GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA:
I believe the Probate Court (Judge Self) handles these matters in Bibb County
http://www.co.bibb.ga.us/ProbateCourt/About.aspx

Hi there, SuperSleuth. If I'm not mistaken, Judge Self is the Superior Court judge in Macon. As I said before, criminal law is not my forte. But I do remember Stephen's burglary case being transferred to Superior Court following the addition of his second burglary charge, and I believe Judge Self was the Superior Court judge who heard his conflict hearing. I think you could be right, though, in implying the Magistrate Uniform Rules wouldn't apply to this hearing, but rather the Superior Court Uniform Rules would seem applicable. Either way, it looks like the same rules would be applicable, as a commitment hearing (whether conducted by a magistrate or superior court) is conducted by a court of inquiry (i.e. investigating accusations), rather than a court of adjudication. I managed to find the Superior Court Uniform Rule 26.2 (page 69 of the link), and it seems to be, at first glance, identical.

Also of interest, are the rules (which SS pointed out in the Probate Rules) pertaining to electronic and photographic coverage of judicial proceedings (page 41 of the same link). The Rule states that it's governed by O.C.G.A. § 15-1-10.1, which reads:

15-1-10.1. Standards in determining grant of requests for televising, videotaping, or motion picture filming of judicial proceedings

(a) It is declared to be the purpose and intent of the General Assembly that certain standards be considered by the courts in determining whether to grant requests for the televising, videotaping, or motion picture filming of judicial proceedings. Such standards are intended to provide an evaluation of the impact on the public interest and the rights of the parties in open judicial proceedings, the impact upon the integrity and dignity of the court, and whether the proposed activity would contribute to the enhancement of or detract from the ends of justice.

(b) In considering a request for the televising, videotaping, or motion picture filming of judicial proceedings, the court shall consider the following factors in determining whether to grant such request:

(1) The nature of the particular proceeding at issue;

(2) The consent or objection of the parties or witnesses whose testimony will be presented in the proceedings;

(3) Whether the proposed coverage will promote increased public access to the courts and openness of judicial proceedings;

(4) The impact upon the integrity and dignity of the court;

(5) The impact upon the administration of the court;

(6) The impact upon due process and the truth finding function of the judicial proceeding;

(7) Whether the proposed coverage would contribute to the enhancement of or detract from the ends of justice;

(8) Any special circumstances of the parties, victims, witnesses, or other participants such as the need to protect children or factors involving the safety of participants in the judicial proceeding; and

(9) Any other factors which the court may determine to be important under the circumstances of the case.

(c) The court may hear from the parties, witnesses, or other interested persons and from the person or entity requesting coverage during the court's consideration of the factors set forth in this Code section.

(d) This Code section shall not apply to the use of electronic or photographic means for the presentation of evidence or the perpetuation of a record.

(e) The court in its discretion may grant requests made under this Code section for all or portions of judicial proceedings.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-15/chapter-1/15-1-10-1/

http://www.georgiacourts.org/files/UNIFORM%20SUPERIOR%20COURT%20RULES_Updated_11_10.pdf

ETA: Sorry, SS. I just noticed that you did include a snippet of the Superior Court Rule pertaining to commitment hearings, as well. But I do think I was able to add something new with the rule and statute pertaining to superior court media coverage.

Hi there, SuperSleuth. If I'm not mistaken, Judge Self is the Superior Court judge in Macon. As I said before, criminal law is not my forte. But I do remember Stephen's burglary case being transferred to Superior Court following the addition of his second burglary charge, and I believe Judge Self was the Superior Court judge who heard his conflict hearing. I think you could be right, though, in implying the Magistrate Uniform Rules wouldn't apply to this hearing, but rather the Superior Court Uniform Rules would seem applicable. Either way, it looks like the same rules would be applicable, as a commitment hearing (whether conducted by a magistrate or superior court) is conducted by a court of inquiry (i.e. investigating accusations), rather than a court of adjudication. I managed to find the Superior Court Uniform Rule 26.2 (page 69 of the link), and it seems to be, at first glance, identical.

Snipped for space.

That is correct, Self is a Superior Court Judge. Unless it's said elsewhere in the news, another Superior Court Judge (probably Judge Christian, who gets most major felony cases) might handle the commitment hearing. I don't think the case will necessarily have to stick with Self just because he did the conflict hearing, but I could be wrong.

