GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #15 *appeals denied*

[FONT=&amp]Confessed killer in Lauren Giddings murder may seek long-shot appeal

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[FONT=&amp]BY AMY LEIGH WOMACK AND JOE KOVAC JR.
breaking@macon.com
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]AUGUST 15, 2017 1:35 PM

http://www.macon.com/news/local/crime/article167304292.html[/FONT]

[/FONT]
Stephen%20McDaniel

[FONT=&amp]A gaunt-looking Stephen McDaniel in a recent photo after his move to a state prison hospital in Augusta. It isn’t clear why he is being treated there.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Georgia Department of Corrections

McDaniel%20Filing%20Image

The first page of a handwritten court filing that Stephen McDaniel recently wrote.
Joe Kovac Jr. jkovac@macon.com

McDaniel waived nearly all his appellate rights when he accepted a plea bargain.

About all that is left for him to attack is whether his plea was voluntary or if his lawyers somehow failed to provide him effective assistance.

When asked the other day about the Hail Mary nature of McDaniel’s apparent maneuverings, Bibb District Attorney David Cooke, who led the case against McDaniel, said he doesn’t expect McDaniel to be granted a new trial.

“Mr. McDaniel was well represented by excellent attorneys. … I don’t think it’s useful to hypothesize about this unlikely occurrence,” Cooke said.

[/FONT]http://www.macon.com/news/local/crime/article167304292.html

I awoke at 4:00 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. I read the latest article and the letter from Stephen. This doesn't surprise me in the least. He still thinks he is the smartest person in the room. I will never forget the interview, the circumstances of her disappearance, and the heartbreak that he has caused. He never thought he would get caught. He chose a woman that was well-loved and missed immediately. He is seriously one crazy dude! He makes me ill.

I awoke at 4:00 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. I read the latest article and the letter from Stephen. This doesn't surprise me in the least. He still thinks he is the smartest person in the room. I will never forget the interview, the circumstances of her disappearance, and the heartbreak that he has caused. He never thought he would get caught. He chose a woman that was well-loved and missed immediately. He is seriously one crazy dude! He makes me ill.

Don't lose any more sleep cocomod. McDaniel is mentally ill and grasping at straws, he'll not succeed in getting an appeal.

No disrespect intended, but do you remember his Mother & Sister? Clearly the family has some mental health issues.

This vile is attempting to obtain Laurens computer images that he stole before he murdered her, along with the child *advertiser censored* that he had.

He is alleging his lawyers are withholding evidence from his case - which they are - and they refuse to give the images to him or anyone.

This is turning my stomach this morning.

http://www.macon.com/news/local/crime/article173485541.html

Several Things...First I will never ever forget this case, as the rest of you as well Im sure, I was in the area at this time, I will never forget the aliens interview that tipped off the authorities, I will never forget how they duaghters tried to protect their mother from the truth early on, I will never forget how I felt as a mother and how Mrs Giddings coped with this at all....and the father and rest of the family......

Secondly, I was the landfill dropping offa ahuge object yesterday and when I got out to unload it amongst the rubble that was peeping thru the dirt from being covered up, I saw a mangled mess of HAIR, looked like human hair of a female, could have been a wig but my thoughts went to Lauren tho the color was dishwater blonde with black undersides it appeared

thirdly, I still wonder from time to time especially in areas that remind me of this case, where the remains of her are.....that said to say that the spring street exit is being reconstructed, DOT has cleared all of the roadside underbrush from the ocmulgee river to the current exit to construct a new and larger exit (we know the current one is a mess and not near big enough) I used to want to search that area of underbrush between the river and I 16 at the exit which is just basically around the corner from her apartment and closer even to the zaxby's she last visited....and now as I pass by it often know thus far that her remains were not there or have not yet been discovered if so

Fourthly....bodies have been dumped all along I85 in the south over the years, interestingly enough, one section of I85 is near Lilburn GA where SM is from.....http://www.11alive.com/article/news...-of-bodies-hidden-in-plain-sight/85-477611044

Fifthly, that enlarged photo from the link is quite disturbing!! His appeal is a joke and unbelievable

Prayers still for the Giddings family, things in my past, minor in nature have haunted me.....I dont know how Mom copes. God bless her

One of the strangest and most macabre murders in modern Macon history took another twist Wednesday as the father of confessed-and-convicted dismemberment killer Stephen McDaniel spoke to reporters about how cops, prosecutors and defense lawyers may have wronged his son.

