GA - Lashawn Thompson, 35, dies of negligence and horrific abuse while in jail awaiting trial on misdemeanor charge, Fulton Co., 14 Apr 2023

This sheriff's department (under THIS sheriff) stole from the inmates welfare fund to the tune of hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of dollars. Hence my belief that Labat should no longer be serving as sheriff. This all happened under his leadership and if he didn't know he is incompetent and if he did he is a thief. Either way, he needs to be fired. MOO
----------------------------------------------------------
Channel 2 Action News tallied roughly $2.25 million tied to sheriff’s office vehicles or what appear to be vehicle-related expenses.

Of those expenses, two specific line items for inmate transport vehicles and inmate transport buses, totaled slightly less than $500,000.

“Even if the ordinance is vague, do you believe that any vehicles for the sheriff’s office were intended to come out of the inmate welfare fund?” Winne asked. “Well again, a lot of them were purchased out of the wrong fund and to that extent there stands the potential for that vehicle to be assigned specifically to detainees,” LaBat responded.
Hundreds of thousands intended for Fulton Co. inmate welfare misspent on gift cards, uniforms, more

As if the excuse "well they accidently used the wrong funds but potentially we might eventually use one of those vehicles to transport a detainee so maybe we can justify having taken the money form the inmate welfare fund to buy them" is acceptable.

pffft
There Sheriff is elected so he can't be fired. But you would think the DA would all over this or calling for a special prosecutor to look in to it.

Hundreds of thousands intended for Fulton Co. inmate welfare misspent on gift cards, uniforms, more

As if the excuse "well they accidently used the wrong funds but potentially we might eventually use one of those vehicles to transport a detainee so maybe we can justify having taken the money form the inmate welfare fund to buy them" is acceptable.

pffft

rsbm bbm

Perhaps this sounds like me potentially expressing an opinion (hypothetically) about how a crime situation might have happened here on Websleuths!!!

jmho ymmv lrr

That report is just stunning! How is this going on? The defense attorney quoted is a bit wrong, or maybe not taken in context. There is plenty that could be done legally on behalf of these inmates, their are civil processes that could get them out of jail quickly, ie Habeas petitions. But undoubtedly the overwhelming majority of these inmates are to be represented by public defenders who maybe aren't empowered to do anything until an indictment. How does a prosecutor have people arrested and jailed and then just leave them there? Do the Courts not keep track of who is in jail and what the status is? The situation in Fulton is certainly not how things are run in the jurisdictions I have practiced in. Where is the federal DOJ? There are all sorts of civil rights violations here.

That report is just stunning! How is this going on? The defense attorney quoted is a bit wrong, or maybe not taken in context. There is plenty that could be done legally on behalf of these inmates, their are civil processes that could get them out of jail quickly, ie Habeas petitions. But undoubtedly the overwhelming majority of these inmates are to be represented by public defenders who maybe aren't empowered to do anything until an indictment. How does a prosecutor have people arrested and jailed and then just leave them there? Do the Courts not keep track of who is in jail and what the status is? The situation in Fulton is certainly not how things are run in the jurisdictions I have practiced in. Where is the federal DOJ? There are all sorts of civil rights violations here.
It’s insane!!!!

Now Clayton County jails (also Atlanta area)...
Who runs our jails? And do we need that many people behind bars? I understand murder, but some petty crimes? I think people get livid in jail.

Who runs our jails? And do we need that many people behind bars? I understand murder, but some petty crimes? I think people get livid in jail.
The County Sheriff typically runs the jail and is responsible for its conditions. But the Sheriff isn't in charge of who is put in the jail or how long they stay there. That is in the hands of the Courts and the local prosecutors.
Looking at the Fulton County issues, there is failure at all levels right now, it appears. The jail conditions are horrific it sounds. But there are people backing up there for extended times for failures on the DA to move cases along, and Courts that don't seem to be overseeing anything. People being held months, a year with no formal charges? How is that even possible?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000
Back