Snipped for space.

That is correct, Self is a Superior Court Judge. Unless it's said elsewhere in the news, another Superior Court Judge (probably Judge Christian, who gets most major felony cases) might handle the commitment hearing. I don't think the case will necessarily have to stick with Self just because he did the conflict hearing, but I could be wrong.
Stand by folks, I am working on getting answers about the commitment hearing . I will post an update before the end of the day

I really have to wonder what that tip was!
This could have been whoever LE spoke to who said:
McDaniel previously commented that he could commit murder, and provided details of methods to avoid detection, which are similar to the facts and circumstances surrounding the killing of Lauren Giddings

Well, it's late -- or early! -- and kinda lonely here on the thread at the moment, but I'll go ahead and post about something I ran across a little earlier that I had not really registered before ... and any later-comers who want to can ponder it along with me:

Now this MAY very well have been discussed before, but I just don't remember it...please excuse if I am rehashing.

On July 13, there's a report on Macon news station 41WGMT that includes this:

QUOTE: "Macon Police spokesperson Jami Gaudet says the evidence was collected when 'they conducted a search warrant Tuesday... of Stephen McDaniel'. Gaudet says a tip from the public led police to search McDaniel's apartment again"

link: http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-new...gation-police-focus-investigation-on-mcdaniel

Then also, in a Macon Police Department press release of July 13, this statement is included:

QUOTE: "3. After a new tip yesterday, a second search warrant was executed last night (Tuesday, July 12), at the apartment of burglary suspect Stephen Mark McDaniel, Lauren’s neighbor and classmate."

link: http://maconpolice.us/?p=967

So these are indicating that the second search warrant for SM's apartment came about after a tip from the public, right? Somehow I never realized that. What do you all think the tip was about -- seems likely it was something deemed to be pretty important, since they had already done the search with permission and one search warrant, and came back at night to do the second search warrant. (Is there something anyone can think of, pursuant to a tip, that would be best done at night? Or was it more likely done at night for urgency or for fewer disruptions, reporters, etc.?)

Also on July 13, Macon news 13WMAZ brought this report:

link: http://www.13wmaz.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=135548

...which carried the news of an increase in the reward being offered for tips and also the following about the search on the night before (Tuesday, July 12):

QUOTE FROM TRANSCRIPT: "MACON POLICE CHIEF MIKE BURNS TODAY SAID CORRESPONDENCE WITH THE F-B-I AND OTHER CLUES LED THEM BACK LAST NIGHT TO THE APARTMENT OF GIDDINGS' NEIGHBOR... STEPHEN MCDANIEL."

Here, the tip is not mentioned as such, but is among the "other clues" I'd assume, though certainly other information (from the FBI, etc.) was probably in play, too.

I really have to wonder what that tip was!
The tip might've been related to items from WalMart because a few days after that search, LE announced they were looking at his WalMart purchases. I'm pretty sure it was discussed at the time, but I haven't gone over the threads to check.

Seems we have two of them :toast:
Tripp is the Superior Court Judge ( Tillman III) Bill Self is a probate court Judge, has been for several years .
I think Bill is Tripp's Uncle. Tripp's dad is a real estate appraiser. Tripp has been a judge for four or five years. He would not hear the case if Winters goes for the Death Penalty . Right now , I hope he doesn't , I wish nothing more for Stephen McDaniel than a long life in prison, losing his virginity every night to Big Bubba and his friends. That , in my opinion, would be justice !

Also, I wonder what the holdup is on the McD's hiring the Private Detective.
Do you think their atty has advised them to wait until they hear what evidence they have on McD? How does that work?

Weird! I've never heard of Probate Self. I think Tilman is the only Self whose handled anything so far in this case, though.
That is correct ,Tripp is the only Judge Self that has been involved in the McDaniel Affairs
If Winters goes for the death penalty , Judge Howard Simms would preside, assuming there is no change in venue .

The tip might've been related to items from WalMart because a few days after that search, LE announced they were looking at his WalMart purchases. I'm pretty sure it was discussed at the time, but I haven't gone over the threads to check.

bessie, I feel sure you are likely right. Funny thing, after I posted last night (well, this morning), when I finally got to lie down and my brain started to slip into another gear, "WalMart" popped into my mind and I thought "I bet that's what it was".

