GUILTY GA - Four dead in Atlanta courthouse shooting, Brian Nichols on trial

Animal04216 said:
He was on trial for ..rape,sodomy,aggravated assault,posession of a deadly weapon in commission of a felony...not sure if I got them all. Didn't have the list up on TV for very long.

AND they didn't want to prejudice the jury!!!!!!!!!!?????? :sick: :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/Sudzi/050311_suspect7.jpg

After the courthouse shooting, the suspect ran to a parking garage, where he might have shot another victim, and stole a vehicle.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter Don O’Briant was beaten by the suspect outside the courthouse and taken to a hospital, the newspaper said.

Witnesses said the suspect later carjacked at least one other vehicle and police have been searching the area.

James Bailey, a juror at Nichols’ trial, said the jury was not in the courtroom at the time of the shooting. Bailey said Nichols had made him and other jurors nervous. “Every time he looked up, he was staring at you,” Bailey said.

Again with the "defendant's rights."!!!!!!!!!! Don't make them wear the jumpsuit to trial. Don't make him wear handcuffs in the courtroom. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!! Now three people are dead, just so this guy didn't look like he was a prison inmate. The very LEAST they could do is make him wear an ankle bracelet while he was out of his handculff. I'm SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

He won't be taken alive, he has nothing left to lose now and the cops know it. And he is crazy - he will take as many people with him as he can - go out with a big ending if he can.
I guess my big question is how did this happen? This scenario isn't new - lots of guys have tried it (grabbing or trying for the deputy's gun) and it never seems to work - what was different this time? I hate to say this but it almost seems we should put the deputy in a "cage" in the courtroom with a gun and a clear shot at everyone or put the accused in a cage in the courtroom. It's either that or NO guns or weapons at all allowed and everyone gets searched.
This is just so sad for the innocent victims just doing their jobs.

Cynder, its interesting that you would suggest caging a deputy. What if the defendant took a hostage and held that hostage in front of him while he escaped and the deputy couldn't get a clear shot of him and couldn't move to a better spot to shoot him since he's caged???? Maybe because they have more rights than the deputy does. I think the defendant SHOULD either be shackled to the floor under his chair, in a cage during the trial or be able to watch the proceedings in a room nearby, but not in the courtroom. JMO

Local news is reporting increased police activity around Roswell Rd. and I-285 (so locals know what area to avoid). This area has quite a few apartments and of course, businesses. Many, many police vehicles. Prayers for his capture. The city feels under seige!

This guy is a monster - I just hope he doesn't take over a restaurant, school, business etc...

I agree with Jeana, if they are going to let them wear street clothes & not be shackled, then they should have an ankle braclet - that would not prejudice the jury - they would not even know it was there.

What annoys me is that all of the deputies outside of the courtroom have to check their weapons at the door of the building. They have lockers outside the entrance that they put their guns and ammo in! So none of them really have the ability to stop an armed escapee...

Press conference as it happens

4 shot
2 dead
asking for publics help if he is seen
97 green honda
still investigating how he was able to get the weapon
now he says 3 d one wounded
wounded officer in critical condition
Dr. from Grady hospital now speaking
one officer died of single shot to abdomen
one with wound to head but did not enter skull--fractures to head from the fall after being shot

Governer now speaking

all State assets are at the disposal of Fulton county
Flags at capitol are lowered to half staff in honor of those killed until funerals

Press Conference: 3 dead.....judge, court reporter and deputy. Judge and court reporter killed inside the courtroom. Deputy killed outside the courthouse.

Last person, a female deputy was shot in the head and is in critical condition although the bullet did not enter her skull. Apparently shot inside the courtroom..could be the officer whose gun was taken but no confirmation on that.

This situation is so bad... this animal is out there, with nothing to lose, angry, crazy... I pray they catch him before he hurts anyone else.

And let's just add again.. that he's out there and these people are dead and your city is under siege all because we need to protect his rights!!!:banghead:

On to a personal comment about Fulton County..

This is a county that is daily in the news for crimes but also for controversy

Security has not been so good there of late

I personally have an experience with the jail there.. I was called by an inmate..could not understand the name when he called, so I accepted charges(Thought it might be someone I knew)
He made a claim that he only had one call..his kids were there could I please call his brother in law and ask him to get the kids..he proceeded to give me the number which included *72(call forewarding lol) I caught it and refused
to accept any more calls rom the jail. I contacted the jail and was told that they have so many inmates they can't keep track of them all!!!!

I proceeded to contact the local Fox channel for an I team investigation. They showed their investigation on the ns 2 months later--I was not the only one this happend to. It was a real embarassment for Fulton county .

I believe the guy was out on bail so he was in street clothes. This is so sad for the families involved.

My understanding is that he was in custody but wearing street clothes for the trial--very common here.

I've heard it both ways now, so not sure. Either way it's hard to believe he could wrestle a deputy for a gun and run down several floors in a courthouse to get outside without meeting another Deputy with a gun who should have shot him on the spot.

The area I mentioned in a previous post is the area where his ex girlfriend lived and that is why there was so much activity. She has been taken into protective custody. It was this woman that the suspect commited these crimes on and was ultimately charged.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back