GA GA - Mary Susan Humphrey, 23, Valdosta, 30 May 1980

I arrived at Moody about Sept '80. Remember "Wade" from the chow hall. First time I heard about this case his name came up. While still at Moody in '80's, I heard he died in a car crash in Tennessee. Always so much gossip and rumor. Never knew what to believe.
I was contacted by GBI yesterday
They are seeking closure for the family

I arrived at Moody about Sept '80. Remember "Wade" from the chow hall. First time I heard about this case his name came up. While still at Moody in '80's, I heard he died in a car crash in Tennessee. Always so much gossip and rumor. Never knew what to believe.
I was contacted by GBI yesterday
They are seeking closure for the family

I knew Wade as well met him at chow hall cooking eggs
Became friends with him and we with others all hung out a lot together

I am conducting research on this case for a podcast. We are interested to learn more about Mary's case; however, available information is limited. Ultimately, we want to bring these cases to the forefront of people's minds and encourage conversations that could ultimately lead to resolution for Mary and for her family. If anyone has information or contacts they are willing to share, please reach out to me via private message.

From Ray City to Bruno’s house 16.3 mi or 22 min

From Bruno’s house to June Hendley is 41.6 miles or 50 min

From June Hendley to Ray City 22.6 mi or 29 min
Now consider the timeline:

3am Mary calls from Bruno’s home

3:20-3:30 Her “friend” arrived at Bruno’s home in Valdosta

3:40 fight pursued and Mary dies, A blow to the head with a hand cast

4:00 they leave Valdosta to June Hendley

5:09 arrive at June Hendley the deathbed

5:30-5:40 the grave is partially dug....but quit because too many roots and its hard to dig with a broken hand

6:08 The “friend” arrives home and seen washing his car

***murderers always leave behind evidence

Just giving a bump for Mary-hoping that someone out there in cyberspace may have some info!

Bring Maura home!
Ok
Wade is alive and well. I am friends with him on facebook. I was at Moody in 1980, as well.
From Ray City to Bruno’s house 16.3 mi or 22 min

5:30-5:40 the grave is partially dug....but quit because too many roots and its hard to dig with a broken hand

Ok

From Ray City to Bruno’s house 16.3 mi or There is no such thing as a perfect murder. Evidence is always left behind. X-rays of a broken hand is one good example.

I know there is evil in the world, you can't miss it with today's media headlines, but I have a hard time thinking of anyone who would have enough anger or hate in them to do what was done to Mary. That's probably why I feel that, if after all the investigations, the police don't think that Bruno, the last person to see her alive, didn't kill Mary then I feel the most probable event was an accident that someone tried to cover up in a panic by dumping the body. There was never any mention of sexual assault, only the one head trauma, that I know of.
I think Mary got along well with Karen and seemed to be pretty good friends with her. I don't know how long they knew each other. I do know that Karen's boyfriend at the time knew Bruno and that Bruno called him when Mary left Bruno's apartment and that both Bruno and Karen's boyfriend were considered suspects and took polygraph tests. From my understanding, they failed but, so did others.

Like a ring, we can keep going round and round but the same names keep circling the drain.

From Ray City to Bruno’s house it’s 16.3 mi or 22 min. From Bruno’s house to June Hendley it’s 41.6 miles or 50 min. From June Hendley to Ray City it’s 22.6 mi or 29 min. With this knowledge, we can easily see how he could pick up Mary, murder her, drop her purse off and bury her all within three hours. At 3am Mary calls from Bruno’s home. At 3:20-3:30 Her “friend” arrives at Bruno’s home in Valdosta. At 3:40 fight pursues and Mary dies, a blow to the head with a hand CAST. At 4:00 they leave Valdosta to June Hendley, then at 5:09 arrive at June Hendley, the deathbed. Finally, at 5:30-5:40 the grave is partially dug....but halted because there were too many roots. It’s not easy to dig a grave with a BROKEN hand. At 6:08 The “friend” arrives home and seen washing car.

But to get it all done within this timeframe, one thing was needed. Knowledge. The perp needed to know her location, where her home was so he could drop off her purse, and where to bury her body. Who was able to do all this with a fractured hand?

The circle is small. The records are available. Shine the light and check for fragments in the skull.

