Found Deceased France - Émile S., 2, outside grandparent’s house, Le Vernet, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, 8 July 2023 #2

shadwell

Reaction score
Witness appeal launched yesterday by the Gendarmerie Nationale regarding the disappearance of Emile S (aged two and a half years) from the village of le Vernet (04140) in Alpes Haute Provence on the afternoon of Saturday July 8th 2023. The boy was last seen by witnesses walking close to his grandparents’ house on Haut Vernet (a cul-de-sac south of le Vernet) at approximately 5.15pm.

Emile is described as having brown eyes, blond hair and is approximately 90cm tall. At the time of disappearance he was wearing a yellow top, white shorts (with a green motif) and walking shoes.

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally from La Bouilladisse, in the Bouches-du-Rhône, Émile was looked after by his grandparents residing in the hamlet of Haut-Vernet, in the municipality of Le Vernet, this weekend. The little boy, who was in the garden after his nap, then escaped their surveillance.

"Apparently, the family was preparing to leave the house for an excursion. And at that time, he took advantage of this moment of fleet to spin," explains the mayor of the municipality of Vernet, François Balique, to BFMTV. "The grandparents realized that he was no longer there when they wanted to put him in the car." […]

In his press briefing this Sunday evening, the public prosecutor announced that according to two testimonies, the child was seen "leaving the place of residence of his grandparents".

"He is seen in a descending street by two people, that's where we then lose track," said the public prosecutor.

Contacted by BFMTV, the prosecutor specified that the witnesses are neighbors who saw the young child near the grandparents' house.

Experts fear the mystery around the tragic death of two-year-old Émile may never be solved after his remains were discovered eight months after his disappearance from the family's Alpine home.

'I fear that whatever we do in this case, it will remain an enigma,' former top public prosecutor Jacques Dallest admitted, with investigators no closer to working out how the child's bones and skull turned up near the house after thorough searches.

'I am not sure that even if we discover the rest of the body, we will have sufficient elements to allow us to determine the causes of death,' he added, as reported by The Times.

'I was there during the beatings [on the ground by those searching for Émile] and the gendarmes couldn't have missed him with the dogs.

'There was even a logging there in the Autumn. The wood cutters didn't see anything either. It's incomprehensible.'

Gilles Thézan, a resident of Haut-Vernet, told Le Parisien: 'There's a trick going on.

'The body was found only one or two kilometers from Haut-Vernet, in a place which had already been searched and re-searched, notably with dogs.

More bones found.

Sorry, in Dutch.
Gendarmes vinden bijkomende botten van Émile (2,5)

Translation:
“The French newspaper 'Le Parisien' reports that gendarmes have found new bones of the French toddler in recent days. The Aix-en-Provence public prosecutor's office has confirmed the news.”

“Parts of the skeleton were found near the spot where the child's skull was found by a hiker on March 30.”

“According to 'Le Parisien', the new finds are currently being analyzed at the IRCGN (Institut de Recherche Criminelle de la Gendarmerie Nationale) in Pontoise, just outside Paris. The experts from the French counterpart of our National Institute for Criminalistics and Criminology are said to have left the mountain village sometime between Saturday and Sunday after doing everything they could on the spot to find as many body remains as possible, 'Le Figaro' knows.”

More bones found.

Sorry, in Dutch.

Translation:
“The French newspaper 'Le Parisien' reports that gendarmes have found new bones of the French toddler in recent days. The Aix-en-Provence public prosecutor's office has confirmed the news.”

“Parts of the skeleton were found near the spot where the child's skull was found by a hiker on March 30.”

“According to 'Le Parisien', the new finds are currently being analyzed at the IRCGN (Institut de Recherche Criminelle de la Gendarmerie Nationale) in Pontoise, just outside Paris. The experts from the French counterpart of our National Institute for Criminalistics and Criminology are said to have left the mountain village sometime between Saturday and Sunday after doing everything they could on the spot to find as many body remains as possible, 'Le Figaro' knows.”
I wonder what they mean by 'near'?
I was mentally resigned to a 'far away' location if it is a case of accidental death.

The woman who found the skull was interviewd.
She hasn’t got a smartphone and was scared the skull would be gone if she went to the police. She only touched the skull with plastic bags.
She says the skull was in the middle of the path.

Sorry, in dutch:
Wandelaarster die schedel van Émile (2,5) vond, vertelt haar kant van het verhaal: “Ik wist meteen dat hij het was”
Wandelaarster die schedel van Émile (2,5) vond, vertelt haar kant van het verhaal: “Ik wist meteen dat hij het was”

She hasn’t got a smartphone and was scared the skull would be gone if she went to the police. She only touched the skull with plastic bags.
Thanks @Carovb5 I now understand why the woman took the skull.
I would have done the same in her situation.

If I didn't have a plastic bag with me, I would have to carry it in my bare hands.

Thanks @Carovb5 I now understand why the woman took the skull.
I would have done the same in her situation.

If I didn't have a plastic bag with me, I would have to carry it in my bare hands.

Or in your jacket, or use your socks as mittens. Yes, I too understood why she carried the skull home and called the police. It might be gone by the time they get back to investigate, and then who would even believe her.

Sorry, in dutch:
That actually makes complete sense.

