GUILTY GA - Paul & Sheila Comer for starving, abusing teen son, Paulding County, 2012

Mom's lawyer ,Renee' Rockwell, is a regular on Nancy Grace .
Interesting that the parents have different lawyers.

I'd be interested to know if the girls were enrolled in school . I'm an advocate for homeschooling ,but there are people who abuse the situation. Most home schoolers are involved in social groups . If they aren't that's a red flag to me.

According to the OP article:

Neighbors on the quiet cul-de-sac of two-story brick and vinyl siding homes, about 30 miles outside Atlanta, said the couple kept to themselves and the two girls didn't ride the neighborhood school bus or leave their yard.

and even the wife was isolated......

Comer's wife never left the house unless she was with her husband, not even to check the mail, White said. Their two daughters would sometimes come outside and play, but only in the back yard. Neighbors assumed the girls didn't go to school either — they never caught the bus that picked up other children in the cul-de-sac every morning.

Neighbors said they had no clue the Comers had a son until a detective came knocking at their doors asking questions last week.

"I had no idea, no clue. There were no signs of a son at all," said Dion Walker, who's lived next to the Comers for two years. "The few occasions we would see them go to the van, it was always the parents and the two girls."

She said her 8-year-old daughter would occasionally play with the Comer girls, who she initially thought were the same age as her own daughter. They were the same size and seemed to have the same maturity level. However, she said police later told her the Comer girls were 11 and 13.

It's good the girls are in protective custody also....

I'm confused about the relationship. If I'm not mistaken, they are calling the man "stepfather", but don't the mother, father, and son have the same last name? Maybe he was adopted by his stepfather...but then wouldn't he just be called his "father?

Good grief! This just makes you want to take this boy in and try to make everything better. I cannot believe how horrible people can be. I hope that both of the "parents" get the maximum punishment allowed. And I hope the children all get the help, love, security, and positive things that they deserve! Breaks my heart.

Did the step-father work? The reports are that both parents were charged with abuse, I wonder if mommy dearest was always abusive or if this was something to appease the in her life? Where is the father of these kids..the grandparents, family, friends..anyone? Kudo's to the security officer who took the time to notice AND do something about it!!

From the article;

...Renee Rockwell, a lawyer for Sheila Comer, said her client is “standing by her not guilty plea.”

“I’m staying deep in prayer that the judge sees fit to grant her bond,” Rockwell said.

“We’re doing our own independent investigation right now, and Paul is helping with that,” said Paul Comer’s lawyer Scott Smith. “He’s deeply concerned about the seriousness of the charges against him.”

Smith said he couldn’t comment further but that his client is looking forward to his bond hearing Oct. 4....

BBM

Are you :censored: kidding me? HE'S concerned about the seriousness of the charges!!! :banghead:

He's obviously never been concerned about the kids well being, but his is causing him great concern. I hope that his looking forward to the bond hearing is a big mistake. I hope he doesn't get bond, doesn't see the outside of a prison and hates everyday of the rest of his life! :maddening:

BBM Hi SD. Dallas, Ga is a small town here in GA. His chances of getting a bond here are slim to none, in my opinion. But you never know...He may have already gotten some of his punishment where he is now :jail:

There was another thread about this story and I commented on there but I watched the video clip from the links above and I have to :barf: when the lawyer says that the stepfather is very concerned...about his own azz of course. JMO These people have no excuse for the hurt, neglect and abuse they inflicted on this poor boy.

They are fighting to retain custody of their other children and family has expressed wanting to keep the children if parents lose custody. Family did not help this boy all those years yet they think they deserve to keep the other two children??? No way!

Did the step-father work? The reports are that both parents were charged with abuse, I wonder if mommy dearest was always abusive or if this was something to appease the in her life? Where is the father of these kids..the grandparents, family, friends..anyone? Kudo's to the security officer who took the time to notice AND do something about it!!

Thanks for all the new articles/info on the case.....I read the father/SF has his own business repairing home appliances. I'm wondering about the relationship of the boy/father also...nothing has said he was adopted and he calls the man his SF, so maybe they just had him using the same name.

Some of the family has been interviewed and attended court and said they wanted to help but I agree, where have they been all this time? The boy was kept hidded for 4 years and police said they found evidence in the home to back up his story.

Here's a quote from one grandmother:

Diamant tracked down Mitch Comer's grandmother in Iowa, who said she hadn't seen the teen’s mother in years and always suspected he was in trouble.

"It is not shocking to me. I figured this is what's going on, but I didn't know how to stop it," Diane Powell told Diamant over the phone.

Uh, pick up the phone and call CPS or police?

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the other thread, so please combine them if possible.

Paul, Sheila Comer, Couple Accused Of Keeping Boy Locked In Room For Years, Were Investigated Before

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/paul-sheila-comer_n_1917824.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

............According to a report from the time, state child welfare officials in February 2009 alerted the Cherokee County Sheriff's office to an abuse accusation about the Comers. The incident report says the couple's son claimed his parents made him get on his knees and rest his head against a wall with his hands behind him for hours at a time. The boy also claimed his father spanked him with a belt for no reason.

The sheriff's office closed the case, considering the accusation unfounded............

Stepfather Paul Comer and mother Sheila Comer face charges of false imprisonment and cruelty to children, Paulding County jail records show. They are being held without bond pending a hearing Oct. 4.............

