GA - Jaxon Taylor, 11 mos, dies in hot car, Chickamauga, 5 Sept 2015

Infant car seats face the rear, so you wouldn't necessarily see a sleeping baby when looking back.

This is why we need alarms in the infant car seats. My car lets me know when I'm not wearing my seatbelt, or when I'm driving too close to the yellow line, or when the tire pressure is too low. Lives would be saved if car seats had alarms.

Or if parents were diligent and thoughtful enough to check the carseat every time they exit the vehicle...

Honestly, I don't think alarms will save many babies. Only parents doing their job, or putting their own reminders in place in case they are too busy or forgetful to do their jobs.

(or grandparents, aunts or uncles, caregivers, etc.)

Why should there be alarms for something that kills about 38 children a year? Companies are going to spend millions on this, and what happens when it malfunctions? It will be a start-up company that makes it, most parents won't buy it because they think it won't happen to them, and they will be wiped out by their first lawsuit.

I wonder how many lives have been saved by moving carseats to the back, vs. deaths like this one. Probably more saved, but still...most of us survived without carseats at all. My parents had eights kids and took us all in the station wagon at one time, everywhere. No one ever got left, probably due in part to bodies overlapping...but none of us ever got injured either.

I think we have gone oveboard with safety concerns and gadgets and sometimes tend to lack basic common sense. I understand (sort of?) accidents like this, I guess, but at the same time, not really. How do you forget the person who probably takes up most of your time, thoughts and energies?

But I also believe deaths like this have a lot to do with the constant use of cell phones, scheduling every second of our time, trying to multi-task etc...people need to chill and get back to basics. Harsh, I know but jmo.

I wonder how many lives have been saved by moving carseats to the back, vs. deaths like this one. Probably more saved, but still...most of us survived without carseats at all. My parents had eights kids and took us all in the station wagon at one time, everywhere. No one ever got left, probably due in part to bodies overlapping...but none of us ever got injured either.

I think we have gone oveboard with safety concerns and gadgets and sometimes tend to lack basic common sense. I understand (sort of?) accidents like this, I guess, but at the same time, not really. How do you forget the person who probably takes up most of your time, thoughts and energies?

But I also believe deaths like this have a lot to do with the constant use of cell phones, scheduling every second of our time, trying to multi-task etc...people need to chill and get back to basics. Harsh, I know but jmo.

Many, many lives have been saved by putting babies in rear-racing car seats in the back seat. Front passenger seat airbags started becoming widespread in the 1990s, and it didn't take long for babies & young children to start getting killed by airbags. Which resulted in the laws requiring that car seats be in the back seat.

You're probably right to some extent about cell phone use. Cell phones started becoming widespread around the same time that airbags did -- around the same time that car seats started being put in the back seat -- so it would be very difficult to tease out any sort of reliable data on which plays more of a role, cell phones or the back-seat location. The graphs of cell phone ownership would probably look much like the graphs of front-seat airbags and car seats in the back seat -- all 3 saw huge increases throughout the latter half of the 1990s.

Cell phones can be (and are) a distraction, no doubt about it. Phone conversations while driving are probably a fairly common reason that the driver goes driving on autopilot straight to the office, and when they get there they think they dropped off the baby like always.

The cell phone distracts and makes it easier to forget to stop and drop off the kid on the way to work. The back-seat location makes it easy to not notice the kid is still there when you get to the office. It's a double whammy. Overall, I think we're probably lucky there aren't more hot-car deaths.

But it's definitely possibly to "just forget" without any phone distraction. I despise my phone. I almost never use it. But just last month, I got home from the running errands in town at mid-day. I parked, went inside, and didn't remember the groceries in the back until dinnertime. Including the milk, and steaks, and pork loin. I hadn't talked on the phone or texted or done anything. I didn't even have the radio on in the car. I just.... by the time I got home.... forgot that there were groceries in the back.

What an adorable little boy.....

Pictured: Boy who died after relatives accidentally left him in the car for two hours when they got home from church

Jaxon Taylor, 11 months, died after being left in a hot SUV on Saturday

Sheriff says family returned from church and forget baby in the car seat

He was pronounced dead in same ER where mother Mandie had been working night shifts as a nurse before waking up and asking about child

Police believe relatives including grandparents and aunt had all thought that one of the other adults would take Jaxon inside

Criminal charges have not yet been ruled out by authorities

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...death-toddler-left-hot-car.html#ixzz3l7WZQ8jl

So the mother was not one of the adults in the car. It was the aunt and the 2 grandparents. That makes more sense because I think the mother would have automatically taken her baby inside. But the 3 other adults were not used to doing so. But it is very annoying and aggravating that none of the 3 noticed the baby was missing in all that time. They were supposedly babysitting. So don't you wonder where an 11 month old is when you are watching the baby?

