GUILTY GA - Paul & Sheila Comer for starving, abusing teen son, Paulding County, 2012

Thanks for merging Salem!

Mitch's bio dad posted the following message on the FB event page. The poor guy was completely in thebdark about the abuse his son was receiving!
Hello everyone, I am Mitch's biological father. I was contacted by the Paulding County Sheriff's office only yesterday (10-16-12) and made aware of this situation. I am beyond words as I am sure everyone here can only imagine. To date I only know what I have been able to search and find, so many here probably still know more than I do. No one has heard from me yet, so maybe my showing here will help your efforts. Below I will share with all of you what I had posted privately on my own wall...

----------------------------------------------------------

Writing this right now has to be the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, please bare with me this isn't easy. Roughly 15 years ago I came home from work one day to find an empty house, the woman (Sheila Barnes as I knew her) I had been with for roughly 6 years, and our 3 year old son, "Mitch" were gone, no note, no real sign left that they had ever even been there. She had done this before, often, in the 6 years I knew her, always coming back 2-3 weeks later. This time in particular was different, they were never seen or heard from again.

Many of you reading this may know only 1 thing about me, my sons Rowen and Aidan and how close we are, how much I love them, how much they love me. We do everything together, my home is so filled with toys there isn't even room here for my own stuff, literally. You see the pictures here of the time we spend together, the things we do, and this is only a small portion of it all.

From his birth 18 years ago till he was 3 years old when I last seen him, my son Mitch and I were also insuperable in this same exact way. Unlike Rowen and Aidan, Mitch had a mother who expressed no interest in him. This surprised me that she even took him with her when she disappeared, I doubt I will ever know why she didn't just leave him with me. As a non wed father, and no one knowing where she had gone with my son, I had no legal action I could take. 15 years ago we didn't have the internet like it is today to help search for them. 15 years later with the internet what it is I had still been searching and unable to ever locate him. I had hired a Private Investigator at one time, paid for multiple online people searches, always leading me to a dead end, and address or phone number she no longer lived at, or possibly never even lived at. For 15 years I have searched for my son in vain. I can't even put into words what his being taken from me did to me emotionally. All I've thought over these years is how it must have felt to that little boy to have just been taken from his daddy who he loved so much, and at an age where he was too young to even understand what happened to his daddy.

Yesterday I was contacted by a Detective in Georgia, they had found my son after all these years. This should have been good news, I have to stop here though, I have been throwing up from disgust, and crying to the point my eyes are almost swollen shut right now upon learning of the horrific conditions and levels of abuse my poor son has endured over the past 15 years of his life away from me and in the hands of his own mother and this absolute monster she had married after leaving me.

The event is scheduled for 11/10 and is to raise funds to send Mitch to HS and help him with living expenses, basically to help give him the life that his peers were able to live.
Event Page
I plan on attending or at least contributing in some way. His story really touched me and it's rare that I can make a difference locally. Does any one else plan on going?

i just saw the article today in MSM about the bio father. i sure hope that they are able to eventually be reunited and mitch can become part of a happy home and family.

On 11/10 there was a fundraiser hosted for Mitch. Coverage of it is at the link. It's nice to see something positive come out of this, there are good people out there. I feel sorry for the other 2 girls that lived in his household. Even though yhey weren't locked up I imagine they weren't treated as they shouls be.

Fundraiser Link

Georgia parents plead guilty to locking up and starving their son for years before buying him a one-way ticket to California and throwing away all traces of his childhood

A couple from Georgia have been sentenced to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty to locking up and starving their teenage son for years before buying him a one-way bus ticket to California.

Paul and Sheila Comer held Sheila's son, Mitch Comer, captive for at least three years at their Paulding County home until he was found by police weighing just 87 pounds last September.

On his 18th birthday, they had bought him a one-way bus ticket for California, gave him pamphlets for homeless shelters and threw away all reminders of him, from his school work to baby shoes..........

On Thursday, the couple were silent as they shuffled into the Paulding County courtroom, where they were sentenced to 30 years, half of which they will serve on probation.

They pleaded guilty, meaning they avoided possible sentences of more than 100 years behind bars. It also meant there was no trial, at which their children would have had to testify.

As a condition of the deal, the Comers must also forfeit all of their assets, which will go into a trust fund for their three children, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported.

Half of the money will go to Mitch, who has been placed with a foster family in the area, and the remaining to the couple's two younger daughters, who are also in foster care..............

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...locking-starving-son-years.html#ixzz2MLhODKQx

???? So they only have to serve 15 years and the other 15 is probation? UGH!:furious:

I am surprised. Their sentence is actually reasonable. That's about 4 years for each of the 3 years they imprisoned him in his room. It could have been 30 years probation.

Also he gets half the assets and his sisters get 25% each.
Of course, none of this comes close to making up for not being able to live for 3 of the more important years of a teens life. But it is better than nothing.

I am a pretty tough cookie when it comes to reading cases- I read too many to allow myself to get too emotional over every single one. I'd be a wreck, heh.

Mitch's story had me crying my eyes out though. And not just for Mitch.. there's so many kids suffering this type of neglect, it's just incredible. Why parents would neglect a child, let alone so thoroughly neglect one child over several others in the house just defies my grasp on human nature, it really does (though clearly Mitch's sisters were neglected badly, also, at least they got see daylight :( ).

Agh, the throwing away his memories thing just really tore me up. I think his parents deserve everything they got, and more. Child abusers ought to be sterilised before release so they can't make more kids to damage and murder slowly.

And I hope Mitch and his sisters go on to have wonderful, happy lives and get all the support they need to leave the pain of the past behind them.

eta: Jan, if you're still reading this thread, please accept a warm e-hug and well wishes, I am sorry you had to live like that.

cases like this make my blood boil. There is no excuse for a mother or extended family to sit back and allow their kids to be abused. I have never understood that and never will. I would have died trying to protect my babies. yet these people let it happen. The grandomothers, they have no excuse- not one if they never tried to report the abuse.

I love my sister dearly. But she went from abusive man to the next and allowed her kids to be abused. The last one must have been a wake up call because she has avoided men ever since. She was married to a who was abusing the kids. I called DHR in the county they lived in-anonymously. Something must have happened because she threw him out, moved away and finally became the mother she should have been all their lives. She never knew it was me. I could not live with myself knowing what those kids were going through and not do something. But it was too late- those kids are now messes as adults and I see their kids following the same paths. But at least I know I did what I could. and I can't comprehend those grandmothers not at least making a phone call.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back