GUILTY GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #6

Isn't that obstruction of justice or aiding an official to subvert the course of justice (DA)?

Misinformation isn't a crime. It's bad police work but not a crime to be told the wrong thing so you repeat it to the mother. Not intentional lying to the mom.

The police believed the McMichaels when they said Ahmad was a burglar without even investigating it.

Bad policing but not a crime. What Greg said carried alot of weight with the local police.

The officer or whichever officer told that officer. Is that really allowed? To give the family a false account of their son's death? I cannot believe that that could be legal.

It was what was believed in the moment. Remember, the whole incident was under investigation. And GM was a former LEO, so what he said has weight (as I believe another commenter mentioned above). There is no criminal recourse for this, because it would put officers in too much a predicament when contacting a family. Do I agree that he said burglary since that's what he was told, without a completed investigation? No. But as careless as it may have been, it's not criminal.

It was what was believed in the moment. Remember, the whole incident was under investigation. And GM was a former LEO, so what he said has weight (as I believe another commenter mentioned above). There is no criminal recourse for this, because it would put officers in too much a predicament when contacting a family. Do I agree that he said burglary since that's what he was told, without a completed investigation? No. But as careless as it may have been, it's not criminal.
But there was an LE at the scene and he did not even investigate whether a burglary occurred. He could see that Ahmaud had no stolen property on him. I find that disgraceful.
I cannot see how offering the real circumstances of a death would put police in a predicament. To me it was done to cover up a murder. MOO.

But there was an LE at the scene and he did not even investigate whether a burglary occurred. He could see that Ahmaud had no stolen property on him. I find that disgraceful.
I cannot see how offering the real circumstances of a death would put police in a predicament. To me it was done to cover up a murder. MOO.

I have a few points to make about this:

1. There are steps and protocols that officers, detectives, and crime scene analysts have to take.

2. Burglary is NOT robbery or theft. Robbery is when property is stolen from a person or place by force or threat of force, burglary is the breaking into a dwelling with the INTENT to commit a crime. The officer had no way of knowing what AA's intent was at the scene.

3. If we criminalize officers notifying a family of a death with the immediate knowledge that they have, officers will not notify families right away then. They will wait for an investigation to be completed, which means the family is in agony wondering if their family member is dead or alive somewhere

1. There are steps and protocols that officers, detectives, and crime scene analysts have to take.

2. Burglary is NOT robbery or theft. Robbery is when property is stolen from a person or place by force or threat of force, burglary is the breaking into a dwelling with the INTENT to commit a crime. The officer had no way of knowing what AA's intent was at the scene.

3. If we criminalize officers notifying a family of a death with the immediate knowledge that they have, officers will not notify families right away then. They will wait for an investigation to be completed, which means the family is in agony wondering if their family member is dead or alive somewhere

Thing is, minus a few phone calls/interviews with neighbors after they spoke to the 3 killers, Glynn Co LE essentially concluded their "investigation" the same day AA was killed.

Multiple LEOs that day watched the same video we've all seen. If those "interviewing" the 3 didn't ask the right questions- or many at all, it was because they didn't want to or were told not to.

A LEO went to Wanda Cooper-Jones' house to tell her that her son was dead, killed after being caught burglarizing a house. She has never believed LE acted out of carelessness or lack of knowledge, which would be bad enough. She believes she was deliberately lied to.

THIS! This, this, this... All of this! I couldn't say it better.

I'd also add another fact about why this just verdict finally happened: Ahmaud's mother (and his other friends and family, but mom deserves so much credit for this just verdict). Her persistence to try and get to the truth and to not be brushed off by the Glynn County Prosecutor's department, and to not be brushed off by the Brunswick/Ware County Prosecutor George Barnhill who'd decided not to charge the 3 men. She would not let them brush this under the rug and had she not kept pushing, I doubt RB's video would have ever gotten leaked, and these men might not have been brought to justice.

I have watched Wanda Cooper-Jones continuously carry herself with dignity, patience, and respect in her pursuit for the truth of what happened to her son on that fateful February day. I pray that she is able to find some small level of peace this Thanksgiving eve.

Great points!!!!! absolutely true

Thing is, minus a few phone calls/interviews with neighbors after they spoke to the 3 killers, Glynn Co LE essentially concluded their "investigation" the same day AA was killed.