Whatever worked its way up into my thinking seemed to come from some of the recent discussion we'd had here about the purchases and rumors surrounding them, seems like there is a recent article that mentions when LE heard from a WalMart employee -- I'll see if I can find that. (Don't doubt at all that there was speculation toward this back around mid-July on here, too, just couldn't remember any discussion of the "tip" aspect, but I bet there is some.)

Think you're right, timing sure seems about right.

edited to add: Found the more recent article I was thinking of, it's at:

link: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/12/1662957/source-mcdaniel-missed-2nd-class.html

QUOTE: "Glenda McDaniel said she knows nothing about purchases Stephen is said to have made at a Macon Wal-Mart, transactions that have investigators have scrutinized. In mid-July, after an employee at the Gray Highway Wal-Mart told a Telegraph reporter that Stephen McDaniel had bought rain ponchos there and that police had inquired there. A law enforcement source familiar with the case said authorities had found ponchos in Stephen McDaniel’s apartment. But the law enforcement source did not say whether the ponchos had any bearing on the case"

An incomplete sentence there in the middle of that quote (and some other verbal bungling that apparently slipped by any editor) doesn't add to the clarity, lol ... but this does seem to point in the direction of the mid-July tip possibly being about WalMart purchases.

Also, I wonder what the holdup is on the McD's hiring the Private Detective.
Do you think their atty has advised them to wait until they hear what evidence they have on McD? How does that work?

Or maybe one has been hired and we just haven't heard yet...?

edited to add: Found the more recent article I was thinking of, it's at:

link: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/12/1662957/source-mcdaniel-missed-2nd-class.html

QUOTE: "Glenda McDaniel said she knows nothing about purchases Stephen is said to have made at a Macon Wal-Mart, transactions that have investigators have scrutinized. In mid-July, after an employee at the Gray Highway Wal-Mart told a Telegraph reporter that Stephen McDaniel had bought rain ponchos there and that police had inquired there. A law enforcement source familiar with the case said authorities had found ponchos in Stephen McDaniel’s apartment. But the law enforcement source did not say whether the ponchos had any bearing on the case"

An incomplete sentence there in the middle of that quote (and some other verbal bungling that apparently slipped by any editor) doesn't add to the clarity, lol ... but this does seem to point in the direction of the mid-July tip possibly being about WalMart purchases.

I guess I am very slow, I am just now picking up on the "mid-July" phrase. That answers my premeditation question. :banghead:

That is correct ,Tripp is the only Judge Self that has been involved in the McDaniel Affairs
If Winters goes for the death penalty , Judge Howard Simms would preside, assuming there is no change in venue .

Wow! Do they really already know who would hear the case this far out? Especially if it's tried as a capital murder...when the speculation was that it could be 3-5 years away?

Wow! Do they really already know who would hear the case this far out? Especially if it's tried as a capital murder...when the speculation was that it could be 3-5 years away?
From what I understand, if they do not seek the death penalty, it wouldn't be that far out.

From what I understand, if they do not seek the death penalty, it wouldn't be that far out.

Even if it's not a death penalty case, it would probably be at least a year, right? But they could probably go ahead and put it on a specific judge's calendar a year out.

Even if it's not a death penalty case, it would probably be at least a year, right? But they could probably go ahead and put it on a specific judge's calendar a year out.
This is totally unrelated, and was obviously a fairly open/shut case.
I know nothing about this case in particular, but the story did catch my attention,
simply because of the speed at which he was tried/convicted/sentenced.
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=140095

ETA: adding here, since this is so off-topic
Twiggs County Superior Court jurors deliberated for about an hour Wednesday before finding 33-year-old John Taylor guilty of murder, aggravated assault, burglary, theft and entering an auto, prosecutor Brandon Faircloth said.

http://www.macon.com/2011/08/18/1669370/man-gets-life-in-twiggs-killing.html
So, apparently he pled not guilty.

I guess I am very slow, I am just now picking up on the "mid-July" phrase. That answers my premeditation question. :banghead:

Maybe, but maybe not -- we really don't know when the purchase/s were made, just that it looks like the tip may have come in mid-July. Purchases would have been earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB