GA GA - Monica Bowie, 34, Dekalb County, 5 July 2007

I saw this on the news last night, I wish I had known about this, my family, friends and I would have went to support them, pray with them.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=99928

Vigil Held For Kidnapped Woman
Video Available

Family and friends of a missing DeKalb County woman are praying for her safe return. It has been nearly a week since police said Monica Bowie was kidnapped from her apartment complex.

Police said Bowie was kidnapped from her apartment complex on Roxboro Road. Witnesses said they heard a woman scream, then they saw a car take off.

Investigators said they found that car abandoned and burned, but with no sign of Bowie.

"Somebody knows where my baby is," said Robin Gresham. "Just let her go. Just let her come home. I'm not concerned about why, I'm not concerned. I don't care why."

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2007/07/12/kidnap_0713.html

Linda Howard's eyes were wet, as though she hadn't stopped crying in a week. Her answers were sometimes one word — "yes" or "no." As she met with reporters Thursday morning in a Decatur lawyer's office, she said she had little choice but to take her pain and loss public.

Otherwise, her daughter, Monica Renee Bowie, who is missing and apparently abducted, would be forgotten.

"Once the media stops, it's hard to start it again," Howard said.

Bowie, 34, was taken from her apartment complex in DeKalb County on the night of July 5. Neighbors said they heard her scream: "Someone help! I need help! Help me!" Investigators found evidence of a struggle in the parking lot. The next day, the car used in her abduction was found torched.

On Saturday, DeKalb County police arrested Jasper Keels, 24, charging him with theft by taking of the car and drug possession. Police said they don't know whether there's a connection between Keels and Bowie's abduction. Howard and family members, meantime, are clinging to hope — and hoping her abductors are listening.

more at link...

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/2007/07/16/missing_0716.html

More than a week after Monica Renee Bowie's disappearance, DeKalb County police remain stumped in trying to solve her apparent abduction.

Deputy Chief Mike Burrows indicated as much in his comments on Sunday, after Linda Howard offered a heartfelt plea for information leading to her daughter's safe return and announced the establisment of reward funds and a web site developed in connection with the case.

Authorities are hoping results from items being tested at the state crime lab, database searches, continued interviews with and background checks on persons of interest will help.

Police aren't certain that Bowie's mysterious disappearance on July 5 didn't involve a stranger and are concerned that tips have reduced to a trickle.

more at link...

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2007/07/12/kidnap_0713.html

Linda Howard's eyes were wet, as though she hadn't stopped crying in a week. Her answers were sometimes one word — "yes" or "no." As she met with reporters Thursday morning in a Decatur lawyer's office, she said she had little choice but to take her pain and loss public.

Otherwise, her daughter, Monica Renee Bowie, who is missing and apparently abducted, would be forgotten.

"Once the media stops, it's hard to start it again," Howard said.

Bowie, 34, was taken from her apartment complex in DeKalb County on the night of July 5. Neighbors said they heard her scream: "Someone help! I need help! Help me!" Investigators found evidence of a struggle in the parking lot. The next day, the car used in her abduction was found torched.

On Saturday, DeKalb County police arrested Jasper Keels, 24, charging him with theft by taking of the car and drug possession. Police said they don't know whether there's a connection between Keels and Bowie's abduction. Howard and family members, meantime, are clinging to hope — and hoping her abductors are listening.

more at link...

Christine, it appears she has been listening to you and taken your advice. You probably haven't been the only one to make these reccomendations, but you and others that are experienced have and I can't help but feel your input was important in the mother's decision making to go public. It did educate her with the ins and outs of a case like this, that she otherwise had no prior knowledge or experience.

Excellent good samaritan award goes to Christine.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/2007/07/16/missing_0716.html

More than a week after Monica Renee Bowie's disappearance, DeKalb County police remain stumped in trying to solve her apparent abduction.

Deputy Chief Mike Burrows indicated as much in his comments on Sunday, after Linda Howard offered a heartfelt plea for information leading to her daughter's safe return and announced the establisment of reward funds and a web site developed in connection with the case.

Authorities are hoping results from items being tested at the state crime lab, database searches, continued interviews with and background checks on persons of interest will help.

Police aren't certain that Bowie's mysterious disappearance on July 5 didn't involve a stranger and are concerned that tips have reduced to a trickle.

more at link...

More proof your efforts aren't in vain Christine, in second paragraph it states Ms. Howards continued efforts in locating her daughter and keeping it in the public. She has heeded your advice. Good Job. May you be rewarded, for this is truly a good work and deed.

I spoke to mom. She sounded a bit frazzled. I didn't not ask anything about the case. Told her who I was, a little about WS, LTWH, and offered assistance. Gave her my #'s...told her I would be brief, just want her to know we are here. I told her to start a notebook, and that I'd like to speak with her again when she has time to sit down and take a breath. She has been with LE. I didn't question her, I'm sure she is afraid and not sure who she can trust, also being in a strange place. I told her I knew she was not talking with media and asked if she needed me to set her up with someone to represent her w/media, she said "not at this time'. Anywho, she said she'd call me.

It is NOT in the news. A small blurb last night 11 oclock, I haven't seen anything since.

I am afraid to learn the outcome of this one.

Christine, I'm really impressed with you..my DH would have stopped me before I started! (He thinks i'm a nosy busybody because I follow the cases and post here)

It's people like you that keep the world moving when it has ground to a halt, fettered by violence. It seems she took your plea to heart....kudos in helping =)

This gives us a better picture of who Monica was, what she did. She was an upstanding citizen, a business owner. Also, gives an account of her recent arrest on drugs/weapons charges, seems she took the rap for her BF :slap:

AJC Dekalb

Griggs described Bowie as an "upstanding" member of the community who owns several companies. The list includes Go2girl Promotions Inc., a company that has promoted performances in metro Atlanta by a number of top hip-hop acts, and LaCoca Wear Clothing, a boutique on Metropolitan Parkway in southwest Atlanta.

Bowie had no criminal history before her June 20 arrest on drug and weapon possession charges by Atlanta police, said Griggs and relatives, who consider her recent legal troubles and kidnapping unrelated. The Cheyney University of Pennsylvania graduate was taken into custody in June after she went to retrieve her car from a crime scene, Griggs said.

According to an Atlanta police report, Shernotta Walters was spotted standing in a Campbellton Road parking lot by an officer who "smelled a strong odor of marijuana." The officer had Walters point out his car, where marijuana, cash and a firearm were found. When Bowie arrived, she reported that Walters, her boyfriend, had borrowed her car, and she also was arrested.

Walters remains in the Fulton County Jail. Bowie denied ownership of the weapon or drugs found in the vehicle, Griggs said.

The charges against Bowie, according to Griggs, subsequently were dismissed in Fulton County Magistrate Court.

Dennis Scheib, an Atlanta lawyer representing Walters, said he first learned of Bowie's disappearance from his client, who called him crying and screaming into the phone, "Monica has been kidnapped. She's been kidnapped."

Griggs said the couple had been living together and was engaged.

The charges against Walters, 35, were dismissed after police failed to show up at his probable cause hearing. But Walters, a parolee, will remain in jail, Scheib said, until a parole board decides on his release because of the new charges. Walters went to prison in July 2004 on a drug conviction in Cobb County. He was paroled in April 2006, according to the state Department of Corrections database.

Really good to know....I don't think this qualifies as a drug "lifestyle" at all.

Volunteers Needed....The Search For Monica Bowie...snatched from the heart of Buckhead.

SATURDAY search!

Please let me know, ASAP if you are available to assist in the search that is being conducted THIS Saturday morning. Volunteers should meet on the upper deck of the Lenox Road parking lot at Lenox Square mall at 6:45 a.m.

(770) 328-5995

Christine Jones
Lighting The Way Home
--
Make A Difference in 2007!

I have been contacted through MySpace by a member of Walker County Rescue Squad in Jasper, AL. She willl be coming w/dog to help w/search! She is trying to gather more to join us.

I have also met with our local fire chief, who just happens to be the president of the volunteer GA fire assoc. and he is doing a shout out for us for people to come and help search!

I just spoke with the asst. to the attorney of Monica's who is cooridinating, while on the phone, the attorney called in, he is at the search going on this morning near where the car was found, so, they did not call of Sat search, I take that to mean today's search did not bring forth anything significant? Will update as I find out more about today's search.

Pray!

The search team w/dog will not join us tomorrow. After talking with organizers tomorrow we will just be canvassing. I will have a chance tomorrow to talk with involved and see about doing a more indepth search of the areas surrounding the apts (woods) and where the car was located. It will also give me a chance to see the distance, and find more out about a timeline..if I can get it outta them ;) I am sure LE will be there..we will see what I can find out.

