George Sodder saw a picture of a young girl in a magazine that he believed was Betty

can you please forward that to me as well? I will start looking for her using her name and whitepages.com

Thanks

Christine, I am getting ready to email you with the girls name and a picture. Went to Walt Whitman Intermediate 44-48 and graduated from St. Joseph, 1956. She may know something.
Picture has been sent. Email titled Girl from Walt Whitman School. Yes, Catsy, will forward to you, also. Can you pm me your email address-can't insert picture in pm.

Oh sorry
she has a gold account perfect send it to christine

Christine she went to the same school either A. Betty Sodder, or her lookalike went to.

We need to know if she knew her, I think the best way to do this would be to send her a photo of Betty Sodder, and ask her if she knew her. Don't give away the name Betty Sodder, because odds are, her name was changed, I would just send her the photo and say "Did you know this girl?" We are trying to track her down or something like that. Just let her know that family is searching for her. And see what she knows if anything. It could potentially help us a great deal in this case.

And yes Fox wouldn't mind having it forwarded to me too. Might find something.

Thanks Fox and Christine. Your both great!

Newmom this is a big help! I just went there, registered, and asked if anyone knew of the photo or the school. I also mentioned Louise Kruger in the hopes someone knew of her. THANKS!

It was already established years ago that the school did exist because Mr Sodder went there however they wouldn't give him any information about the little girl. So YES the school did exist I am sure it has been closed for many years though.

No longer exists Meaning Is no longer in operation and was probably torn down at some point

And what school? I mean this is kind of the point. Does granddaughter or her family know what type of school?

I found out that there was a Walt Whitman School in New York city, NY that was a private grade school. But is this the one we are looking for? Or could we be looking for something else? Like a ballet school? Or a boarding school? Or a public grammar school? Or what? Did George ever talk about what happened when he went to that school? Like did he actually get to speak with Ms. Louise Kruger? Or did someone else stop him?

The more knowledge about this school, a name of someone that George spoke to, etc, could be a huge break in this case. We have very little to go on, but I'm certainly not finished.

Actually Teresa, here is where the wording comes in. I know I read somewhere that George was not allowed to see the little girl. So does that mean that this little girl was at the school when he got there? Did he perhaps see her on her way into the school, and when he went into the office they stopped him there? Did he catch a glimpse of her, because the wording suggests she was at the school and someone stopped him from speaking with her.

Actually Teresa, here is where the wording comes in. I know I read somewhere that George was not allowed to see the little girl. So does that mean that this little girl was at the school when he got there? Did he perhaps see her on her way into the school, and when he went into the office they stopped him there? Did he catch a glimpse of her, because the wording suggests she was at the school and someone stopped him from speaking with her.

If you read the story/posts it says Mr Sodder went to the school but they wouldn't let him see her or give him any information. I have no idea who he spoke to it doesn't say. I don't know if anybody knows who he spoke with either.

Our library friend had just written to us. She found the ballet fashion show, and wrote to tell me that this is just another dead end. The fashion show has older teenagers, not children. It says nothing about Walt Whitman school or anything else. She hasn't given up yet, but she is quickly running out of ways to find this photo. Any ideas would be appreciated. I just wrote to her and asked about an ad for either a private school or a ballet school just to see if that helps give her a new angle to search.

This is what I got off of the Gotham center discussion. May be a lead. Going to give the school a call tomorrow, because I have unlimited long distance.

There is a Walt Whitman school in Brooklyn, built in the early 30's.
Now it's I.S. 246/ Walt Whitman School.
72 Veronica Place
Brooklyn, NY 11226
(718) 282-5230
It's very close to Erasmus Hall High School.
I know that ballet and many other creative classes were available in the school system in that era, not like today....
I hope this lead helps.
Good luck, catsy!

That's wonderful that you got a reply on that discussion board. Keeping my fingers crossed that others see it and hopefully it will jog someone's memory.

Granddaughter,

With a court order you and your family can search through all of the photos from the schools from that year, and find the one supposedly of Betty Sodder. Finding info now on how you can get that court order.

Need to know if your willing to do this granddaughter. May be our only lead on this case.

Okay guys I just called that orphanage and they are doing some digging for us. They have my phone number and are going to search for this photo. I really tend to believe the photo may have been from their orphanage, and they are searching for it now. As for the school, granddaughter it's all you. You need to call that school number, and they will help you learn of how to get that court order you need, and once you get it you can sift through all of the photos and find Betty's photo, if it did come from that school.

Granddaughter,

With a court order you and your family can search through all of the photos from the schools from that year, and find the one supposedly of Betty Sodder. Finding info now on how you can get that court order.
Catsy, you are great! The only thing with finding a picture of Betty, if she went to that school, is she would have gotten there after school pictures were taken in the fall-since she disappeared in December and probably would not have gone back to school to early January eliminating (sp?)her from the pictures taken that year. The picture of the ballet class appeared in May 46 some five months after her disappearance. One good thing is, however, if she went to the school the following year there should be a picture of her that fall.

Keep going!

The thing is that if this photo was placed in a magazine, it could have been taken at any time at all. I hear that LOOK took a lot of kid's photos at the time, to put in their magazine. So did Life and Time. Now, I was told by the orphanage people that if Betty's photo was put into a magazine, they have a lot of people who made scrapbooks who went to that orphanage, and families of people who made scrapbooks of their moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas and kept a lot of the photos, and magazine pictures. We may be in luck if she was put there. I am beginning to think that these children were spread out, if you will. One sent here, one sent there. Or perhaps, and I hate to say this, some of them killed. Why Betty was placed in New York? It's possible that someone maybe fell in love with her. She was only five, and it takes a very hardened person to kill a five year old defenseless child. Perhaps someone fell in love with her, was too scared of jail time or the mob to keep her, and knew this orphanage would take any child and was a good place to send a child.

ALSO --- If the magazine put the wrong info on the photo... Welp that would explain the wrong date, the wrong address, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starrynight8974
Back