GA - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 #1 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's got to have something to do with her threatening to tell the parents of the 18 year old girl her ex was dating ... i think she was really hearrbroken over him and jealous, too, maybe??

They had gotten in an argument just a few days before.

Too coincidental to me, but that's just my feelings. Plus, he lawyered up and won't take a polygraph.

The kid who knocked on her door and had a crush on her volunteered to take on so I don't suspect him any more.

She wasn't over the ex and was hoping to get back with him. He apparently didn't feel the same.

adit said:
Authorities have questioned a former boyfriend of Grinstead's, Gattis confirmed. "They broke up about nine months ago," she says. "He has been questioned many times at length. He has obtained an attorney.

"They had had a very bad argument, I just found out, several days before she went missing, concerning an 18-year-old that he was dating. My sister did not think that (the 18-year-old's) parents would approve of a 30-year-old dating an 18-year-old. I'm told that she threatened to tell the parents, and they had a very heated argument over this."

This is from an article I found a link to over on Missing and Abducted. I think it's a CBS news article. Anyhow, I think this is interesting and may provide a bit of a motive for the ex. He also had a key to her house, so there would be no signs of forced entry. The fact he has hired an attorney is also a bit suspicious. I wonder if he has an alibi.
I really think this is something to be considered...

They talked to one of the searchers and Tara's sister. The searcher said the team she was with today found a shirt. She was asked to descibe the shirt and she only said it was bagged and given to the GBI. Her sister only said it was a female article and Tara had one just like the one that was found. She was not certain if it was Tara's. She also stated that it was found by a body of water on the outskirts of town.

Bigun21 said:
They talked to one of the searchers and Tara's sister. The searcher said the team she was with today found a shirt. She was asked to descibe the shirt and she only said it was bagged and given to the GBI. Her sister only said it was a female article and Tara had one just like the one that was found. She was not certain if it was Tara's. She also stated that it was found by a body of water on the outskirts of town.
thanks for the update. This isn't sounding very good :(

it stated that this item was found on 11/5. Regardless of the date, an article of clothing was found.

PrayersForMaura said:
I'm just going to quote your post since you already have the info here ...
here's the info about the clock and the lamp...
I'm not thinking it's as big of a deal. Maybe it is, but I am not thinking it is.

Maybe the lightbulb burnt out??
It's just weird to me that the phone and the lamp were still on the bedside table but the clock wasn't, which makes me think that the cat knocked it off.

If she left with someone she knew, and took her purse, maybe she thought she would be right back?
If someone killed her, why would they take her purse and nothing else?
Unless it was a robbery?
But she had her car unlocked and $300 cash in the console.
Wouldn't they check there?
Wouldn't her dog have barked at all?
If her neighbors were nosey enough to notice the bedroom light on or off, wouldn't they notice a dog barking wildly or not?

This doesn't make sense.
Which is why I think she went for a ride with someone or left on her own for a walk.
When I go for a walk, which I do frequently, I don't take a purse. I don't need my purse when I walk my dogs. But when my girlfriend picks me up to go to dinner, or out for coffee, I do bring my purse.

Going for a ride sounds more like it. She may have simply forgotten her cell phone, or the battery was dead and needed a longer charge. It seems likely that someone picked her up. Maybe someone called and she agreed to go out for a cup of coffee or something to eat. Might she have arranged it earlier, but didn't want to tell people at the party so she used the excuse of being tired? Had she arranged to go out with someone, someone she didn't want to tell everyone about? I assume that the police have checked her phone records for cell phone and land line.

PrayersForMaura said:
It's got to have something to do with her threatening to tell the parents of the 18 year old girl her ex was dating ... i think she was really hearrbroken over him and jealous, too, maybe??

They had gotten in an argument just a few days before.

Too coincidental to me, but that's just my feelings. Plus, he lawyered up and won't take a polygraph.

The kid who knocked on her door and had a crush on her volunteered to take on so I don't suspect him any more.

She wasn't over the ex and was hoping to get back with him. He apparently didn't feel the same.
I have to agree with you. This sounds VERY suspecious! Perhaps they had another big fight, and things went too far.

Bigun21 said:
Uh-Oh. This doesn't sound good. Might she be in the water? I hope not!

Looks like the shirt was found around a fishing hole -- "Paradise" something-or-other. The other item was a necklace that had been -- are you ready for this? -- overlooked in earlier searches of Tara's home. Apparently it was on the floor.

Now, I don't know how Tara actually kept house, but all accounts state that she was quite the perfectionist in many ways. That may not always translate to a neat home, but it can. If so, then I feel all disarray found after her disappearance should have been treated with suspicion, at least at first.

I'll try to participate as I am able.

misterallgood said:
I'll try to participate as I am able.

It's good to see you Steve!! We appreciate your information so much!

less

adit said:
Authorities have questioned a former boyfriend of Grinstead's, Gattis confirmed. "They broke up about nine months ago," she says. "He has been questioned many times at length. He has obtained an attorney.

"They had had a very bad argument, I just found out, several days before she went missing, concerning an 18-year-old that he was dating. My sister did not think that (the 18-year-old's) parents would approve of a 30-year-old dating an 18-year-old. I'm told that she threatened to tell the parents, and they had a very heated argument over this."

This is from an article I found a link to over on Missing and Abducted. I think it's a CBS news article. Anyhow, I think this is interesting and may provide a bit of a motive for the ex. He also had a key to her house, so there would be no signs of forced entry. The fact he has hired an attorney is also a bit suspicious. I wonder if he has an alibi.
I hate to have to quote myself, but found this post over on Tara's board and don't want to spread false rumors, which it seems this might be. Though I have no idea if the source of what I'm about to post is credible, she does seem to be very adamant in her defense of Marcus Harper. I stopped short of the point where she mentions other personal (and perhaps unnecessary?) information about another individual, but later in the post she does claim that Tara's parents are very supportive of Marcus. You can find the post over at the findtara.com message board if you want to read the rest:

On the topic of Marcus as a suspect. I will start with RUMOR CONTROL
1.Marcus Harper is NOT DATING NOR has DATED an 18 year old.
2. Marcus has been in town and has an alibi for the entire weekend, which can be validated.
3. Marcus has not dated Tara since October of 2004
4. Marcus does not have a key to Tara's house.
5. Marcus has completed and passed every portion of a polygraph test.
6. Marcus' truck has completed a thorough investigation and the only thing found were cob webs behind the seat where he needed to clean the seats.

Ocilla police call off search for missing teacher

Posted on Wed, Nov. 09, 2005

More than two weeks after the search began for missing Irwin County teacher Tara Grinstead, volunteers and public safety officials have completed their search of the county, Ocilla Police Chief Billy Hancock said.

"Essentially, we are through unless we get any additional leads that would call us back," he said.

Investigators are still trying to determine what happened to the Hawkinsville native and Irwin County High School teacher, who was last seen Oct. 22.

Cadaver dogs, horses, helicopters, four-wheelers and people on foot have searched every day since she was reported missing, Hancock said. More than 50 public safety agencies from across the state have assisted in the search of Irwin County, which spans 358 square miles, he said.

Hancock said some clothes have been found, but there's no indication they belong to Grinstead.

"I don't know whether to be excited that they didn't find anything or disappointed," he said. "It could be viewed both ways."

Hancock said that a latex glove, found outside of Grinstead's home shortly after she was reported missing, is being processed for fingerprints and DNA. He said it's not yet known if the glove is related to her disappearance.

Hancock said little has changed in the investigation and that there are no suspects in the disappearance of Grinstead, a former Miss Tifton and a past contestant in the Miss Georgia pageant.

Continued:

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/13117648.htm

It sounds like she was more distraught over the break up even a year later (since they broke up 10/04) than more people knew about. I wonder about suicide as her ex-boy friend claimed she had threatened... yet where is she and how did she get there? Sometimes people are so depressed and others aren't even aware of it. I know when I broke up with my now husband- NO ONE knew how I really felt and reacted behind closed doors. I was miserable and thank God that he helped me get through that point. I hope she hadn't heard something about him and someone else and just hit a breaking point.
He mentioned she had emailed him, I wonder what it said and if the "one last hug" statement was her way of saying good bye.

CrimeHater said:
It sounds like she was more distraught over the break up even a year later (since they broke up 10/04) than more people knew about. I wonder about suicide as her ex-boy friend claimed she had threatened... yet where is she and how did she get there? Sometimes people are so depressed and others aren't even aware of it. I know when I broke up with my now husband- NO ONE knew how I really felt and reacted behind closed doors. I was miserable and thank God that he helped me get through that point. I hope she hadn't heard something about him and someone else and just hit a breaking point.
He mentioned she had emailed him, I wonder what it said and if the "one last hug" statement was her way of saying good bye.

This is a good point. I hadn't thought about suicide. Poor Tara. :(

Why would she leave the house with her purse and her keys to commit suicide? I don't know, it doesn't seem right to me. The necklace on the floor, the clock under the bed. And she did live alone in the house, why wouldn't she kill herself there?

MrsMush99 said:
Why would she leave the house with her purse and her keys to commit suicide? I don't know, it doesn't seem right to me. The necklace on the floor, the clock under the bed. And she did live alone in the house, why wouldn't she kill herself there?

All good points. Add to that her car was at home. Unless she walked to her suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph