GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *Guilty/Not Guilty*

I did not realize Duke was going to be there...

Feb 9, 2023

FITZGERALD, Ga. (WALB) - The two men — one of which was convicted on Wilcox County charges and the other was acquitted of murder in Irwin County — charged in connection to the 2005 death and disappearance of an Irwin County teacher and beauty queen will be back in court Tuesday morning.

The court hearing was for Ryan Duke and Bo Dukes, who were both charged in connection to the death and disappearance of Tara Grinstead. Their attorneys are trying to get the charges in Ben Hill County thrown out, claiming the statute of limitations has run out.

The hearing was in Ben Hill County.

Two witnesses took the stand at the Tuesday hearing.

Gary Rothwell, the former special agent in charge of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Perry office, was the first witness.
[.....]
The state argued the statute of limitations passed for murder charges. The defense argued murder is the only charge with no statute of limitations.

Jason Shoudel, the lead GBI agent on the Grinstead case, also took the witness stand.
[.....]
A decision was not reached at the Tuesday hearing. There will be a continuation of the hearing but a date has not been set yet.

and just to keep my notes straight - going go ahead & post this. That way I can shorten this up a bit.

Tuesday, February 7th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9am ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla, still missing) – *Ryan Alexander Duke (21 @ time of crime/38) indicted (6/3/22) & arraigned (7/5/22 waived) with concealing the death of another, hindering apprehension or punishment of a criminal, 2 counts of concealment of facts & 2 counts of tampering with evidence & lying. Ben Hill County #22-CR-113
Found not guilty 5/20/22 of murder, but guilty on concealing a death. Sentenced to 10 years.
Court info from 6/3/22 thru 6/16/22 reference post #658 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-22-oct-2005-guilty-not-guilty.430005/page-33

7/5/22 Update: On June 30, 2021, a second motion was filed seeking the disqualification of Hart & Rigby from presiding over any prosecution in the case. The motion accused both Rigby & Hart of "violating their statutory & ethical duties in bringing the charges in Ben Hill County knowing they are time-barred" & claimed they were "necessary witnesses" to Ryan's plea in bar. The motion states that on June 8, Ryan filed a Plea in Bar seeking dismissal of the indictment "in its entirety" due to the statute of limitations & said their team was "still investigating the conduct of the district attorney. On July 5, a hearing on Ryan's newest charges was held in Ben Hill County, with his counsel waiving his arraignment. "We were not expecting any of this. We were all focused on parole, so it was definitely a big shock, but we're ready to challenge this," Merchant stated. On 8/30/22 Ryan will appear in court in Ben Hill County for his Plea in Bar at 9:00am. Currently, Ryan is being held at the Georgia Diagnostic & Classification State Prison in Jackson, GA.
8/30/22 Update: A motions hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday, 2/7/23 in Ben Hill Superior Court before Judge Robert Chasteen.
2/7/23 Update: The court hearing was for Ryan Duke & Bo Dukes, who were both charged in connection to the death and disappearance of Tara Grinstead. Their attorneys are trying to get the charges in Ben Hill County thrown out, claiming the statute of limitations has run out. The hearing was in Ben Hill County. Two witnesses took the stand at the Tuesday hearing. Gary Rothwell, the former special agent in charge of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Perry office, was the first witness. The state argued the statute of limitations passed for murder charges. The defense argued murder is the only charge with no statute of limitations. Jason Shoudel, the lead GBI agent on the Grinstead case, also took the witness stand. A decision was not reached at the Tuesday hearing. There will be a continuation of the hearing but a date has not been set yet.

Here's another article on the hearing.

Feb. 8, 2023

The defense teams for both Ryan Duke and Bo Dukes are currently fighting to dismiss the charges against the two men in Ben Hill County.

A hearing for Ryan was set soon after new charges came following his conviction and acquittal during his trial last May, with Bo's attorney later filing a motion claiming his previous charges in the county were tolled by the statute of limitations. Less than two weeks after Ryan was acquitted of Tara Grinstead's murder in a two-week trial in May, he was indicted on six additional charges. According to a copy of the indictment, a Ben Hill County grand jury indicted him with one count of concealing the death of another, hindering the apprehension or punishment of a criminal, two counts of concealment of facts, and two counts of tampering with evidence.

a lot more in article - but no next court date...

Feb. 7, 2023
FITZGERALD, Ga. (WALB) - The two men — one of which was convicted on Wilcox County charges and the other was acquitted of murder in Irwin County — charged in connection to the 2005 death and disappearance of an Irwin County teacher and beauty queen will be back in court Tuesday morning.
[.....]
Two witnesses took the stand at the Tuesday hearing.

Gary Rothwell, the former special agent in charge of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Perry office, was the first witness.

Rothwell was questioned about a tip in 2005 that claimed both Ryan Duke and Bo Dukes claimed to have been involved in Grinstead’s death and burned her body. That tip came during a bonfire party and there was an incident report made, Rothwell testified. While on the stand, Rothwell that the tip wasn’t followed up on and it should have been. He was also questioned if the tip was followed up on 2008 and he said it wasn’t.
[.....]
Jason Shoudel, the lead GBI agent on the Grinstead case, also took the witness stand.

Shoudel said the Grinstead case was the biggest file in GBI history. Several different documents from an over 4,000-page case file on Grinstead’s death and disappearance were called to question on Tuesday pertaining to charges against Ryan Duke and Bo Dukes in Ben Hill County.
[.....]
A decision was not reached at the Tuesday hearing. There will be a continuation of the hearing but a date has not been set yet.

I had Stina_108 helping me with this case - but it seems they have disappeared from WS.

Was wondering if anyone reading here - can access the GA court sites? Here is what I have:
Bo - Ben Hill County #17CR-189

Ryan - Ben Hill County #22-CR-113

Also Bo has charges in Houston County - #2019CR053334-1 thru -12 - this is the charges on NYE (1/1/2019) on 2 ladies. And another case which I do not have the case # for in Houston County. One lady assaulted on 1/19/17.

TIA if anyone here can help! :)

I had Stina_108 helping me with this case - but it seems they have disappeared from WS.

Was wondering if anyone reading here - can access the GA court sites? Here is what I have:

Also Bo has charges in Houston County - #2019CR053334-1 thru -12 - this is the charges on NYE (1/1/2019) on 2 ladies. And another case which I do not have the case # for in Houston County. One lady assaulted on 1/19/17.

Sorry, @Niner. I'm striking out finding a site free from a required sign-up subscription for a fee. I did find what appears to be a link to their virtual courtroom but nothing on the calendar.

Sorry, @Niner. I'm striking out finding a site free from a required sign-up subscription for a fee. I did find what appears to be a link to their virtual courtroom but nothing on the calendar.

Thanks for tiring. Guess I will have to wait for articles...

Just bumping up the thread - I am coming up zero over here for any updates...

There should be a continuation hearing - motions - from the last one on 2/7.

@JerseyGirl - you are always good at finding recent articles.... :D

Find anything on this for either Bo Dukes or Ryan Duke - ??

my quote - for the specific cases I am looking for.

TIA if you can find some thing!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley

5/9/23

Ryan Duke’s attorney Asleigh Merchant responded to the new indictment in Ben Hill County in a court document that says due to expired statutes of limitations, the indictment should not stand.

“Despite receiving numerous reports from multiple individuals that Ms. Grinstead had been killed, that her body had been burned, and that Bo Duke and Ryan Duke were involved, no law enforcement official interviewed either Bo Duke or Ryan Duke about the reports until 2016 when Bo Dukes was first questioned by the G.B.I. The G.B.I acknowledge, under oath and in Court two separate cases, that the agency was area of these repeated and earlier reports beginning in 2005 but utterly failed to act on them in any way.”

[..]

During a post-verdict press conference, prosecutors said they did not foresee future charges against Bo Dukes in Irwin County, because they believe Ryan Duke is the person responsible for Grinstead’s murder.

Bo Dukes was convicted in 2019 for lying to the GBI, hindering the arrest of Ryan Duke and concealing Grinstead’s death. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison. He was never charged for murder.

2/7/23

Bo Dukes and Ryan Duke back in court to ask judge to throw out charges in Grinstead case​

The hearing wrapped up around 5 p.m. but no ruling has been given at this time.

From this report, I don't think the case will go forward. JMO

Thank you for that info @Seattle1 - that is the last hearing I have for them - 2/7/23.

I have in my notes that the hearing was continued but they had no date set at that time.

I thought it was kind of strange that they could just charge them again in a different county. I do not believe this case is going forward either. They are both in prison - so... seems a waste of taxpayers money. JMO!

Thank you for that info @Seattle1 - that is the last hearing I have for them - 2/7/23.

I have in my notes that the hearing was continued but they had no date set at that time.

I thought it was kind of strange that they could just charge them again in a different county. I do not believe this case is going forward either. They are both in prison - so... seems a waste of taxpayers money. JMO!
I haven't had time to look at this case for a while. But this is sort of odd. I haven't seen what the new charges are. It may be hard to move this forward honestly (unfortunately.) I find these two guys to be so despicable. I don't think we will every truly know what all they did and who did what. Neither of them is believable.

I haven't had time to look at this case for a while. But this is sort of odd. I haven't seen what the new charges are. It may be hard to move this forward honestly (unfortunately.) I find these two guys to be so despicable. I don't think we will every truly know what all they did and who did what. Neither of them is believable.

Here is what I have in my notes:

Bo Dukes (21 @ time of crime/38) indicted (6/1/22) with hindering the apprehension or punishment of a criminal, concealing death of another & tampering with evidence. Ben Hill County #17CR-189
Article stated trial will start either on 6/22/23 or 6/27/23.

and pending cases:
GA -2 ladies (Jan. 1, 2019, Houston County) - Bo Dukes (34 @ time of crime/37/now 38) re-indicted (5/19/22) with 1 count of rape, 2 counts of aggravated sodomy, involving both women; 2 counts of kidnapping, 2 counts of aggravated assault with a dangerous weapon, 4 counts of possession of a firearm during commission of a felony & 1 count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Held without bond. Houston County #2019CR053334-1 thru -12

GA – 1 Lady (Jan. 19, 2017, Houston County) - *Bo Dukes (32 @ time of crime/34/now 38) indicted & charged (Oct, 2019) with 1 count of sexual assault rape. Houston County

*Ryan Alexander Duke (21 @ time of crime/38) indicted (6/3/22) & arraigned (7/5/22 waived) with concealing the death of another, hindering apprehension or punishment of a criminal, 2 counts of concealment of facts & 2 counts of tampering with evidence & lying. Ben Hill County #22-CR-113

If you listen to and/or read today's posts, it's pretty obvious that LE received notice of both defendants including their location as far back as 2005, and failed to act on the information. I don't think the charges in Ben Hill County will move forward pursuant to the statute of limitations.

I also think the jurors in Ryan Duke's trial got it right, and Bo Duke was the subject of political favor -- totally used the early bird analogy to influence the charges, or lack of, against him, and throw Ryan under the bus. It was also Bo Dukes who continued to attack women while on bail release.

If you listen to and/or read today's posts, it's pretty obvious that LE received notice of both defendants including their location as far back as 2005, and failed to act on the information. I don't think the charges in Ben Hill County will move forward pursuant to the statute of limitations.

I also think the jurors in Ryan Duke's trial got it right, and Bo Duke was the subject of political favor -- totally used the early bird analogy to influence the charges, or lack of, against him, and throw Ryan under the bus. It was also Bo Dukes who continued to attack women while on bail release.
I absolutely agree 100%. Often wonder, had he remained quiet and under the radar after his so called immunity deal that he proclaimed to have been provided by GBI would he have avoided charges in case? He couldn’t help himself, had to be front and center, exposed in online message boards and even worse thought untouchable in his multiple sexual assaults (3 victims likely others unreported). BD is where he belongs, in prison. Since Prosecutor refuses to even consider him as suspect in Tara’s death, praying he will be held accountable for assault victims too, sadly one victim passed away.

Melly not in session until Monday due to sicknesses with counsel and possibly a juror

WATCH LIVE: Beauty Queen Murder — GA v. Bo Dukes and Ryan Duke — Motions Hearing​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back