This must be heartbreaking for the mom. How do you look at your relatives after this? As a grandparent, how do you live with yourself? Many lives ruined as well as a senseless death.

I feel really sad for the mom who woke up, after her night shift, asking where her son was. I wonder where dad was. Maybe a new routine to the whole family. I would have a hard time talking to my family. This age is so much fun, not once did anyone mention him.

I wonder how far away their church was? Someone had to get the baby from the nursery at church and put him in the car. Unless it's a long way off how do you forget the baby?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Why should there be alarms for something that kills about 38 children a year? Companies are going to spend millions on this, and what happens when it malfunctions? It will be a start-up company that makes it, most parents won't buy it because they think it won't happen to them, and they will be wiped out by their first lawsuit.

The stats you quote are US only, but even so, 38 deaths is not something that can be brushed off. My car alarm can be heard all around the block if someone brushes a bit to hard into my car. It's just noise. Nobody cares. No lives are saved with that feature, and yet car manufacturers include it in most cars.

I have a cup warmer in my car ... and seat warmers ... and rear view cameras, and Onstar, and a little blue light that does something at night. Does anyone seriously think that car manufacturers can't afford to include a child safety feature that would save lives? Whose side are we on?

The stats you quote are US only, but even so, 38 deaths is not something that can be brushed off. My car alarm can be heard all around the block if someone brushes a bit to hard into my car. It's just noise. Nobody cares. No lives are saved with that feature, and yet car manufacturers include it in most cars.

I have a cup warmer in my car ... and seat warmers ... and rear view cameras, and Onstar, and a little blue light that does something at night. Does anyone seriously think that car manufacturers can't afford to include a child safety feature that would save lives? Whose side are we on?

Hey, I've got that little blue light too! I've never been able to figure out what it's for or what it does. And I can't find anything in the manual about it.

I have a yellow light. I think it is to give you some cabin light without it distracting the driver. It is above my radio and shifter.

And when it malfunctions, they'll have to pay out millions to negligent parents. I think that is why they don't bother. Do we want parents cashing in this way?

We can say its a great idea but do we want someone like Leanna Harris being rewarded $100 million? Or more?

And when it malfunctions, they'll have to pay out millions to negligent parents. I think that is why they don't bother. Do we want parents cashing in this way?

We can say its a great idea but do we want someone like Leanna Harris being rewarded $100 million? Or more?

Totally agree.

No need for gov't intervention. The parent/grandparent/baby-sitter needs to take responsibility for the child in their care. If there is a danger of forgetting, then you do something to make sure you remember. The teddy bear, a sticky note on the steering wheel, one of those stretchy things that you have to disconnect from the door to get out of the car.
But with 3 adults in the car, plus one other child, SOMEBODY should have said, I've got this one, Mama, you need to get the other. It's hot as hello down here, people need to be more careful. Once this happens, there is no going back.
All MOO

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/mom-of-boy-left-in-hot-car-i-chose-to-let-go-of-ha/nnbLR/?@322

he mother of a northwest Georgia boy left in a hot car for nearly three hours Saturday said she refuses to place blame for his death on her parents, whom she called the “best two grandparents any baby ever had.”

I just cant imagine how so much was going on, grandma and grandpa getting stuff out of the car where the baby was. The other daughter taking home her child, grandpa walking the dog..then both grandparents go to bed? No one missed the child or made sure he was being watched...unbelievable! I dont think i would be as forgiving as this mother!

Sounds like grandma went and layed down, grandpa walked the dog then joined her for a nap. You would think grandpa should have noticed the baby wasnt with grandma...it all seems strange!

Then there's the story of the dad whose motion sensors were dinging his key thing and he never checked...

I think the car manufacturers can definitely afford to do it, but should we really saddle them with millions and millions in litigation? Because, parents like that dad could have sued. (And we all know in America many would.) If something doesn't go right and it malfunctions, they will get sued. But here's the thing...I don't want this country to start punishing car manufacturers for a parent's ineptness and negligence to remember their own child. I don't think anyone else needs to be held responsible.

A company called Evenflo already invented a fairly low-cost sensor system, built in to their child car seats. It sounds an alarm to remind carers a baby is in the car and also, if the baby isn't strapped in.

I imagine this will be taken up by all manufacturers soon. Sadly, the technology won't be any help to all the dogs dying in hot cars because most owners don't use any restraint.

http://www.evenflo.com/SensorSafe/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back