I will meet Gerald at Lenox Mall an hour before the search is scheduled to start to see how I can assist with the organizing.

I am sorely dissappointed in the copy/office stores in my city...not one would donate me flyers, not one. Trying to figure out how to get all these flyers printed!

Friends Vow to Find Missing Woman

Reported By: Tiffany Cochran
Web Editor: Holly Lang
Last Modified: 7/20/2007 12:04:30 AM

The search for 34-year-old Monica Renee Bowie first begins in a circle of prayer, then fans into the community near Hunter Hill First Baptist Church, where a small group of Bowies friends and clergy members will hit the streets to hand out flyers.

They knock on doors and ask questions, doing whatever they can do to generate new leads in this baffling case.

Its been exactly two weeks since anyone saw Bowie. DeKalb police said she was kidnapped outside her apartment complex off Roxboro Road. The car police said was used in the kidnapping was found near her neighborhood burned. There have been no further leads in the case, which is why Bowies friends vow to keep looking.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=100375

Missing Woman
Les Dyer to PCFD, me
show details Jul 19 (14 hours ago)

Many of you may be familiar with the details in the case of this missing woman. I was asked to get this information to the membership should anyone be able to aid the search.

Volunteers Needed ... The search for Monica Bowie ... snatched from the heart of Buckhead.

SATURDAY search.

Please let me know ASAP if you are available to assist in the search that is being conducted THIS Saturday morning. Volunteers should meet on the upper deck of the Lenox Road parking lot at Lenox Square Mall ay 0645.

(770) 328-5995

Christine Jones
Lighting the Way Home

I have no further details. Please contact Ms Jones if you are available or have questions.

Christine Jones to Les
show details 9:11 am (1½ hours ago)

Thank you Sir!

Kindest regards,
Christine

Les Dyer to me
show details 9:48 am (54 minutes ago)

You are most welcome and the entire Peachtree City Fire Department
wishes you success !!

v/r
Les

PS That email went out to all 120 members.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Christine, I just wanted to let you know how proud I am to call you a friend and "partner". You are making a difference in 2007 and all that you do should not go unnoticed. Good luck on your search. Ms. Bowie and her family are lucky to have you helping them.

It is hard for me to believe that the young man that they arrested isn't part of the kidnapping. He stole the car that was used in the abduction. How could he not be involved? Maybe he was the driver and there were two other men that actually grabbed Monica but I think he is full of chit saying that he wasn't involved. He probably even set the car on fire.

If Monica was screaming for help and the neighbors heard her why didn't someone help her? Was she already in the parking lot when she started screaming or was it when they were hauling her out of her apartment? If she was by her apartment and not in the parking lot when she started screaming it seems to me she could have been helped. So often people can be standing right be a crime taking place and not do anything or they see it happening out of their window but refuse to help. If the neighbors had time to help her then shame on them for not running out and at least trying to stop those men. Seems like someone with a cell phone and a vehicle could have followed that car while calling 911. As it stands now...Monica is probably dead as it has been a couple of weeks since she was taken. I wonder why she was abducted? Maybe something to do with business?

Update

1. MySpace page being built as we speak. I am gathering info, links, pictures, interviewing family (for public statement), Lisa will build.

2. Webpage being constructed by Animal, Graceful and me.

3. DNA Collection email sent to Det. Jackman.

4. Family is leaving to go back to PA Tuesday, I am hoping Det. J jumps right on this DNA collection!

5. We need a billboard, at Druid Hills exit...someone needs to research this ASAP...get it donated or find out minimal cost, then we beg for money.

6. We need to map out from abduction area to where car found, decide on doable radius and start searching. This needs to be thought out and planned.

7. I'd also, out of curiousity try to figure out if they were to go as far as possible in every direction how far could they have gotten to and back in 4 days..I am just curious.

8. OK this is weird, but I'm telling it anyway. There was a neighbor with me yesterday, a young boy, 14....when we left the apt complex he kept saying he heard something and asked me if I heard it, I said no....it was really bothering him, he kept telling me the # 422....crazy, yes....I wonder who lives in Apt 422. I know, crazy.

8. We need to get Monica's story all over the internet. Need volutneers, get her listed at all known missing sites.

--
Make A Difference in 2007!

Great Job, Christine! Sounds like you are on top of this one and doing a great service to this family. Keep it up! I know they will appreciate it so much in the long run. I hope they get some news on Monica soon. Sounds like her BF is a no good Cob if ya ask me!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back