Multiple LEOs that day watched the same video we've all seen. If those "interviewing" the 3 didn't ask the right questions- or many at all, it was because they didn't want to or were told not to.

A LEO went to Wanda Cooper-Jones' house to tell her that her son was dead, killed after being caught burglarizing a house. She has never believed LE acted out of carelessness or lack of knowledge, which would be bad enough. She believes she was deliberately lied to.

This is why GBI took over. She is absolutely allowed to believe that she was deliberately lied to. Again, the officer would have never known AA's intent at that moment. Maybe he lied, maybe he didn't. We will never truly know. moo.

But he did not 'break in' anywhere. He walked into a construction site.

Defense Attorneys News Conference on Guilty Verdict in McMichael and Bryan Trial | C-SPAN.org
Photos: Raw emotions pour out in guilty verdicts in Ahmaud Arbery murder case - Press Las Vegas

Attorney Laura Hogue, right, hugs Greg McMichael’s wife, Leigh McMichael, center, and his daughter, Lindsey McMichael, after the jury’s verdict in court.

Wanda Cooper-Jones, Arbery’s mother, stands with a painting of her son during a candlelight vigil in his honor at New Springfield Baptist Church in Waynesboro, Ga., in February, 2021.

Last edited:
This is why GBI took over. She is absolutely allowed to believe that she was deliberately lied to. Again, the officer would have never known AA's intent at that moment. Maybe he lied, maybe he didn't. We will never truly know. moo.

I understand what you're saying. Will just respond by saying the LEO who delivered that info to her had access to prior Glynn Co police reports, including Rash's. The ones stating AA had never been seen stealing anything, and that the only crime Rash thought AA might be guilty of was trespassing. Not even criminal trespassing, btw (right there on his 2/11 report).

IIRC, more than one LEO on the scene that day believed Travis at least should have been arrested. What that & the above suggests to me is although LE might or might not have known initially if AA committed burglary that day, there was ample reason for all of them to believe the pursuit & killing were unlawful (for excessive force, if nothing else).

And yet they were ok with telling her that her son was essentially responsible for his own death. No, not criminal, but maybe we can agree it was reprehensible?

I understand what you're saying. Will just respond by saying the LEO who delivered that info to her had access to prior Glynn Co police reports, including Rash's. The ones stating AA had never been seen stealing anything, and that the only crime Rash thought AA might be guilty of was trespassing. Not even criminal trespassing, btw (right there on his 2/11 report).

IIRC, more than one LEO on the scene that day believed Travis at least should have been arrested. What that & the above suggests to me is although LE might or might not have known initially if AA committed burglary that day, there was ample reason for all of them to believe the pursuit & killing were unlawful (for excessive force, if nothing else).

And yet they were ok with telling her that her son was essentially responsible for his own death. No, not criminal, but maybe we can agree it was reprehensible?

Oh, I absolutely agree it's reprehensible! And clearly with the 5th defendant Jackie whatever her name is, we know that she was trying to make sure these 3 murderers were going to get away with it.

Why only one defendant in Ahmaud Arbery killing was guilty of malice murder

Malice murder, he said, is akin to a first-degree homicide charge in other states. According to Georgia law, it means someone had a "deliberate intention unlawfully to take the life of another human being" where they weren't provoked and demonstrated "an abandoned and malignant heart" — or essentially, it was done out of ill will.

The prosecution was able to successfully argue that as the person who made the decision to fire the weapon, Travis McMichael was malicious in a charge that carries a life sentence. They also made clear that malice murder can be committed in a split second, and leaned into the idea that Travis McMichael grew angry when Arbery didn't heed his commands to stop during the encounter.

‘You had no choice’: how ex-cop father comforted son who shot Ahmaud Arbery

“You had no choice,” ex-cop Gregory McMichael told Travis McMichael placing his hands on his son’s shoulders.

Body camera images presented in court on Tuesday, carried by Officer Jeff Brandeberry, revealed that the elder McMichael would have shot the black jogger had his son not done so.

“To be honest, if I could have shot that man, I would have shot him myself,” McMichael said

upload_2021-11-24_17-34-16.png
McMichaels with blood - literally - on their hands. Greg has blood on his hand he said because he was checking for a weapon on Ahmaud. Not rendering aid.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back