GA - Ronald Westbrook, 72, Alzheimer's wanderer, shot to death, 27 Nov 2013

Did the officers even know he no longer lived at that house? Maybe that was something that came out after the shooting.

....The not accepting and not placing is more about the caregiver than it is about the patient.

I agree in some cases, but not everyone can afford a private placement. And facilities vary so much from location to location.

The first facility that my aunt was placed was horrendous. I wouldn't put my dog there - it was that bad. When her husband died, my dad became her legal guardian and my parents moved her to my hometown, to another facility. She looked like a POW when they got her. Within a few months, she looked like a human being again - and the staff were so loving to her.

So while I agree that it may be difficult for caregivers to let go of their loved one and put them in a home, not every facility is created equal and not everyone can afford a "nice" place.

cost of care is really quite, well costly, for our elderly and those with behavioral issues or who need extreme care or monitoring are left with even fewer options. Many assisted living and full care facilities will not take folks with dementia or Alzheimer's as the level of care and monitoring demands more skilled care that requires the facility pay for a higher level of trained personnel.

Many simply make it their policy not to accept those patients.

As to LE not getting that something was off about this man, sadly, I think LEOs are not trained to know what to look for, or not very well trained.

If you were to talk to my Mom you would say what a delightful person. All full of great stories. Problem is a lot of them are not true. LOL She loves to embellish or is it that this is what she remembers. I don't know. All I know is that a stranger meeting her would think she is perfectly fine while my family members know she has problems. The problem with the disease is that they do have moments where they appear perfectly fine. Early stages of the disease it is very hard to tell there's a problem unless you live with them. So I can see LE thinking he had just run out to get his mail and was on his way back to his house unless it was early in the morning when they spoke with him. jmo

Well, this shouldn't by any means fall under any kind of statute of self defense. If the victim was basically standing in the backyard then at worst, he was simply trespassing.

Self defense laws differ by state and can sometimes be hard to interpret.

Typically they are the use of deadly force to protect yourself or someone else that you have reason to believe is in danger of bodily injury.

This explains it better than I can:

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-39/chapter-11/part-6/39-11-611

Yes, this is very sad. This guy has killed the old man who was up to no harm and has probably messed his own life up as well.

And he (the shooter) was not even at his own home -- he was visiting his girlfriend! She was doing the right thing, having called 911 and waiting. He should have let her handle it the way she thought best.

I can only hope that some good may come from all of these reckless, paranoia fueled shootings. We need to have mandatory felony charges for every one of these homicides, including incarcerating gun owners whose guns are involved in "accidental" shootings of friends/loved ones/passersby. Maybe then people will stop and think before playing out their gun toting self defense fantasies. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am a gun right's advocate, and I agree that a responsible gun owner should not leave the safety of a home to confront an intruder. These things are tragic and preventable :(

Obituary

Westbrook, Ronald A. (Chickamauga)
Friday, November 29, 2013

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/11/29/264549/Westbrook-Ronald-A.-Chickamauga.aspx

article.264549.large.jpg

okay, so he's married and this town has a population of just more than 3000 people. Plus, based on stuff coming up on google, they've lived there for at least 10 years. I always say anything's possible, but I'm stunned that the local police didn't know him on sight. That is a TINY town.

jmo

I agree in some cases, but not everyone can afford a private placement. And facilities vary so much from location to location.

So while I agree that it may be difficult for caregivers to let go of their loved one and put them in a home, not every facility is created equal and not everyone can afford a "nice" place.

My mother (and I) couldn't afford placement either. She ended up on Medicaid, in a Medicaid bed in a regular nursing home. I searched high and low for a decent place and found one, and it was not a snake pit like a lot of people think nursing homes are. If anyone lives in the Detroit metro area and is in need of a clean and caring place that takes Medicaid, PM me and I would be happy to let you know where this is. They do no advertising.

GreenLake_Main500_zpsda7fd22c.gif

Chickamauga is where Tonya Craft taught school. It is where hideous accusations were made against her.

I think the Walker County Sheriff Wilson and his wife stayed friends with her but, the Walker County Coroner Dewayne Wilson and his wife Sherry were among her main accusers. He probably doesn't do autopsies anyhow. He just picks the bodies up in an ambulance from his family owned ambulance company and takes care of funeral arrangements in his family owned funeral home.

Fortunately I read that the autopsy is being turned over to the GBI.

The coroner position in Walker County is elected and there are no qualifications necessary to run for the office other than have the requisite amount of money for the filing fee.

I think the whole thing will get swept under the rug.

Other particularly prominent cases in this part of Georgia, the Fred Tokars case, and the Sam Parker / Teresa Parker case.

The Lookout Mountain Judicial Circuit, which includes Chickamauga does not have a sterling reputation.

Chickamauga is where Tonya Craft taught school. It is where hideous accusations were made against her.

I think the Walker County Sheriff Wilson and his wife stayed friends with her but, the Walker County Coroner Dewayne Wilson and his wife Sherry were among her main accusers. He probably doesn't do autopsies anyhow. He just picks the bodies up in an ambulance from his family owned ambulance company and takes care of funeral arrangements in his family owned funeral home.

Fortunately I read that the autopsy is being turned over to the GBI.

The coroner position in Walker County is elected and there are no qualifications necessary to run for the office other than have the requisite amount of money for the filing fee.

I think the whole thing will get swept under the rug.

Other particularly prominent cases in this part of Georgia, the Fred Tokars case, and the Sam Parker / Teresa Parker case.

The Lookout Mountain Judicial Circuit, which includes Chickamauga does not have a sterling reputation.

Tokars was in marietta, no? If so, Marietta is nothing like this place. It's a commuting suberb of Atlanta and not even slightly rural. I've lived Atlanta and Marietta and have gone to North Georgia for cabin vacations. They are not even on the same planet. jmo

eta: I wasn't familiar with the other case you mentioned, but it looks like that was in Dalton. So, yes, that would be more like it. I think one of cabins I stayed in was in Dalton.

"Fred Tokars’ trial was held in early 1997 in Walker County in northwest Georgia.

Cobb Superior Court Judge Jim Bodiford, who presided over the trial after inheriting it from retired Judge Watson White, said it was moved due to the case’s publicity over the years.

“For me, it was one of the more memorable, one of the saddest cases I’ve ever been involved in,” he said.

It took 15 days to select a jury, and the trial lasted 44 days, Mondays through Saturdays.

“We not only had the rigors and challenges of a death penalty case, but we also had the special concerns with the jury who were away from their families, their occupations, their church for about a month and half,” he said."

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - 20 years ago The Tokars case

http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_...-years-ago--The-Tokars-case?mobile_view=false

"Fred Tokars’ trial was held in early 1997 in Walker County in northwest Georgia.

Cobb Superior Court Judge Jim Bodiford, who presided over the trial after inheriting it from retired Judge Watson White, said it was moved due to the case’s publicity over the years.

“For me, it was one of the more memorable, one of the saddest cases I’ve ever been involved in,” he said.

It took 15 days to select a jury, and the trial lasted 44 days, Mondays through Saturdays.

“We not only had the rigors and challenges of a death penalty case, but we also had the special concerns with the jury who were away from their families, their occupations, their church for about a month and half,” he said."

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - 20 years ago The Tokars case

http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_...-years-ago--The-Tokars-case?mobile_view=false

I didn't realize the venue was transferred for Tokars (but not the hired killers themselves, right?) But it looks like only the jury was local. The Judge and the pros, and at least one of the defense counsel was Cobb County? Another being local and another from Montana! In that case, local corruption wouldn't be factor. But, in any case, he was convicted and sentenced to life, right? Sorry I'm not up on the Tokars details, but I know about it because it was a huge deal in Cobb county at the time. I think the guy may have lived in the same neighborhood or really, really close to my in-laws. I think I heard the most about it from them iirc. You wouldn't happen to know the address of their home, would you? I've googled and can't find it.

jmo

You wouldn't happen to know the address of their home, would you? I've googled and can't find it.

jmo
Sorry, no I don't know nor have any special information regarding the Tokars case. Someone gave me a book about it many years ago. I read the book but I did not actually follow the case when it occured.

