GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They haven't said what he stole, but they did say they were "personal" items.

If a person is socially awkward, why on earth would they be going to college to be an attorney? I don't get it.

You know, I have know idea what so ever if he did or did not do this. I can say though that I have been around many highly intelligent people who have difficulty functioning in social settings. I can think of several off the top of my head without much effort, several doctors, an attorney and a nurse. Another in particular graduated from an Ivy League school most recently with a degree in bio-chemistry at the age of 20. To hold a conversation with him is nearly impossible, and his manners are horrific but, I look for him to be very successful. I can promise if you met him, you would consider him to be "odd".

You know, I have know idea what so ever if he did or did not do this. I can say though that I have been around many highly intelligent people who have difficulty functioning in social settings. I can think of several off the top of my head without much effort, several doctors, an attorney and a nurse. Another in particular graduated from an Ivy League school most recently with a degree in bio-chemistry at the age of 20. To hold a conversation with him is nearly impossible, and his manners are horrific but, I look for him to be very successful. I can promise if you met him, you would consider him to be "odd".

I guess my point is, that if he is working on becoming a lawyer or judge, I just can't imagine him being effective in articulating himself with his poor communication skills.

I guess my point is, that if he is working on becoming a lawyer or judge, I just can't imagine him being effective in articulating himself with his poor communication skills.

Oral communication skills would be paramount if he were going to be a litigator or a judge as you mention but there are many legal jobs out there where the job is all about written communication. If he were writing or editing contracts, his oral skills might not matter.

Also, this is a guy that (depending on what you believe) was either just told his neighbor was dead for the first time or was involved in it. I don't think you can know how he normally comes across.

Oral communication skills would be paramount if he were going to be a litigator or a judge as you mention but there are many legal jobs out there where the job is all about written communication. If he were writing or editing contracts, his oral skills might not matter.

That's a good point. That's why I was asking. I didn't know what other jobs he could pursue.

Also, this is a guy that (depending on what you believe) was either just told his neighbor was dead for the first time or was involved in it. I don't think you can know how he normally comes across.

I saw the uncut version of the interview that they showed on the first day that her body was found (before they arrested him), and my first thought was, "this is so fake." I could be wrong, but that was my first thought.

If she were attacked out on some running trail then Im not sure why her body, or at least part of it, would be back at her apartment. The killer most likely would not kill her somewhere else, dismember the body then take it back to where she lived. I imagine if she were attacked out somewhere running, like Chelsea King, she would have been disposed of like Chelsea.

Well that assumes it was a stranger, could also be someone that knew her habits and decided it would be easiest to target her when she was out running. But the police also said they thought she was likely killed in the apartment, another poster here mentioned blood evidence. Would make no sense to target her on a running trail then take her back to her apartment for the murder. Maybe they changed that theory.

That would explain the missing Mercer ID, runners would carry some ID but no cell phone? In one article the mother says the ghetto was 2 blocks away, she may not have meant that literally but the point is clear. Macon is very high crime; a lone unarmed female jogging around Macon at night without so much as a cell phone would be taking incredible risks.

I saw the uncut version of the interview that they showed on the first day that her body was found (before they arrested him), and my first thought was, "this is so fake." I could be wrong, but that was my first thought.

The audio sounds amazingly authentic. The breathing, voice inflections, the points of emotion....very very convincing in my mind. He is either a socially awkward misfit OR an incredibly good actor, but being both is not plausible.

The audio sounds amazingly authentic. The breathing, voice inflections, the points of emotion....very very convincing in my mind. He is either a socially awkward misfit OR an incredibly good actor, but being both is not plausible.

Why couldn't he be both? I've known plenty of actors/actresses who weren't the most socially savvy. Sure most are very outgoing and friendly, but I do think it's plausible. JMO

And I did think that it's very possible the emotion IS real, just not the reason for it. Fear of life in prison or just people knowing what kind of crime had been committed (whether premeditated or not), or maybe the reality of what someone had done finally sinking in would be enough, IMO, to rattle the emotional cages and give a very authentic tone to any interviews or exchanges one might have.

Why couldn't he be both? I've known plenty of actors/actresses who weren't the most socially savvy. Sure most are very outgoing and friendly, but I do think it's plausible. JMO

Because even really great actors rehearse. If he did this he very carefully planned it out (the crime), and if that was an acting job he carefully rehearsed what he would say and how he would appear when he was voluntarily interviewed by reporters.

