Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Snipped for space:

I mentioned in an earlier post how I grew up eating corned beef and cabbage every St. Patrick’s Day. So, normally that is what we eat on the day. This year, however…we couldn’t wait, and already ate it as it was on sale last week!
lick.gif
So, I don’t know what we’ll eat, but it won’t be that. :) Probably it’ll be just another day. BUT I’ll still wear something green.

By the way, the best price I could find here was $2.99/lb for point cut. Not that cheap a deal compared to the good ol’ days. What’s the sale price for corned beef where you are, everyone?

Yes, he’s sprinkling the cheese before the sauce! Do they put more cheese on top after the sauce? I like when cheese gets melty and with “burnt” spots on top of pizza. Is that just me? Does that still happen if the cheese is under the sauce?
Personally, I like the part that I call a "pizza bubble" lol! When the dough puffs and makes a bubble that has some of the sauce and cheese melted on top. That's one of the best parts imo.

I don't do anything for St Patricks Day personally. I'm not familiar with the dishes either, my family has Scottish roots not Irish.

Personally, I like the part that I call a "pizza bubble" lol! When the dough puffs and makes a bubble that has some of the sauce and cheese melted on top. That's one of the best parts imo.

I don't do anything for St Patricks Day personally. I'm not familiar with the dishes either, my family has Scottish roots not Irish.
Ooh, I like the pizza bubbles,too. Yum.

Well, I am certain I have no Irish in me, either! lol But then, everyone is Irish in the US on St. Patrick’s Day. ;)

I read that corned beef and cabbage is a tradition started by Irish-Americans rather than from the immigrants’ homeland. I think in Ireland they’d eat pork—(ham?), but in the US, beef was more available? Or more affordable? Something like that.

So what is special about Buddy's pizza? I have not heard of it.
I would love to find a new frozen pizza brand. I'm tired of Tombstone, Home Run Inn, Lotta Motzza, Connies and local store brands.
We don't eat them often, but in the case of emergency, give me some guidance!

JMO
Connie's, but it's really hard to come by. Also Nancy's, but again, pretty regional towards Chicago stores. Same with Rosati's, too. Those are all good. Have you tried the Gino's deep dishes? Those are awesome-- unless you overbake, and all the cheese pretty much melts away, seriously, it more or less evaporates.

So what is special about Buddy's pizza? I have not heard of it.
I would love to find a new frozen pizza brand. I'm tired of Tombstone, Home Run Inn, Lotta Motzza, Connies and local store brands.
We don't eat them often, but in the case of emergency, give me some guidance!

JMO
I have not tried it yet, but Costco sells frozen Motor City Pizza that seems to be popular. Most things at Costco DO seem to be good! I’ll have to try it someday.

Anyone familiar with that pizza?

I’ve not heard of Buddy’s, either. I’ll be on the lookout.

Snipped for space:

I mentioned in an earlier post how I grew up eating corned beef and cabbage every St. Patrick’s Day. So, normally that is what we eat on the day. This year, however…we couldn’t wait, and already ate it as it was on sale last week!
lick.gif
So, I don’t know what we’ll eat, but it won’t be that. :) Probably it’ll be just another day. BUT I’ll still wear something green.

By the way, the best price I could find here was $2.99/lb for point cut. Not that cheap a deal compared to the good ol’ days. What’s the sale price for corned beef where you are, everyone?

Yes, he’s sprinkling the cheese before the sauce! Do they put more cheese on top after the sauce? I like when cheese gets melty and with “burnt” spots on top of pizza. Is that just me? Does that still happen if the cheese is under the sauce?
My mom always made the BEST corned beef and cabbage. My dad loved it so she made it frequently. We never thought of it as a once a year special meal, it was a regular occurrence on our dinner table.

I have not tried it yet, but Costco sells frozen Motor City Pizza that seems to be popular. Most things at Costco DO seem to be good! I’ll have to try it someday.

Anyone familiar with that pizza?

I’ve not heard of Buddy’s, either. I’ll be on the lookout.
I’ve had the Motor City pizza at Costco and it was probably one of the best frozen pizzas I have ever had. Motor City cheese sticks are really good too.

I seldom buy frozen pizza because there are several really good pizza places within just a few miles of my house. I frequently order pizza for carry out.

Costco does have the best frozen pizza. I’ve sampled several different pizza types and brands at Costco because they seem to be handing out samples nearly every time I shop there.

Even the Kirkland brand pizza is decent

Costco also has a really good GF pizza that has cauliflower crust. It is the only GF pizza I have ever tried that doesn’t taste like cardboard.

Apologies to Puzzle8, you had Connie's on your "sick of" list, and I didn't see it. That's one of my favorites ever, so that's probably why, lol.

Another one that's kind of off the beaten path is WisePies, but I don't see that one too often at all. It's good, though. They make one with hatch chile.

Another big food recall. I don’t buy this variety of salad but Taylor Farms is the brand of fresh broccoli and other produce I purchase.

Nearly 20,000 pounds of Kroger's apple walnut with chicken salad bowl products are getting recalled over allergen concerns.

California-based Taylor Farms Pacific recalled the ready-to-eat products after discovering that the labels don't declare wheat – a known allergen – as an ingredient, according to a notice from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS).

Snipped for space:

lick.gif

Yes, it has cheese on top too, but it’s not heavy on the cheese at all. And it is so good. I read somewhere that they do that to prevent the crust from getting soggy ?

My mom always made the BEST corned beef and cabbage. My dad loved it so she made it frequently. We never thought of it as a once a year special meal, it was a regular occurrence on our dinner table.
I did this too. Particularly when I was at home with my girls. I’d buy 3-4 corn beef and put them in the basement freezer. (In TN)

Every 2-3 months, I would make a big crockpot with corn beef, potatoes, cabbage and sometimes carrots. It was great leftovers and my ex husbands coworkers were jealous of his lunch!

I did this too. Particularly when I was at home with my girls. I’d buy 3-4 corn beef and put them in the basement freezer. (In TN)

Every 2-3 months, I would make a big crockpot with corn beef, potatoes, cabbage and sometimes carrots. It was great leftovers and my ex husbands coworkers were jealous of his lunch!
I think the meal my mom made was just corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes. She either simmered it on the stove or cooked in the crock pot. It was wonderful to come home from school to walk into the house and smell this meal cooking.

With all the talk about pizza, I'm guessing that there are some here who enjoy cold pizza for breakfast. I never understood the cold pizza for breakfast thing in the dorm and still don't know how anyone can actually eat pizza that isn't fresh and hot out of the delivery box or oven. Even leftover pizza reheated in the microwave isn't very appetizing, so we usually put it in the oven for a few minutes to reheat so it gets crispy.

Besides occasional cold pizza, what do you usually have for breakfast? I don't feel hungry when I first get up and start my day with Perrier. For many years, I drank coffee, switched to decaf, and finally just gave up coffee altogether a few years ago. I enjoy going out for breakfast - more like brunch - but I never have a big breakfast at home. I like toast, bagel, English muffin, croissant, or other breakfast pastries. Some mornings I'll have plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, chia seeds, honey, and/or granola (homemade). I rarely eat eggs unless DH offers to make egg-in-the-hole or scrambled eggs. What do you eat for breakfast?

I start out with something small, like a handful of Cheez-Its, a mini loaf of banana bread, small bagel, etc. Once the caffeine (iced tea) kicks in, I'll have brunch. Yesterday it was a turkey & cheese sandwich at 10:30am. Today, I think I'll warm up a piece of pizza.

Last night we got the Gourmet Spinach Pizza with tomatoes from Michelangelo's Pizza. Kiddo & I were celebrating her acceptance into vet school.

With all the talk about pizza, I'm guessing that there are some here who enjoy cold pizza for breakfast. I never understood the cold pizza for breakfast thing in the dorm and still don't know how anyone can actually eat pizza that isn't fresh and hot out of the delivery box or oven. Even leftover pizza reheated in the microwave isn't very appetizing, so we usually put it in the oven for a few minutes to reheat so it gets crispy.

Besides occasional cold pizza, what do you usually have for breakfast? I don't feel hungry when I first get up and start my day with Perrier. For many years, I drank coffee, switched to decaf, and finally just gave up coffee altogether a few years ago. I enjoy going out for breakfast - more like brunch - but I never have a big breakfast at home. I like toast, bagel, English muffin, croissant, or other breakfast pastries. Some mornings I'll have plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, chia seeds, honey, and/or granola (homemade). I rarely eat eggs unless DH offers to make egg-in-the-hole or scrambled eggs. What do you eat for breakfast?
I never understood cold pizza either. IMO cheese should be hot and melted and crust should be crisp.

When we order pizza I try not to order more than we can eat, and if I do reheat I use the oven.

I start out with something small, like a handful of Cheez-Its, a mini loaf of banana bread, small bagel, etc. Once the caffeine (iced tea) kicks in, I'll have brunch. Yesterday it was a turkey & cheese sandwich at 10:30am. Today, I think I'll warm up a piece of pizza.

Last night we got the Gourmet Spinach Pizza with tomatoes from Michelangelo's Pizza. Kiddo & I were celebrating her acceptance into vet school.
I start my day with my meds and a banana w yogurt. Then tea, sometimes decaf or I get the jitters.

Vet school is major, that's awesome! It's an intense program from what I know.

Omg that sounds so good with the sausage!! Yes, I agree that rice and beans (peas and rice) in itself is the comfort food you didn't know you were missing.
I don't know if I'd call beans and rice "comfort food" because we all know that too many beans can cause "discomfort" for many folks. That said, beans and rice is very satisfying and has many health benefits.

A perfect start to my morning is with quiet and a mug of hot coffee, black. I need to take meds and supplements in the morning, which bothers my stomach if empty, so I eat something. Most often just toast.

But here’s something I grew up eating as a breakfast food that every Japanese-American family I knew also made often. We called it simply ‘fried rice’, but it wasn’t like the Chinese restaurants. We use short-grain rice, egg and bacon pieces as the must-include main ingredients. Family recipes can vary, but every family’s had to have bacon in it, and use some of the bacon fat for making the fried rice. I still love it. I make it occasionally if I have a lot of leftover rice. Sometimes I’ll make a version using Spam bits. I know many have an aversion to Spam, but it’s another thing I grew up eating and love it!

A perfect start to my morning is with quiet and a mug of hot coffee, black. I need to take meds and supplements in the morning, which bothers my stomach if empty, so I eat something. Most often just toast.

But here’s something I grew up eating as a breakfast food that every Japanese-American family I knew also made often. We called it simply ‘fried rice’, but it wasn’t like the Chinese restaurants. We use short-grain rice, egg and bacon pieces as the must-include main ingredients. Family recipes can vary, but every family’s had to have bacon in it, and use some of the bacon fat for making the fried rice. I still love it. I make it occasionally if I have a lot of leftover rice. Sometimes I’ll make a version using Spam bits. I know many have an aversion to Spam, but it’s another thing I grew up eating and love it!
That sounds good. As a child we often had white rice for breakfast, served with milk , sugar and cinnamon, like a cereal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann
Back