I was thinking to myself that if I found a skull somewhere that I wasn't certain I could find again, like dense scrub, I might have done the same, despite it not being ideal, forensically, it's better than never being able to give to to law enforcement. But the middle of a path makes sense, too.

And because of her actions, the family will get to bury their child.

MOO

Mort d'Émile : "C'est un choc d'être passés à côté"… Comment la gendarmerie a accumulé malchance et loupés
Both paths
. It is around 5 pm, this Saturday, July 8. Emile, awake from his nap and shod, leaves alone the house of his grandparents and performs the 50 m to the village fountain, next to a rabbit hutch. «He would then have left the Haut-Vernet by the GR 69,» says the mayor of Vernet, François Balique. For about twenty minutes, the boy advances on this wide path taken by the 4 4 until a crow’s foot. «In this section, nobody can see it, except for the walkers, but there was nobody,» regrets the mayor.

At the first crossroads, Émile has the choice: continue straight until the ford of the torrent des Auches, or turn right on a path on the mountainside. One thing is certain: his skull and his clothes were found below these two possible routes, when these two tracks become parallel, on each side of the torrent, just before joining the departmental 900. “We do not yet know exactly where he went, the whole area is very raving because of the recent heavy rains,” says a constable. We will have to wait for the results of the current modelling.”
UNANSWERED QUESTION
Reading the IGN map and its contour lines, the location of the discovery seems, after the fact, sadly «obvious». Émile would have left the village by one of these two roads accessible by car and would have gone down until falling on the torrent of Auches or one of its small tributaries.
Worst case scenario for what comes next. First because the boy, helped by the slope, will cross a greater distance than his pursuers imagine. Then because «if he fell into the stream or a water hole, he could drown and therefore cool down very quickly», believes General François Daoust, former boss of the judicial pole of the gendarmerie.

In case of drowning, no screams. Less odors. And the body cooling in water, very quickly more heat "signal" to the thermal camera. Clearly, in the midst of dense vegetation in this summer month, the worst conditions for research.
IGN Map
THE SNAIL TECHNIQUE

That evening, in one hour, about forty gendarmes and a helicopter were on site. Nothing at the thermal camera. The camera broadcasts a message from Émile’s mother asking her son to show himself. “The rule in this kind of operation is the snail technique, we start with the closest and we move away,” says Daoust. When I was conducting research, I always immediately sent pairs to inspect water points and the steepest areas.”
Has this been done? Have teams left to follow the Auches stream from the GR 69 ford to the 900 departmental? “People from the village went to the crow’s foot, that’s for sure, then most likely to the ford,” recalls the mayor, “but we didn’t think he could have gone that far. I was convinced that he had gone to the hut and the precipices behind it.” And then, the first tracking dog on site, this July 8, does not mark the direction of the GR 69…

(This is an excerpt from the article published on 09/04/24 traduction Reverso )

Les 2 chemins.png

It really is a complete mystery.
Everything stalled at that point from the beginning.
I always had the impression that they were highly skilled searchers with very good equipment..
I don't see how they could have missed him, they organised very quickly at the time.

It really is a complete mystery.
Everything stalled at that point from the beginning.
I always had the impression that they were highly skilled searchers with very good equipment..
I don't see how they could have missed him, they organised very quickly at the time.

I don't believe that they searched far enough and Emile was beyond their search area. In the first thread, post #69, @dotr posted a link in which the spokesperson said that on the third day, they had searched a circumference of 5kms. That might seem like a large area until you realize that it means they searched a radius of .79 kms (1100 yds) in each direction from where he was last seen.

The solo rambler who found the skull of missing French boy Émile Soleil has spoken of her shock and anguish at becoming a prime suspect in the mysterious case.

In her first interview since the remains of the two-year-old were discovered in the Alps, the woman said she ‘did not expect’ police to search her home.

She could not recall how long she has been walking when she came across the macabre remains that she now calls ‘the thing’.

Expressing ‘amazement’ that police search parties using sniffer dogs had not seen it earlier, she said:

‘I found it in the middle of the path.

‘It was white, and very clean, There were only the top teeth…I cried, and then I calmed down.’

I don't believe that they searched far enough and Emile was beyond their search area. In the first thread, post #69, @dotr posted a link in which the spokesperson said that on the third day, they had searched a circumference of 5kms. That might seem like a large area until you realize that it means they searched a radius of .79 kms (1100 yds) in each direction from where he was last seen.

seems like it always ends up being a case of not searching far enough ...

She could not recall how long she has been walking when she came across the macabre remains that she now calls ‘the thing’.

Expressing ‘amazement’ that police search parties using sniffer dogs had not seen it earlier, she said:

‘I found it in the middle of the path.

‘It was white, and very clean, There were only the top teeth…I cried, and then I calmed down.’

Of course she would be surprised that they wouldn't simply take her word for where she said she found it. She's obviously an honest person and expects people to take her at her word. However, the police are going to investigate the possibility of alternate explanations.

Hiker who found skull of Émile (2.5) tells her side of the story: “I immediately knew it was him”​

“Mentally and physically exhausted”: this is how the hiker who found the skull of missing Émile (2.5) feels right now. The woman herself tells the French news channel 'BFM TV', in her first interview since the gruesome discovery. “During my walk I suddenly saw something white in the middle of the road. I immediately knew it was Émile.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back