GA - Jennifer Wilbanks, runaway bride, for false police report, Duluth, 2005

Yesterday I asked on one of the many threads if anyone thought she got cold feet and took off on her own. I just had that inkling . . . . . :p :p :p

Glad she's safe. What a horrible pressure it must be to live within such a status-conscious family.

I wonder what'll happen to all the wedding gifts? :D

May3hem said:
Y'know, running away from an obscene exercise in excess like a $100K wedding seems more like a moment of clarity than a mental disorder. But maybe that's just me.
Not when you let people believe you have been abducted...far more has been spent trying to find her!!!

quickgal said:
He just gave one. Among the words he used were "fiasco," and "disappointed."

He also said that John spoke to both families, saying that the Bible allows for people to make mistakes, that the Bible calls them sins, that these sins re-crucify Jesus, and that God forgives and that is grace.

Which is a bizarre statement, to me, implying that your fiancee just re-nailed Jesus (my opinion only of course). This could get ugly.
what she did has already made it plenty ugly...to put all those people through that pain...unbelievable!!

smellsarat said:
what she did has already made it plenty ugly...to put all those people through that pain...unbelievable!!
Right, but it could get uglier between the families (I should have been more clear).

smellsarat said:
Not when you let people believe you have been abducted...far more has been spent trying to find her!!!
And not when you OBVIOUSLY PLAN in a premeditated fashion your own disappearance.
For gosh sakes! The flipping FBI was on this case!!! This girl should make a major PUBLIC apology!!!!!!!

smellsarat said:

Agreed, to a point.

She, and any adult, for that matter, has the right to walk away without informing anyone of our intention to do so. This is the double-edged sword of living in a free society. She didn't call herself in as a missing person, she didn't organize the searches, and she certainly didn't orchestrate the media coverage. Right up until she called 911 in Albuquerque and made up that story about being kidnapped, everything she did was technically within the law (I am unaware of any law in any district that requires one to watch the news).

As for what her behavior did to her family and friends, that is a matter for her, her family and friends.

So, all we can say about the case is, "What a juvenile escapade!"

One news story stated she had no idea her disappearance would create such a media frenzy. She's 32 years old and had no idea? Did she have no concern for her parents, her friends, or her family? Can we at least question her intelligence?

[ Which is a bizarre statement, to me, implying that your fiancee just re-nailed Jesus (my opinion only of course). This could get ugly.[/QUOTE]

It was a figuretive phrase. I heard it hundreds of times growing up and understood perfectly what he was trying to say. She sinned, Christ died for those sins and by his Grace we are forgiven because he was nailed to the Cross.

So she spoke to her Mom at 7pm and then took off. How selfish and cruel:(

I usually don't come on here on the weekends but I couldn't wait til Mon..

1st: A BIG APOLOGY TO MR. JOHN MASON FROM ME!!!

2nd: I have no pity for that obviously troubled woman. It just pisses me off to no end! Sorry JMO

quickgal said:
Which is a bizarre statement, to me, implying that your fiancee just re-nailed Jesus (my opinion only of course). This could get ugly.
bulletgirl2002 said:
It was a figuretive phrase. I heard it hundreds of times growing up and understood perfectly what he was trying to say. She sinned, Christ died for those sins and by his Grace we are forgiven because he was nailed to the Cross.
I know. It still seemed like an odd phrase to use at a time like this--very accusatory to me, and slapping the "sin" label on her right off the bat--but I suppose it is difficult to say what is normal under such circumstances. I'm Southern but Catholic ;)

I have some Southern roots and understand his statement, but I think there's a difference between a sin and mental issues, which it seems she may have. John is obviously embarrassed; he should take a deep breath and analyze the situation before marrying this woman.

I, too, think the families will see some division. J's will probably unconditionally support her, while John's may take a step backward. His family, with the status that they have in Duluth, are probably embarrassed.

So, other than costing a ton of money to the families, bridesmaid, ushers, everyone involved, plus the money spent by LE and the FBI, Jennifer has probably created a rift between the families. I would guess she has also alienated a few friends and acquaintances. J has also angered a few people who have had REAL missing persons in their families.

I realize an adult can disappear anytime they wish and that she did not call the police nor give them a false statement. It's too bad she won't be charged. I'm glad she wasn't a statistic, but I have no sympathy for her.

I think it just proves that you have to live your life for you and not any expectations that society puts on you...she probably got second thoughts, which is basically your gut telling you "this is not right for me" but couldn't deal rationally or appropriately with the consequences - like being honest with her fiance....nothing wrong with changing your mind...it is hard at a time like this to think rationally...she was probably thinking...how do we cancel this...all these invitations, the flowers, the photographers, etc....I am not excusing this...just trying to understand this....I think she can learn a lot and grow from this....we all do things that disappoint our loved ones...we need to look at her whole life and not just this one incident.....

"We can't even jog together." -jm

"Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon it is sweet.

But the fruit of the lemon is an impossible ."

May3hem said:
Agreed, to a point.

She, and any adult, for that matter, has the right to walk away without informing anyone of our intention to do so. This is the double-edged sword of living in a free society. She didn't call herself in as a missing person, she didn't organize the searches, and she certainly didn't orchestrate the media coverage. Right up until she called 911 in Albuquerque and made up that story about being kidnapped, everything she did was technically within the law (I am unaware of any law in any district that requires one to watch the news).

As for what her behavior did to her family and friends, that is a matter for her, her family and friends.
Still think she could have left a note :rolleyes: :waitasec: :twocents: .

Who knows what will happen? It wouldn't surprise me if they end up married. You can forgive all kinds of things when you love someone. JM is probably a very decent person and would make someone a great husband. I know if my daughter or someone I love pulled this I would be pissed, relieved, but would forgive and I think she knew EXACTLY what she was doing. Probably loved every minute of the intense attention she got.

guess now all that talked so ill of the fiance can eat crow

I'm so glad she's been found!! but this was no way to handle the stress! Can't believe she would hurt her family like that.

I'm glad she's ok but,what is wrong with her? Couldn't she just call off or postpone the wedding? She scared her family and Fiance half to death. Idiot!:slap: I think she should be billed for all the manpower used in the search for her.

I'm stunned at the total selfishness of what this girl did.

OK - so we live in a free society. People can do what they like, but just because we are free to do things doesn't mean they are always good for those around us. I'm free to drink myself into a stupor tonight, but would that be good for my children or husband or myself? Not really. :bang:

My husband is chuckling today that we all rushed to judgement. I try to explain that we just care about missing people, and that it was strange that a grown woman would let her mother cry and all her friends think she was dead and let her future husband be grilled by the police.

If I were him, I wouldn't marry her till she stabilizes. Maybe in a few years. :razz:

When people go mountain climbing and the park service has to search for them, they often get charged for the cost of the search. I think the money for the wedding should go to the local police. :clap:

She must think she is Julia Roberts and her life is a movie. :boohoo: Meanwhile my husband is snickering at us all for suspecting the husband. He thinks we condemn everyone as "Scott Petersons" without a reason.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back