Mark W. McDaniel, 64, stood before reporters from a pair of Macon television news outlets and laid out his son’s case for an appeal in the 2011 slaying of fellow Mercer University law graduate Lauren Giddings.
The senior McDaniel, who in the past has worked as a house painter, has rarely, if ever, talked publicly about the case against his son. But on Wednesday, for half an hour or so, Mark McDaniel detailed the contents of his son’s habeas corpus petition, a form of appeal, that his son filed Tuesday.

“We’re hoping that the truth will come out,” the father said in a news conference streamed by TV stations WMGT and WGXA, noting alleged “improprieties and misconduct” by the authorities who jailed and convicted his son.
http://www.macon.com/news/local/crime/article201365834.html

[FONT=&quot]MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – Lauren Giddings’ sister, Kaitlyn Wheeler, told 41NBC she’s ‘not surprised’ Stephen McDaniel filed a petition for a new trial.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]41NBC reached out to Wheeler, who lives in Maryland, Thursday morning for a response to McDaniel’s petition. Wheeler says they have no comment at the moment, but the family is not surprised that McDaniel would try to get a new trial.
https://www.41nbc.com/2018/02/22/lauren-giddings-sister-not-surprised-laurens-killer-filed-petition/[/FONT]

UNBELIEVABLE ! This father's reaction is precisely why SM is the murderer he is.

I listened to a bit of his diatribe, but got busy and didn't go back. I remember we heard quite a bit from Glenda McDaniel at the beginning of this case, but very little from Mark. He's making up for lost time?

At any rate, I'm sorry Lauren's family has to be further traumatized by this nonsense. I'll never forget this case, ever!

[FONT=&amp]The contentious-yet-tenuous legal wranglings of Stephen McDaniel continue to confound and hassle some of the very people who helped keep him off death row...

In 2014, McDaniel, now 32, pleaded guilty and described in open court his version of how Giddings was slain. Earlier this year, though, in a last-ditch form of appeal that he filed from prison, McDaniel claimed that the police and prosecutors — and his own lawyers — may have wronged him.

Then last Wednesday, on what would have been Giddings’ 34th birthday, McDaniel, in a handwritten civil filing claiming legal malpractice, sued one of his former defense attorneys for upward of $200,000. McDaniel’s lawsuit contends that Macon lawyer Floyd Buford mishandled a wrongful-death lawsuit that Giddings’ parents filed against McDaniel after the killing.

[/FONT]
http://www.macon.com/news/local/crime/article209814454.html
[FONT=&amp]April 26, 2018[/FONT]

It is worth noting that Buford was part of a defense team that may have spared McDaniel’s life. Prosecutors initially sought the death penalty against McDaniel and, in the end, they agreed to a guilty plea in exchange for a mandatory 30-year prison term, but with a chance for McDaniel to one day walk free.

Asked about the legal maneuverings of his former client, Buford said, “I’m dealing with a confessed killer who has a legal education and who apparently has a lot of time on his hands. I did an excellent job for him, and it is regrettable and sad that he refuses to accept responsibility for his actions.”
Confessed killer in Lauren Giddings dismemberment murder sues lawyer for malpractice

...Mark McDaniel set up a GO fund ME acct for his son's legal defense...….ZERO contributors this far.....He really is sick, complaining he cant see his family and siblings.......what about the horrendous act committed on LG and against her family......sicko page raising money for Lauren Giddings' killer

Last edited:
As confessed killer Stephen McDaniel appeals, his ex-lawyer reveals grisly new details
By Joe Kovac Jr.

jkovac@macon.com

August 17, 2018 07:11 PM

Augusta, Ga
Stephen Mark McDaniel, a confessed killer with a law degree who four years ago pleaded guilty in one of the highest-profile murder cases in Middle Georgia history, had another day in court Friday.

This time he put his legal schooling to work for himself, serving as his own attorney in a last-ditch appeal aimed at winning him the trial that four years ago he chose not to have.