87 pounds ... it's unimaginable

and the girls ... stunted growth as well? the neighbour thought they were so much younger

Judge denies bond for couple in teen abuse case

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<DA1MTIOG2@news.ap.org>&ps=931&page=1

DALLAS, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia teen was so malnourished he still had his baby teeth at age 18 and was so isolated that his sisters who lived in the same home had no contact with him aside from hearing his screams, detectives testified Thursday...............

Paulding County Magistrate Judge Martin Valbuena said he wouldn't consider releasing the Comers on bond until authorities investigate why they had lived at 15 addresses in five states since the late 1990s.

Paul Comer's lawyer, Scott Smith, said the different addresses were purely innocent, as the family moved often for work purposes..............

The detectives described Comer's confinement, which began in a 6-by-8 bathroom locked by a deadbolt. The house was filthy and smelled bad, the detectives said, but the bathroom was spotless — Mitch Comer told them he cleaned it often to escape boredom.............

Mitch Comer described being loaded into a van with a blanket over his head Sept. 8, the day after his birthday. He missed the bus leaving Atlanta for Los Angeles, so his stepfather drove to Jackson, Miss., so the teen could catch up with the bus there, Shelton said. The teen said he went willingly so he could be anywhere other than his parents' house.............

Paul Comer has said he fed the teen the same food the family ate, three times a day at 7 a.m., noon and 7 p.m. He also told investigators that he sometimes encouraged his stepson to go outside, but that the teen declined.

More at link.....

ETA...so now PC calls the boy his stepson, so where is the bio father and what is the boy's real name?

Malnourished Georgia 18-year-old still had baby teeth, detective says

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...year-old-still-had-baby-teeth-detective-says/

CBS/AP) DALLAS, Ga. - An 18-year-old male who was released from his Georgia house after being confined to a bedroom for years without sunlight was so malnourished that he still had his baby teeth, a sheriff's detective testified Thursday.

"I thought he was a 12-year-old boy," said Detective Kevin Morgan with the Paulding County Sheriff's Office.

Morgan said Mitch Comer stood 5 feet, 1 inch and weighed 87 pounds when he was found in downtown Los Angeles on Sept. 11. The teen's skin was translucent, and he told investigators he hadn't seen the sun in two years.

Mitch's stepfather, Paul Comer, and mother, Sheila Comer, were arrested last month and charged with cruelty to children and false imprisonment. They appeared in Paulding County Magistrate Court on Thursday for a probable cause hearing

A Georgia boy has accused his parents of abuse and years of imprisonment. Weighing 87lbs when he turned 18 they drove him to Mississippi where they put him on a bus to LA and told him not to come back. More at the links below...

Investigators say Mitch Comer was secluded in a bedroom of the home on Vivid Lane. Two sisters, age 11 and 13, told police they haven't seen him for two years even though they lived in the same house.

Corporal Henson said it was understandable why Mitch never tried to escape. "We believe there was a lot of fear and intimidation and you also have to remember that this is a kid who has been abused for quite some time," he said. "He's small in stature, weighs 87 pounds, so he's probably very afraid."

According to Paulding County Sheriff's spokesman Cpl. Ashley Henson, the retired officer was working security at the bus station and approached Comer because he looked out of place. The man contacted police when Comer said his parents put him on a bus in Mississippi and told him never to come home.

Comer told detectives his parents locked him in his room on Vivid Lane in Dallas, Ga., for several years. His younger sisters told investigators they didn't even know the color of their brother's hair because they hadn't seen him in over two years.

Abuse Description

Charges and Indictment Document

The Dallas parents are accused of keeping their son Mitch locked in a bedroom and practically starving him. When Mitch turned 18, prosecutors said Paul Comer put Mitch on a Greyhound bus to Los Angeles and gave him a list of homeless shelters. They said Mitch was told by Paul to never come home again.

Officials said the 5-foot-1, 87 pound Mitch was taken out of school when he was in the 8th grade, and was so malnourished that he still had his baby teeth at 18.

The grand jury indicted the Comers on seven counts of cruelty to children in the first degree, two counts of false imprisonment and a single count of kidnapping.

This poor boy. Someone asked him what he most missed/wanted and he said he wished he could relive the past 4 years like a normal kid - going to school and seeing people, laughing, etc. They are organizing a fundraiser to pay tuition and to help with his living costs so that he can do this and get a high school diploma. They talked about it on the news but I couldn't find a link when I looked. I'll keep my eyes peeled and will post what I find.

What a horribly cruel thing to do to this poor boy! (His mother must have been related to my mother.) I can really feel for this young man. I know how hurtful abuse like this can be and how life changing it can be. I hope there is a special place in hell for people who abuse their children like this. I also hope the young man will have only good things happen to him from now on and that he can overcome the effects of the abuse and go on to have a good life. His parents need to be locked up in jail for a very long time and the daughters given to a good family to raise.

Jan, I'm so sorry that you had to live through similar abuses. The boy lived with his mom and adoptive dad along with 2 sisters. it must have been horrible for him to hear the family interact like a family should and yet be locked up alone in his room. That kind of treatment is so alien to me that it is hard me that I can't even begin to fathom it. I wish that something could be done and every child/teen could live out those years as lighthearted as they were intended.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back