Being smart enough to pull off this crime, and being smart/talented enough to act that well would imply he would come off a whole lot better (i.e. far less weird). If he had planned this, if he was that good of an actor, he wouldn't be the subject of such ridicule right now. The police say he admitted to these "taking property" accusations, if McDaniels was the killer why in the heck would he admit to anything? He would be very very careful and defensive and he has a law degree!

The Bibb County Jail is NOT a fun place for skinny young white boys, if he killed her he would be darn careful not to do or say anything that could land in him jail, but if he didn't, if he is socially awkward, he might admit to stupid stuff and think they won't lock him up cause " the nice officers explained they are just ruling people out and since he has nothing to hide he can be totally honest etc...they appreciate his helpfulness and how much info he shares....they can tell he cares and they totally understand if he visited other friend's apartments". Oh and from what I understand they haven't "located" these burglary victims, nor have the "victims" filed charges, they are working on that but progressing slowly.

Classic rule of criminal interrogations; guilty people stonewall, they don't gush, they are on the defensive.

Precious memories of Lauren shared by her Mom.
Kudos to Joe Kovac, beautifully written.
I have great admiration for her family's courage and continue to hold them in my prayers.

“Right after her death, none of us wanted to come here. We were like, ‘We never want to see Macon again.’ Now I don’t feel like that,” Karen said.

“I’m getting a lot of peace from being here,” she said, meaning on the patio, outside and away from the task at hand inside Apartment No. 2, where Lauren’s uncle George, her father and her sisters were going through Lauren’s belongings. “I’m OK out here. In there ...”

The mother’s voice trailed off.

http://www.wmac-am.com/includes/news...oclockhour.mp3.

Transcript of NewTalk Central 940 WMAC's Kenny B with Reporter Michelle Quezada on July 7, 2011 at 7:30 a.m. Some of the name spellings may be incorrect because I'm not taking time to check each one.

Part I:

KENNY: Welcome to NewsTalk Central. It is 7:30, half past seven. We're the hosts of the show. I'm Kenny B.

CHARLES: I'm Charles E.

KENNY: And if you'd like to join us, 742-**** will get you through. We're joined on set this morning by Reporter Michelle Quezada from NewsCentral. Good to have you here with us early this morning.

MICHELLE: I know, right. Good to be here.

KENNY: Yeah, welcome. Last week, Thursday, a week ago, you spoke -- and you and a videgrapher were on the scene at Georgia Avenue. You spoke with Stephen McDaniel.

MICHELLE: Yes.

KENNY: He is the young man charged two counts of burglary by Macon police, being held without bond in the Bibb County Jail. He will go before a superior court next Thursday.

MICHELLE: Uh-huh.

KENNY: McDaniel accused of entering two apartments through unlocked doors between Christmas '08 and January 2009. If you would, tell us how you came up on Stephen McDaniel when you arrived on the scene of Georgia Avenue last week after the body was discovered.

MICHELLE: Okay. Well, first of all, we were on the scene for quite some time. I mean, they had brought out the body around 10 a.m. We had been there since -- I think Officer (inaudible) Perry had been out there since 9:30 maybe. And Tyler Southern, our meteorologist and reporter, came out with me. Perry then left and we stayed there to cover the story.

And I mean the body -- they took out the body. You know, we were out there for a really long time. I think it was around one or two p.m. when Stephen McDaniel came out. And he wasn't at the apartment the entire time, from what I understand from his interview. He was being questioned by police with some other friends of Lauren Giddings. And then he arrived to the scene.

And I was speaking to an employee over at the AT&T building next door, talking about, you know, what he had seen, what he had heard. And our photographer, Tyler Southern, was able to grab Stephen McDaniel. So from what Tyler told me, he was very forthcoming. He was like "Yeah, you know, I'll talk to you." And we pulled him to the side, and he just started -- we asked him his name. He just started talking to us.

At this point, when we show you the video of the interview, you'll see that he was not aware that a body was recovered from the scene. So he was talking to us about Lauren Giddings being missing and how they had been searching for her and all that.

KENNY: He had identified himself to you and the other members of the press that he was a neighbor to Lauren Giddings.

MICHELLE: Yeah. We had asked him if he knew the person who lived on Apartment 4. He said, "Yeah, that's my neighbor, Lauren Giddings."