Then it will all come to light! min

I thought I would post this as one of the most enduring unsolved murders that I have some personal knowledge of. It occurred in Valdosta, GA on Memorial Day weekend in 1979. Mary was a newly assigned airman who I met when she reported to the AFB dental clinic after arrival. Since her dental record did not accompany her, I was responsible for creating a new one and making sure xrays were done and all info was charted as to missing teeth, existing fillings, etc. This record became extremely important because shortly after she arrived on base, she disappeared seemingly without a trace. In July of 1979, a hunter found human remains in a shallow grave wrapped in a bedspread. Since Mary had been listed as AWOL by the Air Force and reported to local authorities as missing, the body was brought to the base for possible ID. Xrays were taken and the remains were positively ID'd as Marys. Her skull showed evidence of massive blunt force trauma. Within a few weeks, a male airman was charged with her murder and spent nearly a year in jail before trial. He was subsequently acquitted(and he should have been, local LE was looking for a "quick" conviction to clear the case) and as far as I know, this case is still open and unsolved. During my time stationed at said AFB, I heard persistent rumors regarding the brother of an active-duty airman who went missing shortly after Mary disappeared and who was rumored to have been involved in her murder(he was NOT in the military!)-and who was known to have owned a bedspread similiar to the one her remains were found in. Please understand that any errors in this account are strictly my responsibility since it was over 25 years ago and memories can play tricks. And yes, this is the SAME Valdosta, GA where Nancy Grace's fiancee was murdered. I am interested in hearing any theories and/or additional info that may be out there.
I thought I would post this as one of the most enduring unsolved murders that I have some personal knowledge of. It occurred in Valdosta, GA on Memorial Day weekend in 1979. Mary was a newly assigned airman who I met when she reported to the AFB dental clinic after arrival. Since her dental record did not accompany her, I was responsible for creating a new one and making sure xrays were done and all info was charted as to missing teeth, existing fillings, etc. This record became extremely important because shortly after she arrived on base, she disappeared seemingly without a trace. In July of 1979, a hunter found human remains in a shallow grave wrapped in a bedspread. Since Mary had been listed as AWOL by the Air Force and reported to local authorities as missing, the body was brought to the base for possible ID. Xrays were taken and the remains were positively ID'd as Marys. Her skull showed evidence of massive blunt force trauma. Within a few weeks, a male airman was charged with her murder and spent nearly a year in jail before trial. He was subsequently acquitted(and he should have been, local LE was looking for a "quick" conviction to clear the case) and as far as I know, this case is still open and unsolved. During my time stationed at said AFB, I heard persistent rumors regarding the brother of an active-duty airman who went missing shortly after Mary disappeared and who was rumored to have been involved in her murder(he was NOT in the military!)-and who was known to have owned a bedspread similiar to the one her remains were found in. Please understand that any errors in this account are strictly my responsibility since it was over 25 years ago and memories can play tricks. And yes, this is the SAME Valdosta, GA where Nancy Grace's fiancee was murdered. I am interested in hearing any theories and/or additional info that may be out there.
Save the date!
The Combat Veteran chapter in Berrien County will honor Mary Susan’s life by presenting a special engraved Cross in her honor on June 15th, 2021, time is TBA. The ceremony will be held on June Hendley Road by Double Bridges where she was found on 15 June 1980 by hunters. We invite everyone in the community to attend. Feel free to bring flowers, balloons, Teddy Bears or anything else that will honor the life of Mary Susan Humphrey. She served us and now it’s time for us to show our gratitude. Please read Justice for Mary Susan Humphrey on Facebook for the most up-to-date information on her case and keep an eye out for the time of Mary Susan’s celebration of life on June 15, 2021. Thanks

Combat veterans preparing for Celebration of Life in memory of Mary Susan Humphrey soon!

Last edited:
Save the date!
The Combat Veteran chapter in Berrien County will honor Mary Susan’s life by presenting a special engraved Cross in her honor on June 15th, 2021, time is TBA. The ceremony will be held on June Hendley Road by Double Bridges where she was found on 15 June 1980 by hunters. We invite everyone in the community to attend. Feel free to bring flowers, balloons, Teddy Bears or anything else that will honor the life of Mary Susan Humphrey. She served us and now it’s time for us to show our gratitude. Please read *** Justice for Mary Susan Humphrey *** on Facebook for the most up-to-date information on her case and keep an eye out for the time of Mary Susan’s celebration of life on June 15, 2021. Thanks

Mary Susan Humphrey

Case Info
Incident date: Sun, 06/15/1980 - 12:00
Race: White
Weight: 128
Height: 5' 3"
Hair Color: Red
Sex: Female
Contact Info: GBI Douglas Office - 912-389-4103.

Mary Susan Humphrey was last seen by friends on Friday, May 30, 1980 in Valdosta, Georgia after leaving Grego’s, which was a popular night club in the 80’s, with a male she met that night. Humphrey was a Moody Air Force Base Airman First Class assigned as an air traffic controller who lived off base near Walker’s Crossing. Humphrey left the bar and went to the man’s apartment off Forrest Street in Valdosta. The man told officers that Humphrey wanted to go home around 3:00 a.m. and she left his apartment walking down Forrest Street near Park Avenue.

