GA GA - Mary Susan Humphrey, 23, Valdosta, 30 May 1980

Interesting how the military will list them as AWOL and then sends a warrant out to the LE in their hometowns, but doesn't do very much to locate or to accertain why they are AWOL in the first place.

AWOL status is applied to any military personnel who vanish from their unit for no valid reason, voluntarily or not. Technically AWOL cases fall under federal jurisdiction but since a sizable number of individuals who go AWOL do so to return home local LE is routinely notified as a primary resource in an attempt to locate the missing person quickly. If this doesn't pan out the FBI will typically get involved.

AWOL status is applied to any military personnel who vanish from their unit for no valid reason, voluntarily or not. Technically AWOL cases fall under federal jurisdiction but since a sizable number of individuals who go AWOL do so to return home local LE is routinely notified as a primary resource in an attempt to locate the missing person quickly. If this doesn't pan out the FBI will typically get involved.

All branches of the military use the terms AWOL (Absent without official Leave), UA (Unauthorized Absence) and Deserter to refer to personnel who are not where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there.

But there are two distinct uses of all these terms.

One use is to ADMINISTRATIVELY declare or describe someone who is in an absent or missing status. This is done following established procedures and there are certain reporting requirements based on time missing. That is, a military person fails to be at an appointed place at the specified time, and he/she is reported up the chain of command as AWOL or UA. After a certain amount of time missing (or considering the circumstances), the service member might be DECLARED a deserter. Again, this is an administrative use of the term and again, there are certain reports and letters, and notifications that get sent out. Eventually, after a further amount of time goes by, the service member's records are sent to the archives and a new man/woman is ordered in to replace him/her.

These administrative determinations have a huge impact on the service member and their family.

The other use of these terms is in the context of a LEGAL definition. The Uniform Code of Military Justice is the law book used by all services to try criminal behavior in trials by court martial. Unexcused Absence and the more serious crime of Desertion are against the law and someone convicted of either can be sentenced to specifically defined punishments, such as imprisonment, reduction in rank, fines, and discharge from the service with either a Bad Conduct or Dishonorable discharge.

There are certain necessary "proofs" to convict a person of either Unauthorized Absence or Desertion. UA is probably the most common conviction by far, while convictions for Desertion are much rarer, because of the more serious nature and the stringent proofs required. For instance to prove desertion, you not only have to prove that the person was absent, but that it was his/her INTENTION to remain absent forever.

This is an unsolved/missing family from Valdosta that gets very little attention:
http://www.paulawade.com/

Paula (McGrath) Wade and her 3-year-old son were reported missing on October 13, 2002. Paula , 26, who was employed by Sam's Club, Valdosta, Georgia, didn't show up for work at 7 a.m. Monday, October 13, 2002. Lateasa Hicks, marketing team leader at the store, said that when Paula didn't call work to notify them she wouldn't be in, people with whom she worked became concerned about her whereabouts. Hicks became concerned and sent someone to Wade's residence at Common Apartments twice that morning to find her. Wade's vehicle, a 1998 Chevy Blazer was still there, but there was no sign of Wade or her son, Brandon. Police officers responded to the apartment and contacted the landlord. No trace of Wade or her son was found.

This is an unsolved/missing family from Valdosta that gets very little attention:
http://www.paulawade.com/

Paula (McGrath) Wade and her 3-year-old son were reported missing on October 13, 2002. Paula , 26, who was employed by Sam's Club, Valdosta, Georgia, didn't show up for work at 7 a.m. Monday, October 13, 2002. Lateasa Hicks, marketing team leader at the store, said that when Paula didn't call work to notify them she wouldn't be in, people with whom she worked became concerned about her whereabouts. Hicks became concerned and sent someone to Wade's residence at Common Apartments twice that morning to find her. Wade's vehicle, a 1998 Chevy Blazer was still there, but there was no sign of Wade or her son, Brandon. Police officers responded to the apartment and contacted the landlord. No trace of Wade or her son was found.

Here's a link to Brandon's thread here on WS.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58901&highlight=paula+wade

Mary Susan Humphrey is listed with the GBI as Unsolved Homicide 1302648563.

http://gbi.georgia.gov/case/unsolved-homicide-347

The GBI Douglas Office is asking for any assistance or information from the public which would lead to the identity of the person(s) responsible for the murder of Mary Susan Humphrey. The Humphrey family has remained in touch with investigators and would greatly appreciate getting closure for the loss of their loved one.
If anyone has any information concerning Mary Susan Humphrey, please contact the GBI Office in Douglas, Ga. at 912-389-4103.

