for a run, never came back

Tiffany Sessions was a 20-year-old junior studying economics at the University of Florida in Gainesville when she decided to go out for a run. She never came back.

Sessions left her off-campus apartment about 6 p.m. February 9, 1989. She told her roommate she'd be back shortly and took her Walkman with her.

It was the last time anyone would see her.

That was 20 years ago, a time when no one had cell phones, Blackberries or Web sites to aid in tracking a missing or abducted person.

The only clues came from people who recalled seeing a young woman fitting Sessions' description walking down the main street just before dusk.

"Much of the area in the last decade has been paved over, with new construction, making a search today very difficult," said Detective Bob Dean of the Alachua County Sheriff's Office. However, investigators are still searching and working this case actively.

Searchers were out as recently as late December, seeking clues with newer technologies.

"We have used ground sonar equipment, even," Dean said.

Over the years, there have been some possible suspects -- people who came forward and confessed -- but police have ruled them out as credible suspects.

One potential suspect was a man who was in jail for killing a 5-year-old girl. He'd written a letter to police, claiming he was responsible for Tiffany Sessions' disappearance.

But when questioned later by police, he denied writing the letter, even though handwriting analysis indicated that he had.

"Although police don't think so, I still believe this guy could have something to do with my daughter's disappearance," said Patrick Sessions, Tiffany's father.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/24/grace.coldcase.sessions/

This Jane Doe was found in New Mexico on June 5,1991, the circumstances are strange, you can read about them here; https://identifyus.org/?p=case&i=2926&=486&s=DateFound_DESC&from=search
and here; http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/644ufnm.html

But her photo makes me think of Tiffany, plus her hair was blonde (in the b&w photo of JD,it looks brown)
Now, what if she was abducted and forced into some kind of sex slavery, being in a motel in New mexico wouldn't be that far off.... I don't know, but her face looks alot like Tiffanys.
I will post a side by side on the other thread here; http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68346

Not able to do that on this one....

Jeremiah 29:11-14

Here is Jane Doe Photo
https://identifyus.org/photo.php?i=2062&m & link to Identify us website; https://identifyus.org/?p=case&i=2926&=486&s=DateFound_DESC&from=search

Compare their faces

I came here to do a side by side, but it appears I am not able to do that on this thread, so I will go see if there is a thread on this unidentified JD and try to post it there....

I will return....

No there isn't a thread on the Jane, that I think looks like Tiffany, so I started a new thread.....

You never know, it could be a match. The "sex ring" theory may be possible. It says this Jane Doe was found in New Mexico. If you recall the case of Tara Calico (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/calico_tara.html), she was abducted in NM, never to be found. A possible photo of her and a younger aged boy, both bound and tied in a van was found in the parking lot of a Florida convenience store in 1989. Many theories suggest that Tara was a victim of such a type of ring. It just seems a bit strange that some of these cases seemed to be intertwined around the same time.

The woman's face does look very similar to Tiffany's, but according to the Doe Network page that you linked to the Jane Doe, she was 5'7". According to The Charley Project, Tiffany was only 5'3".

Your right.You never know what could be a match or not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back