GA GA - Atlanta, WhtMale 20-30, 178UMGA, hit by car on I-75, Virgo tattoo, Jul'95 - Steven Shelton

Anthony Hoffman, missing since 1989, has a dragon tattoo on his chest, is not on the list of exclusions, some details don't line up but age, height are close.

View attachment 355125View attachment 355126View attachment 355127

Hair and eye color don't match and Allen's dragon tat is too small. Circumstances speak against it. JMO

Attached from Arizona Republic, 12/1/1989

Attachments

• Hoffman, Allen AZ 1989.JPG
    Hoffman, Allen AZ 1989.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 21
I personally dont think its a match a lot of things dont seem to line up.

Probably not.
I'm still going to vote they should try to compare dentals or DNA, because I think eye color, hair color, tattoo size may be listed incorrectly if going off someone's memory or opinion.

There have even been a few cases here where the actual victim was mistakenly officially ruled-out.

It would be interesting to see a photo of AH's tattoo. It's also possible the large tattoo our UID has was a "cover-up" or addition to an older tattoo.
(I realize that is reaching.)

Probably not.
I'm still going to vote they should try to compare dentals or DNA, because I think eye color, hair color, tattoo size may be listed incorrectly if going off someone's memory or opinion.

There have even been a few cases here where the actual victim was mistakenly officially ruled-out.

It would be interesting to see a photo of AH's tattoo. It's also possible the large tattoo our UID has was a "cover-up" or addition to an older tattoo.
(I realize that is reaching.)

We discussed upthread whether part of the dragon tattoo was covering or extending an older tattoo; it sure looks like it to me. While the description of AH's tattoo indicates it's only 4", we don't know the source of that or how accurate it is. AH's is said to be outlined in black, while the decedent's is colored in, so that would be a logical change to make. While the description of AH's tattoo indicates it's only 4", we don't know the source of that size information or how accurate it is.

AH's description says blond but the pictures don't appear to support that. Similarly, his eyes don't look blue--but the decedent's sketch shows light-colored, possibly hazel eyes. Possibly room for overlap there.

The physical discrepancies don't concern me as much as the problem of circumstances. The odds of AH not being dead in the desert are very small, and if he did make it out, why didn't he contact anybody?

It all adds up to very improbable, as @CCJD pointed out (thanks for that article, btw, hadn't seen it before and it's much clearer than the Doenetwork writeup) but there's just enough to make me unsure.

Biggest negative for me--he's not a Virgo...

Bumping for “Steven”.

I wonder if his zodiac sign is Virgo. Why else would he have that tattoo? I have a zodiac tattoo too, of the Capricorn sign as that’s my sign. Most people would get their own, so I don’t see why he’d have a Virgo tattoo unless he was a Virgo.

Also 85 pounds after hospitalization… wow. That’s so light, especially for 6’2”. I wonder if they collected his original weight before he died, like right after the accident. He looks pretty good for 85 pounds, but of course he wasn’t that light to start with, his muscles atrophied so much he lost tons of weight.

I think his tattoos are distinctive enough that there’s someone out there who remembers them. He’d only be in his fifties if he were alive now. He’d be turning 49-59 in late August or early-mid September if he were alive and his zodiac sign is indeed Virgo like it says on his tattoo. So anyone in their late forties to early sixties who was a friend or lover of this guy remembers those tattoos, I’m sure of it.

I wonder why he had the slip of paper with the name on it. Most people don't write their name on a slip of paper and put it in their pocket. I wonder if it was a relative or friend's name, or just some alias. That’s super odd. I mean, if I had no ID on me and I turned up a Jane Doe somewhere I write my name in my belongings and a relative’s phone number.

Like in my purse I have “This purse belongs to Emilia MyLastName. If found please call Relative’s Name and Relation at This-Phone-Number.”

But there’s not even a mention of anything besides a name on his little paper slip. Strange and sad case.

I wonder why Cengiz Nuray is on the rule-out list. He was found and identified years ago.
Remember him specifically because I almost vomited when I saw his picture before he was found, and felt like my body was getting covered in seaweed and watery, slimy stuff. Freaked me out.
Looked him up just now and his head may have been missing, but this was an intact man, why compare?

I wonder why Cengiz Nuray is on the rule-out list. He was found and identified years ago.
Remember him specifically because I almost vomited when I saw his picture before he was found, and felt like my body was getting covered in seaweed and watery, slimy stuff. Freaked me out.
Looked him up just now and his head may have been missing, but this was an intact man, why compare?
I’m guessing in the past someone suggested him?

I’m guessing in the past someone suggested him?

Should be gone now no?
He's not in Namus anymore.
Possibility they put him as a rule-out to stop people submitting him, idk.
Hope this guy is identified soon though, still there after the Sumter Does, Jason Doe, Lyle Stevik, EDJD, Buckskin Girl etc etc..... Someone wants him home I'm sure :(

Should be gone now no?
Hope this guy is identified soon though, still there after the Sumter Does, Jason Doe, Lyle Stevik, EDJD, Buckskin Girl etc etc..... Someone wants him home I'm sure :(
Possibly. I would say he’s still in there because someone suggested him way back when but over time he just stayed there.

Edit: Tons of famous Does have gotten their names back as well as little known ones. Ones I hadn’t even heard of until they were ID’d.

Should be gone now no?
Sometimes on the rule out list in namus does who are identified and missing persons who were located are still there.

Last edited:
What if he's not a Virgo but just liked the tattoo? (I hope it's a clue, though.) Thanks for bumping up the case.
That’s a possibility but unlikely IMO. Everyone I know with a zodiac sign tattoo is that sign. I have a Capricorn tattoo and oh boy guess what? I’m a Capricorn, lol. But yeah could be a possibility.

That’s a possibility but unlikely IMO. Everyone I know with a zodiac sign tattoo is that sign. I have a Capricorn tattoo and oh boy guess what? I’m a Capricorn, lol. But yeah could be a possibility.
I agree. Everyone I know who has a tattoo, including me, their tattoos are very personal and usually have a story or meaning behind them. I believe if the Virgo tattoo was for someone else, their name (s) would be attached to it, like the dates of my mom's birth and death are woven into a memorial tattoo my nephew created, based off a tattoo she had, to signify it's in honor of her. I concede there are outliers, who just want a tattoo because they like the design, my sister has one or two of those, and it has no other significance than than they liked it, but I think, more often than not, the tattoo is more than an aesthetic for most.
FWIW, that's just my take on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back