GUILTY GA - Timothy Coggins, 23, Murdered, Sunny Side, 9 Oct 1983 *arrests*

Nearly 35 years later, man found guilty in 'racially-motivated' murder (with clip)

"...Gebhardt was sentenced to life in prison, plus 30 years.

"Hopefully, sir, you've stabbed your last victim," the judge told Gebhardt.

Coggins family broke down in tears after the verdict was read, thanking the court and the jurors for finally bringing them justice....

The entire trial took less than a week from start to finish."

TIMOTHY COGGINS: Nearly 35 years later, Frank Gebhardt found guilty in 'racially-motivated' murder
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank Gebhardt Trial Verdict 06/26/18

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank Gebhardt Trial Sentencing 06/26/18

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timothy Coggins family after guilty verdict in murder trail: 'We are eternally grateful' (with clips)
"Thirty-five years is too long, but we are grateful to be here today," Coggins' family told a packed courtroom.

"GRIFFIN, Ga. — The family of a black man who was stabbed and dragged to death in 1983 said they finally have closure after a jury convicted the man responsible....

"It has been 34 years for us to be here today, and we are finally here and now we can go back to Tims' grave and to my grandmother's grave and we can say, 'Hey, you guys can now rest in peace.' So for that, Judge Sams, we are eternally grateful," Heather said.

"We understand that this has been tiresome and taxing to everyone, but we are completely grateful to be here today," Heather said. "I personally want to thank every juror for dedicating your time to look at what was covered and come up with the best solution possible.".."

Timothy Coggins family after guilty verdict in murder trail: 'We are eternally grateful'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dgo8eg1WkAMcjqz.jpg

After 35 years, RIP
candle-smiley.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defense Attorney Mike Koribanics Discusses the Cold Case Lynching of Timothy Coggins

Jan 4, 2019

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 16 2020
How the racially-motivated cold case murder of young Black man was finally solved decades later
timothy-coggins-ht-jt-200709_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

Timothy Coggins is shown in a photo that was posted to the Facebook page of the Spalding County Sheriff's Office.

''He had suffered multiple stab wounds and was tortured — his body chained to the back of a vehicle and dragged before it was dumped by a wood pile, according to the Spalding County Sheriff’s Office.

Former Spalding County sheriff’s deputy Oscar Jordan, another one of the few Black officers on the force at the time, said he was called into the coroner’s office and asked to identify the body.

“He had seven stab wounds to the front of his chest. … And then he had a cross cut across the chest. And then, [on his] back, it was the same way. I was later told that it represented the Confederate flag,” Jordan said. “When I reported back to the sheriff ... I told him I did not know who this individual was. There was no way that I could know, because he was so disfigured.”

“The worst part about it [is] they didn't kill him,” he added. “[The] autopsy showed he bled out. Thrown behind a pile of wood. Left to die.”

Coggins was just 23 years old.

The Coggins story is now the subject of a new program called “In The Cold Dark Night” from ABC News “20/20” and Lone Wolf Studios that will air on Friday, July 17 at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back