GUILTY GA - Anthony Hill, 27, fatally shot by Dekalb County LE, 9 March 2015 *Arrest*

Olsen is facing a total of six charges:
  • Two counts of felony murder
  • One count of aggravated assault
  • One count of making a false statement
  • Two counts of violation of oath by a public officer
(Amanda Clark Palmer, defense attorney): Other than the whole scene (around body), there wasn't anywhere else at The Heights at Chamblee apartments where you saw what you thought could be blood?

(Joshua Ellis, GBI): No. It was all localized to the area around the body.

(Clark Palmer): And nothing you thought could be blood was back by Officer Olsen's car?

(Ellis): Not that I observed.

(Clark Palmer): Not by the driver's side of his (Olsen's) door?

(Ellis): Correct

(Clark Palmer): Not by the back bumper?

(Ellis): Correct.

Dr. Geoffrey Smith, the Deputy Chief Medical Examiner in DeKalb County testified the trajectory of the bullet wounds indicated Hill was crouching or bending down when he was shot. Smith told the jury Hill’s wounds indicated evasive actions.

“When an individual sees someone pointing a gun, the reaction to that might be to make yourself a smaller target if such a thing is possible,” testified Dr. Smith.

Other notes from Olsen’s interview with the GBI:
  • Thought Hill could have been on drugs
  • Was worried about hand to hand fighting with a naked individual
  • Thought Hill was a big guy “football player” type build
  • Noticed Hill’s bulging muscles and quadriceps as he was running
During the moments of the interview when Olsen recounted the shooting, Olsen closed his eyes, shook his head, pursed his lips, blinked rapidly and appeared to be holding back tears.

The jury followed along with a printed transcript. They were making notes and seemed to be rapt with attention.

Testimony resumes on Wednesday morning with cross examination of GBI Special Agent Thomas.
Cell phone video showing moments after Anthony Hill was shot takes focus of Olsen trial testimony

upload_2019-10-5_9-56-29.jpeg
Jurors requested a transcript of Lyn Anderson’s testimony, along with his police reports. Anderson is the police officer who responded to the scene shortly after the shooting. He testified that Olsen told him 26-year-old Anthony Hill pounded on him before he opened fire.

The jury also requested the transcript of the GBI interview with Robert Olsen.

The judge denied the above requests and asked the jury to use memory of the testimony.

The jury then asked to re-watch several witness videos from the scene. They watched video recorded by a neighbor of the aftermath of the shooting. They also watched two videos of Anthony Hill walking and crawling nude around his apartment complex.
No verdict reached by jury in Robert Olsen murder trial

I know this police officer had no way of knowing the state of mind of Anthony Hill, but he-policer officer- had to have known Anthony Hill had no weapons. I think “naked with arms raised” was an excellent clue that the officer was not in danger. Officer Olsen could have used a baton or a taser, but he chose a gun. It will be interesting to see how this jury chooses to handle "another white policer officer kills another African American" trial.

If Anthony had been running at him with a knife, I could understand. But he was clearly not armed. Pepper spray, taser, baton... so many other options.

I don't know how far away the victim was when he was shot, but why are we as a society okay with the police using lethal means against an unarmed suspect. I think the bar has been pushed so low that we are now inured to police shooting unarmed people. People even go so far as to justify such police action.

I don't know, because I'm not part of society that is okay with that at all. Especially not when you KNOW they are unarmed.

I can understand more in cases like Hannah Williams, where a fake gun is pointed at the officer. I don't expect the officer to wait to be shot to know it's a real gun before defending themselves. But when you can see they have no weapon? I don't understand at all.

Literally the only defense I could come up with here is if the cop thought the victim was on PCP. So knew he had no chance in hand to hand combat. That was the only thing I came up with. But I haven't seen that even mentioned specifically and I don't think that is what he thought anyway.

Veronica Waters‏ @MissVWaters Oct 4
#OlsenTrial The jurors’ expressions were definitely serious, but it didn’t look to me like anyone has been crying or anything. Judge says we won’t convene at 9 Monday morning; she’ll just notify everyone if & when the jury communicates. #AnthonyHill @wsbradio

So there won't be any live coverage, or verdict alerts or any of that in Anthony's case. I am okay with that, I just hope there is justice. I also hope this jury hasn't heard about Joshua Brown's murder and all the incorrect statements made surrounding it.

1. Veronica Waters‏ @MissVWaters 3m3 minutes ago#BREAKING The #OlsenTrial jury note says they don’t see themselves reaching unanimity on the counts on which they disagree. The judge did not ask them how many verdicts they have reached, or on which counts #AnthonyHill @wsbradio
  • Jury in #OlsenTrial say they have "found unanimity on some charges but not others." Say they don't believe it's possible they'll come to any agreement, but judge bringing them back Tuesday to resume deliberations #AnthonyHill
#BREAKING The #OlsenTrial jury says they have reached unanimity on some of the charges and not others and they won’t today. Judge says she will release them after telling them they haven’t been deliberating that long by her count #AnthonyHill @wsbradio

It is my opinion that it’s the murder counts the jury is deadlocked on. I wonder what the sentencing possibilities are for the remaining 4 charges.

Jury asked if they are unlabeled to reach a verdict on all counts does it invalidate the counts they do agree on.

Answer is no.

Jury is sent to lunch early, they didn’t request it.... deliberations were paused paused though no one is sure why.

Nothing since then two hours ago...

Also it’s Mental Health Awareness Day. I doubt the jury is aware but it would be a great day for a guilty verdict.

#OlsenTrial jury sent a note saying they believed they’ve reached a stopping point for the day, and asking to go home. I heard people in the courtroom groan. Judge is going to let them go for the night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back