GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #5

Why would Jeffrey Dahmer kill his victims in his own apartment? :websleuther:

But Dahmer had no roommate and he had privacy. But this crime scene was in a vacant apt. where the suspect worked. He had to know it would come back to him. Why wouldn't he kidnap her and leave the area? It would make more sense.

Is anyone else in the area planning to try and attend some of these court appearances esp. the trial if there is one? I would like to....

I'd like to go, I live in the south suburbs, so it couldn't be every day, but I'd really like to see how this will be handled. Georgia likes to close hearings, so the public may not be allowed. Many years back I had to testify in a divorce hearing, after the judge dismissed the case for the day we were told we had to all vacate the courtroom and courthouse. When I walked out the doors to the building, I recognized a local tv reporter waiting to get in the building and I asked him why he was here. It appears the case coming into the courtroom after ours was a high profile case where a husband was accused of murdering his wife (who just wandered away after an arguement...yes, same old same old). I laughed because I recognized the family coming in, but the lightbulb didn't go off. I still don't know why they closed the court to the public. Wow, that was about 15 years ago. Any way let me know if there is anyone who wants to go.

Why would Jeffrey Dahmer kill his victims in his own apartment? :websleuther:

Dahmer had a lot of practice prior to the Milwaukee murders. He started out by disecting roadkill and then tortured and killed animals. He actually brought people back to his grandmothers basement and tortured them. He is a classic study of a serial killer. He didn't just kill his victims in his apartment, he tortured them as an experiement and saved parts of them as trophies. It was his safe zone. Same with John Wayne Gacy.

Dahmer and John Wayne Gacy did not expect to be discovered. They had lived with the smell for so long that it became normal to them. When LE walked into both of their homes they knew that the investigations they were doing was taking them into hell.

RB, if he has a juvie record may indicate he was headed in this direction, but we won't know until that info comes out.

GBI director Vernon Kennan has said from the outset that the evidence to be processed was plentiful, that it was 'mammoth case' and that RB's indictment might be in January or later.

http://www.ledgernews.com/news/1108...e-case-not-presented-to-grand-jury?format=pdf

This article implies there is A grand jury session on the calendar for January: "The county grand jury is convening Monday, Mills said, but it’s more likely that prosecutors won’t be ready to present the case until the grand jury’s January session."http://canton-ga.patch.com/articles/video-brunn-s-first-court-appearance#video-8655390

I looked up the calendar. It appears they don't even convene until the 9th of January ... which hasn't even happened yet. So they would have either had to rush it a few days after they arrested him, or wait until this coming Monday--at the soonest.

http://www.cherokeega.com/departments/clerkofcourts/uploads/File/Superior_Court_2012_Calendar.pdf

They've been saying the wait would be this long since the beginning. The wait, IMO, has nothing to do with lack of evidence and the wrong man, but has everything to do with having all evidence together for multiple charges, having all results processed, and then waiting for the GJ to reconvene after the holidays.

But Dahmer had no roommate and he had privacy. But this crime scene was in a vacant apt. where the suspect worked. He had to know it would come back to him. Why wouldn't he kidnap her and leave the area? It would make more sense.

Respectfully, where would he take her? To his mom's house in Dahlonega? To a vacant house? He had one, of sorts, in the vacant apartment. And he knew the Waste Management was coming on Monday morning to take the body away. No body, no crime, in his mind. He probably thought he'd have more time to clean up the apartment.

And why would he lie about being at Wal-Mart when Jorelys went missing? That, to me, doesn't make sense if you are innocent. And it doesn't show RB to have great intelligence. If he were innocent, he would have told the truth. If he were guilty and intelligent, he'd know that no alibi was better than lying in a provable way (saying you were at a public place with video cameras in and out of the store) to the cops.

He also told neighbors that weekend he was 'nervous' about the cops going into his apartment because of the beer bottles. You can't get arrested for possession of empty beer bottles. Or for beer bottles being in your fridge. An intelligent person knows this. A side note: neigbors witnessed the cops taking evidence out of RBs apartment.

In my opinion, what 'makes sense' to us is moot. KWIM? He may have thought his idea brilliant. He has a tenth grade education, according to him. We've yet to see documentation that even that is true. He has stated he was home schooled. For all we know, he has the equivellent of a 5th grade education, a very low IQ, undiagnosed mental illness, and a sadistic violent streak that was either hidden by his family or has been sealed/expunged from his records because he was a minor. Moo! :seeya:

Grand Jury – is service for a 4 month term. Grand Jury meets the 2nd, Monday of each month usually for two days.

https://www.cherokeega.com/departme..._asked_questions_for_jury_duty_FINAL_COPY.pdf

The grand jury has to convene in order for there to be an indictment. RB was arrested on Dec 7th. That would have given the DA 2 business days to put together all the evidence and test results, etc, as the GJ would be convening the following Monday. I don't think they were even close to being done collecting evidence by the following Monday.

They haven't convened since. No meeting. No indictment. They only meet once a month. We also have no idea what the GJ 'docket' looked like before RB got himself arrested. :twocents:

A vacant apt is privacy if you have access and it's late Friday afternoon. Everyone is going home for the weekend.

I think if someone were to kidnap a child then it would be risky to take them to a car in the parking lot, especially in daylight.

BUT...

If you could pull the kidnapping off in an apartment breezeway out of site, get the child into an empty apartment, subdue them (tape, tie wraps) then it would be easy (or so you thought) A person that might attempt this would be someone that is confident of the surroundings and accesses of the apartments, an employee perhaps. This person might also know that at the end of the day on Friday his coworkers would be ready to leave the complex for the weekend. My experience says that a maintenance crew of say 3 people usually 2 of them live elsewhere or off site. This would give Ryan the entire weekend to utilize and then clean the empty apartment.

What Ryan didn't figure.

Jorelys is reported missing and it all comes unraveled immediately.

It's not like someone is missing a Dog or a Cat and people just figure they will make some signs and look for her tomorrow (or was it almost like that?)

The complex was swarming with Cops and everyone was a suspect. The Cops were going to search every last apartment over the weekend including the vacant apartments.

He had to act, cover his tracks that night.

Friday night.

IMHO of course but I don't think they have their man . . . wish we knew more !

:fence:

I'm kind of leaning the other way. I think they have their man.

Why?

Because this is 2012 and this is the GBI, this is what these people do.

This is by no means Mickey Mouse.

What Ryan didn't figure.

Jorelys is reported missing and it all comes unraveled immediately.

It's not like someone is missing a Dog or a Cat and people just figure they will make some signs and look for her tomorrow (or was it almost like that?)

Which goes to show IMO that either the killer had to have been watching her long enough to know that she was unsupervised enough for someone to grab her and give them some time, OR he was really that stupid and it was a whim act.

http://criminal.lawyers.com/expungements/Criminal-Law--Expungement-FAQ.html
"Q: Are juvenile records expunged?
A: Most states have laws that allow, or even require, juvenile records to be expunged once the juvenile reaches a certain age. In some cases, the records are destroyed. Sometimes they are simply "sealed" or hidden from the public.
In many states, juvenile records are sealed automatically and immediately. These laws allow a minor who has committed criminal or delinquent acts, to erase his record permanently, usually at the age of 17 or 18. The idea is to allow the youth offender to enter adulthood with a "clean slate," shielding him from the negative effects of having a criminal record."

I agree with you Katydid, I think it odd someone would start with brutal rape and murder -I think there's more to his story, and it will come from LE, not his family and friends. JMO

Here is what I found on Expungement for New York.

http://www./new-york/expungement/

It appears that in New York and Georgia. Juvenile Sex Offenders are not required to register under Title I (the sex offender registration notification act or SORNA) unless they are convicted in adult court. Below is a very useful website, however I am not finding much info on expungement of Juvenile Sex Offenders in Georgia

http://www.njjn.org/uploads/digital_library/SNAPSHOT_web10-28.pdf

Here is a site on how Georgia treats those juveniles who have committed and been convicted of sex, domestic violence, or predatory acts. This is a small amount of info but goto:

http://www.beforeyouplea.com/ga

I had the opportunity to read Ryan's fb page before it poofed. IMO, he seemed very immature for his age, as well as, socially inept. I think we may find that Ryan had "issues" as a juvenile.

LE has charged the right person and I believe he acted alone. His lack of sophistication in planning/committing this horrible crime, is just that. I suspect he observed Jorelys, maybe saw that she had a great deal of freedom in roaming the complex. Or maybe it wasn't even specifically her he thought about, sweet little Jorelys was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. His planning probably only consisted of the fantasy he acted out in his head. It didn't include many details on how he would clean/coverup a murder.

Thank goodness LE searched that particular dumpster before it was taken to the landfill!!

Which goes to show IMO that either the killer had to have been watching her long enough to know that she was unsupervised enough for someone to grab her and give them some time, OR he was really that stupid and it was a whim act.

The LAST THING I'm going to do is blame Jorely's Mother I truely believe there is nothing that she could have done to prevent this but it is likely true that she did give Jorelys a bit of freedom.

As far as your statement.

