Group searching abandoned mines for Susan Powell

Holding Susan in my thoughts and hoping she'll be found soon.

I'm planning to get out into the West Desert this week, as the weather looks promising. In doing the continued research, I came across an article with photos that I thought might be interesting to give a better feel for the place and the challenges in looking for Susan.

http://cruiseroutfitters.com/PG_WestDesert_June07.html

I almost disregarded this one..... I do think a mine is still the most likely place...

Then I realized it is 30 minutes from Josh Powell's parents house. That is really close to have a body turn up when your wife is missing...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...22.429581&sspn=0.112245,0.220757&ie=UTF8&z=11

This would have to fit in with the theory of her being moved when he went up there for Christmas and the vigil for her.

Normally, that wouldn't have been a possibility... because normally law enforcement should have been watching him. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case here. It is completely possible that he moved her 2 days after her disappearance, or 2 weeks after.

We have to remember that this was December... so we wouldn't be dealing with a regular decomposition rate.

I still think it's highly unlikely... but he IS just sick enough to move her on his way to the vigil for her. Especially if he had already decided to move back to Washington... he would want her up there so he could still keep an eye on her. I find it hard to believe he would move to Washington if she was in Utah...

They should know soon if it is a man or woman...(it sounds like they don't think it's a child.)

Skull Found Near Joint Base Lewis - McChord

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013155757_apwaskullfound.html

http://www.yelmonline.com/articles/2010/10/14/first_report/doc4cb743357a4cd193093214.txt

OMG. This was only a skull....where's the rest of the body?

If the body was originally buried, only the skull may have been uncovered on it's own.

The body has obviously been there a length of time to be skeletonized... animals could have easily contributed to the area the body is located on.

Or yes... it could be a brutal homicide where the body isn't all in one place. But that's pretty unlikely.

That's why it sucks when someone IS buried or concealed... because it's harder to find them. But when you DO find them they are usually all right there. Where if they are just put out in the open it might be easier to find them, but if you don't then you have a lot less to work with when you finally do find them.

I still think the mines are the most likely place for Josh to have put her... it is just the weather that has me hesitating. It would be so difficult to get to any of them....

OMG. This was only a skull....where's the rest of the body?

Army criminal investigators and military police officers found additional items Thursday in a heavily wooded area of Joint Base Lewis-McChord where a human skull was found the day before.

Investigators declined to be more specific about what the items were, base spokesman Joe Piek said.

Meanwhile, a forensic anthropologist was to visit the scene today and help with the recovery of the skull and other items, Piek said. The anthropologist will examine the items to determine the gender, age, possible identity and how long the person has been dead.

“We don’t have any of those details,” Piek said.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/10/15/1669904/pierce-county-more-items-found.html

There were an amazing number of people in SUVs, higher in the hills around Black Mountain and Topaz Mountain, and at the Geode Beds this past weekend.

I wonder if the family and friends have talked to the seasoned rockhounds, so they can at least be aware that Susan is missing. There were so many eyes everywhere, looking at the ground and also hunters and runners there too this weekend.

The weather in the desert is completely different than in Salt Lake. Much warmer, even at night, at least at this time of the year, but we've been out in January and the snow is patchy and nothing left but mud pretty quickly. I don't think endured much more than a washboard road and the one coming in from Wendover is not bad at all. The one from 10 mi. north of Delta is paved all the way over to within just a few miles of Topaz Mountain, too. A few people were running generators-- during the day for air conditioning.

I saw a show on tv the other night talking about the newly found crystal mines in Mexico. I had no idea that crystals would grow that way or be that big.
Since the child said that his mommy went to hunt for crystals in the mine, it makes me wonder if there are there any mines in the area that have crystals growing in them? Or, is it a normal occurrence?
Would a child just know the word crystal or did someone mention it to him?

Just popping in hoping, wishing, and wanting news on the searches for Susan. GB all of the searchers.

The rock hounds chip away at the cavity in the mountain to find the topaz crystals and then there are caves. We saw one cave that children had turned into a fort. These aren't what I think of when I think of an amethyst cave, which of course I've never actually seen, either.

Just checking to see if there have been any updates.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back