Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

In New Orleans, it is tradition to eat red beans and rice on Mondays. It's the day people used to wash clothes all day while the beans cooked. We usually use smoked sausage (or andoille sausage) or ham. But ours are eaten with way more beans than yalls pics show. And usually.more creamy that solid beans. I will attach a pic of what they usually look like. I will add my super easy recipe that I use, but if your store has cans of Blue Runner red beans, they are actually pretty good! I brown some sausage and add to a can of blue runners over rice often!!!

Also, for our roux, we do a big spoon of flour and a big spoon of oil. Mix mix mix o er medium low heat and don't stop until it is the color of a copper penny. Some like it darker. The darker it is, the richer the taste. But if you burn it, Chile, throw it out! You will never cover the burnt flavor.

Red beans-
1lb bag of dried red beans- rinse and rocks removed
Put in a big pot with about 1/2 the pot of water.
I boil then turn to medium low. Here's where things can go wrong. Don't add any seasoning yet! The beans will stay hard. So let them go for about 2 hours like that.

The next 2 hours, I add my onions, celery and garlic I sautéed in butter. A whole lot of them. It's called "the trinity" here. We pretty much don't cook without those 3. Then, I add butter. Put how much you want, but a half stick to a stick is best. And about 2-3 dried bay leaves. Leave them whole and don't eat them! They are just for flavor. Cook like that another 2 hours.

For the last 2 hours, I first use a hand blender for a few whirs around (you don't want it all blended, just make it creamier with some whole or part intact). You can also use the back of the spoon to mash them on the side of the pot. Then, I add my smoked sausage. I like to brown mine first. Some people like ham or sausage, not browned. Here is also where you add your salt, pepper, hot sauce.

Red beans are an art, not a science. You might need more water. You might have to adjust your heat. I stir mine bc my stove loves to make things stick. My friend is a "don't open except every 2 hours" girl. At the end, you serve over rice. Everyone here adds hot sauce- Tabasco or Frank's or crystal. I do it in individual dishes bc I like mine spicy and my son is mild. My favorite is with a piece of French bread to scoop up the leftover juice. Well, now I want red beans and rice.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240317-190620_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317-190620_Chrome.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240317-192252_Walmart.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317-192252_Walmart.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 14
In New Orleans, it is tradition to eat red beans and rice on Mondays. It's the day people used to wash clothes all day while the beans cooked. We usually use smoked sausage (or andoille sausage) or ham. But ours are eaten with way more beans than yalls pics show. And usually.more creamy that solid beans. I will attach a pic of what they usually look like. I will add my super easy recipe that I use, but if your store has cans of Blue Runner red beans, they are actually pretty good! I brown some sausage and add to a can of blue runners over rice often!!!

Also, for our roux, we do a big spoon of flour and a big spoon of oil. Mix mix mix o er medium low heat and don't stop until it is the color of a copper penny. Some like it darker. The darker it is, the richer the taste. But if you burn it, Chile, throw it out! You will never cover the burnt flavor.

Red beans-
I boil then turn to medium low. Here's where things can go wrong. Don't add any seasoning yet! The beans will stay hard. So let them go for about 2 hours like that.

The next 2 hours, I add my onions, celery and garlic I sautéed in butter. A whole lot of them. It's called "the trinity" here. We pretty much don't cook without those 3. Then, I add butter. Put how much you want, but a half stick to a stick is best. And about 2-3 dried bay leaves. Leave them whole and don't eat them! They are just for flavor. Cook like that another 2 hours.

For the last 2 hours, I first use a hand blender for a few whirs around (you don't want it all blended, just make it creamier with some whole or part intact). You can also use the back of the spoon to mash them on the side of the pot. Then, I add my smoked sausage. I like to brown mine first. Some people like ham or sausage, not browned. Here is also where you add your salt, pepper, hot sauce.

Red beans are an art, not a science. You might need more water. You might have to adjust your heat. I stir mine bc my stove loves to make things stick. My friend is a "don't open except every 2 hours" girl. At the end, you serve over rice. Everyone here adds hot sauce- Tabasco or Frank's or crystal. I do it in individual dishes bc I like mine spicy and my son is mild. My favorite is with a piece of French bread to scoop up the leftover juice. Well, now I want red beans and rice.....
Thank you for the interesting history of red beans and rice. It is something I have heard of, but never eaten. Yet. ;) You say it is traditional to eat it on Mondays, but I had heard it is a dish eaten for New Year’s Day. Or was it Eve…I forget.
So, is this also tradition?

Who loves Cajun rice, like dirty rice? OMG, I love cajun rice. You need chicken livers to make it, it's impossible without chicken livers. Have made red beans & rice, too, love em. But now I'm thinking about Cajun rice, and I have no chicken livers, LOL.

This reminded me of the other hot cereal I liked, Malt O Meal.
During the winter months, my mom cooked Quaker Oats, Cream of Wheat, or Malt O Meal most mornings. Dad and I liked hot cereal, but my siblings mostly preferred cold cereal year-round. If I have cold cereal, it is usually as a snack right out of the box - no milk. Quaker Oat Squares are especially tasty and a perfect snack. DH has McCann's instant oatmeal (packet) throughout the winter months, and Grapenuts in the spring and summer. He orders both from Amazon and has a bowl every morning with fresh fruit and almond milk.

Thank you for the interesting history of red beans and rice. It is something I have heard of, but never eaten. Yet. ;) You say it is traditional to eat it on Mondays, but I had heard it is a dish eaten for New Year’s Day. Or was it Eve…I forget.
So, is this also tradition?
On new years day, people eat cabbage and black eyed peas here. One is for wealth and one is for health for the new year.

On new years day, people eat cabbage and black eyed peas here. One is for wealth and one is for health for the new year.
Oh, oops! I was thinking of the wrong bean dish.
blush.gif

DH and I stopped at Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace on Saturday before we went out for dinner. I was surprised to see that there was some food sampling going on as I thought they discontinued the practice for good following the pandemic. There was a sampling display for Nino's Corned Beef and Barley soup, and a Boar's Head representative was handing out samples of a pre-cooked ham that will be featured for Easter. I was not interested in sampling either, but it seems that many folks enjoy tasting foods when offered. I know that Costco resumed food sampling once the pandemic was over, but I hoped that local markets where we shop would do away with the practice for everyone's health and well-being. Is there food sampling/tasting where you go for groceries?

I think I found a recipe for your dish. This person calls it “Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Rice”.

I am so happy you posted about this childhood rice “cereal” dish of yours, @neesaki . It’s so interesting to me to learn something new about food others grew up eating! I mean that, in all sincerity. This thread is so fun and enlightening.
Oh! I haven't thought of or ate this in years! My dad used to make us this as kids, as he grew up eating it as well. We never used cinnamon tho, it was just rice, milk, butter and sugar. I absolutely love this! I remember my husband thinking I was nuts the first time I made this. lol

I think I found a recipe for your dish. This person calls it “Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Rice”.

I am so happy you posted about this childhood rice “cereal” dish of yours, @neesaki . It’s so interesting to me to learn something new about food others grew up eating! I mean that, in all sincerity. This thread is so fun and enlightening.
If you cook the rice first, then drain it well, then simmer in milk before serving it will be softer and have better flavor. That’s just our preference anyway.

I’ve been off thread for a bit but been staying busy. I got some cooking done over the weekend. Still working on the beef in the freezer. Made some braised chuck steaks in instapot with some horseradish smashed potatoes yesterday. Need to use my tougher cuts of meat. Made shredded beef tacos a couple of weeks ago so I’m trying to mix up the flavors a bit. Today I took some of the leftover beef and added to some gluten free ramen noodles with some sauteed cabbage and a bit of beef bullion.

Have 13# of strawberries going for the freeze drier. Got them for $10 because they were starting to get soft. Bought 16# but ended up scrapping about 3# to the chickens as they were too far gone.

First time I’ve run freeze drier in quite awhile. Food is so expensive and the thought of stocking up right now isn’t appealing. Hopefully it will get better soon. Strawberries were the first good deal I’ve had in awhile.

I went to the food pick up this evening. I hadn’t been in 2 weeks. We wanted to use up what we had on hand.

Lots of unusual things. Mango yogurt looks like it’s a kids drink. Jasmine yogurt in glass jars, made with cashews. Kiddo can have those. Never heard of vanilla milk. Kiddo makes some kinda coffee drink so maybe it will be good for that.

All that meat went in the freezer. Kiddo & I will be visiting my oldest daughter in the FL panhandle for Easter. So the pork roast & corn beef will get eaten. Plus we get to meet the oldest’s boyfriend.

Attachments

• IMG_3611.jpeg
    IMG_3611.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3612.jpeg
    IMG_3612.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3613.jpeg
    IMG_3613.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3614.jpeg
    IMG_3614.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3615.jpeg
    IMG_3615.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3616.jpeg
    IMG_3616.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3617.jpeg
    IMG_3617.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3618.jpeg
    IMG_3618.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 17

Red beans-

I've been watching Peter Santanello on Youtube lately. He has been uploading videos from the south recently and I just watched one video of him visiting Louisiana.

@snooptroop88 ^^ Peter Santanello on YT. Visiting Louisiana showed crawfish and was talking to some Cajun people who explained that the word Cajun actually comes from the Acadians. Idk much more than that... Oh it's biblical and is connected to immigrants who came over from Europe.

I am wondering if the bean water is used in any of these dishes? I kind of feel like it is a secret ingredient for some reason... There is a ton of fiber and flavour in bean water.

I agree. We're all torturing ourselves in here :p

Speaking of breakfast, this was fun!

I'm a breakfast lover, and got 21 of 22 right on the quiz. And now I want a special breakfast! :D --Oh, just remembered that there's a package of frozen blueberry pancakes in the freezer--now I just need to remember that in the morning. We always have a jug of Vermont maple syrup on hand.

I'm a breakfast lover, and got 21 of 22 right on the quiz. And now I want a special breakfast! :D --Oh, just remembered that there's a package of frozen blueberry pancakes in the freezer--now I just need to remember that in the morning. We always have a jug of Vermont maple syrup on hand.
We made sourdough pancakes with discard from our sourdough starter. This is the first time we had tried it, and they were really good served with butter and Vermont maple syrup.

I think I've had Vermont maple syrup before. Can't lie, it was really good but I'm Canadian and I don't think we're allowed to like other peoples maple syrup?

I love a good "greasy spoon" breakfast though! I also like to put all the bacon on a wire rack over a dish and bake until crispy. Then sprinkle brown sugar and a little maple syrup over it while the oven cools down. Even the bits at the bottom of the dish that caramelize and mix with the syrup and turn into a sort of bacon candy. You can add black pepper or cinnamon if you want a bit of dimension and kick to it but usually I don't do that. Even Montreal steak spice. It's so good!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back