KENNY: All right. Could you set up this first video piece that we're about to see --

MICHELLE: Sure.

KENNY: -- interviewing Stephen McDaniel.

MICHELLE: Sure. So this is the beginning of the interview when he first comes up to us. We asked him his name. You know, we asked him if he
-- how do you know Lauren Giddings, and he starts pretty much telling us about her.

KENNY: All right, guys, if you'll roll that video.

(Continued)

Transcript of NewTalk Central 940 WMAC's Kenny B with Reporter Michelle Quezada on July 7, 2011 at 7:30 a.m.

Part 2:

(Videotape being played)

MICHELLE: (Inaudible)

MCDANIEL: Yeah. Lauren was my neighbor. We're just trying to find out where she is at this point. I mean, no one has seen her since Saturday. The last time anyone heard from her was an e-mail that she sent out, and no one's heard from her since.

MICHELLE: Did you see her hang out with anyone at the time, anything like that?

MCDANIEL: I'm -- no, no one has seen her since Saturday. I haven't seen anything. I'm always hearing noise outside, but it's people walking by pretty much.

MICHELLE: And you -- she just recently graduated from Mercer?

MCDANIEL: Yeah. She and I were -- we were both JD students. We graduated back in May.

MICHELLE: What kind of person was she? I mean, how did you -- what did you --

MCDANIEL: I mean, she's nice as can be, I mean, very personable, very much a people person.

MICHELLE: Do you know anybody that -- any enemies she might've had, somebody that might want to hurt her?

MCDANIEL: No. I'm -- we're -- we don't know where she is. I mean, the only thing we can think is that maybe she went out running and someone snatched her, because I'm -- we went -- we went over -- one of her friends had a key. We went inside and tried to see if there was anything amiss, but the -- she had a door jamb that was sitting right by it. So there was no sign that anyone broke in. I mean, the door was locked when everyone got here. I mean, we just don't know where she is.

MICHELLE: What about in like the parking lot area? I know they've been doing a lot of -- I think that's where they have recovered the body or whatever they recovered from there.

MCDANIEL: Body?

MICHELLE: Had you heard -- had you seen anything there? Had you (inaudible)?

MCDANIEL: I --

MICHELLE: I mean, we don't know if this is the same person. You know what I mean? Like they took out a body. We don't know if it's the same person or not. (Inaudible) know who lived there. Are you okay, sir?

MCDANIEL: I think I need to sit down.

MICHELLE: Okay.

(End of videotape being played)

KENNY: Okay. That's the first clip of video Michelle Quezada did with Stephen McDaniel last Thursday.

KENNY: A week ago. Did he seem genuinely upset with the fact that a body had discovered?

MICHELLE: Yeah, definitely. I mean, his expression -- as you see in the beginning of the interview, he's very forthcoming with information. You know, he's calm. At this point he only thinks that she's missing. So I guess he's, you know, just offering information, anything that he can do to help. And then as soon as I mention the body -- which I assumed that he already knew since everyone had been out there since 10 a.m., it had been all over the news, all over the Web. And I guess he had been pulled in for questioning and police -- I don't know what police have told him, police had told him at that time. So I guess no one had informed him that a body was recovered.

KENNY: All right. Set that video. What will we see?

MICHELLE: Okay. So the second video is -- he actually gets pulled into the AT&T building next door. One of the employees brought him in, I guess to just relax for a couple of minutes after he found out about the news.

And then he comes back out maybe 20 minutes later, and I asked him if he was okay. And he came up to me and began talking again. So at this point our camera started rolling again, and he seemed receptive to it. He was not -- you know, he was not upset, saying that he didn't want to talk. So he just started talking again.

KENNY: All right. Clip two with Stephen McDaniel and Michelle Quezada from last Thursday. Guys?

(Continued)

:::respectfully snipped for length:::: parts below BBM

I can't imagine how cadavre dogs could effectively search a cemetery like that but I bet they had fun trying. I have taken my dog over there and he loves it, he is endlessly amused as there is so much to "discover" and pee on. Hours and hours and you have only covered a little bit of it, plus very quiet even on weekends.

I dunno what you mean by this, per say, but Id feel eternally condemned and wrong if I let my dog pee/desecrate people's graves...but maybe that's just me. wasn't sure if I was correct in understanding your post...are there others that do the same with their dog at the cemetery? That's kind of creepy if people wander that cemetery for their dog's amusement :dunno:

First of all yes, I think the interview was one reason they locked him up (the other being lock up someone to keep the public calm). Shut that boy down he is talking about findings etc....

