Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

I know it's his legal right, but IMO there was zero chance he was getting a chance to be released on bond.

@alcaprari23

BREAKING: Jose Ibarra's attorneys have informed the court that he will not seek to bond out at this time. Therefore no court hearing will be scheduled for him.

Perhaps it is an attempt to avoid more info coming out? Don't they usually present evidence or at least discuss some of the reasons why it should or shouldn't be granted? I'd think that would put more info in the public and with no chance for bond to even be granted (I suspect he'd be held on the immigration issue if for some reason he was given bond in this case) it makes legal sense for him to NOT put himself in a position to have more negative press.

I’ve read the article a few times but I don’t see where it states that others know more but don’t want to talk to reporters. Could you kindly point that out in the article? Thank you.
I read back thru the article and those statements have been removed—likely to protect the neighbor. Basically, she said that neighbors are afraid to talk and implied they saw more than the trash being disposed of.

The funeral for Laken Riley, the Augusta University nursing student who was tragically killed near the University of Georgia's intramural fields in Athens late last week, will be held on Friday.

A visitation will be held Friday from noon until 2 p.m. at Woodstock City Church.

The funeral service will immediately follow at the same location until 3 p.m.

I sensed I was missing the full meaning and message of your post,( vrbbm above), so I ran up the white flag and... Wait! Searched and just found this re. ... "to engage in convo" ...

"What does making convo mean?
"...to say things to someone who you do not know well, in order to be polite."
Ref.: 'SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases.'
@ModestyBlaise, I can well imagine this horrific drama just as you posited it.
When Laken - in caution and as likely ofttimes mentally rehearsed - went to use her phone, she could have had no notion that this person babbling mere feet from her could simply, insanely, not allow any call. In that moment, in his twisted mind, it became his life or 'this girl's'.

ata,mvho

Scream
Run as fast as you can
And Keep Screaming, Until you find Bunches of People Wondering 'What's Wrong with You!'
I was told by a former merchant seaman I worked with who had traveled to all sorts of places that the best way to deal with someone approaching you in a way that makes you feel unsafe is to be loud and crazy and weird and unpredictable at them, especially if just running isn't viable or helpful in that circumstance. He said he'd successfully put off a couple of potential muggers (or worse) that way. It draws attention to them and makes them second guess if you're a good potential victim or someone that might hurt them instead. I have no idea if its true and haven't been put in a situation yet where I needed to test it (and if it came to it maybe I wouldn't remember or it wouldn't feel right) but I do think of it whenever I hear of a woman who was killed while literally on the phone to someone. Sadly I don't think being on the phone (whether to call emergency services or someone else) is ever a deterrent to these murderers, its not the kind of immediate in-the-moment consequence that would put them off IMO

“My family has faced the most devastating, unimaginable loss that anyone could ever be forced to endure,” grieving mom Allyson Phillips wrote on Facebook on Saturday.

“It would be really easy to lose our faith in mankind because of this senseless and avoidable tragedy,” she said. “Please know that every act of kindness has warmed our hearts and brought us joy during our worst nightmare.”

“We love you all and hope that you feel from the bottom of our hearts how much every single thing that has been done for us has meant,” her mom wrote in her Facebook posting afterward.

“I love you all. Please continue to pray for our family as we put one foot in front of the other moving forward.”

attention is one thing and being bashed in the head and killed is another. what is wrong with these murderers? Is killing just the most fun thing in their lives? Do they all think that they will never be caught? Are they proud and happy after this? I used to think is it just some atavistic throw back to reptile days and their hind brain just causes them to kill like a wild animal? ... lions in the Serengeti... gecko eats a fly...
Sometimes to join a gang, you have to prove yourself. Or sometimes there are threats from gangs whether or not you want to join. I realize I’m responding more than a week after your post — time may tell.

I was told by a former merchant seaman I worked with who had traveled to all sorts of places that the best way to deal with someone approaching you in a way that makes you feel unsafe is to be loud and crazy and weird and unpredictable at them, especially if just running isn't viable or helpful in that circumstance. He said he'd successfully put off a couple of potential muggers (or worse) that way. It draws attention to them and makes them second guess if you're a good potential victim or someone that might hurt them instead. I have no idea if its true and haven't been put in a situation yet where I needed to test it (and if it came to it maybe I wouldn't remember or it wouldn't feel right) but I do think of it whenever I hear of a woman who was killed while literally on the phone to someone. Sadly I don't think being on the phone (whether to call emergency services or someone else) is ever a deterrent to these murderers, its not the kind of immediate in-the-moment consequence that would put them off IMO

I did that one time when I was about 20. I was leaving a bar and walking down an alley because it was a shortcut.

These 3 guys came out of nowhere and were way too quiet just walking behind me. I turned around and said, "Hey, you guys going to the pool now?" I sort of jerked and snorted a weird laugh.

They stopped and I kept walking.

I really don't know if that helped or if they were not going to bother me anyway.. but I acted on instinct because someone had told me the same thing about acting crazy.

It's not hard for me to act crazy. :O

Curious whether the killer is from the country of origin he claims to be from ?
And has he said he is afraid of going back due to some crimes he may have committed there ?
Has he killed anyone else, in whatever country he claims to be from ?
LE need to show past and present photos to other countries, and find out who else Jose has harmed or worse.

Legally seeking asylum, does not mean entering illegally into a country.
It means to apply for and wait in one's home country.
Jose Ibarra already committed an offense by breaking and entering into the U.S.
He had committed crimes in the U.S., before the death of Laken.
He had funds for an apartment -- while not being gainfully employed.

This whole murder was preventable, and I think that's the most egregious of it all.

Perhaps it is an attempt to avoid more info coming out? Don't they usually present evidence or at least discuss some of the reasons why it should or shouldn't be granted? I'd think that would put more info in the public and with no chance for bond to even be granted (I suspect he'd be held on the immigration issue if for some reason he was given bond in this case) it makes legal sense for him to NOT put himself in a position to have more negative press.
Bolding mine.
Agreed.
And this makes me think he committed crimes elsewhere and doesn't want to face justice ?
Omo.

Last edited:
WANF requested the 911 call, but the request was denied, under O.C.G.A. § 50-18-72 (a) (26.1), which states that investigators can withhold it when a death is captured on the recording.

On Wednesday, an Athens-Clarke County Police lieutenant said “no dialogue exists” on the call, adding that “911 calls are part of the investigation, " which is why it has not been released.

We will likely learn, as further details are released, when the 911 call was made, the length of it before JI “hindered” the call further. The police or prosecution should be able to determine the location of the mobile device at the time the call was placed. This kind of information has or will tell them how long Laken had been detained/held before he killed her, thus informing the kidnapping and false imprisonment charges. This part of the information and charges certainly shows, IMO, that it was not an ambush attack, where JI was lying in wait and then immediately killed her.

ATHENS, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - An open records request unveils new details about the death investigation of a nursing student killed on the University of Georgia campus last month.

Laken Riley’s phone made a call to 911, the Athens-Clarke County Police Department confirmed in its answer to Atlanta News First’s request for records related to the incident. However, on Tuesday, the request for the call was declined, pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 50-18-72 (a) (26.1), which states that investigators can withhold it when a death is captured on the recording.

Laken Riley’s phone called 911 during her murder

Updated: 8 hours ago

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nursestump