Mary Susan's family has set up a page on Facebook: Justice for Mary Susan Humphrey

Georgia Bureau of Investigation -- Unsolved Homicide
170061780Mary%20Susan%20Humphrey.png

MARY SUSAN HUMPHREY
Case Info
Incident Date: Sun, 06/15/1980
Race: White
Weight: 128
Height: 5' 3"
Sex: Female
Hair Color: Red
Contact Info: GBI Douglas Office - 912-389-4103

Mary Susan Humphrey was last seen by friends on Friday, May 30, 1980 in Valdosta, Georgia after leaving Grego’s, which was a popular night club in the 80’s, with a male she met that night. Humphrey was a Moody Air Force Base Airman First Class assigned as an air traffic controller who lived off base near Walker’s Crossing. Humphrey left the bar and went to the man’s apartment off Forrest Streetin Valdosta. The man told officers that Humphrey wanted to go home around 3:00 a.m. and she left his apartment walking down Forrest Street near Park Avenue.

Humphrey was a white female, 23 YOA, with red hair, stood 5’3” tall and weighed 128 pounds. Humphrey was originally from Lenexa, Kansas and was stationed at Moody Air Force Base. Humphrey was last seen wearing a long sleeve burgundy in color shirt and dark colored slacks.

On Sunday, June 15, 1980, Humphrey’s body was discovered about 50 feet off a dirt road known as Old Willacoochee Road or more commonly called Double Bridge Road in Berrien County by a group of men running their hunting dogs.

The investigation led law enforcement at the time to arrest a former boyfriend of Humphrey. He was tried and acquitted by a Berrien County Jury on October 10, 1980.

The GBI Douglas Office is asking for any assistance or information from the public which would lead to the identity of the person(s) responsible for the murder of Mary Susan Humphrey. The Humphrey family has remained in touch with investigators and would greatly appreciate getting closure for the loss of their loved one.

If anyone has any information concerning Mary Susan Humphrey, please contact the GBI Office in Douglas, Ga. at 912-389-4103.

http://gbi.georgia.gov/case/unsolved-homicide-347
New info sought in 1980 murder of Moody airman
Last Updated: Jul. 8, 2008 - 12:39PM
The Associated Press
Mary Susan Humphrey, a 23-year-old airman first class from Lenexa, Kan., was an air traffic controller at Moody who disappeared after leaving a Valdosta nightclub with a man she met May 30, 1980. He later told investigators that she left his apartment on foot early the next morning.

I just found this discussion. I don't know if this is still an active discussion, but, I was active duty Air Force, living in Ray City at the time. In fact, Innocent lived in my house at the time of Mary's murder and during his arrest. I still remember things....some details are foggy, though. Mary was a really nice girl. I remember thinking she was so interesting because she was a skydiver.

I just found this discussion. I don't know if this is still an active discussion, but, I was active duty Air Force, living in Ray City at the time. In fact, Innocent lived in my house at the time of Mary's murder and during his arrest. I still remember things....some details are foggy, though. Mary was a really nice girl. I remember thinking she was so interesting because she was a skydiver.
I was visted back in 2007 about this case As you can see above Wondering if you knew a guy Wade who was Air Force Cook at Moody AFB that is who they asked me about

Ray yes actice duty there at Moody i cant message you your in box is full

There seems to be some strange reticence with regards to the last man known to have seen her alive. Why is that? He would surely be the #1 suspect in the beginning. If he didn't do it then it was either someone who offered Mary a ride when they saw her walking home or someone she called to come and pick her up.

The local police and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation seemed SO sure that they knew who did it that I don't think they really looked too hard at anyone else. That is how it seems to me now all these years later.

The local police and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation seemed SO sure that they knew who did it that I don't think they really looked too hard at anyone else. That is how it seems to me now all these years later.

Welcome to WS Ray.

I was visted back in 2007 about this case As you can see above Wondering if you knew a guy Wade who was Air Force Cook at Moody AFB that is who they asked me about

I arrived at Moody about Sept '80. Remember "Wade" from the chow hall. First time I heard about this case his name came up. While still at Moody in '80's, I heard he died in a car crash in Tennessee. Always so much gossip and rumor. Never knew what to believe.

I am conducting research on this case for a podcast. We are interested to learn more about Mary's case; however, available information is limited. Ultimately, we want to bring these cases to the forefront of people's minds and encourage conversations that could ultimately lead to resolution for Mary and for her family. If anyone has information or contacts they are willing to share, please reach out to me via private message.

I was going thru my personal AF records recently, and came across the training info time frame where I heard from several sources about the non-military brother of an active duty Airman who some considered a suspect. Anyone who was in the NCO Orientation Course at Moody AFB in Mar 1981 PLEASE contact LE with any info no matter how insignificant you believe it is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back