Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

Adaam Kowalczyk, Davidson High School’s Athletic Director says, “We can’t prevent everything and that’s just the sad truth but what we’re trying to do is really just minimize the risk.”

That includes the Davidson Fine Arts track and field team.

“The biggest thing is communicating. Letting somebody know where you are at all times. With technology that helps a lot that people can track your location on making sure if maybe you had that on your cell phone if you’re running with a phone.”

No wonder he sat outside a lot if he shared a studio apartment with four other people. And the neighbor said that Riley would take a shortcut to her running trail through this apartment complex, so he would have seen her do this frequently. So it is likely he targeted her.

Glad that the neighbor's security camera showed Ibarra disposing of bloody clothes in several apartment garbage bins. Lots of evidence, it sounds like, against this guy.
I put my money on a sneak attack. Waiting for her after knowing her routine. I just don't see him as a runner.
I also wonder about previous violent tendencies but do recall that his wife/finance defended his character.

here's a link to Mayor Kelly Girtz's press conference if you're interested in watching.

The responding police officer who found Laken Riley’s body conducted lifesaving measures when he noticed obvious signs she wasn’t breathing and couldn’t find a pulse, according to the death investigation incident report obtained by NewsNation.

I just caught up on this whole thread - my heart breaks for this beautiful girl and my thoughts go out to her family & friends.

There’s a couple of things that stand out for me in this case:

The friend notifying the police so early on - this suggests to me that something must’ve alerted the friend ( I don’t believe anyone would report to the police if their friend didn’t turn up for a couple of hours - they could’ve just got chatting to somebody.. went for coffee etc) I’m guessing Laken had her location shared on her phone and this raised her friends suspicion.

The charge regarding stopping a 911 call - this suggests to me that the crime didn’t turn violent straight away - I usually find in ‘blunt trauma’ cases that the victim is rendered unconscious from behind so has no chances to call for help - I’m intrigued to find out what he tried to do to her first which led to the attempted call.

This to me doesn’t seem like a carefully planned attack (if it is then he must be very dumb) - things like dumping clothing in his apartment block bins etc suggests that he panicked afterwards. also attacking somebody so close to his apartment obviously he was always going to be investigated.

Then again maybe it was planned but his plan failed as he certainly didn’t plan for how loved Laken Hope Riley was and how quickly her friend would realise something was wrong! This gave him literally zero time after the attack to get away.

Laken Hope Riley was a beautiful girl (with an equally beautiful name!) she had what seems like such a loving family and strong friendship group and this has all been taken away in the most sickening of ways.

I am sick of women being brutally murdered when they are just going about daily activities such as exercise or walking home - this isn’t just a problem in the USA - it’s just as bad in the UK as well we have some equally sickening recent cases (Ashling Murphy, Sarah Everard, Sabina Nessa just to name a few) When will this end.

RIP Laken.

Men are great protectors of women, and also sometimes their brutal slayers.

Very sad that it is this way

“In this case, the offender was met with resistance which he wasn’t expecting, and it got overpowering and he couldn’t control it and he resorted to violence,” John Lang Jr., a former Georgia Bureau of Investigation investigator, told WSB-TV.

“But he didn’t know what he was in for and I suspect she probably fought back,” said Lang, a criminal profiler not involved in the case.

“He’s not a very big fellow and he may have been overwhelmed by her size and her strengths and tenacity to fight back.”

“Concealing her body, that’s just an opportunity to distance himself from the crime,” Lang told WSB-TV, adding that investigators can’t rule out sexual assault as a possible motive in the heinous crime.

“In looking at this whole thing, this is like a disorganized offender. That’s what we call them” he added. “He just does it on the spur of the moment for whatever motivating factors.”

A group of Woodstock women assembled the bows and distributed them throughout the community in her honor.
I must be tired, because I looked at that headline for about a full minute before I realised they meant like, ribbons, rather than weaponry, and my only thought was, "well, that's one way of proactively approaching the problem".

MOO

A woman who lives in the same apartment complex as Laken Riley’s alleged killer says she would often see the 22-year-old victim walk past their complex prior to her death, according to 11 Alive.

A neighbor who lives in the same residential complex as Ibarra told 11 Alive that she had seen Riley cross by her apartment in the complex to get to the nature trails near where her body was found.

The neighbor, who spoke with 11 Alive on condition of anonymity, said a few minutes before Diego was arrested, he greeted her as they crossed paths.

Soon, he was seen talking to an officer who then reportedly handcuffed him, the woman said.

Last edited:

Ibarra was arrested in 2022 after entering the US illegally and was “paroled and released for further processing,” according to a statement from ICE.

In October 2023, the suspect and his brother, Diego Ibarra, also received misdemeanor citations for shoplifting just over $200 of clothes and food in Athens, Georgia, according to a police report. The pair was advised about a pre-arrest diversion program, the report said, but CNN could not yet determine whether they pursued it.

(the brother) Diego Ibarra, who is also undocumented, was also arrested Friday and faces a federal charge of possessing a fraudulent green card and up to a decade in prison, according to the US Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Georgia.

During the stop, Diego Ibarra gave the officer a fraudulent permanent resident card, a criminal complaint states. Federal authorities were then notified.

The brother first encountered US Border Patrol agents in April 2023, and he was processed for immediate removal, according to court documents.

Diego Ibarra “claimed a fear of return to Venezuela,” and due to a finding of credible fear, he was released, pending adjudication of his claim for asylum, according to court documents.

“(Diego) Ibarra has not applied for or lawfully obtained a permanent resident card.”

So many chances to prevent LHR's deat, so many off-ramps on the wreck of a highway...imho.

jmho ymmv lrr

I think this cretin might have been trying to engage in convo or was following her and she attempted 911 which enraged him. I would not be surprised if they are other women he bothered on their run.

I sensed I was missing the full meaning and message of your post,( vrbbm above), so I ran up the white flag and... Wait! Searched and just found this re. ... "to engage in convo" ...

"What does making convo mean?
"...to say things to someone who you do not know well, in order to be polite."
Ref.: 'SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases.'
@ModestyBlaise, I can well imagine this horrific drama just as you posited it.
When Laken - in caution and as likely ofttimes mentally rehearsed - went to use her phone, she could have had no notion that this person babbling mere feet from her could simply, insanely, not allow any call. In that moment, in his twisted mind, it became his life or 'this girl's'.

ata,mvho

Scream
Run as fast as you can
And Keep Screaming, Until you find Bunches of People Wondering 'What's Wrong with You!'

Last edited:
A woman who lives in the same apartment complex as Laken Riley’s alleged killer says she would often see the 22-year-old victim walk past their complex prior to her death, according to 11 Alive.

A neighbor who lives in the same residential complex as Ibarra told 11 Alive that she had seen Riley cross by her apartment in the complex to get to the nature trails near where her body was found.

The neighbor, who spoke with 11 Alive on condition of anonymity, said a few minutes before Diego was arrested, he greeted her as they crossed paths.

Soon, he was seen talking to an officer who then reportedly handcuffed him, the woman said.
This article also states that there are others in the apartment complex who know more about the attack but didn’t want to talk to a reporter.

This article also states that there are others in the apartment complex who know more about the attack but didn’t want to talk to a reporter.
I’ve read the article a few times but I don’t see where it states that others know more but don’t want to talk to reporters. Could you kindly point that out in the article? Thank you.

I’ve read the article a few times but I don’t see where it states that others know more but don’t want to talk to reporters. Could you kindly point that out in the article? Thank you.

@RetLawyer in the post post you quoted if you look in the first sentence (shared below) you can click on the 11 Alive that is blue and read the article that states what the OP said.

This is a direct quote from that article:
Several of the neighbors whom 11Alive spoke to on Tuesday evening were in the process of packing up and moving from the complex following the murder and then the arrest of the Ibarra brothers a day later.
They said while many aren’t talking throughout the complex, there are many people who saw plenty and know more than what they’re saying publicly. They hope those individuals have come forward and shared the information with law enforcement.

@RetLawyer in the post post you quoted if you look in the first sentence (shared below) you can click on the 11 Alive that is blue and read the article that states what the OP said.

This is a direct quote from that article:
Several of the neighbors whom 11Alive spoke to on Tuesday evening were in the process of packing up and moving from the complex following the murder and then the arrest of the Ibarra brothers a day later.
They said while many aren’t talking throughout the complex, there are many people who saw plenty and know more than what they’re saying publicly. They hope those individuals have come forward and shared the information with law enforcement.
Thank you very much! I was reading the wrong article. I appreciate the link to the article from which you quoted. I had not seen that article yet. Interesting and the information just makes the whole crime that much worse. So enraging!

DBM

Answered further up thread

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JammerSue