Humphrey was a white female, 23 YOA, with red hair, stood 5’3” tall and weighed 128 pounds. Humphrey was originally from Lenexa, Kansas and was stationed at Moody Air Force Base. Humphrey was last seen wearing a long sleeve burgundy in color shirt and dark colored slacks.

On Sunday, June 15, 1980, Humphrey’s body was discovered about 50 feet off a dirt road known as Old Willacoochee Road or more commonly called Double Bridge Road in Berrien County by a group of men running their hunting dogs.

The investigation led law enforcement at the time to arrest a former boyfriend of Humphrey. He was tried and acquitted by a Berrien County Jury on October 10, 1980.

The GBI Douglas Office is asking for any assistance or information from the public which would lead to the identity of the person(s) responsible for the murder of Mary Susan Humphrey. The Humphrey family has remained in touch with investigators and would greatly appreciate getting closure for the loss of their loved one.

If anyone has any information concerning Mary Susan Humphrey, please contact the GBI Office in Douglas, Ga. at 912-389-4103.

LINK:
Unsolved Homicide: Mary Susan Humphrey

Mary Susan Humphrey

Case Info
Incident date: Sun, 06/15/1980 - 12:00
Race: White
Weight: 128
Height: 5' 3"
Hair Color: Red
Sex: Female
Contact Info: GBI Douglas Office - 912-389-4103.

Mary Susan Humphrey was last seen by friends on Friday, May 30, 1980 in Valdosta, Georgia after leaving Grego’s, which was a popular night club in the 80’s, with a male she met that night. Humphrey was a Moody Air Force Base Airman First Class assigned as an air traffic controller who lived off base near Walker’s Crossing. Humphrey left the bar and went to the man’s apartment off Forrest Street in Valdosta. The man told officers that Humphrey wanted to go home around 3:00 a.m. and she left his apartment walking down Forrest Street near Park Avenue.

Humphrey was a white female, 23 YOA, with red hair, stood 5’3” tall and weighed 128 pounds. Humphrey was originally from Lenexa, Kansas and was stationed at Moody Air Force Base. Humphrey was last seen wearing a long sleeve burgundy in color shirt and dark colored slacks.

On Sunday, June 15, 1980, Humphrey’s body was discovered about 50 feet off a dirt road known as Old Willacoochee Road or more commonly called Double Bridge Road in Berrien County by a group of men running their hunting dogs.

The investigation led law enforcement at the time to arrest a former boyfriend of Humphrey. He was tried and acquitted by a Berrien County Jury on October 10, 1980.

The GBI Douglas Office is asking for any assistance or information from the public which would lead to the identity of the person(s) responsible for the murder of Mary Susan Humphrey. The Humphrey family has remained in touch with investigators and would greatly appreciate getting closure for the loss of their loved one.

If anyone has any information concerning Mary Susan Humphrey, please contact the GBI Office in Douglas, Ga. at 912-389-4103.

LINK:
Unsolved Homicide: Mary Susan Humphrey

Contact Detective Alex Julian at GBI

Photos of Berrien County Combat Veterans preparing the site today for Mary Susan Humphrey’s Celebration of Life on June 15, 2021
1) Facebook
2) Facebook
3) Log into Facebook
4) Log into Facebook

This last video explains where Mary Susan’s body was found on June 15th, 1980. Celebration of Life ceremony will be held by Combat Vets on June 15, 2021. Bring American Flags to plant in memory of this Airman.

Last edited:
It’s just days away - Celebration of Life for Mary Susan Humphrey. Sign up if you’re interested! 15 June at 6:30 pm
Guest speaker! Unveiling of the new cross created by our Combat Vets who never leave any man or woman behind.

click here if interested in attending
Patsy Dresdal

Combat Vets cementing in the new cross for Mary Susan. They plan to ride in on motorcycles on June 15th at 6:30pm on June Hendley Road. Special guest speaker! Come early and bring flags, flowers, teddy bears or whatever else to honor and remember Mary Susan. Photo below.

I am the Vanessa Guillen who was left behind.

My name is Mary Susan Humphrey and I was an A1C Air Traffic Controller at Moody AFB when I was murdered on May 31, 1980. Vanessa’s murderer no longer walks the streets but mine remains free.

#nosoldierleftbehind
#helpme
#metoomovement
#Demandanswers

Tonight’s Celebration of Life event was organized by Joye GL. Combat Veterans arrive to present new cross in memory of Mary Susan Humphrey. We especially want to thank the Sheriff, GBI and OSB for attending the memorial.

Arrival of Combat Veterans

Cross designed by Magic Mike, Cheese and Mickey.

Combat Veterans of Berrien County

Thank you!
Patsy Dresdal

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members