Secondly the "theft" thing is vague to an extreme, the boy runs his mouth. Maybe they asked if he had ever been in other apartments when the residents were not home, and then well when you were in there what did you do? They have charged him with "removing property without a owner's knowledge" and apparently they are holding him because they are trying to FIND the neighbor and any other previous tenants that lived there the last few years; ya know that can take time right? A whole lot of time....guessing the FBI isn't helping with finding the previous tenants and seeing if they wish to press charges!

The whole "removing property" is very very vague. McDaniel might have easily had friends in the apartment, people he hung out with frequently, played video games with until 3 am (or smoked pot and watched tv with, imo), the apartments he is accused of "stealing from" were unlocked. Property could be looking for a friend and seeing cookies and eating some, or needing laundry detergent cause you ran out and you know Dan won't care if you borrow some...who knows maybe using a tissue could be construed as "taking property without the owners knowledge".

They need to charge McDaniel or release him. Honestly McDaniel breaks my heart, I just want to give that boy a hug, he has had a rough life based on the little info available, he worked hard and did the right thing and succeeded big time....and then this happens. :(

THEFT: ‘the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another’. Removing property without owner permission or knowledge is called stealing. As sensible and intelligent people we can infer that the items McD stole were items that were not the 'norm' for a single guy to have in his possession. Had the items been regular guy items, they would have gone unnoticed during the police search of his apartment. McD was charged with two counts of burglary and it was not for stealing and possessing cookies, a tissue, or laundry detergent.

INCARCERATED: McD is in jail for two counts of burglary. More importantly, lest we forget, McD is also a person of interest in the murder and dismemberment of Lauren Giddings. In the quest for justice, it is sagacious that the Macon LE incarcerate McD until the forensic results are released from Quantico.

EMBELLISHMENT & ENDEARMENT: I prefer to wait on facts before concluding McD had a 'rough life', and I will most certainly restrain from hugs and heartbreak until he is no longer a POI in the gruesome and horrific murder of his neighbor, the beautiful, intelligent Lauren Giddings.

Thank you for transcribing the tapes, Destini. Great job! Please remember to include the link.

The written words are certainly helpful, but they lack the insight gleaned from listening to the interview.

I dunno what you mean by this, per say, but Id feel eternally condemned and wrong if I let my dog pee/desecrate people's graves...but maybe that's just me. wasn't sure if I was correct in understanding your post...are there others that do the same with their dog at the cemetery? That's kind of creepy if people wander that cemetery for their dog's amusement :dunno:

Many people run their dogs at Rosehill. Not uncommon at all in Macon. It's a very pretty place, park like.

Transcript of NewTalk Central 940 WMAC's Kenny B with Reporter Michelle Quezada on July 7, 2011 at 7:30 a.m.

Part 3:

(Videotape being played)

MICHELLE: She'd been studying for the Bar?

MCDANIEL: Yeah, I -- no one had seen her since Saturday because, I mean, we all just -- there's not a whole lot of interaction unless we're doing classes.

MICHELLE: Right.

MCDANIEL: And she was doing the on-line version of it.

MICHELLE: You all studied together, though?

MCDANIEL: No. We were -- it's two different people that -- there's two companies that provide it. Kaplan provides it, and Barbri provides it. I signed up with Barbri, and I've been doing the lectures that they have in the mornings. She was doing the Kaplan on-line. So I hardly ever saw her. I would see her like go out running, but I'm --

MICHELLE: What time would she go out running?

MCDANIEL: I'm -- I don't even know when --

MICHELLE: Was it at night or morning?

MCDANIEL: I saw her like midday a couple weeks ago. I mean, that was the last time I saw her was coming back from the bar prep on the main campus, because we had moved over there for a week or two.

MICHELLE: So she normally would run, and that was --

MCDANIEL: Yeah.

MICHELLE: -- (inaudible).

MCDANIEL: Right. She ran all the time. I mean, she -- she had a group that she would go running with. I mean, I -- I don't know anyone that would want to hurt her. She was -- was as nice a person as there is.

MICHELLE: Was she moving soon? Did you know anything about that?

MCDANIEL: Yeah. She was going to be moving out today. She was supposed to move out today because someone else was going to be moving into her apartment, a new law student.