IMO that either the killer had to have been watching her long enough to know that she was unsupervised enough for someone to grab her and give them some time, OR he was really that stupid and it was a whim act.

You forgot option three.

BOTH

The LAST THING I'm going to do is blame Jorely's Mother I truely believe there is nothing that she could have done to prevent this but it is likely true that she did give Jorelys a bit of freedom.

I am not blaming Jorelys mom at all. I know prior to this, I have given my children freedom that I thought was completely safe, and to be honest, LESS SAFE than what Jorelys had. The playground was in full view of her apartment! (from what I have seen from the news reports) I've let mine walk down the street and out of my sight but you can be sure that will never happen again. In fact, I would even consider chipping my kids...at this point, Big Brother is a lot more appealing.

And yes, there is that option 3 of BOTH. Whoever it is, let me have 10 minutes with him and save the taxpayers a ton of money.

Oh, BTW, was there ever really a 12 year old boy who had gone missing from that apartment? RB had mentioned it, did anyone find any details about it?

GBI director Vernon Kennan has said from the outset that the evidence to be processed was plentiful, that it was 'mammoth case' and that RB's indictment might be in January or later.

http://www.ledgernews.com/news/1108...e-case-not-presented-to-grand-jury?format=pdf

This article implies there is A grand jury session on the calendar for January: "The county grand jury is convening Monday, Mills said, but it’s more likely that prosecutors won’t be ready to present the case until the grand jury’s January session."http://canton-ga.patch.com/articles/video-brunn-s-first-court-appearance#video-8655390

I looked up the calendar. It appears they don't even convene until the 9th of January ... which hasn't even happened yet. So they would have either had to rush it a few days after they arrested him, or wait until this coming Monday--at the soonest.

http://www.cherokeega.com/departments/clerkofcourts/uploads/File/Superior_Court_2012_Calendar.pdf

They've been saying the wait would be this long since the beginning. The wait, IMO, has nothing to do with lack of evidence and the wrong man, but has everything to do with having all evidence together for multiple charges, having all results processed, and then waiting for the GJ to reconvene after the holidays.

I am not the least bit worried about this case. I absolutely believe they have the right man and no one else is involved, imo.

But what LE usually does is they will fast track one or two pieces of evidence they have and once they get those results then the lead detective will tell the GJ what they have uncovered. For example, if they have either the bludgeoning weapon or the knife it will be tested to see if it has Jorelys' DNA on it and that will be more than enough for the GJ to hand down an indictment. Or if he left a bloody fingerprint at the murder scene that can usually come back rather quickly also. Once arrested his DNA profile was taken.

Now LE said they have a lot of evidence so once the indictment is secure they will continue to send forensics to the GBI or FBI for testing and that can go on for several months.

At one time the GBI was terribly backlogged but they have been better on getting the lab results back especially in high profile cases. They did so in the Guy Heinz Jr. mass murder case out of Brunswick and that is a death penalty case.

So I imagine it will not be long before the GJ hands down a true bill on Brunn. They will probably indict him on kidnapping, first degree murder and sexual assault or rape of a child.

IMO

His sister makes some interesting points, as does the woman who discussed the Internal Report.

How do we KNOW that this kid wasn't set up by the real perp. As she said, if another maintenance worker asks you to go clean up a vacant apt and gives you the key, then you might have the key still in your possession and leave your own DNA behind. And do they KNOW those bloody shoes were really his shoes? Even if they were his, someone could easily frame him by putting them in the dumpster themselves , or wearing them during the crime.

I only wonder because there was no other record in this kids past of anything at all like this. I really hope they are checking out everyone else as well.

There doesnt have to be anything in his past history. A lot of murderers/rapists committ the ultimate violent act the first time they offend.

I imagine he may have sexually abused other young family members and they never told anyone. Or he could have fantasized about this for quite awhile and then acted upon those fantasies.

Maybe he felt he couldnt do it as long as he lived at home but once out on his own he had more freedom and power.

IMO

I hope the indictment happens on Monday.

Technically, the Q&A doc I linked said they (GJ) meet once a month for two days, so Monday or Tuesday (this month would be the 9th and 10th.) And previous early articles (written the day after he was arrested) made it sound like the January session would be the earliest he'd be indicted. But I agree wholehearted with your sentiment! :rocker:

I'm not worried. I really don't believe the GBI would make an arrest that quickly, pre-indictment, unless they were very, very sure.

People have thrown up the Richard Jewell thing, but Richard Jewell was never arrested. They may have been looking at the wrong person, but they didn't arrest him.

Ryan's very much arrested. And the GBI seems very comfy about it. :twocents:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz