Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Red beans are sometimes hard to find. I find it tends to be regional. We have a great supermarket nearby that will special order them for me, I like the Bush brand. The are quite common is Wisconsin, but not as common here in Illinois.

Good luck in your search!

JMO
Just wondering if the red beans you're referring to are the same red beans that are in so many Korean & Asian foods? Like red bean paste, red bean filling etc.

I KNEW red beans and kidney beans were not the same... I've "bean" down this road before LOL :p:cool::rolleyes:

Just wondering if the red beans you're referring to are the same red beans that are in so many Korean & Asian foods? Like red bean paste, red bean filling etc.

I KNEW red beans and kidney beans were not the same... I've "bean" down this road before LOL :p:cool::rolleyes:
I am not familiar with the red beans used in Korean or Asian food, but here's what I found

"In the US, the easiest thing to find would be Red Adzuki Beans which is the same thing as the Korean red bean or Pat.
They should be available online on Amazon on my store HERE or at other Korean or Asian grocery stores."

JMO

@Puzzles8 , maybe that’s why I’m not that keen on kidney beans, too—the tougher skin.

I’ll have to remember to check the grocery shelves here for “red beans” and also “great northern beans” that everyone here have been discussing. I wonder if they are not sold here as much, as I don’t think they are as prominently displayed—or maybe it’s just me being inobservant. :p
I have a recipe that uses cranberry beans. I had looked at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and a few other stores and couldn’t find them. Finally I found them at Kroger, although I don’t usually shop there I had checked online and they had cranberry beans in stock.

I like unusual and unique beans.

This is a great site: Heirloom Beans

I have a recipe that uses cranberry beans. I had looked at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and a few other stores and couldn’t find them. Finally I found them at Kroger, although I don’t usually shop there I had checked online and they had cranberry beans in stock.

I like unusual and unique beans.

This is a great site: Heirloom Beans
There used to be a vegetarian restaurant in Troy (MI) that had a cranberry bean salad on their menu. It was delicious with the mild-flavored beans, fresh rosemary, and blue cheese, among other ingredients. The beans were featured in the small grocery section of the restaurant, and I made the salad frequently. Nino's always has cranberry beans, but I don't use them often.

Who knew there were so many varieties of this healthy and versatile food? I haven't tried all of them but haven't met any that I didn't like.

Last edited:
There used to be a vegetarian restaurant in Troy (MI) that had a cranberry bean salad on their menu. It was delicious with the mild-flavored beans, fresh rosemary, and blue cheese, among other ingredients. The beans were featured in the small grocery section of the restaurant, and I made the salad frequently. Nino's always has cranberry beans, but I don't use them often.

Who knew there were so many varieties of this healthy and versatile food? I haven't tried all of them but haven't met any that I didn't like.
Beans are an entire universe unto themselves! I find the different shades and patterns are really beautiful. Same with pea flowers, they're so dainty and smell lovely. There is nothing like eating a fresh pea pod from the garden :)

@IceIce9 that's an awesome site, ty!!

@Puzzles8 Apparently they use Adzuki beans. This is often a flavor/ingredient in Korean foods. I've had red bean ice cream before, it was sweet and reminded me of rum & raisin flavor ice cream.

Interesting tho, red bean is also a filling in moon cakes which are traditionally Chinese. Maybe I am just ignorant, as with the "ramen" noodles I bought that say Canton on the package and have Indonesian soy sauce packets. Even tho ramen is considered Japanese?! Confusing!!

Last edited:
I miss beans. We used to put them in lots of things. I'd put them in spaghetti Bolognese. I'd make a variant of pea and ham soup that had lentils and chickpeas. But nowadays, if we're having beans and pulses, only I can eat it because of partner's FODMAP issues, and the recipes don't really work for one.

I miss beans. We used to put them in lots of things. I'd put them in spaghetti Bolognese. I'd make a variant of pea and ham soup that had lentils and chickpeas. But nowadays, if we're having beans and pulses, only I can eat it because of partner's FODMAP issues, and the recipes don't really work for one.

I found an interesting site , where every recipe is focused on making it just for one person.
Maybe you’ll find some recipes you can make just for you for times you really crave eating some of the no-nos of your partner’s diet!

This hashbrown casserole recipe called for Cream of Chicken soup. Did you know it has MSG? I didn’t. I steer clear of it but I don’t think I’m allergic to it. Anyway, the gluten free version has it too. I thought maybe Cream of Potato would be a nice meatless substitute. But it has MSG too.

I settled on Cream of Celery Healthy Request. No meat, no MSG and 1/2 the sodium. My youngest can have some wheat but not a lot. So she should be able to eat this. I’d have to get the gluten free version, even with the MSG, for my oldest.

I was at a smaller Publix yesterday. I’m going to look at the big Publix to see if any other brands, beyond Campbell’s, that may work.

It smells heavenly and is very good. I can taste the celery. Next time I’ll pick out the bigger chunks of celery.

Attachments

• IMG_3505.jpeg
    IMG_3505.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3504.jpeg
    IMG_3504.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3503.jpeg
    IMG_3503.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3509.jpeg
    IMG_3509.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3510.jpeg
    IMG_3510.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 13
This hashbrown casserole recipe called for Cream of Chicken soup. Did you know it has MSG? I didn’t. I steer clear of it but I don’t think I’m allergic to it. Anyway, the gluten free version has it too. I thought maybe Cream of Potato would be a nice meatless substitute. But it has MSG too.

I settled on Cream of Celery Healthy Request. No meat, no MSG and 1/2 the sodium. My youngest can have some wheat but not a lot. So she should be able to eat this. I’d have to get the gluten free version, even with the MSG, for my oldest.

I was at a smaller Publix yesterday. I’m going to look at the big Publix to see if any other brands, beyond Campbell’s, that may work.

It smells heavenly and is very good. I can taste the celery. Next time I’ll pick out the bigger chunks of celery.
Oh, wow, that casserole looks positively decadent and yummy.
yum.gif

I don’t like sounding like an MSG guru or apologist (I’m not, so, sorry if I’m annoying), but in the reading I have done, I have learned that where products might not have added MSG on the label, they still might have naturally occurring MSG which go by other names in the list of ingredients. Just something I thought it is good to be aware of.

“FDA requires that foods containing added MSG list it in the ingredient panel on the packaging as monosodium glutamate. However, MSG occurs naturally in ingredients such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, as well as in tomatoes and cheeses. While FDA requires that these products be listed on the ingredient panel, the agency does not require the label to also specify that they naturally contain MSG. However, foods with any ingredient that naturally contains MSG cannot claim “No MSG” or “No added MSG” on their packaging. MSG also cannot be listed as “spices and flavoring.” “

And, the Q&A page answers the question:

What’s the difference between MSG and glutamate in food?

The glutamate in MSG is chemically indistinguishable from glutamate present in food proteins. Our bodies ultimately metabolize both sources of glutamate in the same way. An average adult consumes approximately 13 grams of glutamate each day from the protein in food, while intake of added MSG is estimates at around 0.55 grams per day.

(boldings and red color done by me)

Oh, wow, that casserole looks positively decadent and yummy.
yum.gif

I don’t like sounding like an MSG guru or apologist (I’m not, so, sorry if I’m annoying), but in the reading I have done, I have learned that where products might not have added MSG on the label, they still might have naturally occurring MSG which go by other names in the list of ingredients. Just something I thought it is good to be aware of.

“FDA requires that foods containing added MSG list it in the ingredient panel on the packaging as monosodium glutamate. However, MSG occurs naturally in ingredients such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, as well as in tomatoes and cheeses. While FDA requires that these products be listed on the ingredient panel, the agency does not require the label to also specify that they naturally contain MSG. However, foods with any ingredient that naturally contains MSG cannot claim “No MSG” or “No added MSG” on their packaging. MSG also cannot be listed as “spices and flavoring.” “

And, the Q&A page answers the question:

What’s the difference between MSG and glutamate in food?

The glutamate in MSG is chemically indistinguishable from glutamate present in food proteins. Our bodies ultimately metabolize both sources of glutamate in the same way. An average adult consumes approximately 13 grams of glutamate each day from the protein in food, while intake of added MSG is estimates at around 0.55 grams per day.

(boldings and red color done by me)

We’ve learned over the years, the ingredients aren’t always what is listed, nor accurate. My food allergies started in earnest at 19. My kids had to be tested at about 2 1/2 and it’s been a constant struggle with food labels.

I don’t think any of us has a problem with MSG. We’d know by now because, like you said, it’s naturally in many foods. Our bodies need it also.

Since our food allergies randomly pop up, we are very cautious. If I remember right, MSG seemed to make me retain fluid, much like salt does. We normally choose low sodium version of a food if possible.

We’ve learned over the years, the ingredients aren’t always what is listed, nor accurate. My food allergies started in earnest at 19. My kids had to be tested at about 2 1/2 and it’s been a constant struggle with food labels.