MICHELLE: Do you know if she was planning -- where is she from? Is it Maryland or --

MCDANIEL: Yeah, she's from up in Maryland.

MICHELLE: Put this on you so we can hear you. Is that all right?

MCDANIEL: Okay.

MICHELLE: I'm so sorry. Yeah, you can just (inaudible). She's from Maryland?

MCDANIEL: Yeah. I mean, she -- she was from up in Maryland. All her family was there, as far as I know. I mean, she --

MICHELLE: What's going on in your mind right now? What are you thinking?

MCDANIEL: Why would anyone do this?

MICHELLE: You didn't hear anything?

MCDANIEL: No. I --

MICHELLE: You didn't see anybody?

MCDANIEL: If I'd heard something, maybe I could've helped.

MICHELLE: Okay. Don't worry. Do you want us to stop or something, get something to drink?

Do you know if a bunch of her friends are getting together or anything?

MCDANIEL: I mean, that's how I found out that she was missing. We -- a bunch of her friends came over yesterday night around midnight, and they couldn't -- they hadn't seen her since Saturday. So they were trying to find out where she was.

MICHELLE: They were knocking on neighbor's doors and stuff?

MCDANIEL: I mean, no, they -- they went in. They had a key to her apartment. And they checked around, didn't see anything out of place. I mean, it was locked when everyone got there.

MICHELLE: That was midnight?

MCDANIEL: Yeah, around midnight. And then we -- we went over to the law school to see if maybe she was over in the library studying or something. And we looked up in the study rooms on the third floor, and there was no one there. And we came back. We looked around and tried to find any -- anything to figure out where she was.

MICHELLE: She doesn't have any family in Georgia?

MCDANIEL: I don't -- I don't know. I -- as far as I know, every -- all of her family is from in Maryland.

MICHELLE: Have you met her family before?

MCDANIEL: I mean, there was one time that I met them. They came down through here. She -- she had a little dog, a little brown dog, that she would exercise out in front of the law school. And it got hit as she was coming across the road. I -- I heard the car hit it and ran out, and she was there crying, and we -- thankfully, there was someone who came along who knew a vet or something, and they helped that. And her family came down I think a couple weeks after that or something, and I met them just briefly.

MICHELLE: Right.

MCDANIEL: But I -- we've been trying to figure out. She has a boyfriend up in Atlanta, but I'm -- someone called her -- called him, and he hadn't heard from her. And no one could figure out where she was.

MICHELLE: Who was the last (inaudible) somebody saw her on Saturday?

MCDANIEL: Yeah. She went over to a couple friends' house, Darren Mueller and Joe Carris (phonetic). They live over on Walnut. And -- and they -- they said that she was over there in the morning. And then that was the last time that anyone we've been able to find out from that seen her.

MICHELLE: She hadn't mentioned what she was going to do that day or anything?

MCDANIEL: We -- Joe, he got onto her computer last night to see if she'd sent anything. She'd sent an e-mail out to some people that afternoon talking about like going out to eat or something. And the last thing that anyone -- there was an e-mail that she sent out after 10 that night where she -- she sent it to -- I think it was someone in Atlanta, a friend of hers in Atlanta. And he -- she said that she -- she was afraid in her apartment, that she thought someone had tried to break in on Thursday night and that she -- she was afraid to stay in there. But --

MICHELLE: Where did you hear -- where did you hear that from, from Joe?

MCDANIEL: No. He pulled it up, and we read it off the screen.

MICHELLE: She had sent that to a friend in Atlanta?

MCDANIEL: Yeah. I can't remember his name, but --

MICHELLE: But you hadn't heard anything on Thursday night --

MCDANIEL: No.

MICHELLE: -- like a break-in?

MICHELLE: She never came to tell you anything?

MCDANIEL: No. I'm -- if she had, I could've done something. I -- I could've lent her a handgun. I've got a little handgun that I have for defense, and --

MICHELLE: Well, she could've heard something.

MCDANIEL: Yeah. I mean something. I mean, if she was afraid in her apartment, then I mean get her out of there.

MICHELLE: (Inaubible) break in?

MCDANIEL: That's what she said in the e-mail. She thought that someone had tried to break into her apartment. She said like "Macon hoodlums tried to break into my apartment on Thursday night."

MICHELLE: Is that her car parked there, the Chevy?

MICHELLE: Her car?

MCDANIEL: No. I think that that's the detective's car, Detective Patterson.

MICHELLE: So her car's not even there?

MCDANIEL: No. It was here earlier, and they -- they towed it. I mean, it had been there for days. And then they towed it to I guess look through, see if there was --

MICHELLE: (inaudible)

MCDANIEL: Yeah.

MICHELLE: How did you find out that something (inaudible) when you walked up a little while ago or --

MCDANIEL: No, I'm -- we -- the police were called last night, and they came. And they looked around and they didn't see anything. I mean, they went in. We looked around the place. No sign of a struggle, no sign that anyone had broken in, nothing, just she was gone. All of her stuff was there. Her ID was there. Her wallet was there. But she was -- she was just gone.

(End of videotape)

KENNY: 7:43 at NewsTalk Central. A quick break, and we'll come back in just a moment, Michelle Quezada, the reporter that spoke with Stephen McDaniel a week ago. Back in minutes here on NewsTalk Central.

(Continued)

Uhhh...yeah. In fact most of the people I saw were walking their dogs! These are Victorian Era cemeteries, they were intentionally designed to be like parks, to create an atmosphere that encourages people to visit, relax, walk around and enjoy the mausoleums and artwork and spend an afternoon in a pleasant way. The people that spent big bucks on family mausoleums and statues expected and WANTED others to enjoy and admire the memorials. Dogs are a part of that park like atmosphere, I am sure in the Victorian Era they brought their dogs along too, and yeah the dogs did pee on stuff! Folks had different view of death at that time, it was an obsession in a way, from what I have read picnics at the cemetery were a common thing in Victorian times.

The most beautiful historic cemetery in Atlanta, Oakhill, not only welcomes canines they have a water faucet with a chained dog bowl right outside of the visitors center for the convenience of thirsty dogs. They understand and respect the ideology behind Victorian Cemeteries, come by, relax, spend the afternoon. I was fortunate enough to unexpectidly visit Oakhill during a Mausoleum tour day (yeah with my dog) and we were able to enter a dozen or so crypts at Oakhill with the guides that told the stories of the families that built them. Beautiful white marble floors and walls, pristine stained glass windows, labors of love that look different from the inside.

Part 4:

KENNY: 14 till eight. This is NewsTalk Central radio, television & the Web, Fox 24 NewTalk 940 Macon dot com. I'm Kenny B.

KENNY: We were talking to Michelle Quezada. She interviewed Stephen McDaniel one week ago today. He is the young man charged with two counts of burglary from last week, held at the Bibb County Jail waiting for a bond hearing Thursday a week from today. I believe he'll be before Superior Court Judge Tripp Self.

We've got a third piece of video here. Let's do that. And after that we'll take the break and we'll come back, and we want to talk to you about some of this and you can fill in some of the gaps.

MICHELLE: Okay.

KENNY: All right. So, guys, part three of the interview Michelle did with Stephen McDaniel from a week ago.

MICHELLE: We can't hear it.

(Videotape being played)

MCDANIEL: And then this morning they knocked on my door. They were looking around trying to find anything. Then a few -- a few of the other friends -- Burpee -- Burpee and Garron and Ashley (phonetic), they were here. They were here last night, and they'd come back this morning. I just went out and talked with them, and they -- I mean, then they moved us all over to the side and they bussed us all down to the department and kept us there until -- I got back just a little while ago.

MICHELLE: They asked you questions?

MCDANIEL: Huh? Yeah. They took statements, trying to find out if anyone had seen anything, if anyone had heard anything, and the last time anyone saw her (inaudible).

MICHELLE: Now, they haven't confirmed -- at least not with us -- that it was Lauren they found. Are you holding out any hope right now?

MCDANIEL: I mean, I -- I hope, but -- I mean, if they got it on -- on the property somewhere --

MICHELLE: You hadn't heard anything about a body being recovered (inaudible)?

MCDANIEL: No. No. As far as any of us who -- they were still trying to just find her. They, I believe, got an e-mail this morning from some people that live on the other side of Kroger, on the other side of the river, that they had seen her in the past running in that area. We thought maybe someone had snatched her over there or maybe she got hurt or something.

(End of videotape)

KENNY: All right. 7:48. We're going to take a break. We'll come back and talk more with Michelle Quezada about that interview she did with Stephen McDaniel.

(Break)

KENNY: TalkCentral on Fox 24 NewsTalk 940 at Macon dot com. We host the show. I'm Kenny B.

KENNY: Speaking with Michelle Quzada, reporter with Fox 24 and ABC 16 here at Macon NewsCentral staff. And at 8:30 District Attorney Greg Winters.

We've seen the three videos. We heard the comments that were made there. Did Macon police, after your interview, want your tape?

MICHELLE: They did. Yes, they did. Actually, after his -- the first initial tape that you all saw of (inaudible), they had come up to me and was trying to find out what he had told us --

KENNY: On the scene?

MICHELLE: -- and what happened to him. On the scene, yes. And we explained, you know, that he had been shocked, he didn't know there was a body, and that he had walked away. And she just asked us about that.

And then the same day they did want a copy of our tape, which we did not give them.

KENNY: Do they have a copy of that now?

MICHELLE: They recorded the story, but everybody saw the story. It's on the Web.

KENNY: Which was a smaller --

MICHELLE: So they recorded that.

KENNY: -- portion of some of the tape of that --

MICHELLE: Right. It's maybe 10 seconds of his interview.

KENNY: Uh-huh. Has there been any follow-up conversation from the police department with you or this station in reference to that video?

MICHELLE: No. We -- we had told the police department that if they wanted a copy of the actual story -- they can get a copy of the raw video. They can only get a copy of what has been published already.

KENNY: Uh-huh.

MICHELLE: So they could -- they could've subpoenaed us to get a copy of that, but that hasn't happened.

KENNY: And obviously they could've recorded this off the air today --

MICHELLE: Right, today --

KENNY: -- if they chose, yeah --

MICHELLE: -- uh-huh. Of course.

KENNY: -- chose to do that.

When you left Stephen McDaniel that day, was he left still talking to press, or did he disappear to the -- to his apartment --

MICHELLE: I had left and started interviewing the landlord of the complex, and I think 13 and Telegraph was still questioning him for a bit.

KENNY: Stephen?

MICHELLE: Yeah.

KENNY: Got you.

CHARLES: Great reporting.

MICHELLE: Thank you.

KENNY: Absolutely great reporting. And you know what you did was of great interest to the police, obviously.

KENNY: And if nothing else, they've found Stephen McDaniel, they believe, guilty of two counts of burglary. That's the charge anyway. He remains innocent until proven otherwise.

MICHELLE: Of course.

KENNY: And he will go before a superior court judge next Thursday, Superior Court Judge Tripp Self.

Michelle, thank you very much for your work. We appreciate --

KENNY: -- you coming on and talking with us today.

MICHELLE: Sure, no problem.

KENNY: And appreciate the work you did again.

KENNY: All right, folks. Coming up at 8:30 this morning we're going to talk to the District Attorney Greg Winters. And I want to stress that this has no -- we don't want this to hint at sensationalism. This is not to shock sensabilities and to be insensitive to anyone involved, friends or family to the community. But we're going to ask tough questions, questions that people are asking. And it is the talk of conversation everywhere, everywhere you go.

(End of transcript)

Apologies if this article has been posted before...but it factual and interesting...

Some of the items sent for testing include plumbing drain traps from Giddings’ apartment and the apartment next door to hers where 25-year-old Stephen McDaniel, a fellow May law school graduate, lived.

“This is a forensic investigation. It’s not a crime scene where everything is obvious,” Stone said. “Right now we’re at a tipping point ... waiting for forensic evidence to come in.”

http://www.gadailynews.com/news/macon/69779-lauren-didn-t-really-know-what-hit-her-mother-says.html

That must be the "full house or moving on to other things" factor that a few articles have referred to. Well yeah if they can find blood/tissue in McDaniels drain trap that would be a clincher. Course if there was NO other evidence inside his apartment one would think he would have left the water running for a few days...plus add some draino/acid/ammonia. Plumbing traps are right up there with "don't leave fingerprints" and because dismemberment is a messy endeavor I just don't see every other smidgen of blood/dna being completely eliminated.

If the trap in her apartment comes up positive it is a moot point. If the trap in HIS apartment comes up positive it will be astounding, just seems really hard to believe every smidgen of blood or dna or bone fragments that might land on the walls or floor or ceiling was cleaned up but the drain trap could be overlooked.

Can't find it now but somewhere I read they will know by Monday or Tuesday.

Excellent job transcribing that interview, Destini!!! Thanks so much! :great:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member