Friday’s proceeding almost assuredly did not go the way McDaniel had intended. Try as he might to avoid them, shocking and gruesome new details of his dismemberment slaying emerged from the mouth of a man who had once been his defense attorney.

Read more here: As confessed killer Stephen McDaniel appeals, his ex-lawyer reveals grisly new details

He's had plenty of time to think about it......if he'd been in prison concentrating on his degree back then, he wouldnt have met or had time to kill anyone...…..now he's occupied and needs to be seen, feel important and his parents, so sad, they sit there and support him as if he's been wronged

sick

thanks for updates
As confessed killer Stephen McDaniel appeals, his ex-lawyer reveals grisly new details
By Joe Kovac Jr.

jkovac@macon.com

August 17, 2018 07:11 PM

Augusta, Ga
Stephen Mark McDaniel, a confessed killer with a law degree who four years ago pleaded guilty in one of the highest-profile murder cases in Middle Georgia history, had another day in court Friday.

This time he put his legal schooling to work for himself, serving as his own attorney in a last-ditch appeal aimed at winning him the trial that four years ago he chose not to have.

Friday’s proceeding almost assuredly did not go the way McDaniel had intended. Try as he might to avoid them, shocking and gruesome new details of his dismemberment slaying emerged from the mouth of a man who had once been his defense attorney.

Read more here: As confessed killer Stephen McDaniel appeals, his ex-lawyer reveals grisly new details

Is this what the authors of our constitution envisioned? Is anyone else incredulous that McDaniel even has this opportunity? He plead guilty, described in detail how he murdered Lauren. I'm sickened by the pictures of him in the courtroom. His parents sitting in the front row? Are they proud of their son's representation of himself? A go fund me page titled justice for Stephen McDaniel, really? Are McDaniel's parents also mentally ill? He committed and confessed to a heinous murder, was spared the death penalty; that was his justice.

Lauren's case will be on Dateline tonight. Which prompted me to search for McDaniel ...

NAME: MCDANIEL, STEPHEN MARK
GDC ID: 1001291310
1001291310.jpg

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
YOB: 1985
RACE: WHITE
HEIGHT: 6'00''
WEIGHT: 128
EYE COLOR: BLUE
HAIR COLOR: BROWN

SCARS, MARKS, TATTOOS

INCARCERATION DETAILS
MAJOR OFFENSE: MURDER
MOST RECENT INSTITUTION: HANCOCK STATE PRISON
MAX POSSIBLE RELEASE DATE: LIFE

ACTUAL RELEASE DATE: CURRENTLY SERVING
CURRENT STATUS: ACTIVE

KNOWN ALIASES
A.K.A. MCDANIEL,STEPHEN MARK

STATE OF GEORGIA - CURRENT SENTENCES
CASE NO: 788324
OFFENSE: MURDER
CONVICTION COUNTY: BIBB COUNTY
CRIME COMMIT DATE: 06/25/2011
SENTENCE LENGTH: NOT AVAILABLE

STATE OF GEORGIA - PRIOR SENTENCES
STATE OF GEORGIA - INCARCERATION HISTORY

INCARCERATION BEGIN: 04/22/2014
INCARCERATION END: ACTIVE

Has anybody seen the sick Facebook page “Justice For Stephen McDaniel “ it’s so disgusting and each post gets even more bizarre

I keep seeing this page show up in groups, I can’t tell if it’s the parents or a joke. Every single post is even more disgusting, bizarre, and weird. They blame the victim and if you know about the case it’s grizzly.

I could screenshot the whole page but here’s the link:

facebook.com/stephenmarkmcdaniel

Attachments

• AE741D48-635B-44EA-8792-79EA0FD9E559.png
    AE741D48-635B-44EA-8792-79EA0FD9E559.png
    436.9 KB · Views: 40
  • B92FB685-A826-435F-928A-26E37FCFFA55.png
    B92FB685-A826-435F-928A-26E37FCFFA55.png
    513.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 525356E1-6FA1-40C9-B348-3D6B576E8C05.png
    525356E1-6FA1-40C9-B348-3D6B576E8C05.png
    420.6 KB · Views: 39