I don’t think any of us has a problem with MSG. We’d know by now because, like you said, it’s naturally in many foods. Our bodies need it also.

Since our food allergies randomly pop up, we are very cautious. If I remember right, MSG seemed to make me retain fluid, much like salt does. We normally choose low sodium version of a food if possible.
Same for me. I have also experienced MSG headaches and avoid most canned foods except for beans, tomatoes, and an occasional can of Hormel chili. I also avoid most processed packaged foods like rice or pilaf mixes, stuffing mixes, etc. that are usually much too salty, even if it's not MSG.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the red beans used in Korean or Asian food, but here's what I found

"In the US, the easiest thing to find would be Red Adzuki Beans which is the same thing as the Korean red bean or Pat.
They should be available online on Amazon on my store HERE or at other Korean or Asian grocery stores."

JMO
Don't know how this happened, my previous post indicated I had a store with a link to it. I have NO store anywhere!

What I was trying to convey is that my local grocery store here in my area will special order canned red beans for me.

Sorry for any confusion.

JMO

I don't have an alternative for you unfortunately but my grandmother has always been sternly against Campbells soup! She says it has too much sodium and msg. There are other soups which cost more but are soup-erior haha!

Idk any subs for cream of chicken soup tho. Seems the kind of thing you'd have to make from scratch to get even close to the same. I'm curious as to what you might find on your shopping trip :)

I don't have an alternative for you unfortunately but my grandmother has always been sternly against Campbells soup! She says it has too much sodium and msg. There are other soups which cost more but are soup-erior haha!

Idk any subs for cream of chicken soup tho. Seems the kind of thing you'd have to make from scratch to get even close to the same. I'm curious as to what you might find on your shopping trip :)
When my oldest was here at Christmas I made squash casserole. I remember we went to the big Publix and found a special brand of gluten free soup and gluten free “Ritz crackers” for her. She was so excited. I hadn’t made it since she was a child. Long before we knew she needed to be gluten free.

My mom was frugal too. My parents were born in 1923 and 1925, definitely Depression kids.
I remember drinking powdered milk. I didn't love milk to begin with, but I really didn''t like powdered milk. We only ate what was on sale at the grocery store that week, meats or veggies.
We had a HUGE victory garden in our back yard and canned volumes of tomatoes that lasted us through the winter. I really miss those home canned tomatoes.
I do really miss those times when life was simple.

JMO
I think a lot of people share your whistfulness for simpler times. There seem to be thousands of YouTube channels dedicated to homesteading, living off grid, vegetable gardening, preserving, etc. We have so much at our fingertips these days: Access to information, interesting ingredients, restaurants, etc. It’s hard to give those up, but there is a definite down side to it all.

My mom was frugal too. My parents were born in 1923 and 1925, definitely Depression kids.
I remember drinking powdered milk. I didn't love milk to begin with, but I really didn''t like powdered milk. We only ate what was on sale at the grocery store that week, meats or veggies.
We had a HUGE victory garden in our back yard and canned volumes of tomatoes that lasted us through the winter. I really miss those home canned tomatoes.
I do really miss those times when life was simple.

JMO
I think a lot of people share your whistfulness for simpler times. There seem to be thousands of YouTube channels dedicated to homesteading, living off grid, vegetable gardening, preserving, etc. We have so much at our fingertips these days: Access to information, interesting ingredients, restaurants, etc. It’s hard to give those up, but there is a definite down side to it all.

I should just make it from scratch, too, since it looks quite easy to make! I searched, as most recipes for a homemade can soup alternative is:

Can cream of chicken soup substitute
(Equivalent to one 10-oz can of soup)

1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. When melted, whisk in the flour and continue whisking until smooth and bubbly.

Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a gentle boil, whisking constantly, until the soup thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I should just make it from scratch, too, since it looks quite easy to make! I searched, as most recipes for a homemade can soup alternative is:

Can cream of chicken soup substitute
(Equivalent to one 10-oz can of soup)

1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. When melted, whisk in the flour and continue whisking until smooth and bubbly.

Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a gentle boil, whisking constantly, until the soup thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Yes!

Anytime I make a cream based soup I start with a sort of "roux" which is melted butter add some flour until thick and then the liquid (broth, cream etc). In a separate pan/pot I do my veggies, usually broccoli. In that case, I sometimes add minced onion to the butter in the pot before the flour.

You can also use this recipe to make sauces. I use the same base for macaroni and cheese except I add less flour, less milk/cream and lots of cheese (and some mustard).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjflow
Back