Mostly what I am interested in regarding this case is to get a sense of the general climate and the players in Walker and Catossa Counties since they seem to be covered by the same judicial circuit.

The Tonya Craft case was recent and many of the players came from Chickamauga. I did nominally follow her case. I was astounded to find the connection between Coroner Dewayne Wilson and the Tonya Craft case. Other cases I have seen mentioned in relation to the area or to Sheriff Wilson or Coroner Wilson are just not that familiar to me and I am not likely to do much more research on them. Sheriff Wilson's connection to the Teresa Parker case seemed cursory.

Sorry, no I don't know nor have any special information regarding the Tokars case. Someone gave me a book about it many years ago. I read the book but I did not actually follow the case when it occured.

Mostly what I am interested in regarding this case is to get a sense of the general climate and the players in Walker and Catossa Counties since they seem to be covered by the same judicial circuit.

The Tonya Craft case was recent and many of the players came from Chickamauga. I did nominally follow her case. I was astounded to find the connection between Coroner Dewayne Wilson and the Tonya Craft case. Other cases I have seen mentioned in relation to the area or to Sheriff Wilson or Coroner Wilson are just not that familiar to me and I am not likely to do much more research on them. Sheriff Wilson's connection to the Teresa Parker case seemed cursory.

They're aren't a lot of year-round locals in that entire area. I posted above, the entire town of Chickamauga has about 3000 people. I mean, just to put it into perspective, some highschools have that many students! It would suprise me if there WEREN'T tons of connections. Which is why I'm surprised that local LE didn't know Mr. Westbrook on sight and also know exactly what his issues were and where he belonged (assuming they didn't). jmo

My mother (and I) couldn't afford placement either. She ended up on Medicaid, in a Medicaid bed in a regular nursing home. I searched high and low for a decent place and found one, and it was not a snake pit like a lot of people think nursing homes are. If anyone lives in the Detroit metro area and is in need of a clean and caring place that takes Medicaid, PM me and I would be happy to let you know where this is. They do no advertising.

GreenLake_Main500_zpsda7fd22c.gif

That looks like a lovely place! Unfortunately, in rural Georgia (where this man lived and where my aunt lived), decent nursing homes/facilities are not that abundant, especially ones that take Alzheimer's/dementia patients. It would be nice if there were more places like the one you linked... Thanks for sharing, though - it makes me smile to see such a place.

Obituary

Westbrook, Ronald A. (Chickamauga)
Friday, November 29, 2013

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/11/29/264549/Westbrook-Ronald-A.-Chickamauga.aspx

article.264549.large.jpg

This is all so very sad. Just look at all this man had accomplished in his lifetime. I am so angry that he met his death in this way. He probably would not have hurt a soul. My deepest sympathy and prayers go out to his family.

My mother has dementia. She is 90 and her memory is just about gone. She stays confused. She was an RN and read constantly. It is really sad and hurts to see her this way.

People with dementia suffer and do not understand why their life is so different. They mean no harm to anyone, IMO.

MOO

That looks like a lovely place! Unfortunately, in rural Georgia (where this man lived and where my aunt lived), decent nursing homes/facilities are not that abundant, especially ones that take Alzheimer's/dementia patients. It would be nice if there were more places like the one you linked... Thanks for sharing, though - it makes me smile to see such a place.

It was pure, sheer luck that I found this place--I happened to be talking to someone and mentioned I was looking - the lady I was talking to had her mother here about 6 years prior.

I think dementia is becoming so common most places are going to end up with at least half dementia patients or they'll be empty.

The nursing home is one of a number owned by a family, there are all different types of settings. This one happens to be in the middle of a great neighborhood, it's a former estate with the main home converted to nursing home use (but totally modernized plumbing and electric). They put a lot of money into the building and the property (which keeps the neighbors happy) and the residents get the benefit of being able to watch people biking and walking their dogs from the porch, which makes things feel more normal. The owners pay more than the average hourly wage for the aides and the nursing staff, so they attract better quality and long-term employees. One of the reasons I wanted my mom there is because there are people who had been working at the home for 10-20 years and they were SO good with the residents. When my mom was dying, every one of them come to say goodbye to her and tell her they loved her, it was so moving to see. They also treated me so well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back